Antrim Forum

Make The 2018 All County Leagues Null And Void

(Oldest Posts First)

In light of St Pauls proposal for league reconstruction to save them having to play in the botton tier of the Antrim football leagues I counter propose that all 2018 results be null amd void. It would have the same desired outcome for St Pauls, would save messing with what were competitive leagues and could even use the 2018 fixtures to save that particular headache for the administrators.

The only losers would be St Brides, GNM, Con Magees and St Pats but that would be a small price to maintain the Div 1 status of Glenavy and Rossa, and the Duv 2 status of StPauld and ODees. The obvious big sell is that it would favour 3 Belfast clubs while only inhibiting 2.

Ultimately St Pauls are too big to be playing in Div 3.

Naysayer (Antrim) - Posts: 2071 - 13/11/2018 07:25:54    2150890

Link

Yeah read something about this last night over on another GAA forum (it was only looking Administrators so technically not cheating on youse) and thought at start it was someone on the wind up. But when I got my senses again realised sure this is par for the course when it comes to some clubs when faced with relegation as the same was happening 20+ years ago.

On the Motion itself - what gall do you have to have to ask for a seasons worth of football to be wiped from the records - not just for your own club who were relegated to the bottom tier but for all the other 33 clubs who trained and put the effort? How on earth can you turn round to Glenravel and Lisburn and say, well done lads but youse aren't getting promoted out of the bottom league and to Gort Na Mona and St Brigids that the fruit of their toil over the season isn't to get in to the top division but to remain in the second tier?

Firstly, if there was a proposal from any club or the County itself to make changes to the leagues then it has to be done prior to the start of a season so that everyone knows exactly what their targets are from the outset. You cannot move goalposts when the game has started and why this hasn't been written in stone before now I do not know (or perhaps the cynic in me does know why!!). If St Paul's are trying to sell this as a Motion which would benefit Antrim Football then again why are they asking for the last season to be wiped? If this wasn't a self preservation Motion then they would have said based on the final standings after Promotion and Relegation had been accounted for. However, even if that had been their Motion then how do you determine who makes up the 8 top teams - do the two Div 2 teams promoted end up in the 1A 8 team league or in the 1B 8 team league - in which case they are still in the second tier?

Anyway - I am putting my faith in the clubs of Antrim to see this for what it is and vote against it.

Offside_Rule (Antrim) - Posts: 3800 - 13/11/2018 09:03:07    2150899

Link

Replying To Offside_Rule:  "Yeah read something about this last night over on another GAA forum (it was only looking Administrators so technically not cheating on youse) and thought at start it was someone on the wind up. But when I got my senses again realised sure this is par for the course when it comes to some clubs when faced with relegation as the same was happening 20+ years ago.

On the Motion itself - what gall do you have to have to ask for a seasons worth of football to be wiped from the records - not just for your own club who were relegated to the bottom tier but for all the other 33 clubs who trained and put the effort? How on earth can you turn round to Glenravel and Lisburn and say, well done lads but youse aren't getting promoted out of the bottom league and to Gort Na Mona and St Brigids that the fruit of their toil over the season isn't to get in to the top division but to remain in the second tier?

Firstly, if there was a proposal from any club or the County itself to make changes to the leagues then it has to be done prior to the start of a season so that everyone knows exactly what their targets are from the outset. You cannot move goalposts when the game has started and why this hasn't been written in stone before now I do not know (or perhaps the cynic in me does know why!!). If St Paul's are trying to sell this as a Motion which would benefit Antrim Football then again why are they asking for the last season to be wiped? If this wasn't a self preservation Motion then they would have said based on the final standings after Promotion and Relegation had been accounted for. However, even if that had been their Motion then how do you determine who makes up the 8 top teams - do the two Div 2 teams promoted end up in the 1A 8 team league or in the 1B 8 team league - in which case they are still in the second tier?

Anyway - I am putting my faith in the clubs of Antrim to see this for what it is and vote against it."
Better to wait until the end of the season to break this news so that teams still take the leagues seriously. Had it been agreed before the season began teams would have been fighting for top 8 in Div 1, top 4 in Div 2 and Div 3 teams could have had a jolly.

St Pauls were Kingpins in the 90's. We should maybe go the whole hog and replicate the leagues back then. Teams like Rossa, Rasharkin, Ballymena, Glenravel etc should be invited in to Div 1 for 2019 with the like of Creggan, Portglenone, St Teresas, Ahoghill etc bucked down the leagues where they belong.

Naysayer (Antrim) - Posts: 2071 - 13/11/2018 12:56:45    2150938

Link

Lol naysayer. Funnily enough I watched St Paul's beat Creggan last season in the league and was gobsmacked that not only were they relegated from Div one but to go on down to Div 2 and get relegated again is unreal. I also recall ahogill beating Cargin in the league at Toome and Aldergrove beating Creggan up at Creggan both last games of the seasons and both to save their skin and relegate others.
Glad those days are gone since the leagues changed. Not surprised to see Rossa relegated, been dodging that bullet for a few years aided with late league fixtures.
Personally speaking, I would like to see dual club leagues or just a Belfast league and winners go on to play in all county championship. Would sort out a lot of travel issues.

Rules_man (Armagh) - Posts: 151 - 27/11/2018 22:31:24    2152663

Link

Glad to hear that common sense kicked in and the Motion was removed from the County Convention there the other night.

Offside_Rule (Antrim) - Posts: 3800 - 05/12/2018 11:58:59    2153374

Link

Common sense in antrim?

Rules_man (Armagh) - Posts: 151 - 14/12/2018 16:38:13    2154296

Link

Replying To Rules_man:  "Common sense in antrim?"
common sense (noun): to be shamed in to withdrawing something which reflected bad on yourself

Offside_Rule (Antrim) - Posts: 3800 - 15/12/2018 14:13:14    2154353

Link

Think a county that permits new clubs to be built on top of existing ones lacks serious common sense.
Noticing an awful lot of ego in Antrim this past five or so years. No wonder the issues with casement arose. Only in Dantrim

Rules_man (Armagh) - Posts: 151 - 25/12/2018 20:17:54    2155118

Link