Galway Forum

Galway vs Wexford (hurling)

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Gailimh abu happy tonight though going up i taught we would win pulling away which we kinda did. To win all Ireland we will have to play better

heartbroken (Galway) - Posts: 287 - 02/07/2017 22:13:18    2009254

Link

Brilliant win yesterday-congrats to all.

Whats up with Jason Flynn-he didn't even follow his man yesterday. He was whipped off after his man scored a point and young Monaghan leveled him with a shoulder then-wrongly booked.

Mannion for Flynn the next day and then as you were I'd expect. Its great to have such a settled team.

Thought we were a big ropey/casual at the back for the goal.

Concern we don't score goals but could be due to sweepers-the eye sore of hurling.

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 875 - 03/07/2017 10:20:05    2009421

Link

Replying To lowballplease:  "Brilliant win yesterday-congrats to all.

Whats up with Jason Flynn-he didn't even follow his man yesterday. He was whipped off after his man scored a point and young Monaghan leveled him with a shoulder then-wrongly booked.

Mannion for Flynn the next day and then as you were I'd expect. Its great to have such a settled team.

Thought we were a big ropey/casual at the back for the goal.

Concern we don't score goals but could be due to sweepers-the eye sore of hurling."
Well done lads, I'd have no complaints, the best team deservedly won. It MIGHT have been a bit more interesting if we'd scored the penalty, it was a huge boost to Galway and they put the game to bed in the following 10 - 15 minutes.
I hope for your sake the lads can keep up that level of intensity and point-taking. If they do, and with C Mannion back on board, the world is your oyster !!

yelowbelly (Wexford) - Posts: 360 - 03/07/2017 10:40:20    2009454

Link

Replying To yelowbelly:  "Well done lads, I'd have no complaints, the best team deservedly won. It MIGHT have been a bit more interesting if we'd scored the penalty, it was a huge boost to Galway and they put the game to bed in the following 10 - 15 minutes.
I hope for your sake the lads can keep up that level of intensity and point-taking. If they do, and with C Mannion back on board, the world is your oyster !!"
Did you see a penalty infringement there, yelowbelly? I saw a referee dying to give it, but I didn't see the penalty infringement. If you contrast the physical contact on the Wexford player for that penalty, to the 'riding' that Whelan took all day for very few frees, it really leaves one shaking the head, as to what referees are looking at. As an 'outsider' in Leinster, and a geographical 'outsider' in 'hurling country', we seem to have frequent difficulties getting a fair shake from southernish referees. It didn't matter yesterday, but it has mattered in the past, and will no doubt matter again in the future.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2299 - 03/07/2017 11:46:44    2009500

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "Did you see a penalty infringement there, yelowbelly? I saw a referee dying to give it, but I didn't see the penalty infringement. If you contrast the physical contact on the Wexford player for that penalty, to the 'riding' that Whelan took all day for very few frees, it really leaves one shaking the head, as to what referees are looking at. As an 'outsider' in Leinster, and a geographical 'outsider' in 'hurling country', we seem to have frequent difficulties getting a fair shake from southernish referees. It didn't matter yesterday, but it has mattered in the past, and will no doubt matter again in the future."
Sorry Pope, I only came on here to congratulate a fine Galway team on a deserved win yesterday, not to get into a slagging match about referees.
No, I didn't see the incident clearly, being about 100 metres away in the lower Hogan,nor have I watched any TV highlights or replays.

yelowbelly (Wexford) - Posts: 360 - 03/07/2017 12:35:49    2009557

Link

A good win and nice to be in the Semi-Final. Tjought Wexford were terrible in the second half and I wasn't really impressed with them at all. Galway didn't really have their best performance, but it's a good sign that they still won so convincingly without ever really coming out of second gear. I think they'll need to play a lot better the next day out. The Physicality of the forwards is a joy to behold though. The Cooneys, Niall Burke and Whelan gave the full back line fits. I thought Galway deserved about 5 or 6 frees that they weren't given

Kinvara (Galway) - Posts: 27 - 03/07/2017 13:55:27    2009624

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "Did you see a penalty infringement there, yelowbelly? I saw a referee dying to give it, but I didn't see the penalty infringement. If you contrast the physical contact on the Wexford player for that penalty, to the 'riding' that Whelan took all day for very few frees, it really leaves one shaking the head, as to what referees are looking at. As an 'outsider' in Leinster, and a geographical 'outsider' in 'hurling country', we seem to have frequent difficulties getting a fair shake from southernish referees. It didn't matter yesterday, but it has mattered in the past, and will no doubt matter again in the future."
No infringement what so ever!! The ref was the only one who saw a penalty. Shocking decision but great save from Callanan.

VictorMeldrew (Galway) - Posts: 93 - 03/07/2017 14:59:22    2009683

Link

Replying To yelowbelly:  "Sorry Pope, I only came on here to congratulate a fine Galway team on a deserved win yesterday, not to get into a slagging match about referees.
No, I didn't see the incident clearly, being about 100 metres away in the lower Hogan,nor have I watched any TV highlights or replays."
Well, have a look at it, yelowbelly, and then give some consideration to the type of 'huge boost' the referee felt we'd get from his rush to award 'it'.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2299 - 03/07/2017 16:03:33    2009748

Link

Wexford were very very poor yesterday. They caught Kilkenny on the hop when Richie Hogan was having an off day. They wont win anything any time soon... Galway were decent though. The strength of the forwards is a joy to watch. Ive been saying it for years, get big strong lads and get them lifting big huge weights, get them catching high call, and you have yourself an All Ireland winning team. Niall Burke, Joe Cooney & Conor Cooney are 3 of the strongest players Galway ever had. If we can keep the 15 starters healthy then we will be hard bet. Flynn needed that kick up the backside yesterday and it sould do him the world of good. Thomas Monaghan did well when he came on too which was encouraging.

clare_sparrow (Galway) - Posts: 271 - 03/07/2017 16:48:33    2009808

Link

Great result. keep positive, no need to criticize anybody. Its just the time to instill confidence nothing else. MD knows how to place the team. Well done to Joe and CW for their willingness to take the punishment and play for the team. Your finest hour lads!

SixtiesKid (Galway) - Posts: 124 - 03/07/2017 17:41:56    2009843

Link

Good win for Galway got the job done in the end.
Very poor first half display particularly from the forward line. With the exception of Conor Cooney most of them hardly hurled a ball.
Hopefully Cathal Mannion is back soon he is a massive loss. I would have J.Flynn starting every day of the week. Maybe he didn't play well the last day but was brilliant in league final and has a touch of class. Hopefully his confidence wont be dented after being dropped before the game, starting because of Mannion injury and then taken off. It could have been any of the forwards bar Cooney taken off. A forward line with himself and Mannion is a far stronger one. Best forward line: J.Cooney, J.Canning, J.Flynn, Whelan, C.Cooney, C.Mannion
No goals again. Need to work on this as they wont score 29 points against stronger teams.
Championship is wide open. Don't particularly like everyone talking Galway up. Waterford, Kilkenny, