Wexford Forum

Wexford Hurling 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Instead of going over the obvious faults of the team, let's try suggest possible solutions. I firmly believe that the spine need to be strengthened. Maybe if Chin went centre back it would add significant speed to our snail like half back line. With Ryan at full back, obviously and Rory at centre forward and of course Mac full forward. Dunbar will be a lot better on a firmer sod and Casey should take the frees. The corner backs are a problem. I think D Reck would be a good choice in the half back position and his brother Shane with Firman flanking Ryan. Just a few thoughts lads. I'm sure a lot of you will have your own ideas. If so, let's hear them.

Blockandhook (Wexford) - Posts: 104 - 17/03/2019 13:47:17    2173026

Link

Replying To Blockandhook:  "Instead of going over the obvious faults of the team, let's try suggest possible solutions. I firmly believe that the spine need to be strengthened. Maybe if Chin went centre back it would add significant speed to our snail like half back line. With Ryan at full back, obviously and Rory at centre forward and of course Mac full forward. Dunbar will be a lot better on a firmer sod and Casey should take the frees. The corner backs are a problem. I think D Reck would be a good choice in the half back position and his brother Shane with Firman flanking Ryan. Just a few thoughts lads. I'm sure a lot of you will have your own ideas. If so, let's hear them."
My idea of the team based on the league is:

Fanning
Shane Reck, Liam Ryan, Darren Byrne
Kevin Foley
Damien Reck, Padraig Foley, Diarmuid O Keefe
Lee Chin, Aidan Nolan
Rory O Connor, Liam McGovern, Seamus Casey
Cathal Dunbar, Conor McDonald

That would leave a bench of: Martin, Donohoe, Murphy, o Hanlon, firman, Byrne, J O Connor, P Morris, H Kehoe, and whoever else.

I am disappointed that we have reached the end of the league and didn't try O Hanlon at centre forward, because he is totally bet as a defender.

890202 (Wexford) - Posts: 1049 - 17/03/2019 14:15:09    2173041

Link

Talk of chin to centre back is ridiculous he doesn't have any defensive instincts for that position in my opinion. Midfield or half forward line all day long. For the Dublin game there half back line is there strongest area so it's vital we compete there i'd but him on Chris crummey ( target there strengths) .

For that game i'd go for a midfield of O'Keeffe & nolan, half forward line of chin, Rory and liam og with dunbar and McDonald inside. Defence I'm not sure exactly how to go alot depends on who Dublin line up. If keaney is back O'Hanlon is ideal for him like walter walsh last week. Who goes on Sutcliffe? Paudie Foley played well on him last year but a lack of pace in the half back line is an ongoing concern.

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 1300 - 17/03/2019 16:05:08    2173081

Link

Martin
S Reck L Ryan C Firman
k Foley
P Foley L Chinn S Murphy
D Reck R Oconnor
J Oconnor C Dunbar P Morris
C McDonald S Casey

I would leave fanning out just because of his antics in the goal. If i was an umpire id give a 50 50 against him every time because he shouts and roars at them every time ref blows the whistle.

Full back line is kinda tricky but as long as Donohue aint there id take anything. Im deadly serious when i say he wouldn't even make st martins team.

Half backline with slowest intercounty hurler in the country just wont work. Id have em work on weight and speed and take a look again next year. Id switch chin with D Reck if it went tits up.

Rory and Damien would run rings around most midfielders i dunno why it havent been tried. Id imagine poor Damien is suffering from our lack of strength in defence and because a that we dont get to see what he has going forward. Rory could play anywhere from midfield forward and be outstanding.

Id have jack and morris there for puckouts with Dunbar using pace to run at defenders. Id have aiden nolan and liam og on standby doe and make quick changes if it wasnt going well.

I would have strict instructions to all forwards to try and drag the full back lind around and get mac isolated at edge of the square with casey getting on any breaking ball while also doing the running. Id have him and Dunbar swap and change throughout match. Let casey take frees even if he misses a few stay with it. Last year rorys frees against dublin kept us in the championship. These are young lads and need time.

