Dublin Forum

Conor McHugh

(Oldest Posts First)

Was sure from watching him at underage he was going to be a Dublin star he was under 21 POTY in '14 but he hasn't kicked on whatsoever he's mid 20's now and just doesn't look like he has the confidence playing with Dublin , he got a ball yesterday in the 2nd half one on one with the defender and couldn't skin him it was a corner forwards dream but he hadn't the confidence to go by him, what's people's thoughts has he still got a chance ? He has talent no doubt.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9569 - 28/01/2019 11:29:07    2160322

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Was sure from watching him at underage he was going to be a Dublin star he was under 21 POTY in '14 but he hasn't kicked on whatsoever he's mid 20's now and just doesn't look like he has the confidence playing with Dublin , he got a ball yesterday in the 2nd half one on one with the defender and couldn't skin him it was a corner forwards dream but he hadn't the confidence to go by him, what's people's thoughts has he still got a chance ? He has talent no doubt."
Hasnt got much of a run in his defence, but that being said, i dont ever see him being a regular starter and if his impacts from the bench are as poor as yesterday then i dont see where he gets big game experience barring a serious injury crisis.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13236 - 28/01/2019 11:49:16    2160331

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Was sure from watching him at underage he was going to be a Dublin star he was under 21 POTY in '14 but he hasn't kicked on whatsoever he's mid 20's now and just doesn't look like he has the confidence playing with Dublin , he got a ball yesterday in the 2nd half one on one with the defender and couldn't skin him it was a corner forwards dream but he hadn't the confidence to go by him, what's people's thoughts has he still got a chance ? He has talent no doubt."
Great talent but feel he's let it slip by a wee bit. In his defence there are a lot of players vying for a position in that Dublin forward line.

Does he lack a small bit of pace maybe?

I don't know but I don't think he offered enough to get in ahead of the rest.

Is he a better option in the forward line than Mannion, O'Callaghan, Howard, Scully, Kilkenny, Flynn, Brogan, McManoman, Andrews, Basquel, Costello, O'Gara or Rock? I don't think so.

That's 13 players going for 6 positions. And 12 of those players (Basquel excluded) have produced big, big moments for Dublin in All-Ireland Semi-Finals and Finals when the game was in the melting pot.

When you look at that it's easy to see how a player might struggle to break into the side!

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12351 - 28/01/2019 12:21:58    2160348

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "Great talent but feel he's let it slip by a wee bit. In his defence there are a lot of players vying for a position in that Dublin forward line.

Does he lack a small bit of pace maybe?

I don't know but I don't think he offered enough to get in ahead of the rest.

Is he a better option in the forward line than Mannion, O'Callaghan, Howard, Scully, Kilkenny, Flynn, Brogan, McManoman, Andrews, Basquel, Costello, O'Gara or Rock? I don't think so.

That's 13 players going for 6 positions. And 12 of those players (Basquel excluded) have produced big, big moments for Dublin in All-Ireland Semi-Finals and Finals when the game was in the melting pot.

When you look at that it's easy to see how a player might struggle to break into the side!"
Summed it all up there

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 18964 - 28/01/2019 14:03:07    2160395

Link

I think he has been unfortunate to come through at a time where skilful corner play isnt the right way to go anymore, Bernard and Costello have suffered from this in my opinion as well as we live through the advent of defensive systems. Corner forward play now is all about with having pace to get in behind, take it to the corner, skin your man or to hug the line to provide width and giving shape and being the first line of defense. Its no mistake that Paddy Andrews and Mannion have held these positions in the main. I dont see these as McHugh's key attributes.

I would also disagree that he hasnt got much of a run, hes been knocking around league campaigns for three to four years now and has had mins, he has also had opportunities in the O Byrne cup etc. You look at someone like Colm Basquel who has come in behind him and has been more effective. He hasnt done a lot to impact in games with chance, nor to be sprung from the bench the way Costello could be in an All Ireland final and be effective.

I was thinking to myself yesterday, about Gavin's faith in him, he seems to be tremendously loyal to him, he had him at U 21 etc, but for me the sands are or maybe have shifted underneath him.

He really needs to have a marquee game this league campaign to have any hope of making a name for himself.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 2184 - 28/01/2019 14:21:48    2160405

Link

Think Conor has missed the boat , just hasn't happened for him , has had chances but never really took them which is a pity , cause without doubt the talent is there.

superbluedub (Dublin) - Posts: 1428 - 03/02/2019 17:56:17    2162089

Link

Replying To superbluedub:  "Think Conor has missed the boat , just hasn't happened for him , has had chances but never really took them which is a pity , cause without doubt the talent is there."
yea pretty much.

Cant ever see him starting an all Ireland final or semi final type game

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13236 - 03/02/2019 20:40:35    2162235

Link

Tough on him with all that talent around him, just bad timing I think.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7319 - 03/02/2019 22:00:37    2162293

Link