Westmeath Forum

Westmeath Hurling 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Brendanj:  "The structure for the IHC was agreed by all clubs at the start of the year. A fixture plan was issued to all clubs so everyone knew when they were playing. Overall the IHC was very competitive this year Clonkill beat Raharney well in the first round in April yet at the end were third from bottom. There were a lot of draws this year and prior to the last round any of 5 teams could have qualified for the knock out stages. It will be interesting to see how Cullion and Raharney fare out in the Senior B next year."
That's true. What I said was more in response to the comment above about the relegated team from 2018 (Plunkett's) not making the semis. They only lost 2 games - both to senior clubs's second teams. It's fair to point out that they played a very different Castletown team than most of their rivals had to.

Andy_Capp (Westmeath) - Posts: 255 - 18/09/2019 13:55:58    2237121

Link

Replying To jobber:  "The new set up has three competitions of six all playing a round robin. If Raharney, Clonkill and Castletown are fit to have two teams in these from small rural populations whilst Plunketts sit on their backsides in Mullingar doing nothing so be it."
I agree, if the three senior teams are fit to have two competitive teams to compete them so be it - the problem arises when they pick and choose which games to be competitive in.
I don't think Plunketts were sitting on their backsides in mullingar doing nothing. I also don't think they were good enough to win the Intermediate. The fact is the Senior Clubs used the Intermediate to their advantage (i.e. developing players). The downside of that is the competitive nature of the competition is unbalanced when it comes to the final round of games as the senior clubs will prefer to have their full strength available for the Senior Championship. The final round of games in the intermediate saw Plunketts V Ringtown (two teams giving everything to survive in the championship and both teams struggled against a strong castletown team in early rounds with a loss and a draw), cullion v castletown (1 team full strength v 1 team depleted due to their senior team playing the same evening) - is this not disregarding the value of the intermediate championship and lessening the intent on finding the best team in the intermediate? The solution is you pick a squad to play in the championship and you stick to it - the minute you lessen your squad you change the playing ground for all the clubs in the table. Similar to giving one team a walkover whilst beating another team

GAA_Analyst (Westmeath) - Posts: 34 - 18/09/2019 14:56:13    2237163

Link

Replying To GAA_Analyst:  "I agree, if the three senior teams are fit to have two competitive teams to compete them so be it - the problem arises when they pick and choose which games to be competitive in.
I don't think Plunketts were sitting on their backsides in mullingar doing nothing. I also don't think they were good enough to win the Intermediate. The fact is the Senior Clubs used the Intermediate to their advantage (i.e. developing players). The downside of that is the competitive nature of the competition is unbalanced when it comes to the final round of games as the senior clubs will prefer to have their full strength available for the Senior Championship. The final round of games in the intermediate saw Plunketts V Ringtown (two teams giving everything to survive in the championship and both teams struggled against a strong castletown team in early rounds with a loss and a draw), cullion v castletown (1 team full strength v 1 team depleted due to their senior team playing the same evening) - is this not disregarding the value of the intermediate championship and lessening the intent on finding the best team in the intermediate? The solution is you pick a squad to play in the championship and you stick to it - the minute you lessen your squad you change the playing ground for all the clubs in the table. Similar to giving one team a walkover whilst beating another team"
Im almost sure Castletown didn't lose anyone until after the last round of intermediate was played. Clonkill lost a good few early in the rounds while I dont think Raharney lost many

soreknee (Westmeath) - Posts: 110 - 18/09/2019 15:11:44    2237170

Link

Replying To soreknee:  "Im almost sure Castletown didn't lose anyone until after the last round of intermediate was played. Clonkill lost a good few early in the rounds while I dont think Raharney lost many"
Gavigan and Glennon?

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 684 - 18/09/2019 23:56:56    2237399

Link

Replying To Andy_Capp:  "That's true. What I said was more in response to the comment above about the relegated team from 2018 (Plunkett's) not making the semis. They only lost 2 games - both to senior clubs's second teams. It's fair to point out that they played a very different Castletown team than most of their rivals had to."
raharney lost 4/5 players and still in county final. If 2nd teams from senior clubs are still good enough then to compete in a county final then so be it. Problem lies with sole intermediate clubs, far too much whinging here.

theslenderman (Westmeath) - Posts: 42 - 19/09/2019 08:55:28    2237451

Link

Replying To jobber:  "Gavigan and Glennon?"
I think they both played against Cullion and then they played Senior that night against Raharney.

soreknee (Westmeath) - Posts: 110 - 19/09/2019 10:01:55    2237470

Link

Replying To soreknee:  "I think they both played against Cullion and then they played Senior that night against Raharney."
i think you are spot on.Slenderman is right as well Raharney are in the county final minus at least 22 or 3 players what the hell are Plunketts and Ringtown in particular at?

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 684 - 19/09/2019 14:49:37    2237579

Link

in some counties you have to name a squad before the championship for the first and second teams, and that is it. no regrading.
if you look at the age profiles of Plunketts, Ringtown, and Turin that is their main problem. Southern Gaels just don't seem to be able to keep lads playing from underage
Cullion have a much younger team as do Raharney

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1640 - 20/09/2019 09:47:06    2237761

Link

Replying To valley84:  "in some counties you have to name a squad before the championship for the first and second teams, and that is it. no regrading.
if you look at the age profiles of Plunketts, Ringtown, and Turin that is their main problem. Southern Gaels just don't seem to be able to keep lads playing from underage
Cullion have a much younger team as do Raharney"
I see Shane O Brien got the senior hurling job with Paudie O Neill and Alan Kerins and Brendan Murtagh. Its an impressive line up let's hope it's this time lucky for Mcdonagh

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 684 - 20/09/2019 13:53:42    2237826

Link

Replying To jobber:  "I see Shane O Brien got the senior hurling job with Paudie O Neill and Alan Kerins and Brendan Murtagh. Its an impressive line up let's hope it's this time lucky for Mcdonagh"
Best of luck to them

I wouldn't have Murtagh near a team.
Too much baggage and he hasn't been involved with underage in his club or with county panels

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1640 - 20/09/2019 20:17:58    2237914

Link

Replying To valley84:  "Best of luck to them

I wouldn't have Murtagh near a team.
Too much baggage and he hasn't been involved with underage in his club or with county panels"
Murtagh was part of this years set up, and the 20s aswel I think... It's a small community of people we have, everyone going to have some sort of baggage?

What's Alan Kerins coaching background?

LockLeanGayl (Westmeath) - Posts: 12 - 21/09/2019 21:22:54    2238139

Link