Fermanagh Forum

ALL-IRELAND SENIOR FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To FoolsGold:  "Did the Corrigan brothers Thomas and Ruari fall out with Gallagher or why were they not involved this year?"
You have got it one mate! Tomas's talk to the media didn't go down well with either management or co board top brass which made it awkward to return. He would have been a massive addition yesterday for free taking. Ruari lost interest due to the uncomfortable situation regarding the brother. Both have a big lost to the green and white army ambition to championship glory. Time for a good revamp of the Fermanagh camp and get rid of the bench warmers. To me, if they weren't brought on in the championship or the league then show them the door. Anyone agree?

The_Rat (Fermanagh) - Posts: 43 - 10/06/2019 18:57:56    2193136

Link

Replying To Gator:  "Hughes defo didnt start it."
But Hughes shouldn't have entered the field of play..didn't strike anyone ...trying to separate lads !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 151 - 10/06/2019 21:48:58    2193233

Link

Replying To The_Rat:  "You have got it one mate! Tomas's talk to the media didn't go down well with either management or co board top brass which made it awkward to return. He would have been a massive addition yesterday for free taking. Ruari lost interest due to the uncomfortable situation regarding the brother. Both have a big lost to the green and white army ambition to championship glory. Time for a good revamp of the Fermanagh camp and get rid of the bench warmers. To me, if they weren't brought on in the championship or the league then show them the door. Anyone agree?"
Harsh, and Where exactly are you going to get the replacements for these players?? It's not as if the county is brimming with top players.

shotgun (Fermanagh) - Posts: 72 - 10/06/2019 23:34:30    2193275

Link

Replying To FoolsGold:  "Did the Corrigan brothers Thomas and Ruari fall out with Gallagher or why were they not involved this year?"
Both were in fact part of the panel when Gallagher started, but neither cemented their place in the starting 15 due to injury and / or lack of form. This is the reason I think Tomás has went travelling. Not sure on the Ruairi front. Definitely would be additions to the match day squad though if they're available next year.

shotgun (Fermanagh) - Posts: 72 - 10/06/2019 23:36:56    2193278

Link

shotgun you fired a shot at the Rat to challenge him on his statement. Although, I wouldn't normally do so, on this occasion I would agree with the Rat and his suggestion to get rid of passengers on the county senior panel. The Rat, haven't been a passenger himself (not necessary through his only fault but only got one outing to play due to an inadequate management at the time), probably has assessed the situation that prevails to this day. It doesn't help these passengers or want-to-be county stars as they are starved of not only no county play but restricted from playing for they club which renders them not match-ready due the absence of sufficient game participation. So 'shotgun', if you are in away involved with club football you will know that there are indeed a number of suitable footballers capable of being on the county senior panel. The problem lies with who knows who and sometimes club personnel will put forward some of their players through favouritism and not necessary for talent or ability. I have been around long enough at different levels and of course managing teams so I know what's happening at ground level through to county. There is also the long established pathway that sometimes is criticised and that is if you were a student of St Michael's College you were prioritised for county selection and I know this as I was a student there but not of county standard myself. Sorry for dragging on with this reply but 'shotgun' I think that squad recruitment should be seriously looked at in order to find the best way to pick up the best players capable of being be able to represent their county. Until new and fair recruitment system happens then you will have incapable passengers being on the panel just to make up the numbers.

TurnipHead. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 203 - 11/06/2019 09:32:07    2193344

Link

Sundays game was hugely frustrating for everyone im sure, despite some poor displays it was a game that Fermanagh still could have won, the penalty was a chance, still had numerous opportunities after this,missed frees and balls dropped short, a constant problem with Fermanagh. The free chance to level it was tricky but after the penalty, was clear that Seans confidence was hit as normally he would have ran out instantly to hit it but was asked by management to take it.

Thomas Treacy wasnt in squad on Sunday,was that due to injury or did he leave?

