Westmeath Forum

National Football League 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Bring the club championship forward!!!

the21yardline (Westmeath) - Posts: 110 - 26/03/2018 12:15:20    2088231

Link

Replying To the21yardline:  "Bring the club championship forward!!!"
Couldn't agree more the county team is average at best,mid table div 3 is really where we are at,we would have been obliterated in div 2

footiemad (Westmeath) - Posts: 733 - 26/03/2018 13:20:41    2088262

Link

Replying To mickcunningham:  "i am absolutely gobsmacked at our performance today . its as if we had a divine right to beat offaly . totally
inept in all areas of the field . what the hell were management at . you always field your best team no matter what . this rubbish of nothing to play for rings hollow . i,m surer chops and his cronies will be on saying im mad but ive seen it all before . the amount of diving and complaining our players did was a disgrace . well done to offaly at least they showed pride in their jersey . performing like this will see us have a short summer . not one player came out of there with any dignity with the notable exeption of our player of the league luke loughlin , what a goal from the free . good luck county team i wont be watching yee again this year"
Mick you are not mad. You just seen what I have seen for the last 7-8 years. We lack any quality, any depth, and any ambition. I have said it before that there are times that it looks like we are just fulfilling a fixture. I knew we wouldn't put out our strongest team because really there was nothing to play for from a Westmeath point of view. Offaly were fighting for survival. I still thought we would have had enough to beat them but obviously not. When I seen Colin Kelly was going to be our manager I knew the county board lacked ambition and faith in the panel. We had a poor second half against Armagh at home, a poor 70 minutes against Longford and we played well for 10-12 minutes against Offaly then lay down. Should Laois beat Wexford in the preliminary round of Leinster, they will beat us in the quarter final.

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 775 - 26/03/2018 13:29:27    2088267

Link

Replying To Chops:  "Mick you are not mad. You just seen what I have seen for the last 7-8 years. We lack any quality, any depth, and any ambition. I have said it before that there are times that it looks like we are just fulfilling a fixture. I knew we wouldn't put out our strongest team because really there was nothing to play for from a Westmeath point of view. Offaly were fighting for survival. I still thought we would have had enough to beat them but obviously not. When I seen Colin Kelly was going to be our manager I knew the county board lacked ambition and faith in the panel. We had a poor second half against Armagh at home, a poor 70 minutes against Longford and we played well for 10-12 minutes against Offaly then lay down. Should Laois beat Wexford in the preliminary round of Leinster, they will beat us in the quarter final."
chops i agree withyou . going back years local rivalry meant everything . even in a match at the opening of a pitch
we always wanted to beat offaly . yesterday as you rightly said we fullfilled the fixture. this saddens me as someone who lives close to the offaly border and works in offaly . the attitude of the offaly boys was spot on yesterday but we lacked any hunger . i also have to say that we were found wanting against longford . this is the future of our county and from what i can see it is not bright

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1160 - 26/03/2018 14:27:06    2088296

Link

lots of negativity, going down to 14 for entire second half against longford killed us in the end, we were just a point behind heading into injury time before they got the goal, loosing 3 yesterday again had an impact although our performance yesterday was not good enough!! but indiscipline is more of an issue here, overall it wasn't a bad league campaign and if we had managed to keep 15 against 15 for the longford game we could have won it then the offaly game would have been so different. Why are westmeath fans so negative we are a competitive division 3 side that is it no more no less

dec (None) - Posts: 216 - 26/03/2018 17:26:08    2088392

Link

Replying To mickcunningham:  "i am absolutely gobsmacked at our performance today . its as if we had a divine right to beat offaly . totally
inept in all areas of the field . what the hell were management at . you always field your best team no matter what . this rubbish of nothing to play for rings hollow . i,m surer chops and his cronies will be on saying im mad but ive seen it all before . the amount of diving and complaining our players did was a disgrace . well done to offaly at least they showed pride in their jersey . performing like this will see us have a short summer . not one player came out of there with any dignity with the notable exeption of our player of the league luke loughlin , what a goal from the free . good luck county team i wont be watching yee again this year"
Delighted to see Luke Loughlin doing well with your County team. First saw him play with New York, a couple of years ago, and he was the pick of that team. What was most impressive was the heart he brings to the game.

