Fermanagh Forum

Fermanagh Club Championships

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To krredhand:  "Just wouldn't be do confident of derrygonnelly having it in the bag, the leckers should be considered serious contenders now for the senior championship after their performance against the league toppers as derrygonnelly were never challenged the other night"
Great display of football from the leckers. Never say die attitude. Full of running great team work a joy to watch. Ederney will be kicking themselves for what really were two soft goals. I agree the first ref could have controlled the game better its always hard for an other ref to step in so far into the game but he did well.

gola (Fermanagh) - Posts: 299 - 11/08/2019 10:37:07    2223849

Link

I heard there was a bit a scene in the losers changing room afterwards, so the players weren't either happy with some players or management. Whether or not that is the case, the focus should be on the stars of the q/f that being Belnaleck who appeared to rattle Ederney's forwards and back to frustrate them in a manner that was unforeseen.
Although I wasn't at the game, I would disagree with Big Joe assumption's that his team Harps have it the bag. The championship isn't over so anything can happen given the shambles last night.
Good luck to our neighbours Belnaleck.

cillnaile. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 951 - 11/08/2019 12:34:49    2223912

Link

Intermediate Football Championship is a draw requiring a replay. The townies trailed all the way on until the very end and were lucky still to be in the championship. Enniskillen 0-08 Kinawley 0-08

cillnaile. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 951 - 11/08/2019 15:32:33    2224006

Link

Results:
Sun 11th Aug 19
Senior Football Championship
(QF4) Erne Gaels 0-7 Roslea 1-7
Intermediate Football Championship
(QF3) Irvinestown 1-11 Lisnaskea 1-10
(QF4) Enniskillen 0-8 Kinawley 0-8

Championships Draw:
Senior Football Championship Draw
Semi-finals:
Derrygonnelly v Belnaleck
Tempo v Roslea
Relegation Semi-finals;
Ederney v Teemore
Erne Gaels v Devenish
Intermediate Football Championship Draw
Semi-finals:
Belcoo or Aghadrumsee v Irvinestown
Donagh v Enniskillen or Kinawley
Loser Semi-finals
Belcoo or Aghadrumsee v Newtownbutler
Enniskillen or Kinawley v Lisnaskea

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1222 - 11/08/2019 20:14:43    2224258

Link

Replying To cillnaile.:  "Intermediate Football Championship is a draw requiring a replay. The townies trailed all the way on until the very end and were lucky still to be in the championship. Enniskillen 0-08 Kinawley 0-08"
Kinawley scored one point in the second half.
They were hanging on for dear life. Gaels butchered the only goal chance of the game which would have won the game.

jimmy1 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 8 - 11/08/2019 21:16:18    2224298

Link

Is it a fore gone conclusion that it will be a Derrygonnelly V Roslea final or is there any chance that there could be a major upset in either semi finals? Makes for good viewing for a neutral. On the basis of the quarter finals an upset could be on the cards. To my memory in the new format no 2nd division side has made the final (correct me if i'm wrong)?? When was the last time a 2nd division got to the final?

jimmyjojo1 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 18 - 12/08/2019 12:39:19    2224591

Link

Replying To jimmyjojo1:  "Is it a fore gone conclusion that it will be a Derrygonnelly V Roslea final or is there any chance that there could be a major upset in either semi finals? Makes for good viewing for a neutral. On the basis of the quarter finals an upset could be on the cards. To my memory in the new format no 2nd division side has made the final (correct me if i'm wrong)?? When was the last time a 2nd division got to the final?"
Jimmy JoJo, I think you may be a bit premature dismissing Belnaleck Art McMurroughs from being in the SFC final. Derrygonnelly have proved weaker in the league this season and not the team they were last season and that gives us confidence in the SFC semifinal encounter. Like on Sat night, we endeavour to dispatch Harps with a smart game plan as we did with Ederney. Good management is a key ingredient which has made Belnaleck Intermediate Champions last season and will hopefully continue on that successful pathway to make them Senior Champions 2019 and consequently bring back the NY Gold Cup after an 86 year absence and when we do so, Jimmy JoJo you are most welcome to come along and join us in our celebrations!!