Was clear that the frustration was evident in the players discipline at the end with the red cards(those cards dont carry into 2020 i hope)

Be interesting to see what the management team do now going forward, they recognise along with most here,that lack of scoring forwards is the Achilles heel, conversion rate is deciding factor in big games,we currently need 10 chances to score 3/4. Other posters have mentioned that is other players in the county that could perhaps increaset his, Fermanagh obviously has a small pool but i would agree that there are a few players who could certainly come in to give Fermanagh better shooting potential(last years top scorer in club championship, Eddie Courtney) the return of the Corrigans would be huge help,if that issue can be resolved, Darragh McGurn should be ready to make more of impact too. Be hoping that some of the St Micks lads push on into county set-up too.

Over the 2 years, An Ulster Final, winning promotion to Division 2 and securing Division 2 status for 2020 is fair achievement. Disappointing end to the season with championship finishing early, the positives of this season certainly the emergence of Ultan Kelm and Johnny Cassidy,plus the form of Ciaran Corrigan(top scorer from play in 2019)

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 868 - 11/06/2019 10:50:00    2193387

Link

Replying To macca999:  "Sundays game was hugely frustrating for everyone im sure, despite some poor displays it was a game that Fermanagh still could have won, the penalty was a chance, still had numerous opportunities after this,missed frees and balls dropped short, a constant problem with Fermanagh. The free chance to level it was tricky but after the penalty, was clear that Seans confidence was hit as normally he would have ran out instantly to hit it but was asked by management to take it.

Thomas Treacy wasnt in squad on Sunday,was that due to injury or did he leave?

Was clear that the frustration was evident in the players discipline at the end with the red cards(those cards dont carry into 2020 i hope)

Be interesting to see what the management team do now going forward, they recognise along with most here,that lack of scoring forwards is the Achilles heel, conversion rate is deciding factor in big games,we currently need 10 chances to score 3/4. Other posters have mentioned that is other players in the county that could perhaps increaset his, Fermanagh obviously has a small pool but i would agree that there are a few players who could certainly come in to give Fermanagh better shooting potential(last years top scorer in club championship, Eddie Courtney) the return of the Corrigans would be huge help,if that issue can be resolved, Darragh McGurn should be ready to make more of impact too. Be hoping that some of the St Micks lads push on into county set-up too.

Over the 2 years, An Ulster Final, winning promotion to Division 2 and securing Division 2 status for 2020 is fair achievement. Disappointing end to the season with championship finishing early, the positives of this season certainly the emergence of Ultan Kelm and Johnny Cassidy,plus the form of Ciaran Corrigan(top scorer from play in 2019)"
macca, I think the red cards issued apply to the next championship game if I'm correct? Also, macca the bad new is that the Corrigans won't be back under Gallagher's watch. But the potential good news is that they may return if rumours circulating this morning are correct that Gallagher is not sure if he will continue and will make his decision over the summer. Probably a fresh start would help Fermanagh, do you agree macca?

cillnaile. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 952 - 11/06/2019 11:34:46    2193414

Link

Would have to agree with Macca, the job Gallagher has done in the last 2 years with the team has to be commended. Despite what the media think, I would say most Fermanagh people would like to see Rory and the current set up stay on.

People harp on about what St. Michael's Enniskillen have done and Enniskillen Gaels winning the Ulster Under 21 tournament playing a fantastic brand of football and the senior team should be doing likewise. Both these teams have a major catchment area that is similar or greater compared to other teams competing with them, the county team are at a major disadvantage when it comes to this. This isn't an excuse... its a fact.

