Fermanagh Forum

Is football about the players or their managers?

(Oldest Posts First)

When you are reading club football reports each week in the local press one can see a clear imbalance in a number of such write ups? From what I can see that certain managers seem to get featured more prominently that the players themselves which essentially make team a success or not. I think the newspapers concerned need to assess the impact on the actual players who volunteer their time to attend training sessions and games and help make the team collectively a success are either not mentioned unless they score or stuck somewhere in such reports that gives them the impression that their contribution is less significant than their manager. I believe headlines about and mugshots of managers is sending out the wrong message as it appears that the game is more about such managers than the massive effort put in by players themselves. So how can this issue be addressed? Is it action by the club committee concerned? Invention by the county board to the newspapers? Or educating such managers to put team players first?

cillnaile. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 951 - 12/08/2016 17:13:55    1900372

Link

Replying To cillnaile.:  "When you are reading club football reports each week in the local press one can see a clear imbalance in a number of such write ups? From what I can see that certain managers seem to get featured more prominently that the players themselves which essentially make team a success or not. I think the newspapers concerned need to assess the impact on the actual players who volunteer their time to attend training sessions and games and help make the team collectively a success are either not mentioned unless they score or stuck somewhere in such reports that gives them the impression that their contribution is less significant than their manager. I believe headlines about and mugshots of managers is sending out the wrong message as it appears that the game is more about such managers than the massive effort put in by players themselves. So how can this issue be addressed? Is it action by the club committee concerned? Invention by the county board to the newspapers? Or educating such managers to put team players first?"
Yes Cillnaile indeed many would agree with you on your comment.

The situation you refer to is seen as unwarranted self importance and is defined as a form of narcissism or egotism. "Egotism is closely related to "loving one's self" or narcissism - which is the pursuit of gratification from vanity or egotistic admiration of one's own attributes. The term originated from Greek mythology, where the young Narcissus fell in love with his own image reflected in a pool of water.

Unfortunately, from time to time you will witness such football managers seeing themselves in a self-promoting fashion, and boastful with a grandiose sense of their own importance.

Thankfully, we have excellent role models like the county manager, Pete McGrath as well as former All Star player and renowned manager, Peter McGinnity who have got the balance right by offering their team players to speak to the press regularly. In fact, I believe at club level, many of the best managers avoid the limelight as much as possible.

I doubt if there is a quick fix solution for "self importance" as it is embedded in one's personality and we all know such people find it hard to change. I will finish by quoting an old saying but a very relevant one and that is "a Zebra can't change his stripes"!

BigToeJoe (Fermanagh) - Posts: 106 - 12/08/2016 22:22:34    1900458

Link

Replying To BigToeJoe:  "Yes Cillnaile indeed many would agree with you on your comment.

The situation you refer to is seen as unwarranted self importance and is defined as a form of narcissism or egotism. "Egotism is closely related to "loving one's self" or narcissism - which is the pursuit of gratification from vanity or egotistic admiration of one's own attributes. The term originated from Greek mythology, where the young Narcissus fell in love with his own image reflected in a pool of water.

Unfortunately, from time to time you will witness such football managers seeing themselves in a self-promoting fashion, and boastful with a grandiose sense of their own importance.

Thankfully, we have excellent role models like the county manager, Pete McGrath as well as former All Star player and renowned manager, Peter McGinnity who have got the balance right by offering their team players to speak to the press regularly. In fact, I believe at club level, many of the best managers avoid the limelight as much as possible.

I doubt if there is a quick fix solution for "self importance" as it is embedded in one's personality and we all know such people find it hard to change. I will finish by quoting an old saying but a very relevant one and that is "a Zebra can't change his stripes"!"
I always thought it was a leopard can't change his spots.

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 14/08/2016 22:28:05    1901028

Link