Sligo Forum

Club Championships 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Sligoman1234:  "Salthill/Knocknacarra would be the biggest I'd imagine. Bigger than several of our clubs put together. Castlebar Mitchells would have plenty to pick from too.

Did Shamrock Gaels not reach the Connacht final last year also in Intermediate?"
Don't recall it if so, I think they were beaten by a team from Roscommon in the semi but open to correction on that. I had forgotten Easkeys junior run last year until pointed out! One thing is clear though is that our clubs struggle in the provincials and be nice to get some success

maximus_1 (Sligo) - Posts: 5 - 24/10/2019 11:07:42    2245406

Link

Replying To dissentinggael:  "the 'amalgamation of OMG and St. Johns for Minor was a joke. Should never have happened, membership of OMG and Co Board should never have agreed to it, but it was a 'done deal' to suit St Johns not wanting to break up its U16 team.

Amalgamations at underage level are a joke full stop. Why are they being done. Who cares or remembers what a cobbled together team of U12s win a league. What about the fringe lads and lassies in each of the amalgmated clubs ?. They are thrown on the scrap heap at 11"
Agree on that Owenmore Gaels/St Johns one, with the populations in both clubs that they would need to amalgamate at any grade should not happen and serious questions need to be asked.

In other instances though its a case of amalgamate or lads won't get football as I know in some of the rural clubs the numbers they have are tiny and they simply cannot get 13 lads out to play, they would love to but they can't. Rural populations are declining across the country and struggling GAA clubs is just one symptom. It's easy to come on here saying they shouldn't be allowed but that's the opinion of someone who I'm sure is not trying to keep the underage going in a rural club with smaller and smaller numbers. The fact of the matter is amalgamations are a necessary evil to give players a decent standard of football in some places, 11 a side competitions at C grade are terrible for player development. Good players run riot with all the space and when they make the step to senior 15 a side its like some of them are playing a different sport with the lack of space they suddenly have.

If you look back through the history books clubs have been amalgamating on and off for decades in Sligo football (I noted same at the presentation to the 50th anniversary team at the county final) and some of the current big name clubs like Eastern Harps and Shamrock Gaels its easy to forget are amalgamations just now well bedded in.

As long as the rural decline continues in Sligo and further afield you will continue to have amalgamations and in the urban areas where the populations are gravitating to you will have the opposite problem whereby they nearly have too many players to try and keep happy. I know some of the huge Dublin clubs are seeing this as an issue as they are bursting with young players and getting them games and pitches is getting harder to manage. Those are the facts and saying all amalgamations shouldn't be allowed or 'are a joke full stop' is a nothing argument. It's just part of a wider problem for the country, rural decline.

maximus_1 (Sligo) - Posts: 5 - 24/10/2019 11:25:23    2245411

Link

Replying To maximus_1:  "Agree on that Owenmore Gaels/St Johns one, with the populations in both clubs that they would need to amalgamate at any grade should not happen and serious questions need to be asked.

In other instances though its a case of amalgamate or lads won't get football as I know in some of the rural clubs the numbers they have are tiny and they simply cannot get 13 lads out to play, they would love to but they can't. Rural populations are declining across the country and struggling GAA clubs is just one symptom. It's easy to come on here saying they shouldn't be allowed but that's the opinion of someone who I'm sure is not trying to keep the underage going in a rural club with smaller and smaller numbers. The fact of the matter is amalgamations are a necessary evil to give players a decent standard of football in some places, 11 a side competitions at C grade are terrible for player development. Good players run riot with all the space and when they make the step to senior 15 a side its like some of them are playing a different sport with the lack of space they suddenly have.

If you look back through the history books clubs have been amalgamating on and off for decades in Sligo football (I noted same at the presentation to the 50th anniversary team at the county final) and some of the current big name clubs like Eastern Harps and Shamrock Gaels its easy to forget are amalgamations just now well bedded in.

As long as the rural decline continues in Sligo and further afield you will continue to have amalgamations and in the urban areas where the populations are gravitating to you will have the opposite problem whereby they nearly have too many players to try and keep happy. I know some of the huge Dublin clubs are seeing this as an issue as they are bursting with young players and getting them games and pitches is getting harder to manage. Those are the facts and saying all amalgamations shouldn't be allowed or 'are a joke full stop' is a nothing argument. It's just part of a wider problem for the country, rural decline."
I don't think anyone is suggesting "it's a joke, full stop."

Of course there are times where it's a necessity. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure there was a 'C' minor competition and the 'C' U16 competition was 13 a side.
11 a side is pretty much another sport as you've rightly pointed out.

