Galway Forum

Intermediate Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Toman:  "Agree on ur point about Thomas Murphy. Himself and Austin O Connell are probably the 2 best refs around at moment. They come to a pitch with a neutral persona, which is nice to see. Now in fairness they are also human and will get the odd call wrong. Nut like some regs who seriously need a reality check"
Absolutely, hopefully they make it onto the bigger stage, been a long time since Galway had a high profile football ref getting big games.

dontlookback (Galway) - Posts: 151 - 15/09/2019 23:07:02    2235869

Link

Replying To mise87:  "Big win for the willies, should have won it by more I think, I can't get over how poor Aran are up front they are so 1 dimensional, it's a change from their league game plan and their plan in last years football, very easy to defend.
I felt the needed to get up this year or they never will, with the talent they have it's hard to say it but their ship has sailed, only 1 up next year and 2 seniors taking the drop this year, it'll be very difficult

They should beat clifden but their heads are hanging and losing can become a habit if they allow it.

2 west teams favourites for promotion and 2 other west teams in the relegation final!!!"
Have Aran not recently started putting their midfielder, Brennan, up full-forward? Might explain it if they are just pumping long ball into him all the time. Think he got a couple goals for the Galway juniors up full-forward but it can get very predictable if you do it all the time.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1661 - 16/09/2019 11:54:19    2236021

Link

Replying To Marooned:  "Have Aran not recently started putting their midfielder, Brennan, up full-forward? Might explain it if they are just pumping long ball into him all the time. Think he got a couple goals for the Galway juniors up full-forward but it can get very predictable if you do it all the time."
He was at midfield v Williamstown had his hands full with there big midfielder,Aran defenders couldn't handle kelly who kicked 8 points 5 from play and set up the 2 goals

Thelastword (Galway) - Posts: 33 - 16/09/2019 23:48:05    2236422

Link

Aran beat Clifden by 2 points. Islanders save themselves. Clifden down to junior.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1661 - 22/09/2019 16:34:42    2238285

Link

Wins for Michael Breathnach and a huge win for Oughterard.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1661 - 22/09/2019 16:38:42    2238287

Link

MB v Oughterard final will be interesting. Seen a lot of each other the past two years and always close games.

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 169 - 23/09/2019 11:27:43    2238466

Link

Replying To Townee2018:  "MB v Oughterard final will be interesting. Seen a lot of each other the past two years and always close games."
Heard half of them are leaving the Country. Not so important this year as promotion is secured. 3 Clubs from the Gaeltacht promoted in the last 2 years...

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1621 - 23/09/2019 16:59:00    2238594

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "Heard half of them are leaving the Country. Not so important this year as promotion is secured. 3 Clubs from the Gaeltacht promoted in the last 2 years..."
What 3 Gaeltacht Clubs have been promoted in the last 2 years ?

dontlookback (Galway) - Posts: 151 - 24/09/2019 03:22:45    2238670

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "Heard half of them are leaving the Country. Not so important this year as promotion is secured. 3 Clubs from the Gaeltacht promoted in the last 2 years..."
And not a good county player between them ...

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 119 - 24/09/2019 08:12:11    2238676

Link

Replying To dontlookback:  "What 3 Gaeltacht Clubs have been promoted in the last 2 years ?"
Could be senior clubs from James/Michael's all the way out as far as An Ceathrú Rua next year!

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 604 - 24/09/2019 09:11:25    2238685

Link

Replying To The_DOC:  "Could be senior clubs from James/Michael's all the way out as far as An Ceathrú Rua next year!"
The west's awake

MairtinTomSean (Galway) - Posts: 4 - 24/09/2019 10:40:07    2238708

Link

Replying To The_DOC:  "Could be senior clubs from James/Michael's all the way out as far as An Ceathrú Rua next year!"
How about a Senior Championship Group of James's, Michael's, SK, Moycullen, Killannin and Oughterard, all West Board Clubs all on the N59 *

dontlookback (Galway) - Posts: 151 - 25/09/2019 07:26:17    2238959

Link

Intermediate county final this year is going to be a bit of a non event tbh in comparison to last years do or die drama. Both teams have already reached their goal of the year which was to get back up senior. A run in the connacht championship and a chance at emulating spiddals achievements last year, i suppose is the only carrot that they will be playing for.

