Galway Forum

Galway Football 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Unfortunately it looks like Kevin is going to stick around, was in attendance at the U20 CF last Wednesday night.
Galway have a serious pipeline of young players coming through, if Kevin stays on these guys will start to get exposed to the toxic brand of 'football' that Kevin is insisting on.
He basically coaches the football out of players you just need to look at the performances of Ian Burke or Shane Walsh in this years Championship as evidence of this. Flair or individuality is not tolerated. If he does stay on you can copy and paste all the comments on this forum to this time next year because nothing will have changed. Like 2019, 2020 will be another wasted year.

Fr_Tod_Unctious (Galway) - Posts: 90 - 14/07/2019 10:54:59    2210591

Link

Replying To Fr_Tod_Unctious:  "Unfortunately it looks like Kevin is going to stick around, was in attendance at the U20 CF last Wednesday night.
Galway have a serious pipeline of young players coming through, if Kevin stays on these guys will start to get exposed to the toxic brand of 'football' that Kevin is insisting on.
He basically coaches the football out of players you just need to look at the performances of Ian Burke or Shane Walsh in this years Championship as evidence of this. Flair or individuality is not tolerated. If he does stay on you can copy and paste all the comments on this forum to this time next year because nothing will have changed. Like 2019, 2020 will be another wasted year."
Yet both of those players you mentioned done quite well in their performances in 2018 to the extent that one won an All-Star while the other was agreed and widely acknowledged upon should have also won an All-Star as well. Interesting...

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 255 - 14/07/2019 11:59:36    2210617

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "Yet both of those players you mentioned done quite well in their performances in 2018 to the extent that one won an All-Star while the other was agreed and widely acknowledged upon should have also won an All-Star as well. Interesting..."
I wonder how many all stars we'll be nominated for and win this year?! You're unwavering loyalty to KW is admirable but given he's had 5 years in the job and we're now in serious decline, perhaps the cheerleading can stop now and we can give another capable, qualified management team the helm. We need change. 5 years of negative football, bar perhaps two games that were notable exceptions, is quite enough.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 140 - 14/07/2019 21:34:08    2211029

Link

Replying To togoutlads:  "I wonder how many all stars we'll be nominated for and win this year?! You're unwavering loyalty to KW is admirable but given he's had 5 years in the job and we're now in serious decline, perhaps the cheerleading can stop now and we can give another capable, qualified management team the helm. We need change. 5 years of negative football, bar perhaps two games that were notable exceptions, is quite enough."
While I wouldn't mind if KW got another year, I won't lose the plot if he goes. I'm just not inclined to automatically assume that our fortunes are going to explode onto another higher level if someone else is brought in.

Nor am I going to indulge in the level of overreaction that sees statements like "we are in serious decline" bandied about the place. Serious decline to me would be freefalling down to Division 3/4 and losing consecutive games in the Championship with minimal of effort.

Of course peoples opinions on the subject vary.

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 255 - 14/07/2019 21:46:53    2211035

Link

Replying To johnjoe21:  "And the best thing you can do is stay away from the keyboard with your negative whining, Kevin has done more for football in this county than you or your fellow faceless hurlers on the ditch put together."
As a player Walsh was fantastic and an absolute legend and will always be thought of in the highest regard. However it's as clear as day to anyone who knows anything about football that his time is up as Galway manager. He may have 1 year left on his contract but for the future of Galway football every dog in the street knows we will be in a much better position if he's gone. He is not up to it. Simple as that. He has to go.

zidane (Galway) - Posts: 271 - 15/07/2019 02:46:29    2211122

Link

Yes it looks like KW intends on sticking around for 2020 which will probably go along the lines of the past few seasons which were major disappointments.
With KW at the helm how could any reasonable person think 2020 is going to be any different? The apathy and defeatism that has crept into the supporters is as bad as the football team itself.
When will the supporters say enough is enough?
Time for a change

Galway4ever (Galway) - Posts: 81 - 15/07/2019 04:08:01    2211123

Link

Anyone watching Cork play would have seen players playing with passion and aggression. I think Galway need to take a good look at a team like Cork who are developing a very good structured team so are actually able to defend and attack. Even with a defensive system we can't keep teams out anymore.

At the minute I feel Cork have passed Galway and Mayo with regards footballing abilities and this has come from hard work and a vision.

Too many players from Galway are guaranteed their place because of the way they have played in the past rather than the present.

Jim Gavin doesn't keep anyone on who's not going well or giving away cheap frees costing a team games.

hughsie (Galway) - Posts: 11 - 15/07/2019 08:45:37    2211153

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "While I wouldn't mind if KW got another year, I won't lose the plot if he goes. I'm just not inclined to automatically assume that our fortunes are going to explode onto another higher level if someone else is brought in.

