USA Forum

Senior / Intermediate amalgamation - NY

(Oldest Posts First)

So I am led to believe that due to the NY Senior division being in dire straits, the County Board are now contemplating amalgamating the Senior and Intermediate divisions into the following divisions:

Div #1
Monaghan
Kerry
Cork
Longford
Westmeath
Rockland
Rangers
Leitrem

Div #2
Donegal
St.Barnabas
Cavan
Sligo
Mayo
Brooklyn
Tyrone

To me personally this is both good and bad news. This provides a wider range of competitive games for all teams involved. Intermediate teams get to test themselves against the senior teams, despite the fact that there hasnt been a huge difference in quality over past few seasons between the divisions. The Senior teams also get more competitive games. A win-win for all involved, however I do have the following concerns:

1) As of now, Kerry have both a Senior and Intermediate team. Are Kerry folding their intermediate team if this goes through?
2) I am told top 3 in each go through to 'Senior Playoffs". 4th, 5th and 6th go into an "Intermediate playoff". Will this encourage teams to try and play the system by purposely trying to finish in the intermediate bracket at a chance of winning a trophy? As we all know, Senior is really a 2 horse race with Monaghan and Donegal. That leads me to my next point
3) Amalgamating both divisions plays into both Donegal and Monaghans hands. Great clubs with great people involved, however their big spending and recruiting is a cancer in the NY GAA scene. Why should the intermediate teams leave a competitive divisions to become victims of this? Where is the incentive for an Intermediate team? If the NY County Board could address this (easier said than done) then it would create a level playing field for all to play for.
4) If the above proposal does not go through, why wouldnt Cavan be automatically promoted to Senior after winning Intermediate last year? They should not have a choice in the matter

I am interested to hear some of your viewpoints or perhaps solutions/answers to the above.

TractorTom4 (Australia) - Posts: 14 - 14/02/2017 15:51:21    1956709

Link

I doubt a team will throw games just to win a trophy. If the current divisions stay the way they are, I could forsee the 4th, 5th, and 6th playoff seeds being all intermediate teams, with an all intermediate teams final. I am guessing that the winner would be moved in some sort of senior final the next year, how would NYGAA figure that one out? Also, why not just keep intermediate division as is, and I took a look a rules regarding winner of intermediate division. Since Cavan already has a Senior team and they won intermediate, it does not look like they will move up next year, interesting. Also a surprise that Leitrim is automatically thrown into the fire their first year of promotion would they recall some of their products from Barnabas? Everyone knows whatever will be decided it will be very hard for any teams to stop the force behind Donegal and Monaghan. They also have the big bucks available to spend which puts teams like Brooklyn, Rockland, Sligo, Mayo, Tyrone, and Rangers at huge disadvantage. The high caliber players they had last year in that final was close to an inter-county All Ireland final.

UP_THE_PUBS (USA) - Posts: 14 - 14/02/2017 18:58:51    1956778

Link

Replying To TractorTom4:  "So I am led to believe that due to the NY Senior division being in dire straits, the County Board are now contemplating amalgamating the Senior and Intermediate divisions into the following divisions:

Div #1
Monaghan
Kerry
Cork
Longford
Westmeath
Rockland
Rangers
Leitrem

Div #2
Donegal
St.Barnabas
Cavan
Sligo
Mayo
Brooklyn
Tyrone

To me personally this is both good and bad news. This provides a wider range of competitive games for all teams involved. Intermediate teams get to test themselves against the senior teams, despite the fact that there hasnt been a huge difference in quality over past few seasons between the divisions. The Senior teams also get more competitive games. A win-win for all involved, however I do have the following concerns:

1) As of now, Kerry have both a Senior and Intermediate team. Are Kerry folding their intermediate team if this goes through?
2) I am told top 3 in each go through to 'Senior Playoffs". 4th, 5th and 6th go into an "Intermediate playoff". Will this encourage teams to try and play the system by purposely trying to finish in the intermediate bracket at a chance of winning a trophy? As we all know, Senior is really a 2 horse race with Monaghan and Donegal. That leads me to my next point
3) Amalgamating both divisions plays into both Donegal and Monaghans hands. Great clubs with great people involved, however their big spending and recruiting is a cancer in the NY GAA scene. Why should the intermediate teams leave a competitive divisions to become victims of this? Where is the incentive for an Intermediate team? If the NY County Board could address this (easier said than done) then it would create a level playing field for all to play for.
4) If the above proposal does not go through, why wouldnt Cavan be automatically promoted to Senior after winning Intermediate last year? They should not have a choice in the matter

I am interested to hear some of your viewpoints or perhaps solutions/answers to the above."
Cavan are promoted to senior this year regardless. Bigger worry for gaa if it dose t go thru is that Cork are out and word is that Barnabas could be in trouble too so that would leave 4 senior teams. The top 3 senior teams have always destroyed football with overspending and there is the problem.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 534 - 15/02/2017 12:22:26    1957034

Link

Would hate to see Barnabas go drop out, they really have done so well from Junior A - Intermediate - Senior and then pulling off a few good surprise wins last year to get the semis. That is the blue print clubs should be following, but unfortunately that is not the case it is all about $ and bringing players that have no loyalty to these clubs. It really is a shame but hopefully this wouldn't be the end.

UP_THE_PUBS (USA) - Posts: 14 - 15/02/2017 12:36:33    1957046

Link

In reply to Cross Gaa: You hit the nail on the head. We saw the same thing happen here in the NACB. Philly ruined, Chicago ruined, and the Boston teams made up of mercenaries. Am surprised that the majority of the NY clubs, who have very little resources, do not put a stop to the mass importation of players. There is a lot more of them than the six or seven who seem to have unlimited money and good paying jobs. Five imports would be plenty and most could not even afford that. It seems your top officers come from the richer clubs and cannot separate the welfare of the board from the glory their clubs can have.