fearruanua (Galway) - Posts: 291 - 25/09/2019 10:05:16    2238992

Link

Replying To fearruanua:  "Intermediate county final this year is going to be a bit of a non event tbh in comparison to last years do or die drama. Both teams have already reached their goal of the year which was to get back up senior. A run in the connacht championship and a chance at emulating spiddals achievements last year, i suppose is the only carrot that they will be playing for."
Both these clubs have a long & varied history between them on the pitch and their last meeting was a game of two halves in the Group stages so I wouldn't consign it to the bin just yet. Bragging rights, a County title and a shot at a Connacht/ All Ireland aren't exactly insignificant on a list of Club honours. Expect a tentative defensive game until the 2nd half and then it should cut loose into a high grade game of Senior standard, or they could just go at it from the throw in !!!

dontlookback (Galway) - Posts: 151 - 25/09/2019 12:32:43    2239036

Link

Replying To hopballref:  "And not a good county player between them ..."
Sure No Club has any good County player!

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1621 - 25/09/2019 13:23:54    2239065

Link

Replying To dontlookback:  "Both these clubs have a long & varied history between them on the pitch and their last meeting was a game of two halves in the Group stages so I wouldn't consign it to the bin just yet. Bragging rights, a County title and a shot at a Connacht/ All Ireland aren't exactly insignificant on a list of Club honours. Expect a tentative defensive game until the 2nd half and then it should cut loose into a high grade game of Senior standard, or they could just go at it from the throw in !!!"
Maybe, and i hope it's the latter and both teams just go at it from the throw in , but you have to admit, the fact that both clubs have already been promoted,will definitely take from the county final. Win, mighty!! Lose, sure what harm we've still achieved our main goal of going senior. It just won't have the same tension and bite that a winner takes all match would have.

fearruanua (Galway) - Posts: 291 - 25/09/2019 13:52:54    2239080

Link

Replying To dontlookback:  "Both these clubs have a long & varied history between them on the pitch and their last meeting was a game of two halves in the Group stages so I wouldn't consign it to the bin just yet. Bragging rights, a County title and a shot at a Connacht/ All Ireland aren't exactly insignificant on a list of Club honours. Expect a tentative defensive game until the 2nd half and then it should cut loose into a high grade game of Senior standard, or they could just go at it from the throw in !!!"
I still think getting rid of two senior deadwood teams and replacing them with two up and coming teams is the right thing to do. Its just a pity that the county final will suffer as a result.

fearruanua (Galway) - Posts: 291 - 25/09/2019 14:00:49    2239086

Link

Replying To hopballref:  "And not a good county player between them ..."
Rest assured in any galway forum we will see people post nasty comments for the sake of it.

It must be awful disliking people you dont know for no good reason.

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 985 - 25/09/2019 14:08:38    2239088

Link

Replying To fearruanua:  "I still think getting rid of two senior deadwood teams and replacing them with two up and coming teams is the right thing to do. Its just a pity that the county final will suffer as a result."
Fair comment but it's a rare if not unique occasion, the other option was to have the losing Intermediate finalists play the bottom Senior team to decide relegation which would've been unfair on the Intermediate side imo.
And I expect a good to very good final, despite the lack of added bite of do or die in promotion terms, if I'm wrong I'm buying the pints!!!

dontlookback (Galway) - Posts: 151 - 25/09/2019 17:06:34    2239150

Link

Replying To dontlookback:  "Fair comment but it's a rare if not unique occasion, the other option was to have the losing Intermediate finalists play the bottom Senior team to decide relegation which would've been unfair on the Intermediate side imo.
And I expect a good to very good final, despite the lack of added bite of do or die in promotion terms, if I'm wrong I'm buying the pints!!!"
I would say neither team is celebrating going Senior yet. Full concentration on winning the final is all they will be thinking about. Should be a good match but Oughterard seem to be peaking at right time.

MeAlone (Galway) - Posts: 14 - 25/09/2019 18:37:11    2239180

Link