Nor am I going to indulge in the level of overreaction that sees statements like "we are in serious decline" bandied about the place. Serious decline to me would be freefalling down to Division 3/4 and losing consecutive games in the Championship with minimal of effort.

Of course peoples opinions on the subject vary."
The right new management can take us to another level of performance. It happens time and time again, across multiple codes. It's more than worth trying vs. the potential risks involved.
If we persist with Kevin and keep doing the same things we've been doing for 5 years, you can expect the same results we've always got - a few wins and some momentum built through the league followed by a reality check or full capitulation in the championship.
We are in serious decline. Highly credible, experienced writers in the mainstream media have us sliding down the rankings from No. 2 at peak (which we never truly merited at the time) to No. 12 to 15 now. That's a pretty serious decline. And while those rankings are more qualitative than quantitative in nature, if you want to look at just a few raw stats, just go through our championship results this year. Further, our in-game collapses are happening as opposing teams figure out our 'system' some 20-40 mins into the game and they realise we've no cut to our attack, as we implement KW's outdated lateral, ponderous build up. The game has already morphed and moved on. I'm certain that Galway will not win anything playing that system, simply as it's so easy to figure out and defend against.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 140 - 15/07/2019 10:20:34    2211214

Link

Nothing will change with KW in charge. He's shown that he's very stubborn. There will be no great change in how we play suddenly.

Teams are putting up huge scores now while we are back playing football from 7 or 8 years ago.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1660 - 15/07/2019 12:41:48    2211308

Link

Replying To togoutlads:  "The right new management can take us to another level of performance. It happens time and time again, across multiple codes. It's more than worth trying vs. the potential risks involved.
If we persist with Kevin and keep doing the same things we've been doing for 5 years, you can expect the same results we've always got - a few wins and some momentum built through the league followed by a reality check or full capitulation in the championship.
We are in serious decline. Highly credible, experienced writers in the mainstream media have us sliding down the rankings from No. 2 at peak (which we never truly merited at the time) to No. 12 to 15 now. That's a pretty serious decline. And while those rankings are more qualitative than quantitative in nature, if you want to look at just a few raw stats, just go through our championship results this year. Further, our in-game collapses are happening as opposing teams figure out our 'system' some 20-40 mins into the game and they realise we've no cut to our attack, as we implement KW's outdated lateral, ponderous build up. The game has already morphed and moved on. I'm certain that Galway will not win anything playing that system, simply as it's so easy to figure out and defend against."
Good post "togoutlads". 5 years is more than enough to give a management team. The players at this stage could do with a change of voice, new ideas etc to bring a freshness and creativity to their play, which will facilitate maximising the qualities of the existing player pool. There is no doubt that a lot of the older players in the current squad have an attachment to Kevin Walsh as they have experienced the other side of the coin where they were regularly getting flogged by Mayo in Connacht and lamely exit the c'ship soon after. At least under Kevin they have tasted some success even though when the stakes were raised later on in the c'ship, Galway have gone out with a whimper.
In order for Galway to really compete with the Top3-4 teams in the country, they need to change tact and bring in a management team with the vision, tactical nous and ambition to aim for the top and bring all the players with him. Galway has had plenty of success at a national level between under 21 and Corofin over recent times so there is clearly quality there. However there is still a huge amount of quality coaching needed to develop these players further. One only has to look at our current approach to one-to-one defending to appreciate that. The likes of David Morris and John Divilly would be good candidates on the coaching side to work as part of a high performing coaching ticket. Lets hope Kevin can take stock and appreciate that it could be time to step away. He should be proud of where he has brought Galway but it now needs someone else to bring it further.

galway2015 (Galway) - Posts: 12 - 15/07/2019 15:09:21    2211399

Link

This is not about Mr Walsh. If he stays on okay, I can live with that. I would like him though to try and go back to Galway's traditional kick and catch game. Let him look at videos of the All Ireland teams of 1998 and 2001.
There must be a push also to try and grow the game in Galway city. There is no Galway city club represented on the County board. This must change.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1659 - 15/07/2019 19:00:13    2211535

Link

Advocating for a return to 1998 football is like someone from Australia looking at their rugby team and saying they need to play like the team that won the 1991 World Cup. The game has moved on massively lads. Go and watch the 1998 final, you see guys taking scores on the 45 and the man "marking" them is 6 yards away shadowing him like its a non contact basketball game. Tyrone changed the sport in 2003 and its gone 5 levels higher since. Move with the times. Catch and kick is dead. We need to be mimicking how Donegal and Kerry play in 2019 not how Galway did it 20 years ago