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 493 - 15/02/2017 15:17:11    1957129

Link

Replying To Gaa Fan:  "In reply to Cross Gaa: You hit the nail on the head. We saw the same thing happen here in the NACB. Philly ruined, Chicago ruined, and the Boston teams made up of mercenaries. Am surprised that the majority of the NY clubs, who have very little resources, do not put a stop to the mass importation of players. There is a lot more of them than the six or seven who seem to have unlimited money and good paying jobs. Five imports would be plenty and most could not even afford that. It seems your top officers come from the richer clubs and cannot separate the welfare of the board from the glory their clubs can have."
Agree 5 imports between sanctions and transfers would be plenty and easier to manage. We could have 3 football fields with the amount of money that we gave to players over the years. Where are all the minor board players or are they falling by the way side again. Thought minor board was strong and if so we should be developing these Players like counties do at home. Think Croke Park need to take a serious look at the situation in NY before pumping millions into a leased property run by a board that import players.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 534 - 16/02/2017 13:09:33    1957416

Link

bit early to give that list of clubs as all being in this new division. Cant see the benefit of the bottom 2 or 3 inter teams playing in this and will look to go junior A. also rumors of cork going junior as well. the 3 or 4 top intermediate teams from last year should have been playing senior football anyway with all their large talented squads and money. like how this new amalgamated division has incentive for teams that finish in the bottom half wit the "B" cup. if the rest of the clubs stand up to donegal and monaghan's disgraceful spending we could see a really competitive new look senior division.

carlow80s (Carlow) - Posts: 7 - 16/02/2017 13:41:11    1957427

Link

reply to Tractortom;
Div #1
Monaghan
Kerry
Cork
Longford
Westmeath
Rockland
Rangers
Leitrem

Div #2
Donegal
St.Barnabas
Cavan
Sligo
Mayo
Brooklyn
Tyrone

I wonder if Donegal and Monaghan were in the same division would it work better to give a new team a chance of final spot. To me Rockland, Leitrim, Rangers, Tyrone do not belong here at all. They should go to junior A and just have 3 divisions. Better for viewing

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 534 - 16/02/2017 18:04:48    1957535

Link

Would the winner of Junior A move up into senior then next year if all goes through? Agreed Donegal and Monaghan are the obvious front runners in the division, it would be nice change of pace to see a new team make it to the final, Barnanbas in particular they have done the old fashioned way hard work and loyalty by the irish americans. Speaking of which any on the panel for the Sligo game?

UP_THE_PUBS (USA) - Posts: 14 - 16/02/2017 18:32:32    1957545

Link

Anyone know the result of the vote last night regarding this proposed change? Is it going ahead?

TractorTom4 (Australia) - Posts: 14 - 17/02/2017 15:47:39    1957752

Link

was voted against by one vote 19 to 18

newyorklad (USA) - Posts: 111 - 17/02/2017 16:07:52    1957761

Link

Replying To newyorklad:  "was voted against by one vote 19 to 18"
Close vote. Heard today from a few boys that Longford and Westmeath are joining senior this year. That would be good. County players stopped aswell was another one.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 534 - 17/02/2017 18:20:57    1957791

Link

Replying To Crossgaa:  "Close vote. Heard today from a few boys that Longford and Westmeath are joining senior this year. That would be good. County players stopped aswell was another one."
What do you mean by "county players stopped as well"? Is this something being passed down by Croke Park or NY County Board?

TractorTom4 (Australia) - Posts: 14 - 21/02/2017 13:48:13    1959147

Link

Replying To TractorTom4:  "What do you mean by "county players stopped as well"? Is this something being passed down by Croke Park or NY County Board?"
County players are no longer allowed to sanction to NY. Football levels will now drop. Suites Kerry who have gotten 14 intercounty over the winter. All ready looks like a Kerry v Donegal final. It won't be much of a competition with 4 teams.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 534 - 22/02/2017 10:34:43    1959489

Link

Replying To Crossgaa:  "County players are no longer allowed to sanction to NY. Football levels will now drop. Suites Kerry who have gotten 14 intercounty over the winter. All ready looks like a Kerry v Donegal final. It won't be much of a competition with 4 teams."
What exactly defines a county player? Does he have to play championship minutes at home to be ineligible here or can a player who sat on the bench and got no game time still sanction? The term "county player" is a fairly loose term these days

Wayovertheline (Kerry) - Posts: 58 - 22/02/2017 12:47:03    1959538

Link

I seriously doubt Kerry have picked up 14 'county players' over the winter.

NYCcavanman (USA) - Posts: 202 - 22/02/2017 15:11:10    1959588

Link

Replying To Crossgaa:  "County players are no longer allowed to sanction to NY. Football levels will now drop. Suites Kerry who have gotten 14 intercounty over the winter. All ready looks like a Kerry v Donegal final. It won't be much of a competition with 4 teams."
What exactly defines a county player? Does he have to play championship minutes at home to be ineligible here or can a player who sat on the bench and got no game time still sanction? The term "county player" is a fairly loose term these days

Wayovertheline (Kerry) - Posts: 58 - 22/02/2017 21:10:21    1959692

Link

I hear westmeath going senior

standman99 (Offaly) - Posts: 72 - 22/02/2017 21:11:27    1959693

Link

what about longford?

UP_THE_PUBS (USA) - Posts: 14 - 22/02/2017 22:19:28    1959721

Link

No they lost a lot of players. Westmeath are suppose to have a good set up this year

standman99 (Offaly) - Posts: 72 - 22/02/2017 22:29:09    1959725

Link