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 493 - 26/03/2018 17:32:48    2088394

Link

Guess I called one right at last. I suppose we won't have many friends in Derry after that result.

wonit1time (Westmeath) - Posts: 450 - 26/03/2018 18:34:37    2088423

Link

Replying To dec:  "lots of negativity, going down to 14 for entire second half against longford killed us in the end, we were just a point behind heading into injury time before they got the goal, loosing 3 yesterday again had an impact although our performance yesterday was not good enough!! but indiscipline is more of an issue here, overall it wasn't a bad league campaign and if we had managed to keep 15 against 15 for the longford game we could have won it then the offaly game would have been so different. Why are westmeath fans so negative we are a competitive division 3 side that is it no more no less"
dec you are talking rubbish . how can telling the truth be negative . do you want me to say that all is rosy when clearly it is not . we are just about a division 3 team and nothing more . i will alwys say it as i see it and if that makes me negative so be it

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1160 - 26/03/2018 19:43:34    2088448

Link

Replying To mickcunningham:  "dec you are talking rubbish . how can telling the truth be negative . do you want me to say that all is rosy when clearly it is not . we are just about a division 3 team and nothing more . i will alwys say it as i see it and if that makes me negative so be it"
Am i mick? I said we are a competitive division 3 team and no more, we competed and were not far off promotion, what did i say that was rubbish?? We had 1 very poor result out of 7!! Westmeath fans need to realise this is our level

dec (None) - Posts: 216 - 26/03/2018 21:37:36    2088508

Link

Replying To dec:  "lots of negativity, going down to 14 for entire second half against longford killed us in the end, we were just a point behind heading into injury time before they got the goal, loosing 3 yesterday again had an impact although our performance yesterday was not good enough!! but indiscipline is more of an issue here, overall it wasn't a bad league campaign and if we had managed to keep 15 against 15 for the longford game we could have won it then the offaly game would have been so different. Why are westmeath fans so negative we are a competitive division 3 side that is it no more no less"
Were you looking at the same Longford game I was looking at? We coughed up possession far too easily, we carried the ball into tackles, kicked away possession also and Longford kicked enough wides in the first half to have us beaten out the gate at the short whistle. The frustrating part is they can dig deep when they want to like the last 10 minutes against Fermanagh then turn out rubbish performances against Longford and Offaly. Consistency is one of the teams biggest problems. Its as if when a result goes their way they think they just have to turn up the next day and it will just fall into place without having to work for it. Not to be completely negative its been a good campaign for Loughlin and good to see O'Toole being blooded aswell. Its a pity we didn't get promotion as a higher standard of football would have brought these lads on.

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 775 - 27/03/2018 01:36:19    2088563

Link

Replying To Chops:  "Were you looking at the same Longford game I was looking at? We coughed up possession far too easily, we carried the ball into tackles, kicked away possession also and Longford kicked enough wides in the first half to have us beaten out the gate at the short whistle. The frustrating part is they can dig deep when they want to like the last 10 minutes against Fermanagh then turn out rubbish performances against Longford and Offaly. Consistency is one of the teams biggest problems. Its as if when a result goes their way they think they just have to turn up the next day and it will just fall into place without having to work for it. Not to be completely negative its been a good campaign for Loughlin and good to see O'Toole being blooded aswell. Its a pity we didn't get promotion as a higher standard of football would have brought these lads on."
just a note to wish frank boyle a full recovery from his neck surgery . frank is a stalwart westmeath and killucan man
who has given great service to club and county . hopefully we see him back soon

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1160 - 28/03/2018 13:48:23    2089036

Link

Replying To Meridian:  "Mick, i gave up on them a while back. I can understand some of the younger brigade on here living in hope that some miracle has happened and that over the winter we all of a sudden became a good team, but, alas, reality has dawned. League tables dont lie. We are a mid table Div 3 team and nothing more. Book the holidays lads, a short summer awaits."
Any news on new faces being added to the panel for the championship, or are we going with it as it is.
It could be a short summer indeed.

Kuga (Westmeath) - Posts: 27 - 16/04/2018 20:37:13    2093394

Link

Replying To Kuga:  "Any news on new faces being added to the panel for the championship, or are we going with it as it is.
It could be a short summer indeed."
What harm. A long summer presumably means getting to the super 8's, but what's the point? There's no prospect of winning anything, or even getting within ten points of the top teams. Crazy that the club championship is held up for this, on the grounds that we have to give our county team the best chance. Best chance of what exactly?

