USA Forum

NY GAA 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To NYCcavanman:  "But there would be no reason for Cavan to fold... why did they bother fielding in the intermediate final last year if they were not intending on going senior should they win? surely every team in intermediate starts out the year with the intention of winning and therefore going senior? otherwise what's the point?"
Agree Cavan should move on up after a glorious season on intermediate last year. Think they only lost one game. Cavan people are proud of ther club so hopefully they will field a senior team where they belong.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 534 - 04/04/2017 22:04:12    1975769

Link

NY v Donegal in Gaelic Park Thursday evening and Saturday evening under the lights…..should be good to see who lines out for NY and if they can compete with a county team, granted think Donegal will be fielding a lot of their bench players and u21s ……should be good thou.

NarrowBack914 (USA) - Posts: 174 - 09/04/2017 21:33:07    1977650

Link

Replying To NarrowBack914:  "NY v Donegal in Gaelic Park Thursday evening and Saturday evening under the lights…..should be good to see who lines out for NY and if they can compete with a county team, granted think Donegal will be fielding a lot of their bench players and u21s ……should be good thou."
Well there won't be any under 21s involved for us anyway as they play Dublin this Saturday in the All Ireland semi final. Considering we had 10 under 21s involved during the league it will be a much smaller squad travelling to New York. Be interested myself to see who Rory Gallagher plays.

HandballRef (Donegal) - Posts: 475 - 11/04/2017 13:37:41    1978369

Link

Anyone get to see the match last night? Who stood out for New York?

TheDigger (USA) - Posts: 50 - 14/04/2017 15:42:38    1979416

Link

Replying To TheDigger:  "Anyone get to see the match last night? Who stood out for New York?"
Got to watch the match last night, great buzz around the park. The 1 NY player that stood out for me was # 13, corner forward for NY….heard he is new arrival in town, no sure of his name but he's from Monaghan….McKenna i think. He scored 2 very nice points at the start of the match. NY didn't look to bad, but had to play to Donegal's strength which is dropping 14 men behind mid field. Thought that was crap, but i understand Donegal are in prep for the opening of the Ulster championship so they had to play to the game plan they want to use in Ulster. Did notice thou that when Donegal forwards ran at NY backs, they were always a step or 2 faster…still not a bad result against a top tier county. Thought the subs NY brought on beside Ward weren't great, think they have better players on the bench. Will be interesting to see what changes Justin makes for the 2nd match tomorrow evening. NY abu!!!

NarrowBack914 (USA) - Posts: 174 - 14/04/2017 20:20:24    1979458

Link

See the schedule for next 2 few weeks is posted on NYGAA website. Mostly Junior and Intermediate matches with 1 Senior match: NY Donegal vs Kerry on Wednesday night, take it that is in the championship to get the players qualified to play in NY v Sligo match, could be wrong though. Good to see there are matches on the near horizon, and hopefully all the talk about the park shutting down for 8 weeks doesn't happen until after the season is over.

NarrowBack914 (USA) - Posts: 174 - 14/04/2017 20:24:18    1979459

Link

Replying To NarrowBack914:  "See the schedule for next 2 few weeks is posted on NYGAA website. Mostly Junior and Intermediate matches with 1 Senior match: NY Donegal vs Kerry on Wednesday night, take it that is in the championship to get the players qualified to play in NY v Sligo match, could be wrong though. Good to see there are matches on the near horizon, and hopefully all the talk about the park shutting down for 8 weeks doesn't happen until after the season is over."
See games posted also. Are they league or championship?
Good luck to NY tonight.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 534 - 15/04/2017 15:03:47    1979565

Link

Replying To Crossgaa:  "See games posted also. Are they league or championship?
Good luck to NY tonight."
Cross, i think for the most part the junior matches would be knock out cup matches; inter and the 1 senior match might be championship to get the boys qualified for NY v Sligo match, could be wrong thou.

NarrowBack914 (USA) - Posts: 174 - 15/04/2017 19:41:15    1979690

Link

Replying To NarrowBack914:  "Cross, i think for the most part the junior matches would be knock out cup matches; inter and the 1 senior match might be championship to get the boys qualified for NY v Sligo match, could be wrong thou."
Thanks. Good to see some games again. NY looked ok in patches last night. Any views?

