Carlow Forum

O'Gorman Mahon's

(Oldest Posts First)

this team played in the Carlow SF championship for a couple of years at the end of the 90s, unless im mistaken. think they were an amalgamation of 2 or 3 intermediate teams from out the wexford road

can someone give me some info on which clubs were involved, what jersey they wore, where the name comes from, and how they did in their time together?

thinlizzy (Carlow) - Posts: 261 - 31/10/2008 12:04:49    130750

Link

O'Gorman Mahon's was a division team set up in the mid 90's comprising of players from Ballon and the Fighting Cocks. They did well initially, reaching a county semi-final but petered out over the following years.

There were a number of divisional sides in that period - partly because of Eire Og's dominance of Carlow and Leinster at the time.

TAFKANO1FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 588 - 31/10/2008 13:50:09    130899

Link

I seem to remember Kilbride being involved in the O gorman Mahons set-up,the reason for this is i think i remember one of the foleys from kilbride getting a serious injury while playing for o gorman mahons,can anyone confirm this and i think they wore a maroon and white kit

Carlowgaafan (Carlow) - Posts: 20 - 31/10/2008 17:51:57    131199

Link

O'Gorman Mahons were Ballon , Fighting Cocks and Kilbride combined.They played senior for one season in 1999.They had no success and were disbanded shortly after.The team wore maroon and white. is the person asking this question writing a History of Carlow GAA ?

boggan.man (Carlow) - Posts: 14 - 05/11/2008 22:21:35    134651

Link

nope

for some reason i had the name in my head and decided this was the best way to find out what their story was

any idea where the name comes from?

thinlizzy (Carlow) - Posts: 261 - 06/11/2008 03:02:13    134807

Link

In reply to Thin Lizzy about the origin of the name O'Gorman Mahon as you can see it's the name I use on this site. The O'Gorman-Mahon was a native of Clare. He was born James Patrick O'Gorman in Newpark and was the eldest son of Patrick Mahon. He attended the newly founded college at Clongowes and was awarded a BA from Trinity College. He was later appointed a magistrate in Clare. He supported Daniel O'Connell when he was elected in 1828. He married a young Dublin lady who had inherited money and he began spending it freely. He was elected to the House of Commons in 1830. He had a very colourful career. He was elected for Carlow unopposed in 1887 at the behest of Parnell. He was over eighty years at the time. When he was signing the Register in the House of Commons he apparently forgot which constituency he represented and someone had to tell him. He was very eccentric. The name The O'Gorman Mahon is a name he gave himself as he was trying to let on he had an Irish title. He died in 1891. It is thought that he never visited Carlow.
Why Ballon called its GAA club after him I suggest only God knows at this stage but I'd like to hear from anyone in Ballon if they have any ideas on it.

ogormanmahon (Tipperary) - Posts: 66 - 10/11/2008 15:33:29    137677

Link

Replying To ogormanmahon:  "In reply to Thin Lizzy about the origin of the name O'Gorman Mahon as you can see it's the name I use on this site. The O'Gorman-Mahon was a native of Clare. He was born James Patrick O'Gorman in Newpark and was the eldest son of Patrick Mahon. He attended the newly founded college at Clongowes and was awarded a BA from Trinity College. He was later appointed a magistrate in Clare. He supported Daniel O'Connell when he was elected in 1828. He married a young Dublin lady who had inherited money and he began spending it freely. He was elected to the House of Commons in 1830. He had a very colourful career. He was elected for Carlow unopposed in 1887 at the behest of Parnell. He was over eighty years at the time. When he was signing the Register in the House of Commons he apparently forgot which constituency he represented and someone had to tell him. He was very eccentric. The name The O'Gorman Mahon is a name he gave himself as he was trying to let on he had an Irish title. He died in 1891. It is thought that he never visited Carlow.
Why Ballon called its GAA club after him I suggest only God knows at this stage but I'd like to hear from anyone in Ballon if they have any ideas on it."
There was also an early hurling team in East Clare called The O'Gorman Mahons (in Killenana, part of Feakle parish)

DeclanB (Clare) - Posts: 1 - 18/07/2019 18:52:04    2212869

Link

Junior football club in South Dublin too.probably gone now.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 293 - 19/07/2019 01:58:07    2213012

Link