Monaghan Forum

Cavan Vs Monaghan

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

what has happened to the days of a forward been able to shoot from inside the 45 meter line, i remember the days of rory woods, jap damien and tommy freeman, clerkin, lennon, kicking at ease, now forwards are afraid to shoot, football is going backwards

roadrunner8o (Monaghan) - Posts: 6 - 18/05/2019 19:53:56    2185294

Link

Replying To roadrunner8o:  "what has happened to the days of a forward been able to shoot from inside the 45 meter line, i remember the days of rory woods, jap damien and tommy freeman, clerkin, lennon, kicking at ease, now forwards are afraid to shoot, football is going backwards"
Lennon and clerkin kicking with ease Jes what have you being drinking of taking with a comment like that!!

mick2007 (Monaghan) - Posts: 215 - 18/05/2019 22:20:04    2185339

Link

Replying To roadrunner8o:  "what has happened to the days of a forward been able to shoot from inside the 45 meter line, i remember the days of rory woods, jap damien and tommy freeman, clerkin, lennon, kicking at ease, now forwards are afraid to shoot, football is going backwards"
Clerkin! Remember Monaghan v down... Dick blasted it wide at close range!!!!2012 was it?

Bernardo (Monaghan) - Posts: 469 - 18/05/2019 22:25:23    2185342

Link

Whats happened is the team selection, Out of the 6 'forwards' picked I'd say 2 were actual forwards,
You can say that Carey can kick a point but he doesn't do it too often, his main role is a ball carrier.. Malone isn't a shooter but does get through a lot of dirty work and gets stuck in (No idea why he was taking off today) and Ward is similar to Carey,

It's ugly to watch, carrying the ball to the other teams 45, fist it about a bit and rely on McManus or Hughes to have a go or O'Connell to make a run off the shoulder, the system is outdated and we played right into Cavan's hands, we done exactly they wanted us to do,

I would far prefer to see a forward line made up of McManus K.Hughes, Malone (Because I do think its a good asset to have one forward who will get stuck in and carry ball etc) McCarron O'Hanlon, McGinn McCarthy to go out and play a nice attacking style of football and lose than what I saw today which just put an emphasis on the fact we have no plan B..

I'm just as grateful as the next Monaghan man for the effort and great days they have gave us but the game has moved on and we haven't moved with it, they don't owe us anything but they owe themselves more so because there is at least 2-3 ulster that have passed this team by.

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 659 - 18/05/2019 23:01:29    2185353

Link

Mention also for C.Boyle who came in and gave his all, He got a great score today and I have to say he has been very consistent, Hughes gave his all and put in a good shift considering he is back from injury and for all the worry I thought himself and Kelly were decent in midfield, K.Duffy too was good when he was brought in.

Also want to say that even though we put in a very unlike Monaghan performance with lack of bite and intensity that Cavan were fully deserving of their win, great first have with some lovely scores laid the foundations and they saw it out, like ourselves always room for improvement but they got the most important thing - the result.

With better team selections and a few players back and better structure in place for kickouts etc that appears to have gone missing this team is capable of going on a run like last year even though it's something you don't want to be in the position.

Was great to see Oisin Kiernan come back to play in championship football and our own Niall Kearns today,

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 659 - 18/05/2019 23:33:11    2185361

Link

This was posted as a new thread on the Main Forum but has been incorporated here.

coolum (1)

20/05/2019
08:40

Monaghan V Cavan

Once again I had the disappointment of watching Monaghan almost getting there. Bottom line is that scores win a match and Monaghan are simply very poor at scoring. One reason I believe is that the team is missing the services of a strong and robust full forward, who can cause some havoc in the goal area. Such a player would relieve the pressure on McManus who is very heavily marked, for obvious reasons. A dominant full forward would give McManus (and the others) much needed room. It seems to me that the manager does not see this, and relies far too much on mcManus saving the day. This is too much to expect.

Administrator (None) - Posts: 2183 - 20/05/2019 09:32:27    2185758

Link

So, the dread I'd been feeling the week before the match was well founded. My normally positive outlook towards Monaghan results had been eroded by the current spate of injuries and particularly by the lethargic performances during the league.

Little things said in the run up to this match didn't fill me with confidence either. Mickey Graham and Cavan players in the media were stating they were focusing on converting more of their shots into scores, something that was very evident from their league campaign. This was something they improved upon on Saturday. In contrast, for example, Rory Beggan when asked what went wrong in Monaghan's league campaign, said he didn't know why on The GAA Hour. Now, he could have been taking the mantra of saying nothing as many do, but it seemed genuine.