I have played 'A', 'B' and 'C' championships in my time and each was intense and important as the other.

The issue is whereby teams do have the numbers to field in a 'B' competition. Maybe 13 a side. Maybe a few younger lads. Maybe a few so-called 'average' footballers. So what?

I am already seeing instances where these lads are leaving football and very often sport a whole. Is that what the GAA is all about? Telling lads we'd be better off with players from another parish than letting them play for their club?

I know this because I'm from one of these clubs. I have saw times where we just had to amalgamate and brought every available resource into that panel. On the other hand, I've seen times where we've done it on the basis of winning and the lads that were on the fringes don't get involved in the club anymore. If that's the attitude, our pools will get smaller and smaller until we've 10 or 12 clubs left in the county.

Is it OK because "they done it 50 years ago"? No. Absolutely not.
We want more players in Sligo. That's how we improve. We want all or most of the lads (and ladies) going into school on a Wednesday talking about the bloodbath of a game they were involved in on a Tuesday evening. Not a few from different clubs and the rest talking about the new game they got for their PlayStation or Xbox.

Not every child will be interested in football. In my experience however, the majority will and the GAA is about inclusion. Mass amalgamation will finish Sligo football. Mark my words.

Remember that I am saying that it is necessary at times. But go through each of the teams in Sligo at underage in the past 5 years and tell me they have been a necessity. All I'd ask is that the county board takes very seriously any decision to allow two clubs to amalgamate. It's for the good of our future development.

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 74 - 24/10/2019 12:51:07    2245433

Link

Replying To maximus_1:  "Agree on that Owenmore Gaels/St Johns one, with the populations in both clubs that they would need to amalgamate at any grade should not happen and serious questions need to be asked.

As long as the rural decline continues in Sligo and further afield you will continue to have amalgamations and in the urban areas where the populations are gravitating to you will have the opposite problem whereby they nearly have too many players to try and keep happy. I know some of the huge Dublin clubs are seeing this as an issue as they are bursting with young players and getting them games and pitches is getting harder to manage. Those are the facts and saying all amalgamations shouldn't be allowed or 'are a joke full stop' is a nothing argument. It's just part of a wider problem for the country, rural decline."
From the CSO website:

"Sligo - The county with the biggest change in rate of urbanisation since 2011 (from 37% urban to 40%)."

It does lay bear that you have a point. I say, Marys have to give every rural team in the county a player on loan and pay for thei digs :)

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 74 - 24/10/2019 12:54:20    2245436

Link

Replying To westsligoawakes:  "I don't think anyone is suggesting "it's a joke, full stop."

Of course there are times where it's a necessity. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure there was a 'C' minor competition and the 'C' U16 competition was 13 a side.
11 a side is pretty much another sport as you've rightly pointed out.

I have played 'A', 'B' and 'C' championships in my time and each was intense and important as the other.

The issue is whereby teams do have the numbers to field in a 'B' competition. Maybe 13 a side. Maybe a few younger lads. Maybe a few so-called 'average' footballers. So what?

I am already seeing instances where these lads are leaving football and very often sport a whole. Is that what the GAA is all about? Telling lads we'd be better off with players from another parish than letting them play for their club?

I know this because I'm from one of these clubs. I have saw times where we just had to amalgamate and brought every available resource into that panel. On the other hand, I've seen times where we've done it on the basis of winning and the lads that were on the fringes don't get involved in the club anymore. If that's the attitude, our pools will get smaller and smaller until we've 10 or 12 clubs left in the county.

Is it OK because "they done it 50 years ago"? No. Absolutely not.
We want more players in Sligo. That's how we improve. We want all or most of the lads (and ladies) going into school on a Wednesday talking about the bloodbath of a game they were involved in on a Tuesday evening. Not a few from different clubs and the rest talking about the new game they got for their PlayStation or Xbox.

Not every child will be interested in football. In my experience however, the majority will and the GAA is about inclusion. Mass amalgamation will finish Sligo football. Mark my words.

