Fermanagh Forum

ALL-IRELAND SENIOR FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

After a disappointing outcome today with Fermanagh losing 9 to 15 points to Donegal it's time to move on to the All-Ireland SFC Qualifiers draw of which the first-round will take place tomorrow morning. It will be broadcast live on Morning Ireland on RTE Radio 1 just after 8.30am and also carried live on gaa.ie
This first round draw involves the 16 teams who have been beaten and failed to reach their Provincial semi-final. The fixture details (Dates/times/Venues) will be confirmed by the CCCC on Tuesday afternoon along with the fixtures scheduled for weekend of June 8th/9th. All matches in this round of the Football Championship will be "Winner on the Day", if required.
The First team drawn in each tie will have home advantage* - exception: A Division 3 or 4 team from the current year's National league drawn against a Division 1 or 2 team will have home advantage*.
*Home Venues shall be subject to approval by the Central Competitions Control Committee and shall meet the criteria set down by the National Facilities/Health and Safety Committee.
The teams in the All-Ireland SFC Qualifiers draw will include:
Antrim
Fermanagh
Monaghan
Down
Derry
Leitrim
London
Leinster
Westmeath
Louth
Carlow
Longford/Kildare
Wicklow
Wexford
Offaly
Waterford
Tipperary

Remaining draw dates:
Round 2 Football | Monday, 10th June
Round 3 Football | Monday, 24th June
Round 4 Football | Monday, 1st July

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1227 - 26/05/2019 21:40:49    2187846

Link

SF Qualifier Round 1 Draw:
Monaghan v Fermanagh
Louth v Antrim
Tipperary v Down
Wexford v Derry
Leitrim v Wicklow
Offaly v London
Carlow v Kildare/Longford
Westmeath v Waterford

The fixture details (dates/times/venues) will be confirmed by the CCCC tomorrow (Tuesday) with the fixtures scheduled for the weekend of June 8-9. All matches in this round of the Football Championship will be "Winner on the Day", if required.

The first team drawn in each tie has home advantage except where a Division 3 or 4 team from the current year's Allianz league is drawn opposite a Division 1 or 2 team. The Division 3 or 4 team will have home advantage in that instance. Home venues shall be subject to approval by the Central Competitions Control Committee and shall meet the criteria set down by the National Facilities/Health and Safety Committee.

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1227 - 27/05/2019 09:46:45    2187979

Link

After the slating Fermanagh got for their so called style particularly on TSG .. I'm not surprised we drew Monaghan away .. you get the feeling the powers that be would rather we went away ... well let's show them boyz

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 174 - 27/05/2019 17:35:35    2188245

Link

Tough draw for Fermanagh in Clones but I feel that you can beat Monaghan. Yesterdays performance was much better than your critics will give you credit for. I felt sorry for Jones missing a free that would have made it a one point game at a time when Fermanagh were getting up some momentum and Bonner was getting more concerned on the sideline - visions of the Monaghan game last year no doubt flashing through his mind. You seem to have found two gems in Cassidy and Kelm. I felt that Ryan Jones, once he was rightly booked, got no protection from the ref. with at least three neck tackles on him but no one booked.

neverright (Roscommon) - Posts: 1607 - 27/05/2019 17:55:33    2188252

Link

Replying To KeshGFC:  "After the slating Fermanagh got for their so called style particularly on TSG .. I'm not surprised we drew Monaghan away .. you get the feeling the powers that be would rather we went away ... well let's show them boyz"
Hi mate, you think a bit like macca therefore both of you are living in cuckoo land if yo think Monaghan will be turfed out of the championship that easily. We should accept that Fermanagh hasn't the players of quality that you see performing with the top teams. Whoever is manager is, it will make very little difference.

cillnaile. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 952 - 27/05/2019 19:34:21    2188282

Link

The one tie either team would not have wanted at this stage… Monaghan will be on a revenge mission after last year. I know Gallagher will have looked to last year's final to warrant stationing 14 men inside our own 45 by we need to keep more men up front… could not believe my eyes when I saw Sean Quigley back inside our own 45 defending. Quigley needs to be stationed at full forward and left there nearly just for frees/45's and taking pot shots. Paul McCusker, probably the best ball winner in the county needs to start. Barry Mulrone done enough the last day to start for me. I would leave paul mccusker and danny teague (this can be rotated with corrigan/mulrone) inside our half of the pitch for outlets for the defence and support for Sean. Conall hasn't done enough to warrant starting and the dropped short free at this level at that stage of the game was inexcusable, at the very very least that should be going dead. People will believe that Fermanagh are done for the year but I honestly believe this Monaghan team are there for the taking.

