Down Forum

League And Championship Predictions

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I wasn't far away again this week with me predictions.

Ballela far too good for a limited NCP team. McMullan will have to give himself a shake before he faces the young Newry forwards.

Kilclief are a shadow of the team that has played in Div 1 and IHC for years. Could be a long road back for them with very little success at under age level.

When it comes to the JHC final the Shamrocks look like the better team but we all know championship doesn't always go to form.

Frank Mitchell (Down) - Posts: 1065 - 08/09/2019 20:56:19    2233653

Link

Ports don't do things the easy way but got the job done in the end.. ballycran very easy winners will liatroim come back again next year with a bit of experience behind them this year

Awaywiththeferrys (Down) - Posts: 51 - 08/09/2019 21:12:27    2233659

Link

Newry vs Ballela JHC Final

Well lads I dont know about you but this will be one for the memory books. Ballela coming off the back of thag fantastic victory over Warrenpoint with McCusker running the show, they are surely up for the Newry men. Newry meanwhile run the show against a Kilclief side who never threw in the towel, Sheehan scoring as much as we all knew he would.

The teams have had some gruelling games over the years, with Newry in search of a JHC this years and Ballela fired up and ready to grab them by the scuff.

I surely will be in Newcastle in 2 weeks perched and ready for what will be a hard competitive game.

onionbag27 (Down) - Posts: 12 - 08/09/2019 22:58:33    2233696

Link

Predictions were nearly on the money for yesterdays games!

Ballela coming out on top of a great battle in Castlewellan yesterday, work rate around the middle of the park and full forward line drove the rest of the team on. Few soft goals but they'll know themselves this can't happen against Newry.

Newry the winners in the other game, Kilclief didn't lie down and the final score definitely didn't reflect the game I seen. Newry just had more desire when attacking and they'll have it tight against Ballela with the determination shown yesterday!

Never got up to the other games with the time clash but from what I seen on social media it seems Ballycran walked their game and Portaferry in extra time again. Bredagh had the expected win over Clonduff as well.

Couple of weeks prep and we're into the finals, big couple of weeks for all teams.

Hurler2012 (Down) - Posts: 12 - 09/09/2019 07:58:22    2233724

Link

Replying To Hurler2012:  "Convincing win for Ballela as expected on Saturday past, Ballyvarley again unable to stay disciplined when the points start to rack up against them, I believe that's 3 games in a row that have had a red card shown.

Kilclief beating Castlewellan also no surprise although at half time it was as close as 5 points! Castlewellan in the next few years could be contesting for a good finish in the league if they keep their young lads at it!

JHC Semi- finals

Warrenpoint vs Ballela

This will be a game to watch with an inform Warrenpoint out to prove a point after winning the league, albeit gaining points from 2 games that they wouldn't reschedule. Hard to see the fixture going anywhere but in Ballela's favour with the firepower of the McCuskers with a few notable others having a good game on Saturday. The only threat Warrenpoint pose is John O'Kane from the dead ball, even then he had a bad game a few weeks ago in Liatroim.
Ballela +6

Newry vs Kilclief

All signs point to Newry here, however Kilclief are a hard team and won't let them away easy, a few key players from Newry don't like being pushed about! Again the threat lies with the scores from the dead ball and if Kilclief can keep their heads it'll be an interesting game! Newry +7

Looks to be a good set up for the final of the JHC with Newry and Ballela being the favourites!

IHC

Bit of a shock in my opinion around the Carryduff/Bredagh game, thought it would have been a lot closer, didn't get up to see the game but did hear Bredagh were firing on all cylinders!

Bredagh vs Clonduff

Another great fixture for the weekend in the intermediate, would love to see Clonduff win here however with a few key players away it's hard to look past a Bredagh win. Bredagh +10

SHC

Good showing from Liatroim at the weekend especially without key players like Pearse Og and PJ! Hard to look past a Portaferry and Ballycran final this year! Portaferry showing great determination to come back and win on Saturday evening, great game to watch.

