Wexford Forum

Wexford Football 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

No doubt the Hurling has been much improved over the past few years since Davy came in and the football has suffered as a result. However, I do see this changing a little over the next few years. Hurling will always be number 1 with the fan base but I wouldnt be surprised to see a few hurlers give the football a go in the coming years.

The next football manager is a key appointment. Get that right and with the young squad that is there, there is a potential for big improvements. Couple this with the fact that Davy might step away from the hurling, after 3 years of that camp, some guys might feel like giving the football a go (if the correct setup is in place).

A spirited performance last Sunday but probably let down by some of the tactics and our overall physical conditioning. Hard to know about the qualifiers, you'd almost wonder what's the point? A bit of a run would be great but its hard to imagine

Hannspree12 (Wexford) - Posts: 1 - 14/05/2019 13:00:00    2183954

Link

Replying To 1798man:  "Was a good performance by the lads on Sunday. There was a stiff breeze which shortened the distance we could get on kickouts in second half and this allowed Louth to push right up on us. Was disappointed that we seemed to have no other out ball from them once daithi started struggling. Also how clinical Louth were kicking the last 7 or 8 scores really showed their difference from a struggling division four team.

Attendance was extremely disappointing but I think the loss of star players from 5 to 10 years ago coupled with a rise in the hurling fortunes and the change in structure probably has led people to forego the football in recent times. The biggest problem I see at the moment though is you have players like chin, o'donoghue, breen and I think one of the firmans all having being part of the football panel in recent years now on the hurling panel. And that's ignoring o'hanlon and McGovern who were on the u21 team that won Leinster and Rory O'Connor who was key to peters getting to an all Ireland final a few years ago. That's just seven players who would greatly increase the strength of our panel if focussing on football."
Agreed on all of those players but thats still not a reason for the complete fall off a cliff of the support in the county.

In fact if anything that fact alone should make football people and more importantly GAA people work even harder to make sure there is a greater talent pool available for football in the county. There is some fantastic work being done in the county at the moment for hurling and its about time the same was done for football.

There is some positive green shoots from Anthony Masterson and the coaching office. The work being done on the ground by all the GPO's in clubs will have to come to benefit also. It's a fantastic model to have a coach working on the ground for each club, at the end of the day its up to each club what sports they want to play but having 50/50 in most clubs is what football needs at least. Both sport should support each other in terms of numbers. The transfer of skills and physical movements in both games are identical so having both can only benefit each other.

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1056 - 14/05/2019 13:28:49    2183966

Link

Replying To 1798man:  "Was a good performance by the lads on Sunday. There was a stiff breeze which shortened the distance we could get on kickouts in second half and this allowed Louth to push right up on us. Was disappointed that we seemed to have no other out ball from them once daithi started struggling. Also how clinical Louth were kicking the last 7 or 8 scores really showed their difference from a struggling division four team.

Attendance was extremely disappointing but I think the loss of star players from 5 to 10 years ago coupled with a rise in the hurling fortunes and the change in structure probably has led people to forego the football in recent times. The biggest problem I see at the moment though is you have players like chin, o'donoghue, breen and I think one of the firmans all having being part of the football panel in recent years now on the hurling panel. And that's ignoring o'hanlon and McGovern who were on the u21 team that won Leinster and Rory O'Connor who was key to peters getting to an all Ireland final a few years ago. That's just seven players who would greatly increase the strength of our panel if focussing on football."
What you say 1798 man is correct. Unfortunately its just not possible to have duel players nowadays. The Hurlers are stretched to the limit with training and matches. It's a pity but that's the way it is. Being stuck in the 4th tier doesn't attract lads to play for their county. The current panel have good players and are dedicated to the cause but unless we win promotion next year I fear there will be further erosion.

Blockandhook (Wexford) - Posts: 146 - 14/05/2019 13:35:01    2183970

Link

no point complaining now about how football is treated,there was a meeting a month ago organised by liam fardy and not 1 of ye went.
football is in a malaise all across the country not just wexford.the games arent entertaining for the most part and expecting people to part with their hard earned money isnt easy with other competing interests outside gaa.
parnell park wont be full on sunday and once upon a time wexford brought 15k on their own.
i have also long argued that if you buy a season ticket for hurling or football in any county you should get the other code half price,it just encourages the people to support the ring and maher cup teams too,i have said this to many co board officials who call in.
the co teams are the clubs,is the work in the clubs good enough?in both codes?
people have interests beyond gaa too though.its just the way it is.unlike the olden days,life is not mass,fianna fail and gaa

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3245 - 14/05/2019 14:36:35    2183990

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "no point complaining now about how football is treated,there was a meeting a month ago organised by liam fardy and not 1 of ye went.
football is in a malaise all across the country not just wexford.the games arent entertaining for the most part and expecting people to part with their hard earned money isnt easy with other competing interests outside gaa.
parnell park wont be full on sunday and once upon a time wexford brought 15k on their own.
i have also long argued that if you buy a season ticket for hurling or football in any county you should get the other code half price,it just encourages the people to support the ring and maher cup teams too,i have said this to many co board officials who call in.
the co teams are the clubs,is the work in the clubs good enough?in both codes?
people have interests beyond gaa too though.its just the way it is.unlike the olden days,life is not mass,fianna fail and gaa"
I don't see how going to a meeting organised by anyone outside of the county board will do anything to help as in your own club and in the county board structure is the place to voice for change. A meeting organised by a member of the public can do nothing only come up with suggestions for clubs to bring to county board.

