Kildare Forum

Kildare 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Very one sided report by Marty Morrissey on the news at 1 there. I couldn't believe how biased it was and very much pushing the Croke Park/GAA line. Kildare's position and views weren't mentioned at all.

Ulsterman (Antrim) - Posts: 9203 - 26/06/2018 13:31:34    2115369

Link

Thank God for Kildare !!! Stand up to the top brass at the top table. Its more than just a fixture. I for one am sick of the idea of an even more elite Super 8 structure which certainly means a weaker county will never ever get to semi final. Not that that would ever happen in any case previously based on the shambles that is this current 'competition' structure. I love Gaelic Football, I love the Longford footballers and their commitment, but I could not bring myself to Pearse Park last week because it would be like a turkey voting for Christmas. If we beat Kildare, we are just prolonging our death. Someone has to shout stop. STOP attending matches, hit GAA at the gate receipts, only then will meaningful change happen. Have an Intermediate championship and a senior championship each year. And we'd have some crack. And I'd go to every game! Is it just me, Or is this whole inter county Gaelic Football scene like ground hog day year in year out. I cant even bring myself to look at it on the telly its so boring cause the results are a foregone conclusion. I can only watch it at Quarter final stage, That will now be Semi final stage from now on thanks to the Super 8 league. Yawn.

arjuna (Longford) - Posts: 88 - 26/06/2018 14:25:51    2115410

Link

Well done Kildare county board and management team ye have done yer county proud.

I'm delighted for ye, now go and beat Mayo.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 9856 - 27/06/2018 20:38:51    2116137

Link

Team is named. Johnny Byrne for Murray probably the only decision you could argue with. Sad for Niall Kelly that him being left out isn't seen as a big deal but he just hasn't done enough this year to make himself indispensable.

Mayo strong favourites regardless of where the match is played but fingers crossed the lads can pull off a shock. Cill Dara Abu !

KildareKelly (Kildare) - Posts: 589 - 30/06/2018 00:20:35    2116810

Link

Replying To KildareKelly:  "Team is named. Johnny Byrne for Murray probably the only decision you could argue with. Sad for Niall Kelly that him being left out isn't seen as a big deal but he just hasn't done enough this year to make himself indispensable.

Mayo strong favourites regardless of where the match is played but fingers crossed the lads can pull off a shock. Cill Dara Abu !"
Yeah Niall really isn't delivering this year, still I think he's still only 24. Hopefully he'll make an impact from the bench.

House sold but got my ticket! Hope all the die hard lilies were able to get theirs too. Need to do twice as much shouting this evening.

St.Conleth (Kildare) - Posts: 1592 - 30/06/2018 12:31:01    2116844

Link

What can I say lads, a truly remarkable week for ye, well done and enjoy the spoils.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7701 - 30/06/2018 22:52:46    2116996

Link

Great performance last night. Everyone to a man stood up and played their part in a brilliant win. This whole week will hopefully give us back some belief in ourselves. We need to keep our feet on the ground now and push on next week. Given where we started from, reaching the super 8s would be massive.

kildare73 (Kildare) - Posts: 836 - 01/07/2018 10:36:27    2117101

Link

Congrats Kildare on a well deserved win. That defeat for us was coming in hindsight....weird to be out of it this early but sure we will be back.

Good luck for the remainder of the championship...hope Ye make the super 8s.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9902 - 01/07/2018 18:17:40    2117311

Link

Fantastic stuff from the lads. Seems almost a shame to pick anyone out cos they all (including the subs) brought something.....but at the same time I think it would be wrong not to mention Paul Cribbin individually. He was simply immense.
I think the boost from winning a tight game in Longford at the death & then everything that happened this week triggered something in them. We all knew how talented these lads were but they were underachieving, no doubt about it.
This week will live long in the memory for everyone regardless of what happens now but in terms of the development of this team, they simply have to win the Round 4 game or it won't have meant much.

With 2 wins for the u20s, one for the Minors & the Juniors winning the Leinster Final, it's 6 wins out of 6 in the last week on the field...and one massive win off the field. What a week !!

KildareKelly (Kildare) - Posts: 589 - 02/07/2018 08:08:36    2117484

Link

What a day it was lads. Id been saying all week that it would be tight and Kildares bench would win it. A very special win for me as my missus is from Mayo :) .

Some shift put in by everyone but wasn't that a serious performance Paul Cribbin put in. A proud lily again and cant wait to go again next weekend.

Caoimhog88 (Kildare) - Posts: 68 - 02/07/2018 08:27:23    2117486

Link

Fermanagh in the next round. We will have a good rattle off them anyway. They play very defensively so it will be an interesting game. Im sure they will be physical also but i dont think our boys are afraid of a bit of rough and tumble now.

