USA Forum

NY GAA 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Just saw a picture of Gaelic Park taken today and looks nowhere near finished. no sod down looks like a parking lot. Any idea when it should be finished?

TheDigger (USA) - Posts: 50 - 13/06/2017 19:07:18    1999269

Link

Replying To NYCcavanman:  "you just wasted more time on something you don't care about!"
No I haven't cause all I see is use posting on here almost every other day if not every day I only signed up on this sight to see what nonsense is being posted on here. Like I said before football in NY is a joke and only for people to spend money on the nonsense but if use wanna spend your hard earned on it go right ahead thats your business.

NYFootball (USA) - Posts: 8 - 13/06/2017 20:54:29    1999311

Link

Replying To NYFootball:  "No I haven't cause all I see is use posting on here almost every other day if not every day I only signed up on this sight to see what nonsense is being posted on here. Like I said before football in NY is a joke and only for people to spend money on the nonsense but if use wanna spend your hard earned on it go right ahead thats your business."
Where did Barnabas or Cork use there had earned money on Sunday?? Both teams are home based sides that just showed up to play football.
No money put into either of these teams except maybe a few pints after the match. Barnabas especially are one of the few clubs that have always gone about it the right way but hats off to Cork as well seem to have a nice home based side this year. Not everyone is about spending the large amounts of money others are putting into it.

Gaalad1 (Galway) - Posts: 8 - 14/06/2017 15:32:34    1999629

Link

Any updates on matches over the weekend? See 2 Junior hurling matches next Saturday and 4 football matches on Sunday. Take it with Rockland GAA helping NY Senior Board out with fields, that Rockland are playing every weekend in mutiple codes. Seems alot of teams havent played matches at all thou....any word on new sod at Gaelic Park?

NarrowBack914 (USA) - Posts: 174 - 19/06/2017 14:58:42    2001891

Link

Replying To NarrowBack914:  "Any updates on matches over the weekend? See 2 Junior hurling matches next Saturday and 4 football matches on Sunday. Take it with Rockland GAA helping NY Senior Board out with fields, that Rockland are playing every weekend in mutiple codes. Seems alot of teams havent played matches at all thou....any word on new sod at Gaelic Park?"
On Sunday Rockland beat Westmeath in JHC 2-10 to 0-8 and Donegal beat Monaghan 2-14 to 2-7. On Saturday Sligo beat Rockland in the Inter League Final 0-10 to 0-8 and Tipp beat Ulster in the first leg of the SHC 2-12 to 2-10. SHC has gone to a best of five because there is only two teams...

TheDigger (USA) - Posts: 50 - 21/06/2017 13:42:23    2003055

Link

Replying To TheDigger:  "On Sunday Rockland beat Westmeath in JHC 2-10 to 0-8 and Donegal beat Monaghan 2-14 to 2-7. On Saturday Sligo beat Rockland in the Inter League Final 0-10 to 0-8 and Tipp beat Ulster in the first leg of the SHC 2-12 to 2-10. SHC has gone to a best of five because there is only two teams..."
Thanks Digger, Senior hurling looks gone after this year even though junior hurling seems to be thriving. Pity used to have some great hurling matches in the park years ago.

NarrowBack914 (USA) - Posts: 174 - 21/06/2017 18:12:16    2003189

Link

New pictures on the NYGAA facebook page show a lot of progress has been made at Gaelic Park. Any word on a reopening date? How do the players like playing on Rockland's grass pitch?

TheDigger (USA) - Posts: 50 - 23/06/2017 17:05:46    2004108

Link

Replying To TheDigger:  "New pictures on the NYGAA facebook page show a lot of progress has been made at Gaelic Park. Any word on a reopening date? How do the players like playing on Rockland's grass pitch?"
Heard they are shooting for July 10th, Rockland have their grand opening the weekend of July 7th to 9th, so senior board looking to open the Monday after from talking to a couple of boys in the know. 2 junior hurling matches today and list of 4 matches tomorrow, nice to see. Word is Rockland have a very nice setup and fields up there. Maybe senior board can take a lessons from them

NarrowBack914 (USA) - Posts: 174 - 24/06/2017 19:28:33    2004403

Link

Any updates on the matches over the weekend? See on website Celtics and Donegal won the cups with impressive scorelines. Leitrim/Mayo match was tight enough by the scoreline. Also its great to see the NY U14s win Feile back in Cavan. Congrats to all involved!

NarrowBack914 (USA) - Posts: 174 - 26/06/2017 16:42:00    2005872

Link

Replying To NarrowBack914:  "Any updates on the matches over the weekend? See on website Celtics and Donegal won the cups with impressive scorelines. Leitrim/Mayo match was tight enough by the scoreline. Also its great to see the NY U14s win Feile back in Cavan. Congrats to all involved!"
Congrats to Donegal, Celtics on there victories and to the U-14 team on that huge success in co Cavan. Think Celtics and Donegal are a good bet for the double.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 534 - 26/06/2017 17:15:53    2005904

Link

Visited Gaelic Park this morning early. Turf is down, sand put down on top of it, and the rubber pellets over that. A crew was removing the excess rubber and sand bags/pallets and putting them on flat-bed trucks. Two spreaders and two motorized brushes still in place for additional grooming.
Goal posts not in place yet. It looks magnificent and has the best and most level surface I have seen. Stood on the midfield mark and could see all the markings from there, small square, end lines, and sidelines. New York are lucky to have such a place available to them. No other pitch could withstand the usage of this one. Close to 250 Gaelic games each year, men's soccer, ladies soccer, men's lacrosse, ladies lacrosse, and ladies softball.
Hopefully your games will begin again soon. Great place to visit.

