Fermanagh Forum

Fermanagh's Best Manager Ever?

(Oldest Posts First)

Now that county senior team has finished their 2019 season and looking back over the year I wondering who was the best county manager ever? However, that question could be interpreted in number of ways depending on one's perspective on the subject. Here's my thoughts
1. I will start the ball rolling by going for Malachy O'Rourke as the best technical and tactical thinking manager taking Fermanagh to the Ulster final and replay.
2. The most successful in terms of achievement being Charlie Mulgrew for getting Fermanagh to the All Ireland semi final in 2004.
So guys let the debate begin!

gaalltheway (Fermanagh) - Posts: 746 - 16/06/2019 22:51:20    2196123

Link

Replying To gaalltheway:  "Now that county senior team has finished their 2019 season and looking back over the year I wondering who was the best county manager ever? However, that question could be interpreted in number of ways depending on one's perspective on the subject. Here's my thoughts
1. I will start the ball rolling by going for Malachy O'Rourke as the best technical and tactical thinking manager taking Fermanagh to the Ulster final and replay.
2. The most successful in terms of achievement being Charlie Mulgrew for getting Fermanagh to the All Ireland semi final in 2004.
So guys let the debate begin!"
For me it has to be Malachy for the reasoning of that 2004 team was something different! We had some massive quality players. Under Malachy although the team was certainly not lacking in quality it just wasn't the same

Allaboutclub (Fermanagh) - Posts: 67 - 17/06/2019 12:51:04    2196436

Link

Rory Gallagher hasn't done too bad so far so he must be up there with the best,

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1218 - 17/06/2019 13:28:08    2196469

Link

Well I think the best manager Fermanagh has ever produced is hands down Malachy.. look what he has done in club and county football from the Loop to ourselves to Monaghan..... the plan MUST be to get him back in 2021 or 2022 after Rory wins the Anglo Celt ;-)

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 174 - 17/06/2019 20:34:51    2196764

Link

If I remember correctly, O'Rourke inherited a good team on the back of what John O'Neill did getting new recruits into the squad but due to circumstances beyond his control at the time frustrated O'Neill's management efforts thereby allowing others to take the credit, I remember at the time it was either posters "yesterdaysman" or "macca999" that passionately supported O'Neill at the time.

ekn_teacher (Fermanagh) - Posts: 228 - 17/06/2019 21:29:56    2196792

Link

Replying To ekn_teacher:  "If I remember correctly, O'Rourke inherited a good team on the back of what John O'Neill did getting new recruits into the squad but due to circumstances beyond his control at the time frustrated O'Neill's management efforts thereby allowing others to take the credit, I remember at the time it was either posters "yesterdaysman" or "macca999" that passionately supported O'Neill at the time."
Ah thanks ekn_teacher, I just spat my tea out all over my keyboard.

Nontheism (Fermanagh) - Posts: 98 - 18/06/2019 10:59:25    2196983

Link

Replying To ekn_teacher:  "If I remember correctly, O'Rourke inherited a good team on the back of what John O'Neill did getting new recruits into the squad but due to circumstances beyond his control at the time frustrated O'Neill's management efforts thereby allowing others to take the credit, I remember at the time it was either posters "yesterdaysman" or "macca999" that passionately supported O'Neill at the time."
You remember incorrectly, O'Rourke was before O'Neill.

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 18/06/2019 11:07:38    2196989

Link

Did O'Neill ever get back into management? or was Fermanagh his last job?

allfermanagh (Fermanagh) - Posts: 63 - 18/06/2019 13:36:29    2197092

Link

me thinks dat o'neill was the team selecter in charlie's time ands was really the manager many say and he was ther to in rourkys time so sum credir ougts to be given to the man for his inputs. me also thinks he manged the u21 team at one time. peter caravan took over froms o'neill following a rebelion by a number of players who wuldnt play under o'neill. dats the story hows i remembers it.

The_Lug_Coa (Fermanagh) - Posts: 388 - 18/06/2019 16:23:25    2197170

Link

Pete McGrath was the best manager till the snakes ousted him

Big_joe74 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 8 - 18/06/2019 21:10:22    2197324

Link

Replying To Big_joe74:  "Pete McGrath was the best manager till the snakes ousted him"
Well one big Joe to another big Joe, I think your comment is a bit too harsh as McGrath/County Board never consulted with the squad/team otherwise his departure wouldn't have been so humiliating. As for calling honourable hardworking players, snakes shows that you are so unappreciative of what these players have given to their county in their spare time. If you are so sure of yourself please name these so called snakes as we all would like to know?

BigToeJoe (Fermanagh) - Posts: 106 - 18/06/2019 21:51:26    2197342

Link

Replying To BigToeJoe:  "Well one big Joe to another big Joe, I think your comment is a bit too harsh as McGrath/County Board never consulted with the squad/team otherwise his departure wouldn't have been so humiliating. As for calling honourable hardworking players, snakes shows that you are so unappreciative of what these players have given to their county in their spare time. If you are so sure of yourself please name these so called snakes as we all would like to know?"
Players pick the manager cop yourself on! the manager is the one picks them as for naming the snakes the dogs in the street know who they were

Big_joe74 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 8 - 19/06/2019 17:39:32    2197682

