Monaghan Forum

Cavan Vs Monaghan

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Congrats to Cavan. Best team on the evening, convincing win and they will be hard to beat. They have a great chance to make the Super 8's now and I fancy them to beat Armagh.

This was always going to be a big test for Monaghan given the injuries, new set up in Cavan, breffni park factor... however I don't think there has been much mention of the loss of Jack Mc Carron. Jack had a great game against Cavan in the league and is often able to pick the right pass to get Mansy and O'Hanlon on the ball ,at the right time, and he was sorely missed. Is he out for the season or what's the status of his injury - I believe he picked up an injury in a challenge match against Westmeath? I had not realised he was injured like a lot of Monaghan fans until the day of the game.

Two other factors that are important to highlight however it's important to say up front, the best team on the evening won and if Cavan had been more clinical they could have won by more - they had a couple of good goal opportunities too during the game. They are 1. Conor Lane - as mentioned here already the penalty was a shocking decision and if you look at the Monaghan games that Conor has refereed we have had some terrible performances and results. We don't seem to be able to buy a free from Mr Lane and the players know this which impacts performance I believe. After the goal you could see it sucked the energy out of Monaghan and I think Mr. Lane had another poor evening. 7/8 points down, the limited bench... was always going to be very difficult to recover from 2. The Dog - the dog was another obvious ploy arranged by Cavan believe it or not. The dog was on the field at the end of the minor match and this was another pre planned move to introduce at the right time to give Cavan an advantage and stop Monaghan from getting any momentum - I bet that might surprise a few but I am sure of it from a reliable source. It's not the first time it has happened at Breffni. Cavan stopped play at the right times, as all good teams do (and we have often done) anytime Monaghan were getting back into it and that really made it difficult to get any momentum on the evening. I am not sure all of the injury time was added on either which is disappointing at this level - accepting more time added on would not have changed the result

Now is not the time to go against the team - it is when they actually need the supporters most. Hopefully we can get a favourable draw to enable us get our mojo back and also a few players to recover from injury and if we do, then it's all down to how much this team want it and how they perform. At our best we will be as good as anyone in the Qualifers home or away but the qualifiers are a difficult route to navigate and bring lots of uncertainty. Hopefully it's another wonderful adventure like last year and if not let's enjoy it while we can and have the post-mortem once it's all over for another year. Personally, I would like to see MOR pick his strongest team to start every game from here on in as I think the management team are too focused on having an impact from the bench - this is clearly why Mc Carthy and Duffy did not start on Saturday last - who are two of our main players now. If we are winning comprehensively that's the time to rest our star players and bring on the likes of Mc Ginn etc. Ironically if we do get a run of matches unproven players at this level are likely to see lots of game time which could be a good time. A different approach could mean a short summer and lots more rest than we would like for our star players over the summer.

OrielPower (Monaghan) - Posts: 95 - 22/05/2019 13:44:06    2186612

Link

Walsh at full back is a shout. Bit small but it is a game of inches!

GerryD (Monaghan) - Posts: 311 - 22/05/2019 13:55:35    2186614

Link

Seriously, have a word with yourself regards the dog. Totally embarrassing that nonsense.

And it's fairly common knowledge why McCarthy didn't start as he had an exam in UCD at 3pm and only finished at 5 to get down from Dublin for a 7pm throw in. Far from ideal preparation to play, never mind start.

freddie1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 7 - 22/05/2019 14:47:31    2186630

Link

Not sure I believe the dog conspiracy but it does raise and interesting point about game management. I've noticed in a lot of games recently the number of times the medical team are being called onto the pitch to treat 'injured' players. By my count the Cavan physio entered the field of play 8 times in the second half to treat players none of whom had to leave the ptich for injury reasons.

I'm not singling Cavan out for this as it's a growing trend in Football at the moment and was not helped by teams wasting time during the league when they had a player sin binned.

We can't criticise all the play acting that goes on in soccer if we don't get our own house in order. There's an assumption (and it's a correct one) that no matter how many times the physio is called on the ref will never add on all of the time so it's not suprising that teams are taking advantage.

Also football desperately needs an 'over and back' rule or a no back pass to the keeper law.

That being said Cavan were far superior to us and even though we got within 3 points I never felt for one second that we were going to get anything out of the game.

A fully fit Monaghan panel can still be a factor in this year's championship but whether that happens remains to be seen.

bluemoon (Monaghan) - Posts: 101 - 22/05/2019 15:53:11    2186643

Link

Surely if any team needed to disrupt anything in the first half it was Monaghan and they should have released the hound.... Why would Cavan, who are playing well, domination all over the field want to disrupt play? We only scored 4 points in that first half, all from frees. Cavan were flying.

I'd have another word with that "reliable source"

Tim_NicebutDim (Monaghan) - Posts: 304 - 22/05/2019 16:49:34    2186658

Link

The dog did originally go off to come back on for that minute of running around where the stewards did absolutely nothing. Last year in clones a stray ball kept going on the pitch as Kerry restarted play. It's all about gaining small margins as they say.

222 (UK) - Posts: 507 - 22/05/2019 17:37:14    2186685

Link

The dog did originally go off to come back on for that minute of running around where the stewards did absolutely nothing. Last year in clones a stray ball kept going on the pitch as Kerry restarted play. It's all about gaining small margins as they say.