McGrath
Cassidy Cullen Cullen
Kelm McMahon Breen
Jones Donnelly
Mulrone Decky McCusker Corrigan
Teague Quigley Paul McCusker

green_army (Fermanagh) - Posts: 17 - 28/05/2019 09:52:34    2188413

Link

Replying To green_army:  "The one tie either team would not have wanted at this stage… Monaghan will be on a revenge mission after last year. I know Gallagher will have looked to last year's final to warrant stationing 14 men inside our own 45 by we need to keep more men up front… could not believe my eyes when I saw Sean Quigley back inside our own 45 defending. Quigley needs to be stationed at full forward and left there nearly just for frees/45's and taking pot shots. Paul McCusker, probably the best ball winner in the county needs to start. Barry Mulrone done enough the last day to start for me. I would leave paul mccusker and danny teague (this can be rotated with corrigan/mulrone) inside our half of the pitch for outlets for the defence and support for Sean. Conall hasn't done enough to warrant starting and the dropped short free at this level at that stage of the game was inexcusable, at the very very least that should be going dead. People will believe that Fermanagh are done for the year but I honestly believe this Monaghan team are there for the taking.

McGrath
Cassidy Cullen Cullen
Kelm McMahon Breen
Jones Donnelly
Mulrone Decky McCusker Corrigan
Teague Quigley Paul McCusker"
I would agree with a lot of that, how Conal Jones is a cert starting every game (and never taken off) is beyond me. Although I wouldn't start Mulrone either, maybe bring him off the bench again for an impact. Monaghan were so poor against Cavan and usually are when McManus is nullified and that's definitely something our packed defence can do. My starting team would be:

James McGrath
Jonny Cassidy, Che Cullen, Kane Connor
Ultan Kelm, James McMahon, Lee Cullen
Eoin Donnelly, Ryan Jones
Aidan Breen, Decky McCusker, Ciaran Corrigan
Danny Teague, Sean Quigley, Ryan Lyons

Going by recent performances this year alone Eoin Donnelly has been poor, although he is experienced and has obviously done enough in the past to warrant the starting spot.
I feel Lyons always has a couple of points in him when he is in the correct position and that's something we lacked against Donegal, a quality shooter.
Corrigan, Kelm and Cassidy have been brilliant and I just hope other men step up against Monaghan so we can have a longer Summer than most people now predict !!!

shotgun (Fermanagh) - Posts: 72 - 28/05/2019 16:08:21    2188550

Link

After a few days to reflect on Sundays game,for those watching Fermanagh this year to date,it went as expected, we set-up and made it difficult for Donegal for 55 minutes but eventually their attacking power pulled them away.

There is no doubt Fermanagh gave 100% and ran themselves into the ground but forwards win matches and Donegal have an array of talent with Murphy, McBrearty and Brennan all capable of hitting 4/5 points from play on any given day, whereas we dont have that and rely on. The wind in second half helped the find their range plus with effort exerted by Fermanagh players couldnt be sustained for 70 minutes.
To win Fermanagh needed to get a goal and for that bit of luck, crucial 5 minute spell came in second half when Conal Jones dropped a simple free short then Donegal got a lucky score when our defence/keeper allowed a ball to bounce which McBrearty fisted over(instead of 1 point game was now 3 points)

Thought the performances of Ultan Kelm and Johnny Cassidy were both excellent on their championship starts, both along with Ciaran Corrigan were our best players. Barry Mulrone did very well on introduction which was positive,while think Paul McCusker/Ryon Lyons are better options ahead on Teague in Qualifiers(dont get why he brought back on especially being on yellow card)

The draw was unkind as always seem to be for Fermanagh, Monaghan will be well up for this after last years ambush,just hope Sean Quigley is fully fit so that have reliable free taker on pitch.

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 868 - 28/05/2019 21:18:12    2188639

Link

Replying To macca999:  "After a few days to reflect on Sundays game,for those watching Fermanagh this year to date,it went as expected, we set-up and made it difficult for Donegal for 55 minutes but eventually their attacking power pulled them away.

