Kerry Forum

Tommy Walsh, The Return Pt 2

(Oldest Posts First)

Tommy has to my mind had a great season with K O'R and should now be strongly considered for inclusion on the Kerry panel for 2018/19 , granted he may not want to come back or some may think that his time has passed. Any thoughts ?

locky76 (Dublin) - Posts: 5 - 12/10/2018 15:07:16    2146241

Link

No offense but that ship has well sailed - the pace isn't there he was living on force a decade ago, the game has now evolved to big men that can move, he unfort can't and if you want him him in full stride he is carrying leg, he's not moving freely.

He'll play well Sunday as he's a better player than Mike Moloney but I can see Crokes starting Alan Sullivan inside to counter act. But no in a word that would be a move backwards - we have amble forwards it's the keeper, centre spine and midfielders we need

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 3761 - 12/10/2018 18:47:11    2146279

Link

In Geaney and Clifford kerry already have two credible aerial threats in the inside line, our problems lie elsewhere so I don't see what bringing Tommy back would solve regardless of how good he is playing.

It's a pity how things went for him with that injury, you'd have to wonder what might have been if he had stayed at home and stayed healthy.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1083 - 13/10/2018 17:15:44    2146372

Link

Speaking of oz, K'boy is Mark O'Conner togging out today?

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 3761 - 14/10/2018 11:27:29    2146429

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Speaking of oz, K'boy is Mark O'Conner togging out today?"
There is a strong roumor that he's not horse :-(

I hope it's only a roumor though, if he's playing then I'd give us a 50/50 chance against east Kerry.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 8437 - 14/10/2018 11:54:32    2146431

Link

Roumor was true horse, the ref rode us to death today, can't see us beating them next week.

Clifford and Paul Geaney are the two best forwards in the country.

Young mush scored two nice goals for KOR today as well, boy can he move,
Johnny Buckley should have been gone on a straight red early on, also gooch should have been a straight red.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 8437 - 14/10/2018 17:36:56    2146466

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Roumor was true horse, the ref rode us to death today, can't see us beating them next week.

Clifford and Paul Geaney are the two best forwards in the country.

Young mush scored two nice goals for KOR today as well, boy can he move,
Johnny Buckley should have been gone on a straight red early on, also gooch should have been a straight red."
What did Gooch do?

Aibrean (Kerry) - Posts: 19 - 15/10/2018 20:35:09    2146685

Link

Listening and reading all correspondence from the ratification and subsequent interview it would appear that Peter Keane has made quite the first impression, picking in my opinion the perfect backroom team, being open to reversing the closed gates policy at different stages of the year, admiting to being unhappy at the process by which the captain is chosen, the new minor option of choosing is more beneficial in my opinion. His handling of the 5 in a row questions and opinion of same but no to me he appears the wolf in sheeps clothing and i mean that with the greatest of respect. I think he is all smiles and graces but one ruthless MF behind the dressing room door, one does not be a successful coach or business man by being the nice man 24/7 - he was my first choice but man has my estimation gone up a notch or two,

Most of ye will know from reading my posts over the years how high I hold Tommy Griffin as a footballing person - I just am so looking forward to next year already, I am surprised though that we will not be entering the McGrath Cup, that was confirmed in the press conference

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 3761 - 15/10/2018 20:39:01    2146686

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Listening and reading all correspondence from the ratification and subsequent interview it would appear that Peter Keane has made quite the first impression, picking in my opinion the perfect backroom team, being open to reversing the closed gates policy at different stages of the year, admiting to being unhappy at the process by which the captain is chosen, the new minor option of choosing is more beneficial in my opinion. His handling of the 5 in a row questions and opinion of same but no to me he appears the wolf in sheeps clothing and i mean that with the greatest of respect. I think he is all smiles and graces but one ruthless MF behind the dressing room door, one does not be a successful coach or business man by being the nice man 24/7 - he was my first choice but man has my estimation gone up a notch or two,

Most of ye will know from reading my posts over the years how high I hold Tommy Griffin as a footballing person - I just am so looking forward to next year already, I am surprised though that we will not be entering the McGrath Cup, that was confirmed in the press conference"
Ya he was my number 1 as well horse, hands down best man we had.