TurnipHead. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 203 - 12/08/2019 13:45:53    2224638

Link

Looks like Skea or Magpies playing Junior Football next year

Blitzkrig (Fermanagh) - Posts: 7 - 14/08/2019 12:55:56    2225520

Link

Fri 16th Aug 19
Result:
Intermediate Football Championship QF1 Replay
Belcoo 3-7 Aghadrumsee 0-10

Fixtures update:
Semi-final:
Belcoo v Irvinestown
Loser Semi-final:
Aghadrumsee v Newtownbutler

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1222 - 16/08/2019 22:06:10    2226619

Link

Sat 17th Aug 19
Result:
Intermediate Football Championship QF4 Replay
Kinawley 2-7 Enniskillen 1-7

Fixtures update:
Semi-final:
Donagh v Kinawley
Loser Semi-final:
Enniskillen v Lisnaskea

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1222 - 17/08/2019 21:15:40    2226843

Link

It's peculiar or maybe not the the senior league toppers, Ederney and Enniskillen are now fighting for survival in the respective championship category. I suppose the championship does bring to the fore the best teams as demonstrated nationally too. However, I think club football in Fermanagh is in a sad stage but is it fixable?

cillnaile. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 951 - 18/08/2019 12:47:39    2226966

Link

Results:
Sun 18th Aug 19
Reserve A Football Championship
QF1 Donagh 0-8 Enniskillen 0-11
QF2 Derrygonnelly 4-7 Lisnaskea 1-9
QF3 Roslea 2-8 Devenish 2-11
QF4 Teemore 1-5 Kinawley 0-6
Reserve B Football Championship
QF1 Newtownbutler 1-14 Brookeboro 0-10
QF2 Tempo 1-9 Maguiresbridge 4-5
QF3 Ederney 0-9 Irvinestown 1-12
QF4 Aghadrumsee 1-5 Belnaleck 5-14

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1222 - 18/08/2019 21:47:51    2227272

Link

Replying To cillnaile.:  "It's peculiar or maybe not the the senior league toppers, Ederney and Enniskillen are now fighting for survival in the respective championship category. I suppose the championship does bring to the fore the best teams as demonstrated nationally too. However, I think club football in Fermanagh is in a sad stage but is it fixable?"
so 18 games over a season does not reflect who is best. Its a one off match that tells the REAL story ? ahem well you would say this morning alright.

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 174 - 19/08/2019 11:00:55    2227405

Link

me thinks der should be a backdoor entry way for a wee county like ours and dats would be a better way and would shut up guys likes keshfc bouts losing one game ands ur outs. wat do u lot think?

The_Lug_Coa (Fermanagh) - Posts: 388 - 19/08/2019 16:23:48    2227573

Link

Fixtures:
Fri 23rd Aug 19
Senior Football Championship SF1
Tempo v Roslea at Brewster Park @ 8:00 PM

Sat 24th Aug 19
Junior Football Championship QF3
Coa v Brookeboro at Maguiresbridge @ 3:00 PM
Intermediate Football Championship Relegation SF1
Aghadrumsee v Newtownbutler at Lisnaskea @ 3:00 PM
Intermediate Football Championship SF1
Belcoo v Irvinestown @ Lisnaskea 4:30 PM
Senior Football Championship Relegation SF1
Teemore v Ederney at Brewster Park @ 5:30 PM
Senior Football Championship SF2
Belnaleck v Derrygonnelly at Brewster Park @ 7:00 PM

