Fermanagh Forum

U21 Championship Fermanagh v Cavan

(Oldest Posts First)

I plan to go to the match but I wonder is there much chance of Fermanagh beating Cavan. The Herald said they played a friendly against Down and it was a chastening experience so I presume they were well beaten. Down aren't given a chance tonight so that doesn't look great. Only other game of note they have played recently was beating Ekn Gaels 1-07 to 0-04

eamonkeown (Fermanagh) - Posts: 23 - 15/03/2017 15:07:55    1967316

Link

We have to think seriously were Fermanagh. Football is going after that mauling its going nowhere

squareball2 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 191 - 15/03/2017 21:39:04    1967409

Link

That was grim and horrible tonight ... Fermanagh ran out on the field and were met by silence ... at home then Cavan came out to cheers
Fermanagh proceeded to play like guys who had just met tonight and believed every word that was written in the local media that they had little chance. Either we take the competition deadly seriously or withdraw... this thing of blaming pitches I mean come on ... the wind blows and the rain falls in Cavan too I'm sure ...

AnBuachaillGlas (Fermanagh) - Posts: 287 - 15/03/2017 22:28:03    1967423

Link

Ulster U21 Football Championship - Quarter final
Fermanagh 0-4 Cavan 2-19

Fermanagh U21 starting team: Jack Kelly (Derrygonnelly), Ben Daly (Clones), Rory McCaffrey (Tempo), Conor Carney (Enniskillen), Cian McManus (Teemore), Michael Og McGarrigle (Erne Gaels), Danny Leonard (Derrylin), Niall Clarke [1pt](Teemore), Damhan Sanderson (Enniskillen). Keelan Kelly [1pt](Trillick), Connor McAuley [1pt] (Belnaleck), Conor McShea (Enniskillen), James Toye (Brookeboro), David Teague [1pt](Maguiresbridge), Conor McGee (Ederney).
Fielded subs: Lee Jones (Derrygonnelly) on for Conor Carney, Aaron Burke (Derrygonnelly) on for Conor O'Shea, Daire O'Cathain (Kinawley) on for Conor Magee, Michael Jordon (Roslea) on for James Toye, Michael Maguire (Ederney) on for David Teague, James McCaffrey (Derrylin) on for Ben Daly.
Remaining sub bench: T J McMulkin (Irvinestown), Eamon Drumm (Teemore), Tiaran Bogue (Tempo).

I agree with what has already said about Fermanagh's shockingly poor performance tonight. The question is why were they out of their depth? Is the issue just around players or how they were managed?

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1197 - 16/03/2017 00:42:05    1967438

Link

Another year and another limp exit at under 21 level,i had expected Cavan to progress,decent side(wont win it) but the gap between the teams was startling. Just from looking at both teams could identify that one were stronger,fitter and better prepared for the rigours of championship football.

Fermanaghs build up was low key,likely a reason for it,deep down knew what was ahead themselves but nobody envisaged by that much. Every time a Fermanagh got the ball regardless of nearest opposition player they always turned back,fear was evident,along with lack of belief,though was clear that the quality levels just lacking.

Fermanaghs record at under 21 and minor level is so poor over 15 years,its not going to magically get better,hopefully the appointments of Shaun Doc and Eoin Bradley will bring progress with time because at the moment Fermanagh arent competing and to have players coming through to senior having never won a championship game is far from ideal.

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 864 - 16/03/2017 23:39:36    1967727

Link