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 534 - 16/04/2017 19:02:30    1979924

Link

Replying To Crossgaa:  "Thanks. Good to see some games again. NY looked ok in patches last night. Any views?"
Ye - I got up to Saturday's game and thought they looked sharp and donegal really didn't hold back with their selection at all. I heard cunniffee played well on the thurs but didn't feature so hopefully he's fit for sligo. The defense looked tight - Scally was captain two years ago, thought he might have played more. It's hard to compare when you're playing against a defense with Neil mc gee, mc grath and Lacey but the fowards are lacking a tad, freeman and Luke Loughlin will be missed. Connolly took some good scores when he came on and Brian Gallagher and keith Quinn hit some peaches.
Seems a brand new foward line. The new lads like mc Kenna, mc graynor, sutclifee were sharp but weren't exceptional - Think fire power is a problem but these games will def bring them on.
I'm optimistic about May 7th.
Thoughts?

Mayohead (Mayo) - Posts: 4 - 17/04/2017 06:24:55    1980036

Link

Agree with that summary Mayohead. Was clear that Donegal were not holding back on Saturday night and you would have to say overall although beaten by 7 or 8 points they really did put it up to Donegal who are an exceptional team. You would have to think that Sligo would be a few steps below Donegal so i think they have a good chance.

Patsy1916 (USA) - Posts: 136 - 17/04/2017 14:28:40    1980139

Link

Ive been around this town for a very long time and seen some good footballers and some bad ones here. I did not go and see the matches between NY and Donegal cause I feel as though these teams coming out from Ireland do nothing for us here, they come here to raise money for there own causes back home and could care less about what happens here. Can anyone really say and know who funded the Donegal team to come out here ? Football is dying a slow death here in NY over the last ten years cause of the big money spenders who are involved with Donegal and Monaghan. The NY county wasn't what it was in the past which was made up of players who played in the NY championship years prior. This years team as well as the teams from the past five years or so was an is made up of mercenaries case closed.

NYFootball (USA) - Posts: 8 - 18/04/2017 22:23:45    1980619

Link

Just saw on the Donegal facebook page that they are playing Kerry in the championship tonight. Is it just me or does anyone else find it ridiculous that you start your season on a Wednesday night , nothing on your website whatsoever. People to just find out by accident that you have a senior game on. Presume it is just to qualify the big names for the Sligo game.Think it's time to shut up shop, no one cares any more.

GPlifer (USA) - Posts: 290 - 19/04/2017 20:34:06    1980916

Link

anyone at the Donegal v Kerry game the other night? many new faces for either team?

any update on the rumors of the park being closed in the summer?

NYCcavanman (USA) - Posts: 202 - 21/04/2017 16:21:28    1981514

Link

Two intermediate games this weekend with Longford v Mayo followed by Leitrim v Rockland. Wonder what county players are involved with these teams and will they be allowed line out

TheDigger (USA) - Posts: 50 - 21/04/2017 18:08:34    1981539

Link

Just over 10 days to the NY v Sligo game. Any buzz about the place how we looking? Looked a decent outfit against Donegal. Be great to build on our performance last year against the Rossies. That was a very memorable day and would have been even more memorable if NY had have had a little more luck on the day.

Patsy1916 (USA) - Posts: 136 - 26/04/2017 15:37:27    1982926

Link

Replying To Patsy1916:  "Just over 10 days to the NY v Sligo game. Any buzz about the place how we looking? Looked a decent outfit against Donegal. Be great to build on our performance last year against the Rossies. That was a very memorable day and would have been even more memorable if NY had have had a little more luck on the day."
I think NY had a lot of luck that day!

republican (Sligo) - Posts: 256 - 26/04/2017 16:53:01    1982946

Link

Replying To republican:  "I think NY had a lot of luck that day!"
Republican - If that is what you believe you obviously were not at the game. Had the game gone on any longer there would only have been one winner. ( Not Sligo )

GPlifer (USA) - Posts: 290 - 26/04/2017 17:48:50    1982964

Link

Replying To GPlifer:  "Republican - If that is what you believe you obviously were not at the game. Had the game gone on any longer there would only have been one winner. ( Not Sligo )"
I think it was a Sligo goalkeeper who kept you in the game pulling off a crazy number of saves. If any of those early goal chances went in the game would've took a different pattern (I was at the game)

republican (Sligo) - Posts: 256 - 26/04/2017 18:46:03    1982980

Link

jeez lad have some sense of optimism who says cadden won't be able to pull it off again.....granted they might not win (their not expected to)....but have a sense of belief.......everyone is this town is so hung up the negativity and nit-picking at NY.....what they fail to see is a team that has a legitimiate shot not to mention a home grown talent in Shane Hogan who is just as good as some of county players back at home.....NY will give it a right go and if their down by 2-3 points at half time on a slippery day at gaelic park one never knows stranger things have happened.

UP_THE_PUBS (USA) - Posts: 14 - 26/04/2017 19:25:18    1982987

Link