Waltermitty2 (Wexford) - Posts: 31 - 17/03/2019 16:09:02    2173087

Link

Replying To Waltermitty2:  "Martin
S Reck L Ryan C Firman
k Foley
P Foley L Chinn S Murphy
D Reck R Oconnor
C McDonald S Casey

I would leave fanning out just because of his antics in the goal. If i was an umpire id give a 50 50 against him every time because he shouts and roars at them every time ref blows the whistle.

Full back line is kinda tricky but as long as Donohue aint there id take anything. Im deadly serious when i say he wouldn't even make st martins team.

Half backline with slowest intercounty hurler in the country just wont work. Id have em work on weight and speed and take a look again next year. Id switch chin with D Reck if it went tits up.

Rory and Damien would run rings around most midfielders i dunno why it havent been tried. Id imagine poor Damien is suffering from our lack of strength in defence and because a that we dont get to see what he has going forward. Rory could play anywhere from midfield forward and be outstanding.

Id have jack and morris there for puckouts with Dunbar using pace to run at defenders. Id have aiden nolan and liam og on standby doe and make quick changes if it wasnt going well.

I would have strict instructions to all forwards to try and drag the full back lind around and get mac isolated at edge of the square with casey getting on any breaking ball while also doing the running. Id have him and Dunbar swap and change throughout match. Let casey take frees even if he misses a few stay with it. Last year rorys frees against dublin kept us in the championship. These are young lads and need time."
Amazing that you have 3/4 of them ahead of o Keefe

890202 (Wexford) - Posts: 1049 - 17/03/2019 16:38:25    2173093

Link

Replying To Waltermitty2:  "Martin
S Reck L Ryan C Firman
k Foley
P Foley L Chinn S Murphy
D Reck R Oconnor
C McDonald S Casey

I would have strict instructions to all forwards to try and drag the full back lind around and get mac isolated at edge of the square with casey getting on any breaking ball while also doing the running. Id have him and Dunbar swap and change throughout match. Let casey take frees even if he misses a few stay with it. Last year rorys frees against dublin kept us in the championship. These are young lads and need time."
I'd rate fanning alot more than martin as a goalkeeper even though I'd have great time for martin for his commitment etc.

That half forward line would get wiped out against dublin in my view.

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 1300 - 17/03/2019 16:41:49    2173094

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "I'd rate fanning alot more than martin as a goalkeeper even though I'd have great time for martin for his commitment etc.

That half forward line would get wiped out against dublin in my view."
Ideally id have joc roc chin as half forwards and mac full forward with Dunbar and casey either side but our severe lack of hurling in the defence means we play a sweeper and it gives boys up front a really hard time because they are out numbered by proper hurling backs unlike what we have.

Waltermitty2 (Wexford) - Posts: 31 - 17/03/2019 17:55:52    2173146

Link

A lot of noise about S Casey and understandably so. Debut vs Tipp scores 1 -1 from play then is never heard of again. Which other of our forwards have scored that in a game???

I feel others were given lots of chances - he got one - aced it and then disappeared.

I feel people are being too hard on Hanlon who played well against Kilkenny and assisted 2 goals yesterday - giving two great balls to Mac.

Yellow (Wexford) - Posts: 164 - 17/03/2019 19:18:49    2173177

Link

Replying To Yellow:  "A lot of noise about S Casey and understandably so. Debut vs Tipp scores 1 -1 from play then is never heard of again. Which other of our forwards have scored that in a game???

I feel others were given lots of chances - he got one - aced it and then disappeared.

I feel people are being too hard on Hanlon who played well against Kilkenny and assisted 2 goals yesterday - giving two great balls to Mac."
I think Casey was injured yesterday. He's a good prospect but I don't think he's ready. It took Dunbar a year to reach the level of being able to perform at senior.

