Derry Forum

Qualifiers 2019

(Oldest Posts First)

A good win against a poor Wexford side has set up a game at home to Laois in the 2nd Qualifier round. This game will really test where we are at. We are much better than Wexford and Div4 sides but not at the level of Tyrone yet so this game is a good barometer. Laois are a solid side with good footballers. I think to win this game we will have to expose them in the middle third where I think we may just have the legs on them. Looking forward to it. Hopefully have Owenbeg packed out and a bit of an atmosphere going.

oakleaflad (Derry) - Posts: 40 - 12/06/2019 10:35:27    2193836

Link

Been to all but one of Derry's games this year and they are a team who are getting better, learning all the time. The likes of the McKaigues, Rodgers and Shane McGuigan are good enough to be on any team in the country and Derry would never have been in Division 4 (or even 3) if they had been available for the last few league campaigns. There are no bad footballers on the Derry panel and this year they have been mostly tasked with breaking down blanket defences on dubious pitches in bad weather against determined, if limited, opponents. The Wexford game was very interesting; Derry played them in a meaningless last league game in Bellaghy and were almost caught at the end of it after starting like a house on fire and thrashing them off the park the first twenty minutes. That day, one of their corner forwards (can't remember his name) was excellent, the main man in dragging them back into the game; the next day, he was assigned to Karl McKaigue and spent the game forgetting what a football looked like. Likewise, a couple of big, strong Wexford men about midfield the first day started to dominate possession; the second day they were out-manoeuvred. For all that Wexford were poor, there was a huge home crowd there waiting for the hurling match that was on after the football and Derry put the game to bed with ruthless efficiency in the first half against a strong wind; from start to finish, they gave the home crowd absolutely no reason to be cheerful. What was also very notable was that every Derry player, from the start to the finish, whether starter or sub, constantly ran and worked and tackled, even long after the match was finished as a contest. On top of all that is Ciaran McFaul, absolutely Derry's best player all year by a distance; he is Enda Muldoon good, Brian McGuigan good, give him the ball and he can play.

doiregael2 (Derry) - Posts: 334 - 22/06/2019 02:25:32    2198474

Link

Disgrace of a performance yesterday!

oakleafersir (Derry) - Posts: 786 - 23/06/2019 17:53:24    2199138

Link

we have no midfield and when we have to kick short we dont seem to have any proper kick out strategy our keepers have been responsible for giving away several points or even a goal in big games in recent times and we dont seem to be learning from it - against Tipp 2016, Mayo 2017 most notably - and again on saturday i counted at least 2 points as a direct result of our kickouts - Laois looked physically stronger than us and we insisted on carrying the ball into the tackle only to be stripped of the ball with relative ease - the loss of Emmet Bradley on sat was huge and in a tight game like that he could have been the difference - that said with 10 mins to go and the game delcately poised at 11 points a piece and the best home support for Derry i have seen in a while we couldnt push on and were found wanting - i honestly dont see us getting out of Div 3 at the first time of asking next year either as i feel personally we are 4 or 5 players short of being a decent team... The Anglo celt cup still looks like years away as i feel we are in the widerness and not really progressing - all this underage success and we are still stagnant at Senior level...

doirebhoy (Derry) - Posts: 344 - 24/06/2019 12:52:00    2199851

Link