That being said work has to done to improve are attacking play. If Gallagher doesn't stay on it will be interesting to see who will take up the mantle.

green_army (Fermanagh) - Posts: 17 - 11/06/2019 11:56:32    2193423

Link

We should be hoping that Gallagher does stay on. Alot of chat about the Corrigan Brothers, but not sure who you would drop to get them on the pitch, cant see either putting in the shifts that are required and we have free-takers on the field already. I think Tomas and Ruairi's boat has sailed unless Dom and his obligatory huge background staff come in.
We need Gallagher to come back for season 3. im sure he will after he gets over the hurt of Sunday
We had all the chances we could have asked for to win that game in the final 15 minutes. Cant blame manager or systems for frees being missed, pen missed and shots dropping into Beggans hands.
Gallagher delivered us and the team every chance to win that match, our shooters didnt take that chance
Here's to Gallagher for 2020 and maybe Malachy for 2021 ;-)

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 174 - 11/06/2019 13:56:11    2193500

Link

Replying To TurnipHead.:  "shotgun you fired a shot at the Rat to challenge him on his statement. Although, I wouldn't normally do so, on this occasion I would agree with the Rat and his suggestion to get rid of passengers on the county senior panel. The Rat, haven't been a passenger himself (not necessary through his only fault but only got one outing to play due to an inadequate management at the time), probably has assessed the situation that prevails to this day. It doesn't help these passengers or want-to-be county stars as they are starved of not only no county play but restricted from playing for they club which renders them not match-ready due the absence of sufficient game participation. So 'shotgun', if you are in away involved with club football you will know that there are indeed a number of suitable footballers capable of being on the county senior panel. The problem lies with who knows who and sometimes club personnel will put forward some of their players through favouritism and not necessary for talent or ability. I have been around long enough at different levels and of course managing teams so I know what's happening at ground level through to county. There is also the long established pathway that sometimes is criticised and that is if you were a student of St Michael's College you were prioritised for county selection and I know this as I was a student there but not of county standard myself. Sorry for dragging on with this reply but 'shotgun' I think that squad recruitment should be seriously looked at in order to find the best way to pick up the best players capable of being be able to represent their county. Until new and fair recruitment system happens then you will have incapable passengers being on the panel just to make up the numbers."
Yes I am very involved in club football. And would just love to know where all these lads that aren't currently on the panel, but are good enough according to you, are.

shotgun (Fermanagh) - Posts: 72 - 11/06/2019 13:58:15    2193501

Link

well done to the lads and background team for all their hard work they put in throughout the year. Its a lot of time and commitment.

It was a disappointing end to our year after a good league. It was a bit unfortunate to be drawn againist two of more strong teams in Ireland. I can see Donegal getting to the semi finals of the Ireland and Monaghan might get to the super 8s. We were competitive in both games and can walk away with our heads high, we could have beaten Monaghan. Monaghan ain't as strong as they once where and have another tough game against Armagh.

Ryan Lyons took his goal well. I think that was the 1st goal we scored this year, sure someone will prove me wrong. But we could had another 2 or 3. Turning point in that game was the missed pen and cullens red card did not see what happen guess he hit the monaghan boy. Felt we missed Donnellys presence in midfeild. Lyons and kelm were or 2 best players on the day.

Think kelm and Corrigian were the 2 best players through the year. Hope Rory stays on for another while. Players who could possibly leave now Paul McCusker, Barry Mulrone and T.Daly. Hopefully we see more of G.jones and D.Mcgurn and some of the St.Micks lads.

Thanks again lads for the hardwork put in.

ERNEDEVIL (Fermanagh) - Posts: 45 - 11/06/2019 15:17:01    2193532

Link

the rumour surrounding gallagher's tenure apparently came via the dromore man who i assume would be dropped if any new manager was appointed. i thought the gallaghe/mcmenamin partnership worked well and indeed 'ricey' as they affectionately called him put a massive input to the team and maybe a contender if gallagher does decides to move on?