There is no doubt Fermanagh gave 100% and ran themselves into the ground but forwards win matches and Donegal have an array of talent with Murphy, McBrearty and Brennan all capable of hitting 4/5 points from play on any given day, whereas we dont have that and rely on. The wind in second half helped the find their range plus with effort exerted by Fermanagh players couldnt be sustained for 70 minutes.
To win Fermanagh needed to get a goal and for that bit of luck, crucial 5 minute spell came in second half when Conal Jones dropped a simple free short then Donegal got a lucky score when our defence/keeper allowed a ball to bounce which McBrearty fisted over(instead of 1 point game was now 3 points)

Thought the performances of Ultan Kelm and Johnny Cassidy were both excellent on their championship starts, both along with Ciaran Corrigan were our best players. Barry Mulrone did very well on introduction which was positive,while think Paul McCusker/Ryon Lyons are better options ahead on Teague in Qualifiers(dont get why he brought back on especially being on yellow card)

The draw was unkind as always seem to be for Fermanagh, Monaghan will be well up for this after last years ambush,just hope Sean Quigley is fully fit so that have reliable free taker on pitch."
macca999 your optimism in respect of Fermanagh progressing from the forthcoming All Ireland qualifier game with Monaghan fails to acknowledge the huge gulf between teams. Last year Fermanagh snatched victory from under the noses of Monaghan by clever planning and some luck rather than superiority of ability. I believe Fermanagh will struggle especially in defence and with no decent forwards, I fear that their exit from the championship will be swift. macca999's goggles may be rose-tinted but Malachy O'Rourke's will have full HD clarity of this time round!

abc1234 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 389 - 29/05/2019 09:33:13    2188734

Link

Replying To macca999:  "After a few days to reflect on Sundays game,for those watching Fermanagh this year to date,it went as expected, we set-up and made it difficult for Donegal for 55 minutes but eventually their attacking power pulled them away.

The draw was unkind as always seem to be for Fermanagh, Monaghan will be well up for this after last years ambush,just hope Sean Quigley is fully fit so that have reliable free taker on pitch."
Macca in relation to Paul McCusker/ Ryan Lyons being better options than Teague in your opinion, I take it you mean as scoring forwards? If so then maybe I would agree,

But Teague gets selected for his defensive work-rate, speed and strength in ball-carrying. It's indicative of the way we are set up currently which unfortunately draws severe criticism from both within and outside of the County. (I'm not a big fan of our style of play myself either even though I do like R Gallagher & the current squad alot)

The criticism Teague gets is strange. He's on to do a specific job which he does extremely well. Yes you can argue he picks up yellows quite consistently and often needlessly - but imagine how tired any player would be after doing what he does for 40-50 mins each game. Lazy tackles/challenges are gonna come from it, and by that stage he has emptied the tank anyway. We have 3-4 other players who regularly pick up needless yellows as well yet dont draw near as much criticism.

Incidentally, Teague is a seriously dangerous inside forward or even half forward in a more orthodox system, scoring wise. but the bottom line is we don't play that way and its not his role here.

I would like to see us change tact to having 4 forward outlets in the opposition half, at the very least 3! 1 on the 70 and 2 inside. It really is workable without losing too much of the defensive solidity we've built up the past 18 months.

I'm a realist though, and obviously its not going to happen on Sunday week against Monaghan. But I hope Rory takes them (and us!) by surprise next weekend and get at them higher up the pitch.

Either way I'll be there with fingers crossed.

RedRum (Fermanagh) - Posts: 264 - 29/05/2019 16:19:06    2188890

Link

Replying To cillnaile.:  "Hi mate, you think a bit like macca therefore both of you are living in cuckoo land if yo think Monaghan will be turfed out of the championship that easily. We should accept that Fermanagh hasn't the players of quality that you see performing with the top teams. Whoever is manager is, it will make very little difference."
How ye lad .. not sure I under estimated Monaghan anywhere in that post .. it's the most difficult draw possible.... I'm expressing my suspicion about the draw as I think everyone is jumping on the bandwagon to knock our style

Away from that point none of the small breaks went our way on Sunday and in a game of very fine margins it does come down to such things as two great chances falling to backs on their weak foot in first half .. ball allowed to bounce in our goal .. free dropped short ... frank mcglynn being allowed 10 steps before setting up a score ..... I would rank Donegal above Monaghan right now but they are still favourites ... still though we are a force to be reckoned with and will be a fascinating match in clones .. not a classic but might be won or lost by the managers reacting to what they see on the pitch

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 174 - 30/05/2019 08:00:57    2188998

Link

macca999 states that "Paul McCusker/Ryon Lyons are better options ahead on Teague in Qualifiers" but I would like to know his rationale for his statement? Did macca ever manage a team or for that matter played at county level or even senior club level to give him the authority to come out with such a negative statement?

