Galway Forum

Football Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To JDF:  "Many of last years minor impressing in the championship?

I know Cathal Sweeney did well for Salthill last weekend."
Oisin Gormley has looked very good for Bearna. I'd say he is a nightmare to mark. Extremely nippy corner fwd.

Don't know where Sweeney will end up playing positionally. Tends to stick to the forwards for seniors but at underage plays a sort of lee keegan style position bombing on from wingback role. Maybe thats just because at minor level SK are fairly blessed in the forwards at the minute.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 265 - 19/08/2019 14:58:12    2227527

Link

Replying To JohnJohnC:  "Claregalway have put themselves in with a good shout of getting the coveted 3rd place spot in Group 2. However i'm going to go out on a limb here and say that St.James were robbed. 1 perfectly good goal disallowed for a push that didn't happen, and another for an off the ground that might have been more justifed but I've seen them givin before. Poor quality match but highly entertaining."
would have to agree. some harsh decisions against james'
wasnt impressed by the quality overall and fear for claregalway v corofin out next

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 541 - 19/08/2019 17:18:01    2227597

Link

Not sure why anyone would fear for claregalway? They are pretty much through already with 6 points from 3 games and a hammering of Leitir Moir in the bag.

I attended the game last night in my capacity as an order of Malta volunteer. Compelling viewing played in a manly spirit. Flashes of quality on both sides particularly from Johnny Duane, Danny Cummins, and Rohan from Claregalway. Claregalway are a very young outfit and play with a certain naïveté. A few more experienced heads would do them no harm but they are good to watch, with a particularly dynamic half back line.

James' looked in trouble early on and a more experienced side would have had them buried by half time.

Charlie (Kerry) - Posts: 436 - 19/08/2019 21:47:12    2227687

Link

Amazing that the assault by a fan on the referee after the game hasn't been mentioned several people witnessed it

minor77 (Galway) - Posts: 41 - 19/08/2019 23:00:13    2227727

Link

Replying To minor77:  "Amazing that the assault by a fan on the referee after the game hasn't been mentioned several people witnessed it"
Hardly an assault.. I seen it and thought the Ref was auditioning for a role in Fair City

JohnJohnC (Mayo) - Posts: 14 - 20/08/2019 08:10:46    2227755

Link

Replying To JohnJohnC:  "Hardly an assault.. I seen it and thought the Ref was auditioning for a role in Fair City"
I also saw it and it was a disgraceful assault on an official that left him very dazed and disorientated. Not sure what u were looking at. Even after the incident the referee and his officials were treated to a torrid abuse leaving the field.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 181 - 20/08/2019 09:38:29    2227778

Link

Who will join Corofin and Claregalway.. Tuam potentially?

Peilpeilpeil (Galway) - Posts: 1 - 20/08/2019 10:08:18    2227792

Link

Replying To Toman:  "I also saw it and it was a disgraceful assault on an official that left him very dazed and disorientated. Not sure what u were looking at. Even after the incident the referee and his officials were treated to a torrid abuse leaving the field."
I dont know what game u were looking at but after the game all i seen was claregalway fans shaking the refs hand

ballybanetaliban (Galway) - Posts: 1 - 20/08/2019 10:12:47    2227794

Link

Replying To ballybanetaliban:  "I dont know what game u were looking at but after the game all i seen was claregalway fans shaking the refs hand"
Well some people only see what they want. I stand by what I saw ie the referee been struck from side. The Claregalway medical staff got him to his feet after treating him. He looked extremely dazed. The verbal abuse the officials got leaving the field by some not all was disgusting to say the least.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 181 - 20/08/2019 10:22:31    2227797

Link

Replying To JDF:  "Many of last years minor impressing in the championship?

I know Cathal Sweeney did well for Salthill last weekend."
Sweeney for Salthill was outstanding, bright future ahead of him.
Would love to see more minors coming through and preforming for clubs. Is the likes of Warren Seoige a current top class Galway minor playing preforming for leitirmore in the championship?

OGraddy123 (Galway) - Posts: 1 - 20/08/2019 10:23:09    2227798

Link

Any other clubs looking like they will put it up to Corofin this year?

TrueMaroon1978 (Galway) - Posts: 2 - 20/08/2019 10:24:07    2227799

Link

Replying To TrueMaroon1978:  "Any other clubs looking like they will put it up to Corofin this year?"
Nobody has got up near Corofin's usual level, so for Corofin not to win the championship they would have to come back to the pack at a surprising rate. Annaghdown were the most likely to beat them if you had asked people at the start of the championship but Annaghdown missing comer and burke amongst others are bombed out now. I was at Moycullen V Mountbellew and other than some good individual performances especially Peter Cooke there was nothing there that day to suggest either of those will put it up to Corofin this season and they would be the next two most likely to make the final i would say. Salthill if they can keep the core of players now aged 17-22 together might be contenders in a couple of years but i think 10 in a row is very achievable for Corofin based on their age profile and what i see the other contenders doing at the minute.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 265 - 20/08/2019 11:09:45    2227818

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Nobody has got up near Corofin's usual level, so for Corofin not to win the championship they would have to come back to the pack at a surprising rate. Annaghdown were the most likely to beat them if you had asked people at the start of the championship but Annaghdown missing comer and burke amongst others are bombed out now. I was at Moycullen V Mountbellew and other than some good individual performances especially Peter Cooke there was nothing there that day to suggest either of those will put it up to Corofin this season and they would be the next two most likely to make the final i would say. Salthill if they can keep the core of players now aged 17-22 together might be contenders in a couple of years but i think 10 in a row is very achievable for Corofin based on their age profile and what i see the other contenders doing at the minute."
I would of thought at the start of the year that mountbellew moylough were the best equipped team to challenge Corofin. Albeit they play a negative brand of football that is the only way they can compete with corofin. Maybe that defeat against moycullen might be the kick they need to bring their game to the next level. Moycullen do have some very good individuals and could be a last 4 team but similar to a lot of teams they just have too many passengers.

