Down Forum

Under 21 hurling final.

(Oldest Posts First)

Portaferry produced a superb winning performance yesterday in their win over Leitrim. An early goal by young Dathie Sands set up the Portaferry 21s for a comfortable win. Eoghan Sands was unplayable at times and his point tally showed that. Half back Taggart and full back Mallon dominated. To be honest every player on the pitch produced the goods to cement the victory. From Ritchie in goal to Mullan in full forward line they all did their bit. Well done lads.

Is there aney Ulster 21 competition?

swan song (None) - Posts: 427 - 05/12/2016 16:40:01    1938455

Link

Replying To swan song:  "Portaferry produced a superb winning performance yesterday in their win over Leitrim. An early goal by young Dathie Sands set up the Portaferry 21s for a comfortable win. Eoghan Sands was unplayable at times and his point tally showed that. Half back Taggart and full back Mallon dominated. To be honest every player on the pitch produced the goods to cement the victory. From Ritchie in goal to Mullan in full forward line they all did their bit. Well done lads.

Is there aney Ulster 21 competition?"
Unfortunately the Laitroim/Castlewellan/Ballela/Teconnaught amalgamation appeared understrength compared to their semi-final, so the match was a poor enough watch for a neutral. Portaferry were comfortably the better side throughout the hour and were deserving winners having come through the competition with a 100% record.

Thought the U-21 Championship was a good wee competition and fair play to the organisers. I make my next point as someone with no traditional ties to hurling in Down (expecting to get roasted).
I think it offers a decent template for the development of the Senior Championship with the 3 traditional Ards teams and the 3 amalgamations playing in 2 groups with 1st & 2nd placed teams advancing to quarter finals offering more players meaningful Championship Hurling. The standard of hurling is undoubtedly on the wain in the county so this might be a step (by no means the only one needed) towards raising the standard again by exposing more players to the white-heat of senior championship.
I would expect the players playing in the amalgamated teams to still compete for their own clubs in the Junior & intermediate championships similar to the model Kerry use for their football championships.

Go ahead traditionalists tear me and my blow-in ideas apart

downredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 552 - 06/12/2016 09:22:55    1938546

Link

Replying To downredhand:  "Unfortunately the Laitroim/Castlewellan/Ballela/Teconnaught amalgamation appeared understrength compared to their semi-final, so the match was a poor enough watch for a neutral. Portaferry were comfortably the better side throughout the hour and were deserving winners having come through the competition with a 100% record.

Thought the U-21 Championship was a good wee competition and fair play to the organisers. I make my next point as someone with no traditional ties to hurling in Down (expecting to get roasted).
I think it offers a decent template for the development of the Senior Championship with the 3 traditional Ards teams and the 3 amalgamations playing in 2 groups with 1st & 2nd placed teams advancing to quarter finals offering more players meaningful Championship Hurling. The standard of hurling is undoubtedly on the wain in the county so this might be a step (by no means the only one needed) towards raising the standard again by exposing more players to the white-heat of senior championship.
I would expect the players playing in the amalgamated teams to still compete for their own clubs in the Junior & intermediate championships similar to the model Kerry use for their football championships.

Go ahead traditionalists tear me and my blow-in ideas apart"
Far from it tyrone man, your suggestions aren't without merit and back in the day a rest of Down amalgamation did enter the senior championship but didn't gain any traction as they were poorly prepared and in some instances pulled from pillar to post by having football fixtures running in parallel to these semi-finals..

Yes something needs to be tried to spice up the senior championships as we've seen already amalgamations making inroads at minor level, so why not continue with it.

A North Down amalgamation (Bredagh/Carryduff/Darragh Cross), South Down (Newry/point/clonduff) and an amalgamation of Liatroim/Castlewellan/Ballela and some way of getting Ballyvarley and Kilclief ( Kilclief could maybe amalgamate with the high stoolers as they're at a low ebb at the minute) involved in two round robin sections with the top two playing off in a semi-final or something may allow a lot of hurlers get exposure to senior hurling that they otherwise wouldn't get.

CB support would obviously be essential.

It's not as it hasn't been a success for Kerry footballers and its not like they don't win anything!!

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2390 - 06/12/2016 14:36:08    1938634

Link

It was good to see that the Leitrim amalgamation scored 1.07, one goal and five points more than cran seniors in the senior championship. They even scored 1.03 in the second half, which topper was 1.03 more than you lot scored in the senior championship. LOL! History makers.

cahill (None) - Posts: 2526 - 06/12/2016 16:48:51    1938691

Link

I thought the U-21 competition was good year tho I would have expected the Bredagh/Carryduff team to be stronger but I hear the Bredagh senior teams were in the senior ulster competition,(one of their games was the next day) I would have expected the to get to the semi's at least.

But all is good with the comp hope it continues next year, tho beforehand I hope it brings some of the players on a bit next year with their clubs which in turn should make it more exciting for down as a whole, that's if we get no hiccups from the CB and others

Christy4Down (Down) - Posts: 177 - 09/12/2016 13:45:46    1939240

Link

Anyone know the fella giving the presentation he had a southern accent and didn't have a clue who he was. Must be a new memeber of the CB.

TheCatNan (Down) - Posts: 126 - 09/12/2016 17:27:53    1939297

Link

Replying To TheCatNan:  "Anyone know the fella giving the presentation he had a southern accent and didn't have a clue who he was. Must be a new memeber of the CB."
Tom Daly originally from Cork, plays a bit of hurling for Warrenpoint, must live in that locality

allseeingeye (Down) - Posts: 65 - 09/12/2016 19:22:05    1939314

Link