Westmeath Forum

National Football League 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To BigSur:  "Courtesy of Irish Times:
Derry 2-14 Westmeath 2-17
Two early goals were the crucial scores as Westmeath got their league campaign off to a winning start over Derry at Celtic Park. John Heslin starred in the Lake County's attack with 1-7, but he found able support from the impressive Callum McCormack, who helped himself to 1-4 from play. An injury-time penalty save by Eoin Carberry from Enda Lynn confirmed the win. The visitors threw down an early gauntlet, and in some style, with goals from McCormack and Heslin (penalty) opening up a six point lead after just six minutes. Derry, with a strong breeze in their favour, fought back through points from Michael Bateson and James Kielt before skipper Enda Lynn palmed home a goal for Derry in the 12th minute. But again Westmeath responded with star man Heslin at the heart of their scoring, ending the first half with 1-4. Injury-time points from Peter Hagan and a second from the bullish Bateson reduced Derry's deficit, but they still trailed 2-7 to 1-7 at the break. A feisty encounter continued well into the second half with both sides reduced to 14 men after the dismissals of James Dolan and Kielt. Westmeath, however, managed to keep their necks just ahead throughout but had Lynn converted that last minute penalty it would have earned his side a share of the spoils. He didn't, and Westmeath, deservedly, prevailed.
DERRY: B McKinless; N Keenan, K Johnston, R Mooney; M Bateson (0-2), L McGoldrick, M McEvoy; C McAtamney, E Bradley (0-2, both frees); E Lynn (1-0), P Hagan (0-1), C McFaul (0-2); D Tallon (0-2), J Kielt (0-3, two frees), N Toner 1-0.
Subs: C Doherty for M McEvoy (49 mins), M Lynch (0-2, both frees) for D Tallon (49).
WESTMEATH: E Carberry; M McCallon, K Daly, B Sayeh; N Mulligan, S Duncan, J Dolan; A Stone, R O'Toole (0-1); K Martin (0-1), J Heslin (1-7, five frees), G Egan (0-2); C McCormack (1-4), L Loughlin (0-2), J Egan.
Subs: F Boyle for K Daly (33 mins), D Whelan for R O'Toole (69)
Referee: J Molloy (Galway)

Massive result on the road for the lads fair play. Some last 10 mins or so, we went 7 up and then conceded 1-1 and young Carbery saved an injury time penalty, fair play to him. It would have been a travesty to have drawn this game so well done to all. No substitute for class with Heslin flying. No rest for the wicked with Armagh coming to town next week who thumped Sligo 2-17 to 0-9 today."
Just back from Derry. Dolan wasn't sent off, it was Duncan.

Great to get off to such a positive start in the league. Martin and Ger Egan were top class. Sayeh is turning into a very good defender and is getting better every game. Loughlin had another good game and was unlucky not to get a game. Ronan O'Toole had a very good game for first senior outing.

If we could get Sharry back and Holloway also once fit it would be a massive boost. Corroon was missed today at midfield and unfortunately he could be out for a few weeks. With another win next weekend at home against Armagh (will be tight) there is no reason we can't aim to win out division 3 as we are good enough!

Matthew (None) - Posts: 897 - 28/01/2018 20:49:06    2071612

Link

Great start to the season for Colin Kelly and his troops. Results would suggest he's settling in well

Red2017 (Louth) - Posts: 100 - 28/01/2018 21:53:41    2071657

Link

* above should say, Loughlin was unlucky not to get a goal.. Why can't you edit posts on this!?

Matthew (None) - Posts: 897 - 28/01/2018 22:15:46    2071670

Link

Well done to the lads, not an easy trip to make and there was a strong wind to contend with too. Armagh will be a different prospect and I'd expect a niggly affair after last years disgusting play by the Orchard.

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 775 - 29/01/2018 09:37:16    2071770

Link

Fair play to those who travelled. What way did the team set up - was Heslin midfield along with Stone and Loughlin at centre forward ?

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 624 - 29/01/2018 21:29:28    2072191

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "Fair play to those who travelled. What way did the team set up - was Heslin midfield along with Stone and Loughlin at centre forward ?"
Heslin was midfield with Stone. Stone didn't have one of his better games. Loughlin was full forward but tracked back a lot. Loughlin nearly scored a cracker of a goal.

I'm looking forward to next Sunday; it will be very lively. Calum had another brilliant game yesterday and the 4 points he got were just outstanding.

Matthew (None) - Posts: 897 - 29/01/2018 22:33:53    2072208

Link

Armagh bullied us in the qualifiers last year. We had the winning of the game and could not close it out. If we can beat Derry away we can beat Armagh at home. Lets keep the momentum going.

wonit1time (Westmeath) - Posts: 450 - 30/01/2018 11:42:07    2072329

Link

Great win away to derry, Calum McCormack seems to be flying hopefully he can stay fit for the year as he always had great potential. There is a positive attitude around the westmeath camp through Colin Kelly and the new chairman and PRO etc.. Kelly is trying to get them to believe they can beat anyone.. tough game against armagh sunday but well capable of winning that one, we should have beaten them last year, expect a rough game again

dec (None) - Posts: 216 - 30/01/2018 13:07:00    2072383

Link

this is a game we can win . the players should be highly motivated after the qualifier last year. frank boyle should start instead of sam duncan . i would leave luke loughlin at full forward and put ronan o toole at centre forward with john heslin at midfield. dennis corroon will be a loss for the few weeks he will be out . is there any update on jamie gonoud

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1160 - 30/01/2018 13:15:25    2072390

Link

Big test for the lads tomorrow. Just like last week we'll be underdogs. Hopefully the fans will get out to support them,unlike last year when Armagh fans completely outnumbered us.
Let's hope we will not be hearing moaning from the kinnegad delegates about Armagh fans again. Be more in their line to bring a few fans and they can all sit together and might not feel intimidated this time. Iarmhi Abù!