Wired2theMoon (Fermanagh) - Posts: 25 - 30/05/2019 08:02:06    2188999

Link

I would also like to see us change tact, and why not against Monaghan. This is the ideal time to start fixing the failings so obvious against Donegal. A score of 9points will be no good against Roscommon,Cavan or Armagh. Why not set ourselves a target of 15 points on Saturday week. What does it Matter if Monaghan score 20. Its past time the clubs, who nurtured these players, got them back for a while.

fearman (Fermanagh) - Posts: 39 - 30/05/2019 09:03:45    2189012

Link

yes i agree with others in questioning macca's unwarranted comment about the ability of young teague who has given our county team such tremendous footie over the years and i think macca should apologise to teague for such a demeaning comment.

Coa_gael (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1150 - 30/05/2019 11:08:56    2189043

Link

Don't know why Treacy did not start but McGrath came and did well. Is Treacy injuried?

Our defence was solid and very hard for donegal to break us down. Well organised. But it is easy to have a good defence when you have everyone behind the ball. The only chance they had on goal came from a bit of indecision between breen and mcgrath but that thankfully donegal only got a point from it.

Thought both teams deserved to have a man sent for us Ryan Jones and for them who ever no.2 was i think itwas paddy McGrath.

It was not an epic game by any means but at least in was competitive for about 60mins then donegal pulled away near the end. Unlike the Tyrone Antrim game the night before.

Kelm, Cassidy and corrigian were our best players. Cassidy should have scored 2points but did excellent job marking Ryan McHugh. Che cullen was did well againist Murphy. Jones, kelm and Mulrone great scores. In the end though Donegal had to much firepower for us with the likes of Patrick McBearty and Jamie breenan.

I have said before that I would like us to play more attacking style and to leave at least 3 in the full forward line but on Sunday I think if we had played a more attacking style of football we would have been cut to pieces.

I would not have brought Teague back on.
1. he was already on a yellow card
2. don't think he is prolific enough in front of goal
3.sends a bad message to the other lads on the bench, and shows they ain't going to get get much game time. I would preffered to see darragh McGurn or Garvan Jones come on.

I think we have chance againist Monaghan it is not the draw either team would have wanted. Monaghan are a good team but they ain't as strong as they were a few years ago. We have a chance and we did beat them last year.

The team i would start.

treacy
cassidy che lee
kane mcmahon kelm
eoin ryan
corrigian breen declan
lyons sean Mcgurn

matches so for quick thoughts
down vs armagh. good game between to poor teams and if down had not a man sent off would have won
cavan vs monaghan. cavan very impressive and think will get to an ulster final. Monaghan is a good team but have peaked.
tyrone vs derry/antrim. tyrone looked going forward but vulnerable in defence and think donegal will beat them. Also played againist 2 division 4 teams. Derry better than expected. antrim poor

ERNEDEVIL (Fermanagh) - Posts: 45 - 30/05/2019 15:39:35    2189142

Link

Sorry lads but we can't change our style of play now .. why we can do is execute it better .. we made 3clear goal chances And went for one and scored none .. Kelm was straight thru .. Cassidy was straight thru both opting for points and Teague manufactured a great shot on his own.. sorry Lads but Lyons and Paul Mc are better as impact subs for me .. Teagues only flaw is that he is guaranteed a yellow card within 30mins and his temperament makes him a liability to leave on after that .. I'd love to see him keep his nose clean for a change .. my ONLY criticism !!
Back to my first point .. what to tweak ?? We need score takers on the field so why not try McGurn and McBrien even as both are fast and can get out and win ball as target men .. u can't say the same of C Jones or Big Sean .. to not have a viable target limits attacking options .. Sean works better At spreading passes than receiving them

Anyway I will go to Clones quite optimistic as we learned a lot about ourselves and we went to to toe with a top 8 team for 65 mins and but for some poor decision making would have been 70+ mins

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 174 - 30/05/2019 15:39:52    2189143

Link

I read through all the waffle in recent postings and have concluded that there is little agreement as to what players should play where and introduced when and no one offers a convincing prediction or team composition. It seems to me that contains of such waffling is to either attack players' capabilities or to selectively support/confirm their judgement (whether correct or not) of the best or better players that Rory should field against the Farney men. It doesn't take a genius to assess the key players for their relevant roles and they rest in midfield men Jones and Donnelly in winning and cleverly passing the ball so to advance forward so that like Quigleys McCusker (P) or Teague to finish off the run to populate the scoreboard. However, it with be in defence where the battle will be won or lost and have great faith in Cassidy and the Cullens because of their consistency. As for the rest of the team players more effort will be required if Fermangh has any chance of survival in this year's qualifiers.
PS. I'm disappointed that macca chose to essentially belittle Teague and such a comment doesn't do anything in terms of encouragement.

gaalltheway (Fermanagh) - Posts: 746 - 30/05/2019 22:23:46    2189256

Link

Replying To ERNEDEVIL:  "Don't know why Treacy did not start but McGrath came and did well. Is Treacy injuried?