Link

Hi Ekn_teacher, it wasn't a matter of either as both yesterdaysman and macca999 did support to various degrees, John O'Neill's management of our county senior team. Read the evidence below.
macca999 writes…
macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 855 - 03/04/2011 18:16:23 902116
Want to say well done to the PLAYERS today, they played with great pride and spirit in very difficult circumstances and to kick 17 points is always a good day for Fermanagh. After a dreadful start Clare were 5 points to 1 ahead and the players heads were dropping as confidence was totally absent however the introduction of Daniel Kille proved to be a huge turning point and the few quick scores that followed helped the lads dig deep, which is a credit to them all and showed tremendous heart and character within the team at the minute. Every one of the players gave 110% and they can only benefit from such a fighting display. Well done lads. However before yesterdays man and a few others come on saying after beating Clare team that we don't need any of the players not currently in the squad back and that O Neill is the ideal manager and the county board are correct, this one result doesn't change the fact that Fermanagh GAA is in crisis…Hopefully the county board is overhauled as the county needs a fresher committee at the top to stop Fermanagh GAA from been seen as a weak county and to bring radical ideas to improve the development of our games. I have never been a fan of O'Neill, but the actions of the county board have made me realise he has been put in a difficult situation

Yesterdaysman replies…
YesterdaysMan (Fermanagh) - Posts: 732 - 03/04/2011 18:53:43 902160
Great to see Fermanagh sceptic macca999 softening his attitude by congratulating O'Neill and his team today. I hope others will follow in this trend.

It seems to me and others that macca999 changes his views as often as the wind changes. Oh how the past can catch up with such hypocrites!

SkeaLad (Fermanagh) - Posts: 494 - 19/06/2019 20:12:33    2197725

Link

Replying To KeshGFC:  "Well I think the best manager Fermanagh has ever produced is hands down Malachy.. look what he has done in club and county football from the Loop to ourselves to Monaghan..... the plan MUST be to get him back in 2021 or 2022 after Rory wins the Anglo Celt ;-)"
Now that Malachy is a free agent .. does anyone know when Rory Gallagher will complete his sole searching and decide if he's on board next season or not ?? Sooner rather than later would be good considering !!

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 174 - 24/06/2019 09:18:08    2199631

Link

Replying To KeshGFC:  "Now that Malachy is a free agent .. does anyone know when Rory Gallagher will complete his sole searching and decide if he's on board next season or not ?? Sooner rather than later would be good considering !!"
Well if Gallagher does come to a decision not to take Fermanagh again Malachy would be the obvious replacement.

He would get Fermanagh playing a better style, but we would still remain a defensive side.

allfermanagh (Fermanagh) - Posts: 63 - 24/06/2019 11:42:58    2199779

Link

To the KeshGFC/allfermanagh poster, you are assuming that 1) Gallagher is going 2) that O'Rourke would consider such a Fermanagh vacancy. If Fermanagh look in the mirror, they will see if they don't already know that the problem they have is that need quality forwards and until that happens then no existing or new manager can address such a shortcomings. Remember guys, that it is team's forwards that mostly deliver the scoreboard results while the defence constrain the opposition. A good goalkeeper can be a asset and that's a weak area for our team. Where has your Snowy gone?

999accam (Fermanagh) - Posts: 7 - 24/06/2019 13:34:13    2199894

Link

Replying To 999accam:  "To the KeshGFC/allfermanagh poster, you are assuming that 1) Gallagher is going 2) that O'Rourke would consider such a Fermanagh vacancy. If Fermanagh look in the mirror, they will see if they don't already know that the problem they have is that need quality forwards and until that happens then no existing or new manager can address such a shortcomings. Remember guys, that it is team's forwards that mostly deliver the scoreboard results while the defence constrain the opposition. A good goalkeeper can be a asset and that's a weak area for our team. Where has your Snowy gone?"
Yea that's very true we do need a star forward or a few consistent scorers to take us to that next level.

Goalkeeping options looked like a real struggle from the start, who else around the county good potential give some competition

allfermanagh (Fermanagh) - Posts: 63 - 25/06/2019 08:02:49    2200412

Link

Replying To 999accam:  "To the KeshGFC/allfermanagh poster, you are assuming that 1) Gallagher is going 2) that O'Rourke would consider such a Fermanagh vacancy. If Fermanagh look in the mirror, they will see if they don't already know that the problem they have is that need quality forwards and until that happens then no existing or new manager can address such a shortcomings. Remember guys, that it is team's forwards that mostly deliver the scoreboard results while the defence constrain the opposition. A good goalkeeper can be a asset and that's a weak area for our team. Where has your Snowy gone?"
Yea that's very true we do need a star forward or a few consistent scorers to take us to that next level.

Goalkeeping options looked like a real struggle from the start, who else around the county good potential give some competition

allfermanagh (Fermanagh) - Posts: 63 - 25/06/2019 08:44:53    2200421

Link

To the KeshGFC/allfermanagh poster, you are assuming that 1) Gallagher is going 2) that O'Rourke would consider such a Fermanagh vacancy. If Fermanagh look in the mirror, they will see if they don't already know that the problem they have is that need quality forwards and until that happens then no existing or new manager can address such a shortcomings. Remember guys, that it is team's forwards that mostly deliver the scoreboard results while the defence constrain the opposition. A good goalkeeper can be a asset and that's a weak area for our team. Where has your Snowy gone?
999accam (Fermanagh) - Posts: 7 - 24/06/2019 13:34:13 2199894

Hi mate you ain't fool me with your mirror image of username of macca999. I suspect you are the latter so I want to ask you if you feel Gallagher can offer Fermanagh anything better or should he go? No long waffle just a definite short reply would be welcome macca please, Also, macca why are you asking about Snow as he has been there and gone and there are a few in the clubs that would handle things better in the nets for the county?

barneytown (Fermanagh) - Posts: 284 - 25/06/2019 13:33:52    2200595

Link

Lads and ladies I'm not assuming Gallagher is going .. he said himself he's considering his future so I guess it's 50/50
Anyway rushing to find new blood in a county our size is rather naive... we have the best committed and the talent is good .. we need the system tweaked

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 174 - 25/06/2019 20:08:10    2200853

Link