222 (UK) - Posts: 507 - 22/05/2019 17:37:14    2186686

Link

Which minor match was the dog on the field at the end of??
Did someone play a minor game that I missed?
Try to get some off your"facts" right man

ginelli (Monaghan) - Posts: 42 - 22/05/2019 18:34:49    2186696

Link

Replying To ginelli:  "Which minor match was the dog on the field at the end of??
Did someone play a minor game that I missed?
Try to get some off your"facts" right man"
It was the hurling match - slip of the tongue for god's sake! The "same" dog was on the field after the whistle blew in one of the cavan hurling players arms ,and the arms of a stewart, in front of the dug out, and it was indeed a plan. If you remember correctly, Monaghan did have the ball when the dog came on and were playing catch up big time and it was important for Cavan we did not tag on too many scores before half time. Believe it or not, it was a preplanned move!

It had no impact on the result as I said previously but if Cavan do get some Super 8 games at Breffni later this year they had better come up with another plan - they will receive a hefty fine from HQ if it happens again I would suspect. Point made, can we talk about Monaghan now...

OrielPower (Monaghan) - Posts: 95 - 22/05/2019 22:19:50    2186740

Link

Replying To OrielPower:  "It was the hurling match - slip of the tongue for god's sake! The "same" dog was on the field after the whistle blew in one of the cavan hurling players arms ,and the arms of a stewart, in front of the dug out, and it was indeed a plan. If you remember correctly, Monaghan did have the ball when the dog came on and were playing catch up big time and it was important for Cavan we did not tag on too many scores before half time. Believe it or not, it was a preplanned move!

It had no impact on the result as I said previously but if Cavan do get some Super 8 games at Breffni later this year they had better come up with another plan - they will receive a hefty fine from HQ if it happens again I would suspect. Point made, can we talk about Monaghan now..."
You need to stop this now! It's total cringe and embarrassing for Monaghan, never mind you.

"Tag on too many scores..." Monaghan hadn't scored from play at that stage or indeed at all in first half. As for Monaghan been on the ball when Tactical Rover was deployed, if you mean soloing and passing it without any real pace along midfield and down the wing, you are correct. Cavan managed to hold off these attacks fine without Rover up to this point. It was hardly an essential intervention!

Seen a lot of nonsense on these boards but this is right up there.

I hear Cavan will mix it up the next day in Clones and have the flock of sheep that invaded the terraces In the Mckenna Cup game on standby.

freddie1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 7 - 23/05/2019 09:17:47    2186785

Link

The word on the grapevine here in Cavan on the dog conspiracy is slightly mixed in terms of the cynicism involved from our camp.

While there is strong talk that at the request of Mickey Graham, a few high rank members of the county board did approach 3 dogs in the locality of Breffni that were known to the county board, all 3 of those dogs declined and (much like a lot of the Monaghan players), just did not show up on the day unfortunately.

It would appear that this particular dog that did show up, just lost the run of himself on the big day that was in it..

PatTheDandy (Cavan) - Posts: 179 - 23/05/2019 14:17:31    2186892

Link

Orielpower, your Mr Lane is our Mr Hughes, remember your much maligned full back didn't give away any penalties in 2015 in spite of trying to do so with Michael Argue on several occasions during that championship game in Breffni. Also In that game James Mc Enroe was wrongfully penalised for two perfect text book tackles on your wing forward resulting in two points and your inside forward got his usual five frees for "falling over" like Madden. Didn't hear to many Monaghan people complaining then so suck it up now. I heard you guys gave Mr Hughes an Ulster medal that year!!

bunnoe1 (Cavan) - Posts: 49 - 23/05/2019 14:33:58    2186904

Link

Replying To PatTheDandy:  "The word on the grapevine here in Cavan on the dog conspiracy is slightly mixed in terms of the cynicism involved from our camp.

While there is strong talk that at the request of Mickey Graham, a few high rank members of the county board did approach 3 dogs in the locality of Breffni that were known to the county board, all 3 of those dogs declined and (much like a lot of the Monaghan players), just did not show up on the day unfortunately.

It would appear that this particular dog that did show up, just lost the run of himself on the big day that was in it.."
C'mon admit it the dog was the master plan to disrupt our onslaught pre half time

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1396 - 23/05/2019 15:08:58    2186921

Link

Replying To seanie08:  "C'mon admit it the dog was the master plan to disrupt our onslaught pre half time"
It was a bitch as it turns out, aw well that's life.

Setantawatchl (Cavan) - Posts: 116 - 23/05/2019 19:40:43    2186981

Link

I can confirm that the dog was indeed trained for the covert mission to disrupt the Monaghan madness!

The dog has been awarded a medal of honor and will be indicted to the Cavan hall of fame.

Steady Eddie Strikes Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steady_Eddie (Cavan) - Posts: 75 - 28/05/2019 14:03:33    2188511

Link

Game over. Case closed. We will move on and enjoy a long summer.

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 127 - 28/05/2019 22:15:47    2188661

Link

Replying To monaghanmad:  "Game over. Case closed. We will move on and enjoy a long summer."
So how are you enjoying summer now?

Armagh put both monaghan gaa and me out of misery for the summer

Bernardo (Monaghan) - Posts: 469 - 02/07/2019 22:14:23    2204634

Link

Replying To Bernardo:  "So how are you enjoying summer now?

Armagh put both monaghan gaa and me out of misery for the summer"
Good to see sam in Monaghan this week for the launch of the All Ireland series. 1st visit to Monaghan. Don't think he liked it there though

.tribute (Cavan) - Posts: 359 - 03/07/2019 02:39:17    2204719

Link