Any reports on how we are looking injury wise?. Will be a few lads sore after the hard ground last weekend id say?. I saw cathal mcnally doing a fitness test before the game on Saturday. Any news on him being fit?. A great man to come in and sneak a goal or take a few points for us.

Caoimhog88 (Kildare) - Posts: 68 - 02/07/2018 12:20:01    2117642

Link

Surprised that Cathal wasn't even named on the panel for Saturday last. Must be carrying some sort of injury. Hasn't featured much since Meath game last year where he played an absolute blinder. Very honest player, always works his socks off, would love to see him play.

St.Conleth (Kildare) - Posts: 1592 - 02/07/2018 19:42:27    2117890

Link

Replying To St.Conleth:  "Surprised that Cathal wasn't even named on the panel for Saturday last. Must be carrying some sort of injury. Hasn't featured much since Meath game last year where he played an absolute blinder. Very honest player, always works his socks off, would love to see him play."
He did a fitness test before the game. Spoke to one of his friends before the start to ask what was the craic with him and he said he had a hamstring problem. Hopefully hell be back for the next game. Hopefully hell be fit for sunday

Caoimhog88 (Kildare) - Posts: 68 - 03/07/2018 08:23:35    2117990

Link

Outstanding performance on Saturday from the lads. Too often (the last few years in particular) we have lost tight games with the finishing line in sight. It was great to see the team with a bit of fight and bottle the last 2 days out to win tight battles which were in the melting pot. Paul Cribbin was excellent from start to finish. Thought the bench played their part, Healy and Slattery were brilliant when introduced, ran at Mayo when they were tiring. Callaghan of course showed all his experience with the vital score in the last minute. Great week to be a Kildare man, plenty of resolve and fight displayed by this group of players. Fermanagh will be another tough game (and we generally don't do the favourites tag very well). Big weekend ahead with the U20's v Dublin in the Leinster final, Juniors in the All-Ireland semi final and the minors V Wicklow in the leinster semi final. This is what this time of year is all about. CillDaraAbu

ShortGrass_1 (Kildare) - Posts: 223 - 05/07/2018 13:11:33    2118815

Link

Great win for the u20's, in control from start to finish. Should have been at least 8 points ahead at ht. We haven't progressed minor wins through to 21 or 20 as much as we should so great to see this bunch with both leinsters.

St.Conleth (Kildare) - Posts: 1592 - 06/07/2018 21:42:39    2119227

Link

Great win last night for the U20's. Jimmy Hyland was excellent as per usual, kicked some brilliant scores off the left. Podge Nash was excellent as well at centre forward before being taken off (I assume it was because he picked up a yellow in the first half). Aaron O'Neill looks a very assured goal keeper, kick outs were very good and he was decent under the high ball, also made a great save in the first half when Dublin were ahead. Roll on Kerry

ShortGrass_1 (Kildare) - Posts: 223 - 07/07/2018 10:36:56    2119301

Link

Hard to believe we are where we are....amazing turnaround from the lads. Huge credit due to all of them & Cian and his backroom team. The atmosphere on Saturday was just great,.,.the ovations the lads being taken off got was something to see.
The difference between that game & Carlow was astonishing. Fermanagh set up the same way but aggressive running & quick, direct ball beats defensive football every time. The lads were just waiting for things to happen v Carlow - now they are making things happen.
Game over by half time & all our big players taking off early to rest the legs, especially good for those with knocks. Moolick took a few big hits Saturday night & Feely still isn't 100% fit for me. Any word on Niall Kelly, if he's going to be available this weekend ?
Monaghan next. Being realistic, it's one both teams have to win cos if you lose the first game & then have Galway & Kerry to come, you are in trouble.

Anyway, exciting times !!

KildareKelly (Kildare) - Posts: 589 - 09/07/2018 08:18:30    2119851

Link

Monaghan now next weekend lads. After seeing them in the league im struggling to see how fermanagh beat them. I think this game will be a lot tougher than the Femangah game but i hope the hard games against longford and mayo stand to us.

Caoimhog88 (Kildare) - Posts: 68 - 09/07/2018 08:30:26    2119855

Link

Sorry lads but can't see anything but a Monaghan win with a lot to spare. Apart from maybe Daniel Flynn no kildare player would get close to this monaghan team.

Mona1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 21 - 12/07/2018 15:33:46    2121041

Link

Replying To Mona1:  "Sorry lads but can't see anything but a Monaghan win with a lot to spare. Apart from maybe Daniel Flynn no kildare player would get close to this monaghan team."
That's fair, you can have an opinion, don't apologize. I for one just think you're very, very wrong but that's okay too.

Sweetspot (Kildare) - Posts: 146 - 12/07/2018 15:47:21    2121045

Link