Remember that I am saying that it is necessary at times. But go through each of the teams in Sligo at underage in the past 5 years and tell me they have been a necessity. All I'd ask is that the county board takes very seriously any decision to allow two clubs to amalgamate. It's for the good of our future development."
I remember our club in C minor 11 a side a few years ago in Sligo and we had the bare 11 most nights, you were lucky to have one sub and the hassle of trying to get a team out on the actual field was absolutely draining. Our club now simply does not have the population in the national school to make up 11 a side boys teams (never mind 13 or 15), we would love to be on our own as amalgamations are additional hassle but we have no choice. We have a very high percentage of kids playing football (I'd wager much higher than some more populous areas) as we have to try and maximise everything but the maths simply don't add up. In some cases I acknowledge that it can be a case of an easy option or not enough kids in an area playing Gaelic football. For example a town of Ballymotes size I'd imagine has the population to put out their own teams but for whatever reason they can't get enough of them out playing hence they are amalgamated. Same applies to the aforementioned Johns/Owenmore Gaels minor thing.

I know you are saying and agreeing it is sometime necessary but in the rural clubs with small national schools its about survival. It is key for the county board to make sure its only when necessary and work with clubs but I have seen no evidence of them doing that thus far. We need more coaching officer in schools etc selling the GAA Vs the XBox on a Tuesday evening but that's a whole other conversation. I could rant more but have to go to work!

maximus_1 (Sligo) - Posts: 5 - 24/10/2019 14:26:10    2245469

Link

Tourlestrane go into action on Sunday in the Connacht Championship. Everyone seems to think that they should win but it's a notion based more on romance than actual facts. This is Pearses first time playing in Connacht and a lot of people believe they are on the piss since they won their Roscommon Final. They probably drank a drop surely but they had the luxury of an extra week to prepare for this game due to their final been held earlier than Tourlestrane's. They also have a manager that wants more success on his C.V for his next job. Throw in a few hardy Co boys that have loads of experience and the Tourlestrane mission seems a lot tougher. The fact is no one knows what Tourlestrane are like (and that probably includes themselves) Only team to give them a game in this year's championship was Drumcliffe who are a Div 2 team. Does that mean that Tourlestrane are a brilliant team or does it point to the fact that club football in poor in Sligo. I hope Tourlestrane win, we badly need a boost.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 663 - 31/10/2019 11:59:27    2246766

Link

You would like to think a big Sligo support will be there on Sunday for Tourlestrane. You can't be underestimating Roscommon teams, they have a lot more success than us at every level. But this is a massive opportunity for Tourlestrane who must of been looking to peak now, I never rated Flanagan too highly so you would hope Tour will have an advantage on the line. Id have a lot of belief in this Tourlestrane team so my expectations are pretty high but I know Roscommon football and wouldn't be surprised if they put us back on our arse's. Best of Luck.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1491 - 01/11/2019 15:00:22    2247009

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Tourlestrane go into action on Sunday in the Connacht Championship. Everyone seems to think that they should win but it's a notion based more on romance than actual facts. This is Pearses first time playing in Connacht and a lot of people believe they are on the piss since they won their Roscommon Final. They probably drank a drop surely but they had the luxury of an extra week to prepare for this game due to their final been held earlier than Tourlestrane's. They also have a manager that wants more success on his C.V for his next job. Throw in a few hardy Co boys that have loads of experience and the Tourlestrane mission seems a lot tougher. The fact is no one knows what Tourlestrane are like (and that probably includes themselves) Only team to give them a game in this year's championship was Drumcliffe who are a Div 2 team. Does that mean that Tourlestrane are a brilliant team or does it point to the fact that club football in poor in Sligo. I hope Tourlestrane win, we badly need a boost."
Who's the everyone? In Sligo I presume as Pearses are favourites with the bookies to win a tight game.

Pearses didn't have a week off. They played and lost a league semi final to Clann na nGael where Donie Shine was to the fore scoring 1-7.

Last year Tourlestrane pushed Ballintubber all the way and many had the view they would have won if Liam Gaughan had played. Ballintubber are agurably a better team than Pearses certainly a more experienced team. While Pat Flanagan has struggled at county level his record in club football management is impressive having now led clubs in Offaly, Westmeath and Roscommon to titles.

A dour defensive game on Sunday won't be a surprise and it might be a bad temper encounter also. Pearses will need to mind their discipline in order to win. Tourlestranes best chance of winning is doing a good marking job on Pearses two main scorers.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2587 - 01/11/2019 15:31:54    2247011

Link

Died like a dog as donald trump said.
And o hara with some bizarre after match waffle.

OhtobeARossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 1366 - 03/11/2019 18:32:12    2247469

Link

Tourestrane are miles ahead of every team n sligo and there miles behind senior clubs n connacht, sligo football is n a Dyer state ....