Coa_gael (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1150 - 11/06/2019 15:46:15    2193548

Link

also well done to the ladies who won at the weekend

ERNEDEVIL (Fermanagh) - Posts: 45 - 11/06/2019 16:48:43    2193582

Link

Replying To ERNEDEVIL:  "also well done to the ladies who won at the weekend"
Eimear Smyth must be some player. Can't say I've seen too many of the ladies' games this year but the scores she's racking up for an 18 year old are ridiculous already.

shotgun (Fermanagh) - Posts: 72 - 11/06/2019 17:51:14    2193603

Link

TurnipHead. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 199 - 11/06/2019 09:32:07 writes...
shotgun you fired a shot at the Rat to challenge him on his statement. Although, I wouldn't normally do so, on this occasion I would agree with the Rat and his suggestion to get rid of passengers on the county senior panel. The Rat, haven't been a passenger himself (not necessary through his only fault but only got one outing to play due to an inadequate management at the time), probably has assessed the situation that prevails to this day. It doesn't help these passengers or want-to-be county stars as they are starved of not only no county play but restricted from playing for they club which renders them not match-ready due the absence of sufficient game participation. So 'shotgun', if you are in away involved with club football you will know that there are indeed a number of suitable footballers capable of being on the county senior panel. The problem lies with who knows who and sometimes club personnel will put forward some of their players through favouritism and not necessary for talent or ability. I have been around long enough at different levels and of course managing teams so I know what's happening at ground level through to county. There is also the long established pathway that sometimes is criticised and that is if you were a student of St Michael's College you were prioritised for county selection and I know this as I was a student there but not of county standard myself. Sorry for dragging on with this reply but 'shotgun' I think that squad recruitment should be seriously looked at in order to find the best way to pick up the best players capable of being be able to represent their county. Until new and fair recruitment system happens then you will have incapable passengers being on the panel just to make up the numbers

Replying to turniphead...
Aye gilly you would know but problem you have that you could never achieve what I have done so far!!!
Stick to steering your so called ship and some port might offer you docking eventually!!!
Replying to Shotgun...
Now to Shotgun and I don't why you are firing a shot across my bow as I was only offering my opinion having had experience of being there in such a scenario. I stand over my opinion that it's time for a good revamp of the Fermanagh camp and get rid of the bench warmers. To me, if they weren't brought on in the championship or the league then show them the door. As being a regular player myself I can assure you that there a a number of players capable of making the county grade but are looked over for one reason or another...that's the politics of the GAA and the men who run the show!!!

The_Rat (Fermanagh) - Posts: 43 - 11/06/2019 18:41:10    2193629

Link

Replying To Coa_gael:  "the rumour surrounding gallagher's tenure apparently came via the dromore man who i assume would be dropped if any new manager was appointed. i thought the gallaghe/mcmenamin partnership worked well and indeed 'ricey' as they affectionately called him put a massive input to the team and maybe a contender if gallagher does decides to move on?"
Think Ricey would make a great inter-county manager. Held in high regard by those who have been coached by him in the past.

ryan (Donegal) - Posts: 443 - 11/06/2019 18:51:47    2193633

Link

Replying To The_Rat:  "TurnipHead. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 199 - 11/06/2019 09:32:07 writes...
shotgun you fired a shot at the Rat to challenge him on his statement. Although, I wouldn't normally do so, on this occasion I would agree with the Rat and his suggestion to get rid of passengers on the county senior panel. The Rat, haven't been a passenger himself (not necessary through his only fault but only got one outing to play due to an inadequate management at the time), probably has assessed the situation that prevails to this day. It doesn't help these passengers or want-to-be county stars as they are starved of not only no county play but restricted from playing for they club which renders them not match-ready due the absence of sufficient game participation. So 'shotgun', if you are in away involved with club football you will know that there are indeed a number of suitable footballers capable of being on the county senior panel. The problem lies with who knows who and sometimes club personnel will put forward some of their players through favouritism and not necessary for talent or ability. I have been around long enough at different levels and of course managing teams so I know what's happening at ground level through to county. There is also the long established pathway that sometimes is criticised and that is if you were a student of St Michael's College you were prioritised for county selection and I know this as I was a student there but not of county standard myself. Sorry for dragging on with this reply but 'shotgun' I think that squad recruitment should be seriously looked at in order to find the best way to pick up the best players capable of being be able to represent their county. Until new and fair recruitment system happens then you will have incapable passengers being on the panel just to make up the numbers