I found the game in Wexford Park last Sunday very entertaining, although I will admit the charge of €25 on the day for a stand ticket is lunacy and driving people away.

I am going to try go to watch as many live games as I can in different counties in both hurling and football this season in the championship. I'm fed up listening and watching garbage punditry on RTE. Every hurling game is he greatest game on the planet despite the amount of frees being scored in some games. When you see goalkeepers scoring 4-5 points a game from frees just outside the 21 it makes me wonder should we make the sliothar a bit heavier. I would be interested to see how long the ball is actually in play in a game of hurling. I'd suspect the ball is actually in play a lot more in football because its harder to score in football. The football pundits on RTE make every football game played out to be a bore fest regardless how good or bad a game it is. Thats why getting out and watching the games live lets me make up my own mind.

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1056 - 14/05/2019 15:01:20    2184000

Link

Replying To hurlorhurley:  "I don't see how going to a meeting organised by anyone outside of the county board will do anything to help as in your own club and in the county board structure is the place to voice for change. A meeting organised by a member of the public can do nothing only come up with suggestions for clubs to bring to county board.

I found the game in Wexford Park last Sunday very entertaining, although I will admit the charge of €25 on the day for a stand ticket is lunacy and driving people away.

I am going to try go to watch as many live games as I can in different counties in both hurling and football this season in the championship. I'm fed up listening and watching garbage punditry on RTE. Every hurling game is he greatest game on the planet despite the amount of frees being scored in some games. When you see goalkeepers scoring 4-5 points a game from frees just outside the 21 it makes me wonder should we make the sliothar a bit heavier. I would be interested to see how long the ball is actually in play in a game of hurling. I'd suspect the ball is actually in play a lot more in football because its harder to score in football. The football pundits on RTE make every football game played out to be a bore fest regardless how good or bad a game it is. Thats why getting out and watching the games live lets me make up my own mind."
hurlorhurley (Wexford)

Your dead right pal, if you can afford to take in a few games its well worth attending the matches. Rte commentary is awful and sky not much better.

logger (Wexford) - Posts: 139 - 14/05/2019 15:44:15    2184025

Link

I don't see how going to a meeting organised by anyone outside of the county board will do anything to help as in your own club and in the county board structure is the place to voice for change. A meeting organised by a member of the public can do nothing only come up with suggestions for clubs to bring to county board.

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1046 - 14/05/2019 15:01:20

i wouldnt agree,some of the most experienced and knowledgeable people,with a lot of experience of football in wexford,and with the interest of the game at heart,can cause change.ideas discussed in a forum like this are talked through before being brought to co board.if there was 300 people of all ages at that meeting the co board cant ignore.a crowd of pensioners in a room screams apathy.if the alternative is a mis mash of ideas from every club agm,i know what i think is a more credible forum

25 in to the football?mother of god.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3245 - 14/05/2019 22:02:02    2184149

Link

Replying To hurlorhurley:  "I don't see how going to a meeting organised by anyone outside of the county board will do anything to help as in your own club and in the county board structure is the place to voice for change. A meeting organised by a member of the public can do nothing only come up with suggestions for clubs to bring to county board.

I am going to try go to watch as many live games as I can in different counties in both hurling and football this season in the championship. I'm fed up listening and watching garbage punditry on RTE. Every hurling game is he greatest game on the planet despite the amount of frees being scored in some games. When you see goalkeepers scoring 4-5 points a game from frees just outside the 21 it makes me wonder should we make the sliothar a bit heavier. I would be interested to see how long the ball is actually in play in a game of hurling. I'd suspect the ball is actually in play a lot more in football because its harder to score in football. The football pundits on RTE make every football game played out to be a bore fest regardless how good or bad a game it is. Thats why getting out and watching the games live lets me make up my own mind."
15 euro was the price to watch Wexford play, not 25

Lockerroomboy (Wexford) - Posts: 25 - 15/05/2019 09:03:06    2184213

Link

Replying To Lockerroomboy:  "15 euro was the price to watch Wexford play, not 25"
It was 25 E on the day of match for the stand. 20 E if purchased in advance at supervalu.

Blockandhook (Wexford) - Posts: 146 - 15/05/2019 09:49:21    2184232

Link

Replying To Lockerroomboy:  "15 euro was the price to watch Wexford play, not 25"
Stand tickets were €20 if bought in advance on the day it was €25 to get into the stand.

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1056 - 15/05/2019 09:58:41    2184238

Link

Replying To hurlorhurley:  "Stand tickets were €20 if bought in advance on the day it was €25 to get into the stand."
15 euro for uncovered seating bought in advance, forecast was good so why would people pay 25euro and complain, 15 euro for a championship is very reasonable

Lockerroomboy (Wexford) - Posts: 25 - 15/05/2019 12:54:28    2184284

Link

Replying To Lockerroomboy:  "15 euro for uncovered seating bought in advance, forecast was good so why would people pay 25euro and complain, 15 euro for a championship is very reasonable"
Seems silly to have an extra fiver to turn the walk-up crowd off.
I get that the GAA don't want a huge crowd turning up at the gate, but surely they should think about what match will have a huge walk-up crowd and which wont?

StoreysTash (Wexford) - Posts: 261 - 17/05/2019 12:02:46    2184876

Link