Westmeath Forum

National Football League 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To footiemad:  "Cant see us beating Fermanagh let alone Longford"
Agreed, Fermanagh have always been a team we have taken for granted and they turn around and hand us our rear ends on a plate every time. They are a dogged outfit and are getting fairly good results away from home.

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 775 - 27/02/2018 16:39:57    2080988

Link

Replying To Chops:  "Agreed, Fermanagh have always been a team we have taken for granted and they turn around and hand us our rear ends on a plate every time. They are a dogged outfit and are getting fairly good results away from home."
Agree chops, but if we do get a result Sunday, the two teams left are not to the same standard so you would have to fancy us for the second spot.

Paddyfla19 (Westmeath) - Posts: 107 - 27/02/2018 17:39:02    2081017

Link

Replying To Paddyfla19:  "Agree chops, but if we do get a result Sunday, the two teams left are not to the same standard so you would have to fancy us for the second spot."
I wouldn't be writing off Longford, we are both on the same level. They only lost by 1 point in Armagh, we got beat by 9 at home to Armagh.

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 775 - 27/02/2018 23:23:08    2081134

Link

longford will be tough in pearse park but fermanagh will be the hardest of the 3 remaining games

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1160 - 28/02/2018 09:22:54    2081162

Link

Hello lads and ladies ... will the pitch in Mullingar recover in time for Sunday do ya think ?
Cheers

AnBuachaillGlas (Fermanagh) - Posts: 287 - 05/03/2018 11:19:46    2081899

Link

Replying To AnBuachaillGlas:  "Hello lads and ladies ... will the pitch in Mullingar recover in time for Sunday do ya think ?
Cheers"
Its a well drained pitch and generally doesn't hold water. I'd expect it should be in good condition come Sunday.

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 775 - 05/03/2018 13:49:58    2081922

Link

Cusack Park should be fine.
Plan B will be prunty pitch at Loman's
Plan C will be astro at Loman's

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 624 - 05/03/2018 16:23:44    2081964

Link

If all else fails Quigley and Heslin can have a free taking competition for the points. Hard to see Westmeath winning this one given our dismal record against Ulster teams.

wonit1time (Westmeath) - Posts: 450 - 07/03/2018 08:18:22    2082371

Link

Replying To wonit1time:  "If all else fails Quigley and Heslin can have a free taking competition for the points. Hard to see Westmeath winning this one given our dismal record against Ulster teams."
Whenever we play fermanagh there is always people thinking, we can beat fermanagh. but i don't remember a time recently when we did. When we were D1 and d2 they came from i think d3 to beat us handy enough in mullingar and brefni park in the back door. ended pat flanagan era and did not do much for p bealins record either. In Quigley i think, is so under rated a big strong difficult forward to mark that can score or shoot from anywhere. double mark him and your leaving space for some else and i do not think we have big enough defender to man mark him. We have to be at our best for full 70 minutes and not sit back if we get any sort of lead. game if we don't win or at least draw can nearly rule out chance of promotion.

madbull (Westmeath) - Posts: 191 - 07/03/2018 09:41:07    2082388

Link

we cant be worrying about one player . we have to be positive . the game is at home and we have to drive on .
any news on callum mcormack or ronan o toole

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1160 - 07/03/2018 11:25:44    2082412

Link

Replying To madbull:  "Whenever we play fermanagh there is always people thinking, we can beat fermanagh. but i don't remember a time recently when we did. When we were D1 and d2 they came from i think d3 to beat us handy enough in mullingar and brefni park in the back door. ended pat flanagan era and did not do much for p bealins record either. In Quigley i think, is so under rated a big strong difficult forward to mark that can score or shoot from anywhere. double mark him and your leaving space for some else and i do not think we have big enough defender to man mark him. We have to be at our best for full 70 minutes and not sit back if we get any sort of lead. game if we don't win or at least draw can nearly rule out chance of promotion."
are yous carrying any injured players into this game? will mccormack b fit to play?

the quigley that you are referring to is sean...he has been fermanaghs main full forward over the last number of years but hes been unfortunate to find him self mainly being used as a sub so far this season...tomas corrigan probly only be a sub as well, the quigley that starts at full forward atm is seans brother the notorious seamus quigley - the bear in the square.