I agree re Hanlon. Was good against Kilkenny and wasn't bad yesterday. Canning did the damage from frees. Canning was lucky to stay on the field after what he did to Reck off the ball. A dirty strike.

Groundball (Wexford) - Posts: 68 - 17/03/2019 20:20:05    2173201

Link

Replying To Groundball:  "I think Casey was injured yesterday. He's a good prospect but I don't think he's ready. It took Dunbar a year to reach the level of being able to perform at senior.

I agree re Hanlon. Was good against Kilkenny and wasn't bad yesterday. Canning did the damage from frees. Canning was lucky to stay on the field after what he did to Reck off the ball. A dirty strike."
O Hanlon wasn't bad you reckon? How many frees did he concede? How many times did he give the ball away? And canning did a lot more damage than just score frees.

890202 (Wexford) - Posts: 1049 - 17/03/2019 22:56:18    2173271

Link

Replying To Groundball:  "I think Casey was injured yesterday. He's a good prospect but I don't think he's ready. It took Dunbar a year to reach the level of being able to perform at senior.

I agree re Hanlon. Was good against Kilkenny and wasn't bad yesterday. Canning did the damage from frees. Canning was lucky to stay on the field after what he did to Reck off the ball. A dirty strike."
Just had a look over the 11 scorable frees we conceded in the 1st half(10 points and 1 saved shot a goal)
- 4 were very debatable
-another 2 never a free and in 1 case should have been a free out for barging
- 5 were definitely fouls but in 1 of those a blatant foul against Conor mac was not given 5 seconds before it
- O'Hanlon didn't concede any of the 11 frees so anyone used that argument is talking nonsense

Agree that the criticism of O'Hanlon is over the top, he had 3 very good displays against tipp, clare and kilkenny only blemish conceding the penalty against clare. Wouldn't say canning who is the best hurler in the country cleaned him out on Saturday. He actually spent alot of time is his defence chasing O'Hanlon. What did he do to reck? Just watched the game on tv myself could see a roar from the crowd to an off the ball incident 2 or 3 mins in and a few of the wexford players looked unhappy. That referee was never going to send him off, hopefully the referee for the game in May has more character and moral courage than that. Think galway have become an on the edge team sense donoghue took over no harm in it overall but they got away with 3 or 4 straight red card incidents in last years championship so there walking a tight rope.

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 1300 - 18/03/2019 01:40:01    2173293

Link

Replying To 890202:  "O Hanlon wasn't bad you reckon? How many frees did he concede? How many times did he give the ball away? And canning did a lot more damage than just score frees."
I thought the jeering from the Galway supporters yesterday especially in the 2nd half was disgusting,anytime Wexford had a free you could here it,worse than a soccer match...

Tox73 (Wexford) - Posts: 96 - 18/03/2019 02:12:14    2173294

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "Just had a look over the 11 scorable frees we conceded in the 1st half(10 points and 1 saved shot a goal)
- 4 were very debatable
-another 2 never a free and in 1 case should have been a free out for barging
- 5 were definitely fouls but in 1 of those a blatant foul against Conor mac was not given 5 seconds before it
- O'Hanlon didn't concede any of the 11 frees so anyone used that argument is talking nonsense

Agree that the criticism of O'Hanlon is over the top, he had 3 very good displays against tipp, clare and kilkenny only blemish conceding the penalty against clare. Wouldn't say canning who is the best hurler in the country cleaned him out on Saturday. He actually spent alot of time is his defence chasing O'Hanlon. What did he do to reck? Just watched the game on tv myself could see a roar from the crowd to an off the ball incident 2 or 3 mins in and a few of the wexford players looked unhappy. That referee was never going to send him off, hopefully the referee for the game in May has more character and moral courage than that. Think galway have become an on the edge team sense donoghue took over no harm in it overall but they got away with 3 or 4 straight red card incidents in last years championship so there walking a tight rope."
A good analysis. I think most people trot out the same line about MOH.