If you watch Clifford's speech at the home coming in fossa last year you'll hear him say how Peter Keane scared the shit out of him .

That's what you want, you don't want the coach to be your buddy you want him to make the hard decisions and be ruthless about it.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 8437 - 15/10/2018 22:44:23    2146714

Link

Ya think we have that on spades but ya forgot that comment by Clifford- if someone of Clifford stature is scared of Peter well then thsts all the answers o need

I see Darren has walked away - to be expected

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 3761 - 16/10/2018 10:23:21    2146749

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Ya think we have that on spades but ya forgot that comment by Clifford- if someone of Clifford stature is scared of Peter well then thsts all the answers o need

I see Darren has walked away - to be expected"
Ya it's the right decision by darran in fairness, his speed was gone and that's all he had really. But fair play to him, he got to captain our county to an allireland in 2009 and his goal against Armagh in 06 was class,

He got a lovely soccer goal against limerick in the quarterfinal in 2011 as well.

Seriously injury prone as well.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 8437 - 16/10/2018 12:04:07    2146766

Link

Hi K'boy i see your club man got a slap on the wrist for playing against stacks

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 3761 - 16/10/2018 16:09:17    2146822

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Ya it's the right decision by darran in fairness, his speed was gone and that's all he had really. But fair play to him, he got to captain our county to an allireland in 2009 and his goal against Armagh in 06 was class,

He got a lovely soccer goal against limerick in the quarterfinal in 2011 as well.

Seriously injury prone as well."
To say all he had was speed is a bit incorrect i think. Darran had a high goal scoring record for us and while he may not have been the most accurate point scorer i felt his distribution of the ball was underrated and was always a constant danger to many a defense.

I think he would have gotten player of the year in 2011 had we beaten the dubs and has provided us with countless memorable moments throughout his long career with Kerry. His performance in the 04 minor final and that goal against Armagh in 06 are the standout moments for me.

In the last 6 or 7 years I think he wasn't utilized fully and very unlucky not to have seen more game time especially considering some of much lesser players playing consistently IMO. He was injury prone but i still dont think we used him as well as we could have.

Wish him all the best in his retirement and it is the right time to walk away. Exciting times ahead now looking forward to next year, will be interesting to say the least how it will unfold.

KY4SAM2015 (Kerry) - Posts: 757 - 16/10/2018 18:02:22    2146845

Link

Started a new thread on darran before I clicked in to this one. We are going to have our youngest panel in a long long time next year.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1083 - 16/10/2018 19:43:56    2146864

Link

Killian is the only link left now

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 3761 - 16/10/2018 20:15:03    2146869

Link

Replying To KY4SAM2015:  "To say all he had was speed is a bit incorrect i think. Darran had a high goal scoring record for us and while he may not have been the most accurate point scorer i felt his distribution of the ball was underrated and was always a constant danger to many a defense.

I think he would have gotten player of the year in 2011 had we beaten the dubs and has provided us with countless memorable moments throughout his long career with Kerry. His performance in the 04 minor final and that goal against Armagh in 06 are the standout moments for me.

In the last 6 or 7 years I think he wasn't utilized fully and very unlucky not to have seen more game time especially considering some of much lesser players playing consistently IMO. He was injury prone but i still dont think we used him as well as we could have.

Wish him all the best in his retirement and it is the right time to walk away. Exciting times ahead now looking forward to next year, will be interesting to say the least how it will unfold."
Jays darran drove me mad, he'd burst through into great positions and hammer the ball as hard as he could and the ball could end up anywhere, he had no composure what so ever and I honestly thought donnacha was a better finisher than him.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 8437 - 16/10/2018 22:45:27    2146894

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Hi K'boy i see your club man got a slap on the wrist for playing against stacks"
He did horse but sure geelong own him so they get to call the shots unfortunately.

He's a monumental loss to us .

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 8437 - 16/10/2018 22:48:32    2146895

Link