abitawit (Fermanagh) - Posts: 274 - 07/03/2018 13:03:41    2082437

Link

Replying To madbull:  "Whenever we play fermanagh there is always people thinking, we can beat fermanagh. but i don't remember a time recently when we did. When we were D1 and d2 they came from i think d3 to beat us handy enough in mullingar and brefni park in the back door. ended pat flanagan era and did not do much for p bealins record either. In Quigley i think, is so under rated a big strong difficult forward to mark that can score or shoot from anywhere. double mark him and your leaving space for some else and i do not think we have big enough defender to man mark him. We have to be at our best for full 70 minutes and not sit back if we get any sort of lead. game if we don't win or at least draw can nearly rule out chance of promotion."
are yous carrying any injured players into this game? will mccormack b fit to play?

the quigley that you are referring to is sean...he has been fermanaghs main full forward over the last number of years but hes been unfortunate to find him self mainly being used as a sub so far this season...tomas corrigan probly only be a sub as well, the quigley that starts at full forward atm is seans brother the notorious seamus quigley - the bear in the square.

abitawit (Fermanagh) - Posts: 274 - 07/03/2018 13:06:13    2082438

Link

Apologies I did not realise there was 2 Quigleys. No wonder I thought he was so good. We only have one Heslin for sure. Seemingly he can do the work of three men so hopefully we will be alright.

wonit1time (Westmeath) - Posts: 450 - 09/03/2018 08:05:03    2082858

Link

Good to see that John Connellan is back with the squad. We have a few decent options in the forward line this year, even though it looks like Dempsey is taking a year out. Anyone know if Holloway will be back or is he still injured? It should be a tight game this weekend against Fermanagh but I expect Westmeath to win by a few points. We haven't been killing off teams at all this year despite plenty of possession so hopefully this can be fixed on Sunday.

Matthew (None) - Posts: 897 - 09/03/2018 09:34:35    2082872

Link

What a turnaround by Westmeath. Awful in first half but stuck at it and turned it around. Referee seemed to be very picky but probably save Westmeath with the deserved sending off. The subs were all excellent and fair dues to Luke Loughlin who kep at it and got a couple of great scores in the end. Great to be going into last couple of games with something to play for.

wonit1time (Westmeath) - Posts: 450 - 11/03/2018 18:47:25    2083509

Link

Well done to the lads. Half time it looked like the game might slip away. A huge second half. Would love to see more of that from these lads, pure guts and determination in the final 10 minutes. Longford have a few issues at the minute with McGivney leaving the panel there appears to be a little discontent hopefully we can get something out of that game. Their draw in Sligo gives us a big chance with Fermanagh playing Armagh next weekend we are in a better position this weekend than I would have anticipated. Hopefully we can kick on from here.

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 775 - 11/03/2018 18:54:19    2083515

Link

what a finish . we looked dead and buried at half time but to be fair the line made the right calls . moving john heslin in gave us an outlet and it worked . dennis coroon was awesome at midfield . once again luke loughlin ran himself to a stand still . delighted to see john connelan back . we go to longford in great mood so cmon supporters lets go to longford in big numbers on sunday . iarmhi abu

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1160 - 11/03/2018 20:59:24    2083627

Link

Westmeath will win handy enough next week. As the rounds go by Longford seem to be missing more and more players. With John Keegan opting off the panel along with McGivney and Sean McCormack, Liam Connerton and Shane Kenny all out injured....now Mickey Quinn is missing for next week. For a county out size we haven't the players of that calibre coming in as replacements. They threw the game away in Sligo today and were no good at home to Wexford. Westmeath by 6-7 points and claim second spot.

Spinx (Longford) - Posts: 864 - 11/03/2018 22:53:40    2083719

Link

Great comeback yesterday, for so long we couldn't win a break from the Fermanagh kick-out but won the last few which won us the game. I think the Fermanagh tactics completely threw us off our game in the first half, they were fouling a man to slow us down at halfway constantly and we just couldn't break them down them when they got back. They seemed tired in the 2nd half then which gave us more space along with Heslin causing them worries inside. He plays much better when he's being marked tight and doesn't have much time on the ball, he gave the ball away really easily 3 time in the first half by taking the ball into tackles or trying to go by a player from midfield. most our subs made positive contributions when coming on especially O'Toole and Connellen.

martyW (Westmeath) - Posts: 243 - 12/03/2018 16:15:43    2083993

Link

Rumours abound Longford today that ye will be facing a severely depleated Home side on Sunday. Not only missing the few injured players and McGiveney but they'll also be missing Quinn (who's getting married) but also his club mates Sean and Padraig McCormack and Daniel Mimnagh. Would Westmeath -5 be worth a punt?

Oddball (Roscommon) - Posts: 755 - 14/03/2018 22:48:18    2084658

Link