Killucan59 (Westmeath) - Posts: 17 - 03/02/2018 21:35:56    2073696

Link

Don't be worrying about the Armagh fans folks, it will be safe to take your kids and granny's to the game, there ain't a lot going down this time. A lot of folk saving their money for other away matches.

sean og (Armagh) - Posts: 1001 - 04/02/2018 09:04:09    2073756

Link

Wasn't at game any good performances or positives ??

Pintman13 (Westmeath) - Posts: 10 - 04/02/2018 19:21:45    2073998

Link

was at the game yesterday have to say was impressed with Armagh big physical team who kicked some great pts the second half. as for ourselves thought heslin was good with very little help around the middle loughlin was good but would be better at centre forward the high ball in caused us a lot of difficulty . one big problem getting too many backs forward and leaving us wide open which Armagh took advantage off. we badley miss McGuire Gonoude Sharry Corroon John Concellan. We really need them back if we want to stay in promotion hunt

Rogers (Westmeath) - Posts: 20 - 05/02/2018 14:25:57    2074286

Link

Replying To Rogers:  "was at the game yesterday have to say was impressed with Armagh big physical team who kicked some great pts the second half. as for ourselves thought heslin was good with very little help around the middle loughlin was good but would be better at centre forward the high ball in caused us a lot of difficulty . one big problem getting too many backs forward and leaving us wide open which Armagh took advantage off. we badley miss McGuire Gonoude Sharry Corroon John Concellan. We really need them back if we want to stay in promotion hunt"
While i agree with some of what you say, I did not think heslin had a great game by his standards, while getting a mark from a kick out now and then the armagh midfielder won a lot of possesion in front of him. but for me i think against laois and offaly ball was move at speed into forward line with players attacking and supporting at speed. Against Armagh ball was slow and sometimes sideway and even kick backways especially in middle third of field allowing armagh to get back. We do have to remember that armagh were unluck not to get out of Division 3 last year except for a melt down in the last couple of minutes against Tipperary so they are a division 2 standard team and for first 20 minutes we were in control and should have been more ahead except for that scrappy luck goal. I do think Heslin is needed at midfield but for last couple of years we were trying to make full forward out of him now were trying to make a midfielder from him so i think he need more games at midfield to get back to playing best there. also the new or younger players real impressed

madbull (Westmeath) - Posts: 191 - 06/02/2018 11:33:36    2074532

Link

Did anyone listen to Kelly's interview with radio 3 after the game? Its definitely worth a listen!

Last Sunday a lot of the key players just didn't perform and there will be days like that. We need to bounce back with a win against Wexford and I fully expect the team to do so. I assume Duncan will be back from suspension the next day and that will be a bit of a boost. Midfield is an issue for the team and Corroon is a big loss. Stones may not be good enough to keep his place in my view and I think someone else will need to be tried there to play along with Heslin.

Matthew (None) - Posts: 897 - 06/02/2018 11:42:08    2074537

Link

the manager wasnt happy with radio 3 line of questions after the game . you have to take the good with the bad
so days like last sunday will always happen . armagh were superior to us and deserved to win . indeed if they had been more accurate in the first half they would have had the game wrapped up . ger egan is still no where near where he can be but games will bring him on . cillian daly will never be a full back so he should not be in there . colin kelly
will learn from this and i expect a win in wexford

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1160 - 06/02/2018 13:58:55    2074583

Link

Kelly might want to write down a list of questions he's happy to be asked in an interview. A bit over the top seeing as he wasn't being asked anything out of the ordinary!

Killucan59 (Westmeath) - Posts: 17 - 06/02/2018 19:13:27    2074638

Link

Martin ONeill springs to mind. Went down the wrong road in my opinion. Just answer the questions.

Jack_Sparrow (Westmeath) - Posts: 846 - 06/02/2018 22:05:16    2074680

Link

Replying To madbull:  "While i agree with some of what you say, I did not think heslin had a great game by his standards, while getting a mark from a kick out now and then the armagh midfielder won a lot of possesion in front of him. but for me i think against laois and offaly ball was move at speed into forward line with players attacking and supporting at speed. Against Armagh ball was slow and sometimes sideway and even kick backways especially in middle third of field allowing armagh to get back. We do have to remember that armagh were unluck not to get out of Division 3 last year except for a melt down in the last couple of minutes against Tipperary so they are a division 2 standard team and for first 20 minutes we were in control and should have been more ahead except for that scrappy luck goal. I do think Heslin is needed at midfield but for last couple of years we were trying to make full forward out of him now were trying to make a midfielder from him so i think he need more games at midfield to get back to playing best there. also the new or younger players real impressed"
I have just one question, why are so many players missing who were on the panel last year.
This question was asked before and no definite answer was given.
I think it showed last Sunday the lack of a good panel.
We need everybody on board.

Kuga (Westmeath) - Posts: 27 - 06/02/2018 22:45:57    2074693

Link

Replying To Kuga:  "I have just one question, why are so many players missing who were on the panel last year.
This question was asked before and no definite answer was given.
I think it showed last Sunday the lack of a good panel.
We need everybody on board."
If you read the articles on hoganstand over the past 7-8 weeks you'd see that reasons were clearly given. Sharry wanted a break and is in 2 minds over taking a year out. Kevin Maguire is travelling in South America, McDaniels has transferred to Dublin and is working there and would not commit to travelling up and down for training/games.

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 775 - 07/02/2018 09:12:02    2074734

Link