Fermanagh Forum

Rory Gallagher Steps Down

(Oldest Posts First)

With it now confirmed that Rory Gallagher has left his position as Fermanagh manager , surely Malachy O'Rourke is the front runner if he is in any way interested. I am surprised and there will definitely be a reason for him leaving , players not being able to commit next year possibly ?

shotgun (Fermanagh) - Posts: 74 - 29/07/2019 13:45:07    2218182

Link

Replying To shotgun:  "With it now confirmed that Rory Gallagher has left his position as Fermanagh manager , surely Malachy O'Rourke is the front runner if he is in any way interested. I am surprised and there will definitely be a reason for him leaving , players not being able to commit next year possibly ?"
Hard to know, I am sure word will break soon on why he left! Malachy would definitely be 1st choice but if we couldn't get him are there any other local men qualified or capable of taking the job?

allfermanagh (Fermanagh) - Posts: 66 - 29/07/2019 13:53:02    2218193

Link

Replying To allfermanagh:  "Hard to know, I am sure word will break soon on why he left! Malachy would definitely be 1st choice but if we couldn't get him are there any other local men qualified or capable of taking the job?"
Wouldn't be sure off the top of my head. I just hope everyone is available next year as it would be far more difficult if some didn't commit. Considering how small the pool of players is.

shotgun (Fermanagh) - Posts: 74 - 29/07/2019 14:57:30    2218241

Link

I would be thinking a few lads have not made themselves available for next year.. Gallagher would have wanted to know this as early as possible as there are a few other managerial positions up for grabs at the minute.

In fairness to Gallagher and his backroom team they seemed to have left no stone unturned during his tenure, going to be hard to get a management team together that will have the same calibre as those who have left.

Fermanagh should go all out to try and get Malachy. Not going to be an easy sell in my books.

green_army (Fermanagh) - Posts: 17 - 29/07/2019 15:37:58    2218264

Link

I'd say Dom corrigan will be the first name tossed into the hat. From reading various news articles Malachy is taking a year out from managing. Archie Greene a possible shot?

jimmyjojo1 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 18 - 29/07/2019 15:48:03    2218269

Link

Replying To green_army:  "I would be thinking a few lads have not made themselves available for next year.. Gallagher would have wanted to know this as early as possible as there are a few other managerial positions up for grabs at the minute.

In fairness to Gallagher and his backroom team they seemed to have left no stone unturned during his tenure, going to be hard to get a management team together that will have the same calibre as those who have left.

Fermanagh should go all out to try and get Malachy. Not going to be an easy sell in my books."
I would agree. Malachy O'Rourke would be a fantastic addition to Fermanagh Gaa. He is also a very capable manager of bringing youth through the system which is very much needed right now

Unfortunately I do believe he could have offers else where in Ireland for some bigger jobs. Fermanagh Senior team is a massive project and one hard job to take and be successful with(Success as in staying in division 2)

For me Dominic Corrigan would be an option, Done very well with killyclogher and St Michael's team in the last few years so you cant over look him. Outside of Dominic I cant see the appointment being a local one. Anyone have any insight on the counties next move?

Allaboutclub (Fermanagh) - Posts: 67 - 29/07/2019 15:51:21    2218270

Link

Replying To jimmyjojo1:  "I'd say Dom corrigan will be the first name tossed into the hat. From reading various news articles Malachy is taking a year out from managing. Archie Greene a possible shot?"
I don't Know much about Archie Greene out side of his fantastic achievement with the Harps, but I do know he knows Fermanagh football so I wouldn't see it as a bad appointment

Allaboutclub (Fermanagh) - Posts: 67 - 29/07/2019 16:05:50    2218286

Link

Its not a shock,was thinking that would be confirmation either way if staying or not before club championship started.

Looking at the 2019 campaign,dont think there would be many retirements,while the likes of Che Cullen seems 100% committed even with the travelling from Hungary. So not sure if players commitment could be a factor,id say more likely backroom team,if Ricey wasnt going to stay for 2020 that could have been a factor.

On reflection maybe Rory feels that maximised what could do with current team Ulster Final and 3rd in Division Two, not to be underestimated. On number of occasions this year the lack of "marquee forward" was highlighted after close games,they dont grow on trees,while we were unlucky that Sean Quigley had injuries during the championship campaign.

On possible candidates, Dom Corrigan be an obvious name linked with it, Malachy O Rourke seems to want a deserved break from inter county so timing too soon for him sadly. Kieran Donnelly with Scotstown maybe another in frame.

Staying in Division Two is going to be the main aim for 2020 and try gradually bring through some of the impressive under 20S to senior county football.

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 868 - 29/07/2019 16:15:26    2218296

Link

Don't think we could afford Dom .. that was the word before Rory took over .. its said that his required "team" costed too much .. I pray Malachy takes it ... I think it's no coincidence that Rory steps aside shortly after Malachy became free all the same!! We need someone with RECENT intercounty experience and success ... so I'd say Mal will get first refusal anyway.. here's hoping also the appointment gets made before club championship starts !

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 180 - 30/07/2019 00:30:59    2218552

Link

Replying To macca999:  "Its not a shock,was thinking that would be confirmation either way if staying or not before club championship started.

Looking at the 2019 campaign,dont think there would be many retirements,while the likes of Che Cullen seems 100% committed even with the travelling from Hungary. So not sure if players commitment could be a factor,id say more likely backroom team,if Ricey wasnt going to stay for 2020 that could have been a factor.

On reflection maybe Rory feels that maximised what could do with current team Ulster Final and 3rd in Division Two, not to be underestimated. On number of occasions this year the lack of "marquee forward" was highlighted after close games,they dont grow on trees,while we were unlucky that Sean Quigley had injuries during the championship campaign.

On possible candidates, Dom Corrigan be an obvious name linked with it, Malachy O Rourke seems to want a deserved break from inter county so timing too soon for him sadly. Kieran Donnelly with Scotstown maybe another in frame.

Staying in Division Two is going to be the main aim for 2020 and try gradually bring through some of the impressive under 20S to senior county football."
Hope you are right. Committing from Hungary 2 years in a row would be a massive sacrifice and fair play to him if he does.
I've heard rumours of certain players possibly heading to America / Australia as well for the year so I definitely think this was a factor in Rory Gallagher leaving.

shotgun (Fermanagh) - Posts: 74 - 30/07/2019 17:32:50    2218815

Link

Ricey has been offered the job and is the only person county board have contacted about it

Big_joe74 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 10 - 31/07/2019 14:51:34    2219117

Link

Replying To Big_joe74:  "Ricey has been offered the job and is the only person county board have contacted about it"
Wouldn't be the worst person to appoint but his lack of experience may be an issue but he knows the lads which is always a plus!

Joe you must be pretty well connected to be getting this information?

allfermanagh (Fermanagh) - Posts: 66 - 31/07/2019 15:41:22    2219140

Link

I was having a look through Monaghan's forums on who the next manager will be!

Alot of them have no interest in Gallagher going to them, don't think the Monaghan fans realise the caliber of manager he is.

allfermanagh (Fermanagh) - Posts: 66 - 01/08/2019 12:51:43    2219406

Link