Timmy86 (Sligo) - Posts: 98 - 03/11/2019 19:04:16    2247475

Link

Met lots of Tourlestrane supporters. They have had enough. 6 points this year against Pearses. 5 points last year against Ballintubber. Best team in Sligo but with the tactics employed in Connacht an absolute embarrassment. Expect a change..

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 663 - 03/11/2019 22:56:38    2247543

Link

I said here after the county semi final that I didn't think Tourlestrane were really that good a team, by which I meant that in the sense that they should be enjoying such a overwhelming dominance of Sligo football as they do right now, and a fair few seemed to disagree. Might be no harm to consider that after another one-and-done in Connacht by them, and their worst defeat in it yet. The optimism that seemed to be around about their chances in Connacht was a bit of a mystery, and as it turns out misplaced.

In their credit, in this decade they have won six championships, including the last four in a row, not done since the 60s. They have also won eight league titles, the last five in a row, and 7 out of 8. And they have had some ridiculous run like only losing 1 or 2 league games in that time, as well as being unbeaten in about 25 games or so in championship. It is fair going to be fair to them, to keep up that level of success.

Against that though they have now lost their last six Connacht club ties, and a team that has posted such big scores inside the county has managed just 0-5, 0-9, 0-5 and 0-6 in the last four years in Connacht. And you're going back to the early 90's since they beat a non-Leitrim team in it. When you see what Mullinalaghta achieved last year, where they were showing signs of being competitive in Leinster even before they broke through, it does show them up a bit.

But the real problem in looking at their success is a simple one, what is it that they have beaten? Club football in the county is surely at its worst standard going back to the 90's. In the previous decade you had the three big teams Curry/Harps/Tour driving each other on, with another 6 or 7 teams dipping in and out of title contention but generally able to put it up to any of the three on a given day. And the county champions were able to compete with and occasionally beat the top teams in Connacht. Now you have two teams that contested Connacht finals in a mess, Harps are barely staying in senior but Curry couldn't even manage that. And how many clubs can say that the team they have now is better than what they had in the previous decade? Not too many I'd say. This isn't Tourlestrane's fault of course and it's not something that'll be solved easily or quickly, but it does reflect where football in the county is right now.

The other thing worth noting is that for a team that are so far ahead of the rest in the county, their contribution to the county team has been so limited. Only McIntyre I think played in the championship this year and there was maybe a handful more involved in the panel. Now it's not unusual that a good solid team without any real stars can achieve a lot in many counties, it happens often enough, but surely not to be so far ahead of the pack as they are. The combination of being so far ahead to make the club scene seem so uncompetitive - as probably reflected by such a badly attended county final - along with them then not making any headway in the provincial championship, never mind being genuine contenders, and then not driving the county team on at all, all makes for a very frustrating picture.

ChasingShadows (Sligo) - Posts: 44 - 04/11/2019 12:39:54    2247637

Link

Replying To ChasingShadows:  "I said here after the county semi final that I didn't think Tourlestrane were really that good a team, by which I meant that in the sense that they should be enjoying such a overwhelming dominance of Sligo football as they do right now, and a fair few seemed to disagree. Might be no harm to consider that after another one-and-done in Connacht by them, and their worst defeat in it yet. The optimism that seemed to be around about their chances in Connacht was a bit of a mystery, and as it turns out misplaced.

In their credit, in this decade they have won six championships, including the last four in a row, not done since the 60s. They have also won eight league titles, the last five in a row, and 7 out of 8. And they have had some ridiculous run like only losing 1 or 2 league games in that time, as well as being unbeaten in about 25 games or so in championship. It is fair going to be fair to them, to keep up that level of success.

Against that though they have now lost their last six Connacht club ties, and a team that has posted such big scores inside the county has managed just 0-5, 0-9, 0-5 and 0-6 in the last four years in Connacht. And you're going back to the early 90's since they beat a non-Leitrim team in it. When you see what Mullinalaghta achieved last year, where they were showing signs of being competitive in Leinster even before they broke through, it does show them up a bit.

But the real problem in looking at their success is a simple one, what is it that they have beaten? Club football in the county is surely at its worst standard going back to the 90's. In the previous decade you had the three big teams Curry/Harps/Tour driving each other on, with another 6 or 7 teams dipping in and out of title contention but generally able to put it up to any of the three on a given day. And the county champions were able to compete with and occasionally beat the top teams in Connacht. Now you have two teams that contested Connacht finals in a mess, Harps are barely staying in senior but Curry couldn't even manage that. And how many clubs can say that the team they have now is better than what they had in the previous decade? Not too many I'd say. This isn't Tourlestrane's fault of course and it's not something that'll be solved easily or quickly, but it does reflect where football in the county is right now.