Sun 25th Aug 19
Junior Football Championship SF1
Maguiresbridge v Derrylin at Teemore @ 1:30 PM
Senior Football Championship Relegation SF2
Erne Gaels v Devenish at Derrygonnelly @ 1:30 PM
Intermediate Football Championship Relegation SF2
Enniskillen v Lisnaskea at Roslea @ 4:00 PM
Intermediate Football Championship SF2
Kinawley v Donagh at Roslea @ 5:30 PM

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1222 - 20/08/2019 21:48:28    2228030

Link

Replying To The_Lug_Coa:  "me thinks der should be a backdoor entry way for a wee county like ours and dats would be a better way and would shut up guys likes keshfc bouts losing one game ands ur outs. wat do u lot think?"
Lug, I think there is an argument to suggest a change the structure to the senior, intermediate and junior championships is neccessary. With the leckers beating ederney in the championship and teams like the gaels coming up from division 2 and finishing in the top 4... its clear the gap from division 1 and 2 isnt as wide as in previous years.

What I would propose is the following:
Based on the previous league season placings.

Senior & Intermediate Championships
An open draw with 16 teams, division 1 + the top 6 teams in division 2. The winners of the first round ties advance to the quarter finals, the 8 losing teams go into the intermediate championship and both championships are played with an open draw format to a finish.

Junior Championship
The bottom 4 teams of division 2 play off in a simple semi final format to decide the final and ultimately the champions.

I think the proposal above has a number of positives.

First of all it gives more teams the chance to compete for the new york gold cup. Secondly It eliminates these needless relegation play off games which are a bit of a joke to be honest. It should also make the leagues more competitive, particulary in division 2 to try and avoid those bottom 4 places. Finally the championship games would be played in neutral venues which would mean the hosting club would get a nice tidy gate.

fman123 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 72 - 21/08/2019 11:33:32    2228148

Link

Replying To fman123:  "Lug, I think there is an argument to suggest a change the structure to the senior, intermediate and junior championships is neccessary. With the leckers beating ederney in the championship and teams like the gaels coming up from division 2 and finishing in the top 4... its clear the gap from division 1 and 2 isnt as wide as in previous years.

What I would propose is the following:
Based on the previous league season placings.

Senior & Intermediate Championships
An open draw with 16 teams, division 1 + the top 6 teams in division 2. The winners of the first round ties advance to the quarter finals, the 8 losing teams go into the intermediate championship and both championships are played with an open draw format to a finish.

Junior Championship
The bottom 4 teams of division 2 play off in a simple semi final format to decide the final and ultimately the champions.

I think the proposal above has a number of positives.

First of all it gives more teams the chance to compete for the new york gold cup. Secondly It eliminates these needless relegation play off games which are a bit of a joke to be honest. It should also make the leagues more competitive, particulary in division 2 to try and avoid those bottom 4 places. Finally the championship games would be played in neutral venues which would mean the hosting club would get a nice tidy gate."
Seems a plausible idea worth exploring as it would stimulate competitiveness but would the mindset of the current conservative county board be open to it? I doubt it. It appears to me if it was that all press reports be compulsory written up in Irish would be of more interest to them than a new and practical way of revamping the championships to create a more attractive structure. Just look at their website and the fixtures/results are all in Irish - distorted vision - that's the hurdle you would be facing.

BigToeJoe (Fermanagh) - Posts: 106 - 21/08/2019 14:06:58    2228226

Link

Result:
Fri 23rd Aug 19
Tempo 1-6 Roslea 0-9 (Draw)
Replay to be fixed for next weekend.

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1222 - 23/08/2019 23:00:34    2228921

Link

Replying To erneboy:  "Result:
Fri 23rd Aug 19
Tempo 1-6 Roslea 0-9 (Draw)
Replay to be fixed for next weekend."
Further evidence that the gap between division 2 and 1 is minimal.

fman123 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 72 - 24/08/2019 00:51:58    2228939

Link

The odds are narrowing of an all div2 finalists...Belnaleck v Tempo...betting now on!

TurnipHead. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 203 - 24/08/2019 12:44:41    2228991

Link