Fermanagh Forum

Games 2nd - 31st July 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To AnBuachaillGlas:  "why oh why can leagues not finish as leagues ... play offs and more play offs ffs.. you could win 18 out of 18 matches as it's likely kinawley will .. then lose a few players or have an off end if season and it's all lost ... end both leagues after 18 matches each job done"
AnBuachaillGlas - This has been discussed many times in the past. There have been league finals as long as I can remember. So, I assume old habits die hard. However, I have noticed that the best team doesn't always finish top - the reasons for such are varied and in the past accusations of unscrupulous activities. Thankfully, those days seem to be long gone. Anyway .....
Because the leagues are disrupted by the county teams - league results are sometimes distorted, some teams are unable to field their county players and therefore strongest teams.
Essentially, the playoffs avoid the conflict between club & county. To encourage players to remain in the county panel without undue pressure exerted by their clubs league status, whether pushing for promotion, win the league or avoid relegation.
The introduction of the back door system, has lengthened the county teams season and subsequently has a larger impact on clubs with county players.
e.g In the early days of the back door Enniskillen Gaels had as many 7 county players and as many as 9 in the squad. They were undoubtedly the best team at the time but without their best players they sometimes struggled in the league. (They won 7 SFC in 9 years but only 2 leagues in same period)
The top 4 was introduced to allow games to continue throughout the back door run. As a consequence and more importantly it has allowed for a more competitive league, meaning nearly every team has something to play for right to the end of the season; be it top 4 or avoid relegation; surely this is a good thing. I remember plenty of league campaigns when it was wrapped up half way through the league with 5-6 meaningless games and often unplayed fixtures.
At the last county convention, the clubs agreed to allow for more starred fixtures but to push this through the same ideology has been applied to the relegation zone in Div 1- where a safety net of a bottom 4 was introduced to alleviate the fear that clubs with more county panelists could be automatically relegated.
I hope this explains the reasons why there are playoffs.

Nontheism (Fermanagh) - Posts: 98 - 26/07/2016 12:58:00    1890334

Link

Replying To Nontheism:  "AnBuachaillGlas - This has been discussed many times in the past. There have been league finals as long as I can remember. So, I assume old habits die hard. However, I have noticed that the best team doesn't always finish top - the reasons for such are varied and in the past accusations of unscrupulous activities. Thankfully, those days seem to be long gone. Anyway .....
Because the leagues are disrupted by the county teams - league results are sometimes distorted, some teams are unable to field their county players and therefore strongest teams.
Essentially, the playoffs avoid the conflict between club & county. To encourage players to remain in the county panel without undue pressure exerted by their clubs league status, whether pushing for promotion, win the league or avoid relegation.
The introduction of the back door system, has lengthened the county teams season and subsequently has a larger impact on clubs with county players.
e.g In the early days of the back door Enniskillen Gaels had as many 7 county players and as many as 9 in the squad. They were undoubtedly the best team at the time but without their best players they sometimes struggled in the league. (They won 7 SFC in 9 years but only 2 leagues in same period)
The top 4 was introduced to allow games to continue throughout the back door run. As a consequence and more importantly it has allowed for a more competitive league, meaning nearly every team has something to play for right to the end of the season; be it top 4 or avoid relegation; surely this is a good thing. I remember plenty of league campaigns when it was wrapped up half way through the league with 5-6 meaningless games and often unplayed fixtures.
At the last county convention, the clubs agreed to allow for more starred fixtures but to push this through the same ideology has been applied to the relegation zone in Div 1- where a safety net of a bottom 4 was introduced to alleviate the fear that clubs with more county panelists could be automatically relegated.
I hope this explains the reasons why there are playoffs."
Yes it looks like Kinawley will finish top of Div 2 and with the play off system that is in place this year Kinawley will have two bits of the cherry to get promoted to Div 1. The top two play off winner goes to Div 1 as championship, Third and fourth play off winners play losers from the top two. So really Kinawley should make Div 1 next year but the question will be can they stay there.

gola (Fermanagh) - Posts: 299 - 26/07/2016 14:57:08    1890440

Link

gola there is no guarantees for Kinawley although it is probable! On an matter, has the GAA not got governance issue when it comes to what clubs can or can not do in respect of club facilities? From what I can see it there is too much uncontrolled development in rural clubs and with dwindling rural populations is this not a waste of money?

gaalltheway (Fermanagh) - Posts: 746 - 27/07/2016 00:57:14    1890740

Link

Results:

SFL 2 Rd 14
Kinawley 7-14 0-7 Brookeboro
SFL 2 R 12
Aghadrumsee 1-14 0-12 Enniskillen
JFL 1 Rd 13
Devenish (CONC) Teemore
JFL 1 Rd 17
Lisnaskea 2-14 1-12 St Pats
SFL 2 Rd 1
Newtownbutler 2-10 0-12 Coa
SFL 1 Rd 12
Maguiresbridge 1-5 5-18 Derrygonnelly
SFL 2 Rd 15
Belnaleck 1-5 2-7 Derrylin
JFL 1 Rd 18
Maguiresbridge(CONC) Teemore
Lisnaskea Devenish(CONC)
St Pats v Brookeboro(CONC)
Newtownbutler v Tempo
Derrygonnelly Roslea(CONC)
JFL 2 Rd 18
Ederney(CONC) Kinawley
Erne Gaels(CONC) Enniskillen
Irvinestown(CONC) Belcoo
Derrylin Coa(CONC)

The Junior leagues are becoming a joke!

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1219 - 30/07/2016 21:56:49    1892553

Link

Results:
SFL 1 Rd 15
Teemore 2-11 0-13 Belcoo
Maguiresbridge 1-11 2-8 Irvinestown
Devenish 0-7 0-4 Tempo
Erne Gaels 3-13 1-12 Roslea
Derrygonnelly 2-15 1-12 Ederney

Updated league table:
SFL 1
Pos. Team P W L D F A Pts
------------------------------------------ Top Performers-----------------------------------
1 Derrygonnelly 15 11 4 0 281 182 22
2 Roslea 15 10 4 1 229 200 21
3 Erne Gaels 15 9 5 1 238 201 19
4 Teemore 15 8 4 3 216 184 19
------------------------------------Mediocre Performers----------------------------------
5 Irvinestown 15 6 6 3 228 227 15
6 Ederney 15 7 7 1 212 225 15
----------------------------------------The Strugglers----------------------------------------
7 Devenish 14 6 7 1 194 207 13
8 Belcoo 15 5 9 1 190 209 11
9 Maguiresbridge 13 3 9 1 172 228 7
10 Tempo 14 1 11 2 122 219 4

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1219 - 31/07/2016 15:40:38    1892851

Link