Last year, Monaghan were vibrant during the league, boldly imposing themselves despite resting established regulars and persisting with introducing new players. It reinvigorated the side and this carried over into an extended championship run. For example,last year they learned they could beat Tyrone in the league while leaving Mansy and Karl O'Connell on the bench. That must of filled them with huge confidence.

The same infusion of new players did not happen this year. Rather it was largely trying some of the same players from last year again and an over reliance on the tried and tested regulars. Other than O'Hanlon (who will be a super player), we've stood still. It's left the team stale and in need of shake up.

Monaghan were so flat and lifeless again on Saturday. Few stood up. Conor Boyle did and is now the full back for the foreseeable future. Kieran Hughes looked fresh and carried the battle. He should be stationed in the forwards and with Kearns back and Darren Hughes imminent return end of June-ish , Kieran Hughes should be facilitated back in the attack when the time is right, maybe in half forward line.

Other players need to be benched or moved. Drew Wylie ought to be tried at CHB. FB or corner back is no longer his place as he's lost a yard of pace. Karl O'Connell is off the boil and has been the whole league. Perhaps a while on the bench will motivate him? Kieran Duffy and Fintan Kelly are pillars of consistency and should occupy defensive positions. Barry Kerr leaving the panel is a loss. He's the type of player needed now.

The overall make up of our half forward line against Cavan, left us toothless. Dermot Malone is an outstanding competitor but rarely troubles the scoreboard and honestly some types of games don't suit him (e.g. he goes missing in action every time he plays Tyrone). It's like rock, paper scissors, pick the team best suited to the job against the opponent. Some games will require Malone starts. McCarron was a big miss and hopefully will be back during qualifiers. I'd love to see McGinn start at FF. He's a bustling player and has the physicality to be a great foil for Mansy. McCarthy should also be a starter too, either at CHF or more of a roving role between the lines. Shane Carey just flatters to deceive every time i see him play.

The qualifiers need to be used to shake the team up. There is a very good team if picked and organised as such. Well capable of getting to super 8's but unless management shake it up now, then the year is lost. O'Rourke has been one of Monaghan's greatest managers but unless he can see what's wrong now, then our championship campaign will be a short one.

sleater (Monaghan) - Posts: 101 - 20/05/2019 11:10:14    2185823

Link

Replying To sleater:  "So, the dread I'd been feeling the week before the match was well founded. My normally positive outlook towards Monaghan results had been eroded by the current spate of injuries and particularly by the lethargic performances during the league.

Little things said in the run up to this match didn't fill me with confidence either. Mickey Graham and Cavan players in the media were stating they were focusing on converting more of their shots into scores, something that was very evident from their league campaign. This was something they improved upon on Saturday. In contrast, for example, Rory Beggan when asked what went wrong in Monaghan's league campaign, said he didn't know why on The GAA Hour. Now, he could have been taking the mantra of saying nothing as many do, but it seemed genuine.

Last year, Monaghan were vibrant during the league, boldly imposing themselves despite resting established regulars and persisting with introducing new players. It reinvigorated the side and this carried over into an extended championship run. For example,last year they learned they could beat Tyrone in the league while leaving Mansy and Karl O'Connell on the bench. That must of filled them with huge confidence.

The same infusion of new players did not happen this year. Rather it was largely trying some of the same players from last year again and an over reliance on the tried and tested regulars. Other than O'Hanlon (who will be a super player), we've stood still. It's left the team stale and in need of shake up.

Monaghan were so flat and lifeless again on Saturday. Few stood up. Conor Boyle did and is now the full back for the foreseeable future. Kieran Hughes looked fresh and carried the battle. He should be stationed in the forwards and with Kearns back and Darren Hughes imminent return end of June-ish , Kieran Hughes should be facilitated back in the attack when the time is right, maybe in half forward line.

Other players need to be benched or moved. Drew Wylie ought to be tried at CHB. FB or corner back is no longer his place as he's lost a yard of pace. Karl O'Connell is off the boil and has been the whole league. Perhaps a while on the bench will motivate him? Kieran Duffy and Fintan Kelly are pillars of consistency and should occupy defensive positions. Barry Kerr leaving the panel is a loss. He's the type of player needed now.

