Wexford Forum

Wexford Football 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To icehonesty:  "Anyone at that meeting last night?"
yes , very worth while, well chaired by liam fardy who only allowed it to go on for an hour so there was no epic political speeches, , no problems were solved [or could they be], the aim first is to ldentify the problems and to see what can be done, this is going to be a major undertaking and will take some clear thinking and planning
there will be another meeting shortly where we will hear from anthony masterson , about the problems he faces and hear ways he needs help, i for one was impressed , its a start and a low key one but one i can see graining momentem

Stmunnsriver (Wexford) - Posts: 1621 - 13/03/2019 14:33:43    2172051

Link

What was the turnout like lads?

icehonesty (Wexford) - Posts: 2300 - 13/03/2019 16:09:09    2172067

Link

I think the scale of the challenge is illustrated by the number of predominantly-hurling clubs that have won the senior football title in recent years. We need to see our football-focused clubs back winning and driving the standard in the county and a good starting point would be if they could collectively organise and lobby for a "Football 365" scheme to replicate the success hurling has had in national schools recently. In Castletown they play "Pella", an indoor version of Gaelic football which can be played as five a side game, indoors on an all weather pitch, and this could be rolled out around the county to schools and clubs to rebuild a generation of kids with a genuine passion for football.

We also need to see all of the top players who are not committed to the hurling squad making themselves available for the football team as, at the moment, that's definitely not the case. Looking at the report from last year's county Convention, it's clear that we spend nearly as much on football as on hurling but the rate of return is much lower. Also, it's easy to point fingers elsewhere but when 278 attended the recent Waterford football game and 5,600 turned out for the Kilkenny match in horrific weather we have to ask WHY won't Wexford people cross the road to cheer on their county football team?

UncleJunior (Wexford) - Posts: 14 - 13/03/2019 17:11:59    2172079

Link

Replying To UncleJunior:  "I think the scale of the challenge is illustrated by the number of predominantly-hurling clubs that have won the senior football title in recent years. We need to see our football-focused clubs back winning and driving the standard in the county and a good starting point would be if they could collectively organise and lobby for a "Football 365" scheme to replicate the success hurling has had in national schools recently. In Castletown they play "Pella", an indoor version of Gaelic football which can be played as five a side game, indoors on an all weather pitch, and this could be rolled out around the county to schools and clubs to rebuild a generation of kids with a genuine passion for football.

We also need to see all of the top players who are not committed to the hurling squad making themselves available for the football team as, at the moment, that's definitely not the case. Looking at the report from last year's county Convention, it's clear that we spend nearly as much on football as on hurling but the rate of return is much lower. Also, it's easy to point fingers elsewhere but when 278 attended the recent Waterford football game and 5,600 turned out for the Kilkenny match in horrific weather we have to ask WHY won't Wexford people cross the road to cheer on their county football team?"
Would running GAA 365 not be the way forward. Only 30-35 players will ever be on the senior hurling panel there will be a lot of hurling 365 students sitting around all summer with nothing to do except play soccer.

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1001 - 14/03/2019 09:15:52    2172171

Link

Replying To hurlorhurley:  "Would running GAA 365 not be the way forward. Only 30-35 players will ever be on the senior hurling panel there will be a lot of hurling 365 students sitting around all summer with nothing to do except play soccer."
our school has the Hurling 365 and while they would play hurling a lot, they also do football training at it. We'd be considered a predominantly football club, but not doing well in either code, so just having any sort of GAA in the school is a good thing. Its up to the clubs doing these really, no one is forcing them to do hurling only, even if the inception is a hurling based idea. Clubs need to be clever about these things and do work themselves. County board cant always be there to hold their hands, and I say that as a club who has seriously messed up things over the past few years.

james2011 (Wexford) - Posts: 427 - 14/03/2019 11:25:12    2172195

Link

Replying To icehonesty:  "What was the turnout like lads?"
18-20 people

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1001 - 14/03/2019 11:31:56    2172197

Link

I assume our current county senior and underage managements were at the meeting? And a few former players, etc?

icehonesty (Wexford) - Posts: 2300 - 14/03/2019 18:30:27    2172251

Link

Replying To icehonesty:  "I assume our current county senior and underage managements were at the meeting? And a few former players, etc?"
why would they be there? think u totally misunderstand what the meeting was about, it was not to judge the current senior or underage managements

Stmunnsriver (Wexford) - Posts: 1621 - 14/03/2019 20:41:10    2172277

Link

It's to discuss the future of Wexford football I thought? Would those guys I asked about not be interested in a meeting talking about the future of Wexford football, no?

icehonesty (Wexford) - Posts: 2300 - 15/03/2019 07:49:05    2172323

Link

so none of you,who have been vocal critics of how football is run in wexford for years on here,went to this?

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3187 - 17/03/2019 08:23:29    2172921

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "so none of you,who have been vocal critics of how football is run in wexford for years on here,went to this?"
From what I heard there was very few at the meeting under 60 years of age and half of them had done nothing to even promote football in their clubs in last ten years.

Interesting news this morning on Twitter this morning that Colin Kelly has joined the senior backroom team.

Groundball (Wexford) - Posts: 68 - 17/03/2019 10:26:51    2172956

Link

regarding the senior team its shocking how few players he has tried out in league, i know he trying to pick up wins to try save his job, but once promotion was gone ud think he woul be giving more of the young lads game time, the worst part of it now after last 2 wins the co board can ignore the problem [him] again

Stmunnsriver (Wexford) - Posts: 1621 - 17/03/2019 10:39:18    2172961

Link

at least they were there unlike many of the vocal critics on here.i heard a similar from a customer,it shows you how many people are armchair critics instead of doing anything

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3187 - 17/03/2019 14:16:16    2173042

Link

We get it Perfect10. You work weekends. But surely you can understand that others do so as well. I have missed every game so far this year due to work commitments, but can still gauge what's going on by, you know, word from trusted sources.

beano (Wexford) - Posts: 305 - 18/03/2019 11:56:21    2173362

Link

Colin Kelly was a very good manager for Louth. Brought them from Division 4 to Division 2 with consecutive promotions. Plays a fairly defensive brand of football. It is a good move, but by bringing in an experienced manager to take training twice a week from now on, you'd have to wonder what exactly it is the guy in charge does. I'd like to see Colin Kelly in the job. That Louth team is a hard crowd to handle (he left once they got to Division 2 and then they didn't take to Pete McGrath at all) and he got them consecutive promotions.

icehonesty (Wexford) - Posts: 2300 - 19/03/2019 08:03:20    2173594

Link

Replying To Stmunnsriver:  "regarding the senior team its shocking how few players he has tried out in league, i know he trying to pick up wins to try save his job, but once promotion was gone ud think he woul be giving more of the young lads game time, the worst part of it now after last 2 wins the co board can ignore the problem [him
again"]Bit of a sweeping assumption statement. How many players have Wexford used during the league and how many of the players used made their league debuts in 2019?

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1001 - 19/03/2019 12:17:35    2173663

Link

Although nothing much to play for against Derry this weekend, would be a little boost to get a win. All ready promoted they will probably play with a second string side. However it would be good preparation for the championship against Louth.

Blockandhook (Wexford) - Posts: 106 - 21/03/2019 14:06:55    2174195

Link