Our defence was solid and very hard for donegal to break us down. Well organised. But it is easy to have a good defence when you have everyone behind the ball. The only chance they had on goal came from a bit of indecision between breen and mcgrath but that thankfully donegal only got a point from it.

Thought both teams deserved to have a man sent for us Ryan Jones and for them who ever no.2 was i think itwas paddy McGrath.

It was not an epic game by any means but at least in was competitive for about 60mins then donegal pulled away near the end. Unlike the Tyrone Antrim game the night before.

Kelm, Cassidy and corrigian were our best players. Cassidy should have scored 2points but did excellent job marking Ryan McHugh. Che cullen was did well againist Murphy. Jones, kelm and Mulrone great scores. In the end though Donegal had to much firepower for us with the likes of Patrick McBearty and Jamie breenan.

I have said before that I would like us to play more attacking style and to leave at least 3 in the full forward line but on Sunday I think if we had played a more attacking style of football we would have been cut to pieces.

I would not have brought Teague back on.
1. he was already on a yellow card
2. don't think he is prolific enough in front of goal
3.sends a bad message to the other lads on the bench, and shows they ain't going to get get much game time. I would preffered to see darragh McGurn or Garvan Jones come on.

I think we have chance againist Monaghan it is not the draw either team would have wanted. Monaghan are a good team but they ain't as strong as they were a few years ago. We have a chance and we did beat them last year.

The team i would start.

treacy
cassidy che lee
kane mcmahon kelm
eoin ryan
corrigian breen declan
lyons sean Mcgurn

matches so for quick thoughts
down vs armagh. good game between to poor teams and if down had not a man sent off would have won
cavan vs monaghan. cavan very impressive and think will get to an ulster final. Monaghan is a good team but have peaked.
tyrone vs derry/antrim. tyrone looked going forward but vulnerable in defence and think donegal will beat them. Also played againist 2 division 4 teams. Derry better than expected. antrim poor"
No Treacy is not injured. James McGrath is just a top Keeper and worth his place at this time. The high ball that was kicked in and bounced, actually bounced near the 14 so it should've been the defence handling it not the keeper as it was too far from the goals. I think it was Breen and someone else that just let it bounce for McBrearty to punch over. The Donegal game got such negative press but Fermanagh were in it right until 60/65 mins or so!! Only for a very good block on Teague's goal effort who knows what may have happened. People need to stop whinging and realise in order to compete with the top teams, we have to set up like this to keep it tight. The Donegal forwards are top class and and giving them space would've been criminal.

shotgun (Fermanagh) - Posts: 72 - 30/05/2019 23:22:20    2189271

Link

What's the craic with tickets for Sunday does anyone know ?? With 4 ulster counties going .. and will qualifier prices suddenly become ulster semi prices .. ?? Would they !? Would the GAA do that ? Never

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 174 - 03/06/2019 14:50:42    2190193

Link

Replying To KeshGFC:  "What's the craic with tickets for Sunday does anyone know ?? With 4 ulster counties going .. and will qualifier prices suddenly become ulster semi prices .. ?? Would they !? Would the GAA do that ? Never"
Gussie, tickets I guess will be Pre Purchase: €20.00 & Match-Day: €25.00.
Should be a interesting game if Fermanagh go ahead early. Monaghan is not as sure of themselves as ;last year and it might affect their confidence. I guess looking at the way the Armagh v Cavan semi final went anything could happen. Hopefully, Quigley is in top notch as his freetaking will be crucial. I was impressed with Mulrone in the last game and I believe he will raise his game in this knockout. Cassidy and Kelm are two others that the team need to be top performing. I think Fermanagh can do it!
Finally, I think yond macca man should have the courtesy to acknowledge that he was out of order with his comment on Daniel Teague, and apologise. It take a real man to accept when he got it wrong!

BigToeJoe (Fermanagh) - Posts: 106 - 03/06/2019 17:25:53    2190251

Link