The overall make up of our half forward line against Cavan, left us toothless. Dermot Malone is an outstanding competitor but rarely troubles the scoreboard and honestly some types of games don't suit him (e.g. he goes missing in action every time he plays Tyrone). It's like rock, paper scissors, pick the team best suited to the job against the opponent. Some games will require Malone starts. McCarron was a big miss and hopefully will be back during qualifiers. I'd love to see McGinn start at FF. He's a bustling player and has the physicality to be a great foil for Mansy. McCarthy should also be a starter too, either at CHF or more of a roving role between the lines. Shane Carey just flatters to deceive every time i see him play.

The qualifiers need to be used to shake the team up. There is a very good team if picked and organised as such. Well capable of getting to super 8's but unless management shake it up now, then the year is lost. O'Rourke has been one of Monaghan's greatest managers but unless he can see what's wrong now, then our championship campaign will be a short one."
No harm to you and your opinion which you are very entitled to, but if drew is too slow for full back or corner back how is he going to be any better at centre half? You have the wrong Wylie in mind. Ryan would be excellent there....... or d Hughes when he's back...... strong running hard tackling...

And maybe some of the time between now and qualifiers could be spent on teaching all the rest of them how to tackle...... never saw as many lazy half hearted attempts in one game as last Saturday

ginelli (Monaghan) - Posts: 42 - 20/05/2019 21:15:00    2186093

Link

Replying To sleater:  "So, the dread I'd been feeling the week before the match was well founded. My normally positive outlook towards Monaghan results had been eroded by the current spate of injuries and particularly by the lethargic performances during the league.

The qualifiers need to be used to shake the team up. There is a very good team if picked and organised as such. Well capable of getting to super 8's but unless management shake it up now, then the year is lost. O'Rourke has been one of Monaghan's greatest managers but unless he can see what's wrong now, then our championship campaign will be a short one."
Agree with most of your post,but need to play K Hughes at full forward. It will keep opposition more honest with alternative lines of attack. Any half smart manager can come up with a plan to defend against our one dimensional attack. With KH at full forward he needs forwards close by to pick up his broken ball or passes. On Sat. he twice won and broke ball away from 3 defenders and not a Monaghan man in sight to pick it up and score. Malachy must take blame for not freshening up team and backroom during league. Why did Vinny Corry play so much league football instead of younger players.....and then on Saturday when his presence in the last 20 minutes could have paid dividends,he was nowhere to be seen. I fear Malachy is going to leave our County team in a bad place fo r the next 5 years. The lads owe us nothing but they owe themselves redemption after that display against a very mediocre Cavan team. I believe we will get a run in the qualifiers this year but I fear for the future. Also very interesting article by Aidan O'Rourke on Monday. Worth a read.

seamusorinn (USA) - Posts: 78 - 21/05/2019 00:03:42    2186132

Link

That's s wee bit harsh on Malone but I agree with most of the rest. We need to learn the lessons of history here. When Gerry McCarvile didn't have the pace for full back anymore, we didn't throw him away, he was converted to FF and we won an Ulster title with him there. Actually. If memory serves he started the first game that C'Ship, ironically v Cavan at FB but got found out. Luckily Gerry was a very versatile footballer. MF in 79, FB in 85 and FF in 88. This management needs to be a bit more fluid in its thinking. Drew needs to be tried elsewhere, there's loads more football in him.
I don't think we can afford to have a player of his calibre on the bench. We have finally found a replacement at full back so let's release Drew further afield. I think this management puts a lot of players in boxes. He's a full back or he's a half forward. That needs to stop. Drew to MF would put Finty back to his best position. Kieran Duffy has to start the next day he handled more ball in a half than some did for the whole game and quite frankly Karl O'Connell should be sweating over his place because he's been coasting all year.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 378 - 21/05/2019 08:57:30    2186165

Link

Replying To seamusorinn:  "Agree with most of your post,but need to play K Hughes at full forward. It will keep opposition more honest with alternative lines of attack. Any half smart manager can come up with a plan to defend against our one dimensional attack. With KH at full forward he needs forwards close by to pick up his broken ball or passes. On Sat. he twice won and broke ball away from 3 defenders and not a Monaghan man in sight to pick it up and score. Malachy must take blame for not freshening up team and backroom during league. Why did Vinny Corry play so much league football instead of younger players.....and then on Saturday when his presence in the last 20 minutes could have paid dividends,he was nowhere to be seen. I fear Malachy is going to leave our County team in a bad place fo r the next 5 years. The lads owe us nothing but they owe themselves redemption after that display against a very mediocre Cavan team. I believe we will get a run in the qualifiers this year but I fear for the future. Also very interesting article by Aidan O'Rourke on Monday. Worth a read."
Hardly a very mediocre Cavan team bud. Try and give credit where it's due. Lord knows you've done very well in recent years, and as much as we wouldn't like saying it, we always gave credit to how well Monaghan has done. Cavan were very close in Division 1 this year, ran a number of teams very close and were within a few kicks of a ball in staying up. A little more fitness and more time other Graham and that could have changed. Their play in the first half the other day, and long range clinical shooting was a great sight. Many of the Kerry lads who saw them play in the league were saying online that know that this is a good Cavan side based on what they have seen and can give credit. At least don't bs yourself...