TrueMaroon1978 (Galway) - Posts: 2 - 20/08/2019 11:37:29    2227829

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Nobody has got up near Corofin's usual level, so for Corofin not to win the championship they would have to come back to the pack at a surprising rate. Annaghdown were the most likely to beat them if you had asked people at the start of the championship but Annaghdown missing comer and burke amongst others are bombed out now. I was at Moycullen V Mountbellew and other than some good individual performances especially Peter Cooke there was nothing there that day to suggest either of those will put it up to Corofin this season and they would be the next two most likely to make the final i would say. Salthill if they can keep the core of players now aged 17-22 together might be contenders in a couple of years but i think 10 in a row is very achievable for Corofin based on their age profile and what i see the other contenders doing at the minute."
10 in a row , wow I hope for the sake of Galway football that this never comes close to happening !
Could see a lot of players in some clubs losing interest and maybe fans losing interest

galwayXI (Galway) - Posts: 63 - 20/08/2019 14:47:18    2227905

Link

Replying To OGraddy123:  "Sweeney for Salthill was outstanding, bright future ahead of him.
Would love to see more minors coming through and preforming for clubs. Is the likes of Warren Seoige a current top class Galway minor playing preforming for leitirmore in the championship?"
He's U17 and therefore ineligible to play adult club.

Donaldtrump (Galway) - Posts: 77 - 20/08/2019 17:21:06    2227957

Link

Replying To OGraddy123:  "Sweeney for Salthill was outstanding, bright future ahead of him.
Would love to see more minors coming through and preforming for clubs. Is the likes of Warren Seoige a current top class Galway minor playing preforming for leitirmore in the championship?"
He is ya.... Considering he is ineligible... SMH

whoop_hero (Galway) - Posts: 59 - 22/08/2019 14:39:57    2228540

Link

Was in pearse stadium for clonberne and Oughterard game which was a good game and stayed on for the killianin and Mountbellew game !
Have to say once again the refereeing display was terrible ! Killiain would of been more suited to a rugby pitch the carry on out of them ! Pulling,dragging , hitting off the ball and ref and linesman blind to all of this !
Killiainin must of assigned someone to pull , drag and hang out of m Daly all game and the ref either didn't see it or just let it go , I don't know how m Daly didn't turn around a few times and hit his man !
Overall the last few games I've been at the refereeing has been shocking !
Maybe there could be more training done with the refs or does anyone know how often they train?

galwayXI (Galway) - Posts: 63 - 25/08/2019 10:57:11    2229118

Link

Replying To galwayXI:  "Was in pearse stadium for clonberne and Oughterard game which was a good game and stayed on for the killianin and Mountbellew game !
Have to say once again the refereeing display was terrible ! Killiain would of been more suited to a rugby pitch the carry on out of them ! Pulling,dragging , hitting off the ball and ref and linesman blind to all of this !
Killiainin must of assigned someone to pull , drag and hang out of m Daly all game and the ref either didn't see it or just let it go , I don't know how m Daly didn't turn around a few times and hit his man !
Overall the last few games I've been at the refereeing has been shocking !
Maybe there could be more training done with the refs or does anyone know how often they train?"
Was also at the Mountbellew v Killanin game and the Ref was very lenient, but he got no help from the 4 umpires or two linemen. Mountbellew also heavily involved in the dark arts.

GDL (Galway) - Posts: 344 - 25/08/2019 13:01:53    2229149

Link

Replying To GDL:  "Was also at the Mountbellew v Killanin game and the Ref was very lenient, but he got no help from the 4 umpires or two linemen. Mountbellew also heavily involved in the dark arts."
Wasnt at the game myself but I did here about the pulling out of daly. Heard that heaney was also being pulled off the ball too and the ref let it go for the entire game. No protection for players

Also heard the mountbellew goal came from most players being distracted by the fact there was a fight in the middle of the pitch involving at least 6 players. Linesman made his way way and the umpire from behind the kilanin goal was half way obviously thinking the ref has to blow the whistle. only to have to run back because the ref ran past the players and two mountbellew lads played on. No kilanin man in their half of the pitch (fight was up the other side) only the keeper.

Imagine 6 + players involved and rolling on the ground and the ref runs past

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 985 - 25/08/2019 15:33:17    2229179

Link

Interesting call by the ref to ignore the shemozzle. Technically incorrect but maybe it might encourage less shemozzling if teams felt that they need to be conscious of the flow of the game. Having said that i do sympathise with killanin as it was a pivotal score.. but the better team won anyhow.

anotheralias (Galway) - Posts: 61 - 25/08/2019 16:29:15    2229186

Link