The referee was actually scandalous on Saturday. Our second half collapse just covered it up.

Groundball (Wexford) - Posts: 68 - 18/03/2019 09:00:17    2173314

Link

It was obvious from the Wexford v Limerick game that there was only team in the gym over Winter. The fact that Limerick had done little or no hurling didn't matter. Galway bullied Wexford again on Saturday. They've done that in the important games against Wexford in the last few years. They know if they rough Wexford up they can't live with them. And as those games proved they are 9 points a better team than Wexford. The question has to be asked: What training program and diet/nutrition plan were Wexford given outside county training over the Winter months? Did they stick to it away from the scrutiny of management or when other teams were lifting weights and eating sensibly were our lads lifting pizza boxes, chip cartons and beer glasses?

We can talk a forever about how hard lads are working in training but the fact is other counties are working smarter not harder. TJ Reid has been training since January of last year. He has the balance right and had his reward yesterday with his club. Who would bet against him being hurler of the year in 2019? What a difference himself and the other Ballyhale lads will bring to Kilkenny!

Wexford can moan all they like about free counts but discipline is another thing. Is Davy Fitzgerald's hatred of defeat being transmitted to the team in the form of over fouling? Are there players in the Wexford team who are guilty of being persistent foulers and who, because of how well referees know players ways, have become marked men in the eyes of referees in the way for example Liam Dunne was? These are valid and serious questions that have to be asked and addressed before the championship. Otherwise Joe Canning and TJ Reid will have a field day again. A sobering thought on the day after Paddy's day!

Sliotharyslope (Wexford) - Posts: 104 - 18/03/2019 09:00:42    2173315

Link

Let the team get that game out of their systems straight away. The club games should cure that. I'm sure all the lads are hurting a lot right now. Maybe this defeat will be a blessing in disguise. We all have our own views in relation to team selections for the championship, and that's good. Who's right and who's wrong, I don't know. What I do know is that changes will be necessary. We all agree about that. I honestly believe that we can be a force in the months to come. We can mix it with the best of them on a given day but consistency might be our Achillis heel. Should he play Chin at centre back? I think he might be tempted. O Hanlon at centre forward? Risky but it could work. Would Casey be the answer to our problematic free taking? Probably. If D Reck moved to half back and S Reck and Firman in the corners, how would they fare? Might tighten our somewhat leaky defence. What's the best midfield? Do'keefe and Jacko in my opinion. Is Ian Byrne good enough to start a game? I would risk it. Can we afford to continue with Aiden Nolan? Don't think so. These and other tough questions will have to be addressed in the weeks to come. It will be interesting to see if Davy and company will ring the changes.

Blockandhook (Wexford) - Posts: 104 - 18/03/2019 15:30:58    2173419

Link

Replying To Groundball:  "A good analysis. I think most people trot out the same line about MOH.

The referee was actually scandalous on Saturday. Our second half collapse just covered it up."
That's it exactly our failure to turn up for the 2nd half cost us the game but the referee was the difference between us having a 5 or 6 half point lead rather than 1 point. It's pretty much common knowledge that cork had the referee changed for the 2013 all Ireland final replay after objecting to the initial appointment, if that referee is given any of our championship games I'd like our management or county board to go down that path if possible.

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 1300 - 18/03/2019 17:42:42    2173463

Link

The ref was very poor.We did foul a lot which is madness with Joe Canning capable of scoring from anywhere.At least 4 or 5 were no way frees and as said 1 was a free out and mac was fouled before another 1.But in saying all that our 2nd half was
horrendous.Worst I have seen in a long time mistake after mistake it was so bad I turned it off.
People giving out bout MOH but for me I do not know how JOC and Simon Donohue are even close to making it.

wex82 (Wexford) - Posts: 197 - 18/03/2019 18:10:32    2173471

Link