Wexford Forum

Lighting For Wexford Park

(Oldest Posts First)

I see we are finally going to get floodlights in Wexford Park. This was reported at a recent County board meeting. Of course planning permission will have to be granted first. It's taken a long time for us to catch up in this regard. Wexford Park was reopened in 2001,that's 18 years. I realise floodlights doesn't come cheap, but almost every county ground in the country have them, and even some clubs are up and running for a long time. Anyway let's be grateful and hope that we won't be waiting too long. My advice, don't hold your breath.

Blockandhook (Wexford) - Posts: 145 - 09/02/2019 12:10:19    2163663

Link

Replying To Blockandhook:  "I see we are finally going to get floodlights in Wexford Park. This was reported at a recent County board meeting. Of course planning permission will have to be granted first. It's taken a long time for us to catch up in this regard. Wexford Park was reopened in 2001,that's 18 years. I realise floodlights doesn't come cheap, but almost every county ground in the country have them, and even some clubs are up and running for a long time. Anyway let's be grateful and hope that we won't be waiting too long. My advice, don't hold your breath."
Personally at this time of the year much prefer going to games at 2 on a Sunday rather than 7 on a Saturday

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 1388 - 09/02/2019 12:37:03    2163668

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "Personally at this time of the year much prefer going to games at 2 on a Sunday rather than 7 on a Saturday"
Yeah, agree with you, I've never been at a game under lights, but talking to those that have, they say it creates a good atmosphere. Anyway let's wait and see.

Blockandhook (Wexford) - Posts: 145 - 09/02/2019 13:34:02    2163682

Link

cant see them getting planning ,hope they do but very much doubt it was it not denied in past ? or they were told it would be denied not to bother applying

Stmunnsriver (Wexford) - Posts: 1640 - 09/02/2019 15:00:55    2163696

Link

How would they be denied planning? It's lights on the main stadium in the county.

icehonesty (Wexford) - Posts: 2312 - 09/02/2019 18:12:46    2163724

Link

Get seats instead of freezing our backsides off on concrete benches
Get a public address system that doesn't sound like a scratched CD
Get toilets that don't resemble a third world prison

Then get lights

Yellow (Wexford) - Posts: 170 - 09/02/2019 18:48:54    2163728

Link

Replying To icehonesty:  "How would they be denied planning? It's lights on the main stadium in the county."
One would wonder what the objections could possibly be. Maybe the residents of Corish Park feel that the glare from the lights would be intrusive. Can't think of anything else. Maybe it's coming from elsewhere, whatever the reason, it shouldn't be impossible to sort out.

Blockandhook (Wexford) - Posts: 145 - 09/02/2019 18:55:02    2163729

Link

Replying To Yellow:  "Get seats instead of freezing our backsides off on concrete benches

Then get lights"
Agreed with all of the above. How the PA system hasn't been sorted yet Is a scandal.

alwaysasub (Wexford) - Posts: 149 - 09/02/2019 21:57:13    2163823

Link

Replying To Blockandhook:  "One would wonder what the objections could possibly be. Maybe the residents of Corish Park feel that the glare from the lights would be intrusive. Can't think of anything else. Maybe it's coming from elsewhere, whatever the reason, it shouldn't be impossible to sort out."
As opposed to those god damn street lights....

Now maybe its my age, but I prefer Saturday evening or night matches all year round. Saturday is a great evening for a match and a few beers, by Sunday I am going back to college.

StoreysTash (Wexford) - Posts: 256 - 10/02/2019 14:27:41    2163995

Link

whether you prefer sunday or saturday matches is not a debate,floodlights are needed in our county grounds.
i would also say we need a few 4g pitches.better for all involved that later in the season hurling and football can be played on something resembling a solid pitch.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3245 - 10/02/2019 15:46:29    2164038

Link

Replying To StoreysTash:  "As opposed to those god damn street lights....

Now maybe its my age, but I prefer Saturday evening or night matches all year round. Saturday is a great evening for a match and a few beers, by Sunday I am going back to college."
I'd prefer Saturday games to Sunday games in the championship too town was fantastic the night of the kk game in 2017, but this time of the year wouldn't like the 7pm games. I know for hurling alot of managers and players aren't fans of games under lights harder to judge the flight of the ball and the quality of the game can suffer

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 1388 - 10/02/2019 23:30:23    2164342

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "whether you prefer sunday or saturday matches is not a debate,floodlights are needed in our county grounds.
i would also say we need a few 4g pitches.better for all involved that later in the season hurling and football can be played on something resembling a solid pitch."
Are floodlights in the park really a must? For club games I can think of 10 other grounds who hosted championship games and st martins also got lights installed over the winter

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 1388 - 10/02/2019 23:34:05    2164344

Link

Replying To Yellow:  "Get seats instead of freezing our backsides off on concrete benches

Then get lights"
Agreed on all of the above.

A small warm up area (even a small astro turf similar to what is in Croker) for players would also be a priority of mine. However I do realise that will be difficult due to space constraints.

irishmanabroad (Wexford) - Posts: 42 - 11/02/2019 17:20:34    2164618

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "Are floodlights in the park really a must? For club games I can think of 10 other grounds who hosted championship games and st martins also got lights installed over the winter"
There's a big difference between club floodlights and top quality ones. The Gaelic Grounds lights were a million quid about 10 to15 years ago. I remember being out in Sixmilebridge for a Munster league game at night and then the replay the following Wednesday in Limerick. Massive difference. Wexford Park should get the best ones available.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 993 - 14/02/2019 19:35:17    2165394

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "There's a big difference between club floodlights and top quality ones. The Gaelic Grounds lights were a million quid about 10 to15 years ago. I remember being out in Sixmilebridge for a Munster league game at night and then the replay the following Wednesday in Limerick. Massive difference. Wexford Park should get the best ones available."
It would be terrific to have a proper floodlighting system in place. In this day and age surely the main ground in the county should not be left behind in this regard. Of course there is a high cost and as our county board are slow to react when it comes to spending money, I just can't see them opening the purse strings and handing over a million quid.

Blockandhook (Wexford) - Posts: 145 - 14/02/2019 22:38:52    2165415

Link