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 493 - 26/06/2017 21:49:02    2006051

Link

Not enough coverage or praise for the NY Feile team which won the division 1 feile in Cavan at the weekend. Great achievement considering they have worked their way up from divisions 4 and lower over the years, with different players each year. I would expect NY to become stronger from here on in with American born players, granted a lot of them leave the game at 18 or so.

NYCcavanman (USA) - Posts: 202 - 27/06/2017 13:33:57    2006285

Link

Replying To NYCcavanman:  "Not enough coverage or praise for the NY Feile team which won the division 1 feile in Cavan at the weekend. Great achievement considering they have worked their way up from divisions 4 and lower over the years, with different players each year. I would expect NY to become stronger from here on in with American born players, granted a lot of them leave the game at 18 or so."
They should be winning that Feile every year with no problem. People come on here and praise them fro what winning something in Ireland that only the club teams in Ireland compete in. Why don't they let the two club teams that contest the u14 championship here in New York go back to Ireland and see what they win? If the club teams go back and win then they should be praised no problem and congratulate them accordingly. I also thought that the NY team should have players on it from all the clubs not just the ones where the trainer can bring a player cause he's the trainer. That is a joke your either good enough to make the team or your not, you shouldn't make the team cause your father, uncle or nephew is the coach/trainer of the team.

NYFootball (USA) - Posts: 8 - 27/06/2017 23:01:02    2006597

Link

Replying To NYFootball:  "They should be winning that Feile every year with no problem. People come on here and praise them fro what winning something in Ireland that only the club teams in Ireland compete in. Why don't they let the two club teams that contest the u14 championship here in New York go back to Ireland and see what they win? If the club teams go back and win then they should be praised no problem and congratulate them accordingly. I also thought that the NY team should have players on it from all the clubs not just the ones where the trainer can bring a player cause he's the trainer. That is a joke your either good enough to make the team or your not, you shouldn't make the team cause your father, uncle or nephew is the coach/trainer of the team."
Can't comment on who gets playing because of the manager etc. as I am not aware of it. but the point about different NY clubs competing, I get it, but the difference is most of the American boys and girls over here, GAA is maybe their 5th or 6th sport they play in the states. most of them are not good, not as good as their irish counterparts who play GAA as their number one and maybe only sport. so coming up against the likes of portlaoise, who they played in the final, of course you would need your best pick of NY boys. and portlaoise would have a pretty big pick themselves, probably as much as 3+ rural clubs around Ireland. one club in NY alone could not compete with this.

NYCcavanman (USA) - Posts: 202 - 28/06/2017 13:55:06    2006842

Link

Replying To NYCcavanman:  "Can't comment on who gets playing because of the manager etc. as I am not aware of it. but the point about different NY clubs competing, I get it, but the difference is most of the American boys and girls over here, GAA is maybe their 5th or 6th sport they play in the states. most of them are not good, not as good as their irish counterparts who play GAA as their number one and maybe only sport. so coming up against the likes of portlaoise, who they played in the final, of course you would need your best pick of NY boys. and portlaoise would have a pretty big pick themselves, probably as much as 3+ rural clubs around Ireland. one club in NY alone could not compete with this."
Must agree with NYCavanman. What a great achievement in winning the division 1 feile. As for sons of coaches and trainers getting picked. It does go on in the Feile team but its rampant in every sport that the kids play. You could send home the 2 teams that would contest the under 14 final but it would be some cost on the 2 clubs. Start them off in the higher divisions. Anyway, that's for another day. Congrats to all involved with the feile team.

hawkeye2002 (Tyrone) - Posts: 21 - 28/06/2017 14:14:59    2006866

Link

Replying To hawkeye2002:  "Must agree with NYCavanman. What a great achievement in winning the division 1 feile. As for sons of coaches and trainers getting picked. It does go on in the Feile team but its rampant in every sport that the kids play. You could send home the 2 teams that would contest the under 14 final but it would be some cost on the 2 clubs. Start them off in the higher divisions. Anyway, that's for another day. Congrats to all involved with the feile team."
Its a tournament for club teams not county teams period. You can argue this all day and night but it doesn't do much sending teams to Ireland that kids will probably never play again after there 21 bday. So sending teams to Ireland is a big waste of money.

NYFootball (USA) - Posts: 8 - 28/06/2017 23:23:57    2007181

Link

Still no schedule up for the playing season and Gaelic Park is ready. Absolute joke.

Patsy1916 (USA) - Posts: 136 - 30/06/2017 14:20:07    2007973

Link

Replying To Patsy1916:  "Still no schedule up for the playing season and Gaelic Park is ready. Absolute joke."
Schedule is up on ny-gaa website. Huge amount of games on way. I'd figure finals will run into October this year on the football side of things. Most players will have returned to college for later part of season so expect strong home base teams to there at the end.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 534 - 03/07/2017 11:34:15    2009491

Link

Any updates on the events in Rockland with their grand opening? By the website, Rockland beat Barnabas in Junior A Friday, say that was a good match.

NarrowBack914 (USA) - Posts: 174 - 09/07/2017 12:23:32    2012887

Link

Replying To NarrowBack914:  "Any updates on the events in Rockland with their grand opening? By the website, Rockland beat Barnabas in Junior A Friday, say that was a good match."
Where did you find the result of the Rockland v St. Barnabas game? I cant find any results from this weekend.
Thanks.

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 493 - 09/07/2017 16:50:18    2013118

Link