The other thing worth noting is that for a team that are so far ahead of the rest in the county, their contribution to the county team has been so limited. Only McIntyre I think played in the championship this year and there was maybe a handful more involved in the panel. Now it's not unusual that a good solid team without any real stars can achieve a lot in many counties, it happens often enough, but surely not to be so far ahead of the pack as they are. The combination of being so far ahead to make the club scene seem so uncompetitive - as probably reflected by such a badly attended county final - along with them then not making any headway in the provincial championship, never mind being genuine contenders, and then not driving the county team on at all, all makes for a very frustrating picture."
Nail on the head post for sure. Sligo club football is certainly very poor at the moment and nothing like it was 10/15 years ago, I remember league matches in Div 1 with bigger crowds than at championship matches this year, and you used to pay into league games! Tourlestrane of course can only beat what's put in front of them in Sligo but unfortunately very little is being put in front of them.

maximus_1 (Sligo) - Posts: 5 - 05/11/2019 10:33:27    2247847

Link

Replying To maximus_1:  "Nail on the head post for sure. Sligo club football is certainly very poor at the moment and nothing like it was 10/15 years ago, I remember league matches in Div 1 with bigger crowds than at championship matches this year, and you used to pay into league games! Tourlestrane of course can only beat what's put in front of them in Sligo but unfortunately very little is being put in front of them."
Looks like you cannot criticise a referee on this forum
Referee was excellent on Sunday. He got all the big decisions right especially the 2 penalty decisions at the start of second half. Definitely not a defining factor in the game. Fair play Jerome

Anto (Sligo) - Posts: 267 - 05/11/2019 12:49:05    2247888

Link

Replying To Anto:  "Looks like you cannot criticise a referee on this forum
Referee was excellent on Sunday. He got all the big decisions right especially the 2 penalty decisions at the start of second half. Definitely not a defining factor in the game. Fair play Jerome"
Is there a touch of Sarcasm there ???

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 663 - 05/11/2019 17:35:19    2247951

Link

Replying To Anto:  "Looks like you cannot criticise a referee on this forum
Referee was excellent on Sunday. He got all the big decisions right especially the 2 penalty decisions at the start of second half. Definitely not a defining factor in the game. Fair play Jerome"
Anto has had to take time out to get tongue removed from cheek

MrUnderhill (Sligo) - Posts: 3 - 05/11/2019 22:25:09    2248017

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Met lots of Tourlestrane supporters. They have had enough. 6 points this year against Pearses. 5 points last year against Ballintubber. Best team in Sligo but with the tactics employed in Connacht an absolute embarrassment. Expect a change.."
Tourlestrane's style of football is good enough for probably the weakest club scene in the country, but is so poor measured against anything else. Statistics don't lie!
As said on many previous occasions,the structure of the championship in Sligo is pathetic.
Whatever about the league - there should never be meaningless matches in a championship.
If a business was ran the way the championship is ran in Sligo it would be insolvent within a year.
On a broader level,coaches are being shown up all over the country for their lack of understanding of the fundamentals of the game. Trying to impose strategies from rugby and soccer and make GAA players adhere to this, is dishonest and disrespectful to the game. Gaelic football and hurling under the current rules ,is a spontaneous game with no offside , and that was its great attraction for the public. Some recent county finals were testamount to the negative influences that have infected the game and that is why very few neutrals bother going to games anymore. Winning a county championship in front of a handful of supporters hardly merits to be called success,especially if the best you can do the next day is score a half-dozen points.

Maggiepie (Sligo) - Posts: 207 - 07/11/2019 13:02:58    2248286

Link

Another hammering at intermediate level and u can b sure Michael's will get 1 too

Timmy86 (Sligo) - Posts: 98 - 10/11/2019 00:02:31    2248837

Link

Replying To Timmy86:  "Another hammering at intermediate level and u can b sure Michael's will get 1 too"
It's easy to say that, but the fundamentals of competition structure impact a lot on results .
Anybody at yesterday's game would have said at halftime that based on the first 30 mins Geevagh would win the game. But where you have a rural club with nothing on the bench of the calibre required at this level, versus a club where practically every player was under pressure ,a dynamic takes hold that is hard to counter. The concession of 2 early goals after ht finished the game,but in truth there was not much in footballing terms between the two teams. The Neale started taking off their Best players first and what would Michael's or Geevagh give to be in that position.

Maggiepie (Sligo) - Posts: 207 - 10/11/2019 12:10:31    2248855

Link