Loughduff Lad (Cavan) - Posts: 938 - 21/05/2019 10:22:02    2186198

Link

Replying To ginelli:  "No harm to you and your opinion which you are very entitled to, but if drew is too slow for full back or corner back how is he going to be any better at centre half? You have the wrong Wylie in mind. Ryan would be excellent there....... or d Hughes when he's back...... strong running hard tackling...

And maybe some of the time between now and qualifiers could be spent on teaching all the rest of them how to tackle...... never saw as many lazy half hearted attempts in one game as last Saturday"
I'd have Drew at half back or midfield, From what I hear he's very effective there with Ballybay so why not give him a go, I recall him kicking to vital points v Fermanagh and Tyrone ( Semi final) and I'd consider him to be very solid and composed on the ball, Maybe drop Walshe back into full back and have Kelly/Duffy and O'Connell either side of him?

As for his brother well imo he's be best corner back in Ireland, Tight man marker, almost sure his markers only scored 0-3 points off him from play and he marked the best in Ireland, should of had an All Star too.

I'd be all for rotation over the coming games, Give K.Hughes a go in FF when we can, Try O'Hanlon off the bench, McManus at Half forward, Give Bannigan/McGinn, as having a bit of balls and making these changes can be the difference in winning and not.

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 659 - 21/05/2019 13:54:55    2186308

Link

Replying To Loughduff Lad:  "Hardly a very mediocre Cavan team bud. Try and give credit where it's due. Lord knows you've done very well in recent years, and as much as we wouldn't like saying it, we always gave credit to how well Monaghan has done. Cavan were very close in Division 1 this year, ran a number of teams very close and were within a few kicks of a ball in staying up. A little more fitness and more time other Graham and that could have changed. Their play in the first half the other day, and long range clinical shooting was a great sight. Many of the Kerry lads who saw them play in the league were saying online that know that this is a good Cavan side based on what they have seen and can give credit. At least don't bs yourself..."
Cavan full value for their win and well deserved. I've rarely been as accepting of a defeat based on the other team just being better .... even if it is our arch rivals. Cavan have a great chance to go to the final. Reilly, McKiernan, Veety and Faulkner all class acts. No sour grapes here .... with with Cavan anyway. Well done.

Mon79 (Monaghan) - Posts: 79 - 21/05/2019 16:23:04    2186346

Link

Replying To MonaghanGlory:  "I'd have Drew at half back or midfield, From what I hear he's very effective there with Ballybay so why not give him a go, I recall him kicking to vital points v Fermanagh and Tyrone ( Semi final) and I'd consider him to be very solid and composed on the ball, Maybe drop Walshe back into full back and have Kelly/Duffy and O'Connell either side of him?

As for his brother well imo he's be best corner back in Ireland, Tight man marker, almost sure his markers only scored 0-3 points off him from play and he marked the best in Ireland, should of had an All Star too.

I'd be all for rotation over the coming games, Give K.Hughes a go in FF when we can, Try O'Hanlon off the bench, McManus at Half forward, Give Bannigan/McGinn, as having a bit of balls and making these changes can be the difference in winning and not."
If we're going to insist that drew must play somewhere, and in the spirit of rotation and adventure, why not try drew as the loose man in defence to plug the gaps? In my opinion he's too slow now for midfield but as a spare man he may have enough strength presence and reading of the game to cover the others.
I still think Ryan would be a better option at 6, or Darren when he's back.
Maybe a spell on the bench for karl adds somebody else proposed and finty back in defence where he is best.
I'd be in favour of giving Kieran a proper go at ff, but only if they're gonna get proper early ball into him that he can best use.