Liatroim vs Ballycran

Hard to look past Ballycran here, but after Liatroim's performance last week I think it'll be a close one! Ballycran will be looking for the win after letting the ports back in on Saturday. Think this will be my choice of game for the weekend. Ballycran +7"
Bredagh flying! Yet another team Simon Wilson does really well with. When is he ever gonna get a call from the county. Great down hurling man going to waste. Has proven himself now at a number of teams which is more than can be said for any members of current management.

In_da_ditch (UK) - Posts: 143 - 09/09/2019 07:59:52    2233725

Link

Liatroim badly exposed yesterday. We knew the bigger pitch would prevent them covering the ground and getting their physical brand of hurling imposed like they did last Saturday night.
Question is will they still have a go at senior next year or drop down for an easy intermediate. I'd like to see them stay up.

Galgets and the Ports game was close if lacking in quality. Some good battles all over the pitch with Johnny Mac and Sands going at it, Fisher got the better of McGarry early on and probably should have been moved onto McGeean who was causing Ben Toner a load of issues and took a great goal and some good points.
Prenter and wee Danny fumbled far too much when in possession and why Prenter was played so far from goals in extra time I'll never understand as that Portaferry fullback line is for the taking and Danny would have had a goal only for a superb covering tackle from Taggert as he was about to pull the trigger.
Karol fumbled a good few and I hope our management were seeing this as someone needs to staying around the house to take advantage of that when we play them in the final.

I think we'll beat that Ballygalget team with 5 to 10 points to spare.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2358 - 09/09/2019 11:36:00    2233795

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "Liatroim badly exposed yesterday. We knew the bigger pitch would prevent them covering the ground and getting their physical brand of hurling imposed like they did last Saturday night.
Question is will they still have a go at senior next year or drop down for an easy intermediate. I'd like to see them stay up.

Galgets and the Ports game was close if lacking in quality. Some good battles all over the pitch with Johnny Mac and Sands going at it, Fisher got the better of McGarry early on and probably should have been moved onto McGeean who was causing Ben Toner a load of issues and took a great goal and some good points.
Prenter and wee Danny fumbled far too much when in possession and why Prenter was played so far from goals in extra time I'll never understand as that Portaferry fullback line is for the taking and Danny would have had a goal only for a superb covering tackle from Taggert as he was about to pull the trigger.
Karol fumbled a good few and I hope our management were seeing this as someone needs to staying around the house to take advantage of that when we play them in the final.

I think we'll beat that Ballygalget team with 5 to 10 points to spare."
After the farce of yesterday with the goal keeper, is it that lad Johnson, going down after scoring the 21 yard free and not having a top to change into I thought the ref played his part in the panto. I thought you were supposed to stop the game for a head injury . Anyways after all the theatre ports just edged the win. Should have been more.

cahill (None) - Posts: 2502 - 09/09/2019 21:25:15    2233971

Link

Replying To cahill:  "After the farce of yesterday with the goal keeper, is it that lad Johnson, going down after scoring the 21 yard free and not having a top to change into I thought the ref played his part in the panto. I thought you were supposed to stop the game for a head injury . Anyways after all the theatre ports just edged the win. Should have been more."
Ref was dead on. He got the indirect free decisions correct and stuck to his guns.

One of the better refereeing performances I've seen in a while.

Magic hurt his knee when taking the 21. He wasn't hit on the head. Some others were a bit too quick to go to ground IMO and were putting it on.

Game could have went either way IMO and the Ports rode a bit of luck at the back with Magic failing to find Caolan Coulter with a handpass when he was on the deck and the brilliant flick from Taggert that denied wee Danny a certain goal.

Ports subs took some great points, big Coleman and Fitzsimmons never showed anything like that in any other game this year and Ballygalget hit some poor wides throughout the game.

We'll be able to overpower that Ballygalget outfit easy enough come Sunday. 5 to 10 points as I say.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2358 - 10/09/2019 10:01:57    2234034

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "Ref was dead on. He got the indirect free decisions correct and stuck to his guns.

Magic hurt his knee when taking the 21. He wasn't hit on the head. Some others were a bit too quick to go to ground IMO and were putting it on.

Game could have went either way IMO and the Ports rode a bit of luck at the back with Magic failing to find Caolan Coulter with a handpass when he was on the deck and the brilliant flick from Taggert that denied wee Danny a certain goal.

