Monaghan Forum

Division 1 - 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Farney:  "Anybody got the list of subs not used from the game on Saturday?"
Conor Forde, John McCarro , Dessie Mone, Neil McAdam, Paudie McKenna and Barry McGinn

Pukefootball (Monaghan) - Posts: 377 - 18/03/2019 14:15:37    2173402

Link

Replying To shaggylegend:  "Back to yesterday game it showed the injuries picked up the league have had a massive baring on our position. If Boyle,Kelly and Kieran Duffy players in Kerry I believe we would have won.
Add O'Hanlon, Ward, Hughes and Kearns into the mix and we are a serious outfit when everyone is fit.

Just a special mention to Conor McCarthy who I thought really stepped up. Won two vital frees by running at the Cavan defence, got a couple of points but his work all around the field was exceptional.
Won two vital balls in the full back line in the first half. He has the ability now just needs to be given the chance he deserves."
I'm glad Cavan didn't get to see O'Hanlon first hand. He's still something of an unknown quantity and the less they know the better. Good result on Saturday, Cavan have the same failings they had 10 years ago and now they've added indiscipline too! Game took the course of most matches between us recently in that in the end our superior forwards proved to be the difference. This weekend is going to be tough. No love lost between Mayo and Monaghan. I think Kerry's defeat v Mayo helps as there's a league title beckoning for them now so hopefully they'll do the job in The Hyde.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 264 - 19/03/2019 04:53:46    2173585

Link

Come championship McCarthy and OHanlon need to be playing either side of Mansy aswell as Jack at no 11 for us to be able to take our attacking game to the next level and win the big games in Croker!

Monaghan2000 (Monaghan) - Posts: 10 - 19/03/2019 15:42:07    2173726

Link

Replying To Monaghan2000:  "Come championship McCarthy and OHanlon need to be playing either side of Mansy aswell as Jack at no 11 for us to be able to take our attacking game to the next level and win the big games in Croker!"
You said it. The wisest words on this forum I've read. Those 4 in those positions, McAnespie and Malone in with them and Fintan further back. Basically play your best forwards and you'll outscore most teams. K Hughes hopfully comes back into that equation too.

Mon79 (Monaghan) - Posts: 38 - 20/03/2019 12:20:38    2173910

Link

Replying To Mon79:  "You said it. The wisest words on this forum I've read. Those 4 in those positions, McAnespie and Malone in with them and Fintan further back. Basically play your best forwards and you'll outscore most teams. K Hughes hopfully comes back into that equation too."
I agree with those names but k Hughes has o be FF if we are to progress in the summer. Malachy sees that now !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 48 - 20/03/2019 14:13:43    2173948

Link

Replying To Mon79:  "You said it. The wisest words on this forum I've read. Those 4 in those positions, McAnespie and Malone in with them and Fintan further back. Basically play your best forwards and you'll outscore most teams. K Hughes hopfully comes back into that equation too."
So true I have said from day one that K Hughes Manzy McCarthy/OHanlon should be left up front to do the business and the rest of the half foward line can do the donkey work tracking back this is where malone carey McAnespie can be of benefit to the team instead of depending on them for scores.

Monaghan2000 (Monaghan) - Posts: 10 - 20/03/2019 15:48:19    2173984

Link

Replying To Shelbourne1:  "I agree with those names but k Hughes has o be FF if we are to progress in the summer. Malachy sees that now !"
Unfortunately I don't believe MOR does see that.

Mon79 (Monaghan) - Posts: 38 - 20/03/2019 17:18:20    2174007

Link

We seem to be warming up nicely for championship and I like the way we are not showing our hand to any of the teams in the league. Few men being dropped and off the 26 and I would say the 26 for Mayo, at least 22 will be on the 26 for Cavan. Where is Niall Kearns and Kieran Hughes? Its getting to the stage when they are not back now that they wont be in contention for the 26 in Cavan due to no game time.
We will stay up as Kerry wont and will not want to loose twice going into championship and Roscommon has their 2 big games and bottled it against Tyrone.

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 71 - 20/03/2019 20:11:59    2174036

Link

Replying To Mon79:  "Unfortunately I don't believe MOR does see that."
When K Hughes is back fit you will see that he is Malachy's first choice at FF.

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 48 - 20/03/2019 21:52:49    2174067

Link

Replying To Mon79:  "Unfortunately I don't believe MOR does see that."
I agree , Kieran Hughes probably a bit on the wild side for him , can't understand how Carey and bannigan stayed on the field as long as they did ..again .. Barry mcGinn hasn't got to show us what he's capable off .. same old and that won't change unfortunately

stoneygrey (Monaghan) - Posts: 98 - 21/03/2019 07:20:51    2174103

Link

Replying To Shelbourne1:  "When K Hughes is back fit you will see that he is Malachy's first choice at FF."
I hope so - but he's so valuable in midfield too?...and midfield wins games, it's why we've had a fairly poor league

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 24 - 21/03/2019 09:09:05    2174116

Link

Replying To stoneygrey:  "I agree , Kieran Hughes probably a bit on the wild side for him , can't understand how Carey and bannigan stayed on the field as long as they did ..again .. Barry mcGinn hasn't got to show us what he's capable off .. same old and that won't change unfortunately"
McGinns lack of pace will really limit his potential to make it at county level sadly..

Monaghan2000 (Monaghan) - Posts: 10 - 21/03/2019 09:49:57    2174124

Link

Replying To MalsBalls:  "I hope so - but he's so valuable in midfield too?...and midfield wins games, it's why we've had a fairly poor league"
Good point but I don't think Kieran has the engine or the discipline to play midfield, he's far better suited to full foward

Monaghan2000 (Monaghan) - Posts: 10 - 21/03/2019 09:50:59    2174125

Link

Replying To Monaghan2000:  "Good point but I don't think Kieran has the engine or the discipline to play midfield, he's far better suited to full foward"
i think he's getting back to fitness now. he'll hardly feature on sunday? but if gets a few club games in April we're laughing. same goes for kearns.

Good to see boyle, finty and paudie back in the mix too

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 24 - 21/03/2019 10:27:05    2174135

Link