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 261 - 16/07/2019 14:08:18    2211880

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Advocating for a return to 1998 football is like someone from Australia looking at their rugby team and saying they need to play like the team that won the 1991 World Cup. The game has moved on massively lads. Go and watch the 1998 final, you see guys taking scores on the 45 and the man "marking" them is 6 yards away shadowing him like its a non contact basketball game. Tyrone changed the sport in 2003 and its gone 5 levels higher since. Move with the times. Catch and kick is dead. We need to be mimicking how Donegal and Kerry play in 2019 not how Galway did it 20 years ago"
the Galway team of last year were not too far away from what you suggest and with some balancing and likely a new coach and possibly backroom team that is achievable imo. whether kw is the man to oversee it i am not so sure

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 539 - 16/07/2019 14:52:36    2211896

Link

The kick the ball back to the keeper from the half way line, is not the Galway way to play. It is not part of the culture. Kicking the ball into the full forward is.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1659 - 16/07/2019 18:48:53    2212002

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Advocating for a return to 1998 football is like someone from Australia looking at their rugby team and saying they need to play like the team that won the 1991 World Cup. The game has moved on massively lads. Go and watch the 1998 final, you see guys taking scores on the 45 and the man "marking" them is 6 yards away shadowing him like its a non contact basketball game. Tyrone changed the sport in 2003 and its gone 5 levels higher since. Move with the times. Catch and kick is dead. We need to be mimicking how Donegal and Kerry play in 2019 not how Galway did it 20 years ago"
And to be brutally honest, that style of "lovely football" only has us 3rd in honour roll. If we're firing up the DeLorean, you'd be better off adopting Kerrys approach instead!

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 255 - 16/07/2019 19:22:20    2212020

Link

Heard that KW is going to make his intentions known by the weekend...not sure how true this is.

gaillimhboy (Galway) - Posts: 249 - 17/07/2019 00:26:38    2212160

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "And to be brutally honest, that style of "lovely football" only has us 3rd in honour roll. If we're firing up the DeLorean, you'd be better off adopting Kerrys approach instead!"
There's definitely a lot to be said for going back to core elements of our own footballing style and brand. It shouldn't be dismissed. Yes, modern defensive work is at a much higher level but that's a given. Attacking football is what we've done best in the past and should be at the foundation of potential success in the future. It's something we've abandoned recently and we're reaping the sorry rewards of that now.
Our original Galway style "Only has us 3rd in the honour roll" says you, well I tell you that ain't bad out of 31 counties plus London and NY playing in the championship! If we're to stay 3rd in future, we'd need to start making plans (starting through our clubs and underage) to win a few in future and consolidate our position there. Playing back pass, fear-filled football with no attacking strategy will win us Zero titles - of that I'm certain. Let's face it, looking at the roll of honour thing, catching the two ahead of us is pretty much impossible, with Kerry on 37 all Irelands and Dublin on 28. Galway's 9 All Ireland's are less than a quarter and a third respectively of the two ahead of us. Let's try and build on those nine a bit. Right now, I don't see the plan or ambition to do that.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 140 - 17/07/2019 10:34:16    2212245

Link

Is it Saturday the 27th off July the the galway u20s will be playing the all Ireland semi final.

bud14 (Galway) - Posts: 294 - 18/07/2019 22:58:18    2212991

Link

Moving forward Galway should have a new management team in place asap. As many of the current players on panel confidence has been damaged beyond repair new blood should be brought in to freshen things up. Stephen Rochford, PJ and Divilly would give us the new energy and leadership that we so sadly lack at the moment.

Galway4ever (Galway) - Posts: 81 - 23/07/2019 19:20:41    2215402

Link

Please go Kevin Walsh you've subjected the football public to 5 years of negativity where the numbers attending games has fallen year on year. Nobody wants to watch this brand of football when we have players available that can do so much more than retreat behind the 45. It's easy to say the players should be held accountable too that they should have been able to play ball up front against Mayo but if you've spent 5 years on the backfoot you can't just flick a switch and tell lads to do the opposite. What would be wrong with setting up like Roscommon do and pack the middle leaving 3 or 4 up front? Walsh Comer and Burke moving inside the 45 and the middle area packed with players that can actually make contact in the tackle and not wave at the opposition and wander around pretend tackling (like what Roscommon do) Slow the ball coming in and go man to man at the back. You'll soon find out who your defenders are then when you don't have 13 lads inside the 45 making sure you don't get exposed. Need a change.

WolfeTone (Galway) - Posts: 123 - 25/07/2019 12:02:17    2216218

Link