Also, does any one else have a problem with the closed shop nature of the squad? What incentive is there for a young club player when he knows the squad won't change again till December?

ginelli (Monaghan) - Posts: 42 - 21/05/2019 23:29:14    2186483

Link

Replying To Loughduff Lad:  "Hardly a very mediocre Cavan team bud. Try and give credit where it's due. Lord knows you've done very well in recent years, and as much as we wouldn't like saying it, we always gave credit to how well Monaghan has done. Cavan were very close in Division 1 this year, ran a number of teams very close and were within a few kicks of a ball in staying up. A little more fitness and more time other Graham and that could have changed. Their play in the first half the other day, and long range clinical shooting was a great sight. Many of the Kerry lads who saw them play in the league were saying online that know that this is a good Cavan side based on what they have seen and can give credit. At least don't bs yourself..."
Get back to me at the end of June on that "bud". Should you not be over hallucinating with the rest of your "buds" on the Cavan forum?

seamusorinn (USA) - Posts: 78 - 22/05/2019 00:36:11    2186490

Link

Replying To MonaghanGlory:  "I'd have Drew at half back or midfield, From what I hear he's very effective there with Ballybay so why not give him a go, I recall him kicking to vital points v Fermanagh and Tyrone ( Semi final) and I'd consider him to be very solid and composed on the ball, Maybe drop Walshe back into full back and have Kelly/Duffy and O'Connell either side of him?

I'd be all for rotation over the coming games, Give K.Hughes a go in FF when we can, Try O'Hanlon off the bench, McManus at Half forward, Give Bannigan/McGinn, as having a bit of balls and making these changes can be the difference in winning and not."
Agree 100% with you.

seamusorinn (USA) - Posts: 78 - 22/05/2019 00:38:05    2186492

Link

Replying To seamusorinn:  "Agree 100% with you."
Maybe get to the root of the problem and try a new management and get some new young players in. It''s starting to feel like E McEnaney tenure around 2011 ... when I, and many others, stopped attending Monaghan matches for a while.

Mon79 (Monaghan) - Posts: 79 - 22/05/2019 11:11:43    2186561

Link

Replying To Mon79:  "Maybe get to the root of the problem and try a new management and get some new young players in. It''s starting to feel like E McEnaney tenure around 2011 ... when I, and many others, stopped attending Monaghan matches for a while."
A lot of messages on the match but simple truth is the players weren't ready for it didn't look up for it and haven't looked up for it since the defeat to Tyrone. Almost like they reached a ceiling last August and since then are just going through the motions. Cavan were vastly superior to us in a footballing and physical sense and only they backed off in second half could have won by a double figures margin. Its like 1989 all over again.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1396 - 22/05/2019 11:42:37    2186574

Link

Replying To Mon79:  "Maybe get to the root of the problem and try a new management and get some new young players in. It''s starting to feel like E McEnaney tenure around 2011 ... when I, and many others, stopped attending Monaghan matches for a while."
Young players have been tried in the league and mc kenna cup. Players done well in the mc kenna cup but would they anything better then what is already there, not a chance. It was plain to be seen some players were either to small/light in the league and werent' strong enough to compete at such a high level. MOR wants the best for monaghan but there isnt good enough players there to push monaghan forward. Its based on pure hard work and the individual class of some players. Its up to the same guys again and even at that, some players are not good enough. Midfield wasnt an issue last saturday, monaghan won this area. Scoring dynamic forwards was the problem, same again last year against tyrone and fermanagh. Monaghan dont have these.

222 (UK) - Posts: 507 - 22/05/2019 12:50:23    2186598

Link

Replying To 222:  "Young players have been tried in the league and mc kenna cup. Players done well in the mc kenna cup but would they anything better then what is already there, not a chance. It was plain to be seen some players were either to small/light in the league and werent' strong enough to compete at such a high level. MOR wants the best for monaghan but there isnt good enough players there to push monaghan forward. Its based on pure hard work and the individual class of some players. Its up to the same guys again and even at that, some players are not good enough. Midfield wasnt an issue last saturday, monaghan won this area. Scoring dynamic forwards was the problem, same again last year against tyrone and fermanagh. Monaghan dont have these."
Of course MOR wants the best for Mon. We all do. But we are all deserving of our own opinion. And my opinion is that MOR has lost too many winnable games in recent years to still be in that position. Have referenced style of play and conservative nature of same elsewhere. I am one of those who would prefer a change after 7 years. And see where that leads. To start just McManus and O'Hanlon as our only "scoring" forwards on Sat night (McCarthys exam aside) was an incredible move for All ireland semi finalists. Would Dublin, Mayo, Kerry, Donegal, the "new" Tyrone or even defensive Galway have done that? No chance. As I say, feels like 2011 again. Would love to be proved wrong. Hope I am .

Mon79 (Monaghan) - Posts: 79 - 22/05/2019 13:36:33    2186609

Link