Ports subs took some great points, big Coleman and Fitzsimmons never showed anything like that in any other game this year and Ballygalget hit some poor wides throughout the game.

We'll be able to overpower that Ballygalget outfit easy enough come Sunday. 5 to 10 points as I say."
He hurt his knee? Then played out field for 10 mins, musta been very sore. I wouldn't call 8 stitches in the head going down very easy. Wouldn't agree that ref got everything right. Galget full back line got away with a lot where as ports suffered, galgetks scored very little from play. It's over and ports won.

cahill (None) - Posts: 2502 - 10/09/2019 18:13:43    2234169

Link

Replying To cahill:  "He hurt his knee? Then played out field for 10 mins, musta been very sore. I wouldn't call 8 stitches in the head going down very easy. Wouldn't agree that ref got everything right. Galget full back line got away with a lot where as ports suffered, galgetks scored very little from play. It's over and ports won."
Yeah ballygalget would of got well beaten if ports didn't give away so many frees it happen against ballycran need to cut frees out. Magic didn't do anything when he came out of nets I think ballycran will get at least 2/3 goals on Sunday put the ball down low in any corner magic will never get it. Anyone know how many points ballygalget got from play on Sunday ?

Awaywiththeferrys (Down) - Posts: 51 - 10/09/2019 20:14:42    2234188

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "Ref was dead on. He got the indirect free decisions correct and stuck to his guns.

We'll be able to overpower that Ballygalget outfit easy enough come Sunday. 5 to 10 points as I say."
Was clear as day he was hit on the head. Blocked the ball forward. Linesmen don't open there mouths to referees when needed too. Magic gets special treatment for having too much weight on that knee but for head injuries they just play on.

RedDog68 (Down) - Posts: 175 - 10/09/2019 20:26:02    2234191

Link

Replying To RedDog68:  "Was clear as day he was hit on the head. Blocked the ball forward. Linesmen don't open there mouths to referees when needed too. Magic gets special treatment for having too much weight on that knee but for head injuries they just play on."
Did the referee not stop the game along that sideline once he knew the lad was injured?

Not sure what else you've have wanted him to do.

He stuck to his guns and gave you an in-direct free rather than a throw in ball that seems to be the norm with local referees.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2358 - 11/09/2019 14:15:38    2234418

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "Did the referee not stop the game along that sideline once he knew the lad was injured?

Not sure what else you've have wanted him to do.

He stuck to his guns and gave you an in-direct free rather than a throw in ball that seems to be the norm with local referees."
Once he seen the blood 30 seconds later he stopped it and obviously he gave an in direct free as we had won possession of the ball.

RedDog68 (Down) - Posts: 175 - 11/09/2019 16:32:53    2234496

Link

Replying To RedDog68:  "Once he seen the blood 30 seconds later he stopped it and obviously he gave an in direct free as we had won possession of the ball."
And allowed the medics on as soon as, didn't he?

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2358 - 12/09/2019 13:47:08    2234743

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "And allowed the medics on as soon as, didn't he?"
Bricktop who you play this weekend? I heard a team from Dublin any truth.

Therealnumer1 (Down) - Posts: 58 - 12/09/2019 14:49:31    2234764

Link

Replying To Therealnumer1:  "Bricktop who you play this weekend? I heard a team from Dublin any truth."
Have Ballygalget moved to Dublin?

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2358 - 12/09/2019 16:08:50    2234791

Link

Our management had planned something but fell through,dont believe in challenge game us

crannumber2 (Down) - Posts: 260 - 13/09/2019 05:48:47    2234925

Link

Replying To crannumber2:  "Our management had planned something but fell through,dont believe in challenge game us"
That Dublin team got let down surely you will let them train on your pitch.

Therealnumer1 (Down) - Posts: 58 - 13/09/2019 13:11:54    2235003

Link

Replying To Therealnumer1:  "That Dublin team got let down surely you will let them train on your pitch."
No chance of letting them train here.
Big Jim would go mad.

cranfanatic (Down) - Posts: 71 - 13/09/2019 19:40:03    2235088

Link

Dry day ahead,ground nice firm ground,we should be ok tday,by 6

crannumber2 (Down) - Posts: 260 - 15/09/2019 12:30:54    2235551

Link