Replying to turniphead...
Aye gilly you would know but problem you have that you could never achieve what I have done so far!!!
Stick to steering your so called ship and some port might offer you docking eventually!!!
Replying to Shotgun...
Now to Shotgun and I don't why you are firing a shot across my bow as I was only offering my opinion having had experience of being there in such a scenario. I stand over my opinion that it's time for a good revamp of the Fermanagh camp and get rid of the bench warmers. To me, if they weren't brought on in the championship or the league then show them the door. As being a regular player myself I can assure you that there a a number of players capable of making the county grade but are looked over for one reason or another...that's the politics of the GAA and the men who run the show!!!"
Genuinely Didn't mean to be firing shots or whatever. I just wouldn't agree on that point. Would absolutely love to be proved wrong though and for a right few good players be added to the squad in the near future.

shotgun (Fermanagh) - Posts: 72 - 12/06/2019 00:40:10    2193772

Link

Replying To Gator:  "Hughes defo didnt start it."
The brother did

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 12/06/2019 10:36:59    2193839

Link

Replying To gotmilk:  "The brother did"
Rubbish......2 Fermanagh guys started melee ....game over & obviously frustrated ...2 reds warranted. Neither Hughes started it but Darren H wrong to enter field of play in an effort to separate players. Linesman saw whole episode & reported correctly to ref. It all happened opposite to where I was sitting !
Best of luck to Fermanagh in future...Rory should give his players more credit in terms of their ability.......they can play better football & be more successful !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 151 - 12/06/2019 14:03:34    2193939

Link

Replying To shotgun:  "
Replying To TurnipHead.:  "shotgun you fired a shot at the Rat to challenge him on his statement. Although, I wouldn't normally do so, on this occasion I would agree with the Rat and his suggestion to get rid of passengers on the county senior panel. The Rat, haven't been a passenger himself (not necessary through his only fault but only got one outing to play due to an inadequate management at the time), probably has assessed the situation that prevails to this day. It doesn't help these passengers or want-to-be county stars as they are starved of not only no county play but restricted from playing for they club which renders them not match-ready due the absence of sufficient game participation. So 'shotgun', if you are in away involved with club football you will know that there are indeed a number of suitable footballers capable of being on the county senior panel. The problem lies with who knows who and sometimes club personnel will put forward some of their players through favouritism and not necessary for talent or ability. I have been around long enough at different levels and of course managing teams so I know what's happening at ground level through to county. There is also the long established pathway that sometimes is criticised and that is if you were a student of St Michael's College you were prioritised for county selection and I know this as I was a student there but not of county standard myself. Sorry for dragging on with this reply but 'shotgun' I think that squad recruitment should be seriously looked at in order to find the best way to pick up the best players capable of being be able to represent their county. Until new and fair recruitment system happens then you will have incapable passengers being on the panel just to make up the numbers."
Yes I am very involved in club football. And would just love to know where all these lads that aren't currently on the panel, but are good enough according to you, are."
Some players just need to be given a chance to adapt to the inter-county level.

A few players around the county that could strengthen the Fermanagh squad are:

Stephen McGullion - Derrygonnelly
Gary McKenna - Derrygonnelly
Eoin Beacom - Gaels
Daire O'Cathain - Kinawley
James Allen - Kinawley
Eoin McManus - Teemore
Sean Cassidy - Ederney
Mark McCauley - Ederney
Finbar Gillen - Ederney
Eddie Courtney - Aghadrumsee
Darragh McBrien - Belnaleck
Danny Leonard - Derrylin
James Duffy - Irvinestown
Jason Flanagan - Newtownbulter
Tiarnan Bogue - Tempo
Rory McCaffery - Tempo

Don't get me wrong I am not saying all these lads could add to the squad but they're some talented footballers on that list.

allfermanagh (Fermanagh) - Posts: 66 - 13/06/2019 15:24:49    2194476

Link