Westy (Westmeath) - Posts: 28 - 16/04/2018 21:45:56    2093413

Link

Replying To Westy:  "What harm. A long summer presumably means getting to the super 8's, but what's the point? There's no prospect of winning anything, or even getting within ten points of the top teams. Crazy that the club championship is held up for this, on the grounds that we have to give our county team the best chance. Best chance of what exactly?"
Club versus county seems to be an ongoing issue within westmeath, maybe if everyone got behind both then we may see some improvements. There are plenty of people within westmeath that would love to see the county team do well and get a good run during the summer, plenty of kids love to see the county team in action so we need to get behind the county team also. The club championship was ran very successfully later in the year last season so i dont see any issue in following that model again!! about time people stopped always being so negative regarding the county teams within westmeath, of course we wont win a leinster or all ireland but realistically there are only a couple of counties that can!!

dec (None) - Posts: 216 - 17/04/2018 13:17:03    2093526

Link

Replying To dec:  "Club versus county seems to be an ongoing issue within westmeath, maybe if everyone got behind both then we may see some improvements. There are plenty of people within westmeath that would love to see the county team do well and get a good run during the summer, plenty of kids love to see the county team in action so we need to get behind the county team also. The club championship was ran very successfully later in the year last season so i dont see any issue in following that model again!! about time people stopped always being so negative regarding the county teams within westmeath, of course we wont win a leinster or all ireland but realistically there are only a couple of counties that can!!"
Nobody here is talking about winning a Leinster or All Ireland Dec, but there are games that these players are capable of winning. We lost to a depleted Longford side, we were in the game at half time against Armagh and got hockied out of it in the second half and lost by 6 points at home to the worst Offaly team on the go in years. These are the games we should be winning.

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 775 - 17/04/2018 20:23:27    2093660

Link

Replying To Chops:  "Nobody here is talking about winning a Leinster or All Ireland Dec, but there are games that these players are capable of winning. We lost to a depleted Longford side, we were in the game at half time against Armagh and got hockied out of it in the second half and lost by 6 points at home to the worst Offaly team on the go in years. These are the games we should be winning."
i agree chops these are games we should be winning, lads getting sent off didn't help in the longford game, the offaly game was a major disappointment i believe if we had got something from the longford game then this game may have panned out differently, my point was people should forget about the club versus county argument and get behind both, we need a competitive county team to keep young lads interested. A proper underage structure would also help..

dec (None) - Posts: 216 - 18/04/2018 12:12:38    2093775

Link

Replying To dec:  "i agree chops these are games we should be winning, lads getting sent off didn't help in the longford game, the offaly game was a major disappointment i believe if we had got something from the longford game then this game may have panned out differently, my point was people should forget about the club versus county argument and get behind both, we need a competitive county team to keep young lads interested. A proper underage structure would also help.."
How many years are we harping on about these issues?? There was talk in the boom of a centre of excellence and Cusack park being sold for a handsome price and moved out to the edge of town. None of it happened, Croke park has many avenues of funding open to counties with a decent plan presented to them but we don't seem to be going looking for it. The club championship is riddled with skulduggery every year with some games being refixed to suit certain teams, and other teams not given the same flexibility when it comes to weddings, funerals etc. There have been some good games in the club championship the last few seasons but overall the standard is quite poor. The new fixtures format worked a little better last season and I think overall clubs were a little happier with the way it ran off.

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 775 - 18/04/2018 21:48:38    2093869

Link

Replying To Chops:  "How many years are we harping on about these issues?? There was talk in the boom of a centre of excellence and Cusack park being sold for a handsome price and moved out to the edge of town. None of it happened, Croke park has many avenues of funding open to counties with a decent plan presented to them but we don't seem to be going looking for it. The club championship is riddled with skulduggery every year with some games being refixed to suit certain teams, and other teams not given the same flexibility when it comes to weddings, funerals etc. There have been some good games in the club championship the last few seasons but overall the standard is quite poor. The new fixtures format worked a little better last season and I think overall clubs were a little happier with the way it ran off."
I don't see how anybody can say our club championships are of a low standard.
Just look at what St Loman's did, and who can forget the journey Multy. brought us on.
I just asked the question regarding the county panel which seems to have gotten lost.
Glad to see new faces added to the panel for the championship, as per this forum.

Kuga (Westmeath) - Posts: 27 - 18/04/2018 22:59:41    2093880

Link

Replying To Kuga:  "I don't see how anybody can say our club championships are of a low standard.
Just look at what St Loman's did, and who can forget the journey Multy. brought us on.
I just asked the question regarding the county panel which seems to have gotten lost.
Glad to see new faces added to the panel for the championship, as per this forum."
the new players i heard were darragh daly, stephen gallagher and joe moran, anyone else? Apart from Joe these are not new, darragh has been around a while now and has never made the breakthrough, stephen would be back up goalkeeper at best, so i dont really see the benefits they will bring to the team..

dec (None) - Posts: 216 - 19/04/2018 11:56:31    2093935

Link

no paul sharry or shane dempsey so no improvement . worst of all a long time injury to frank boyle and no sign of kevin maguire . not much to look forward to this summer

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1160 - 19/04/2018 13:19:26    2093955

Link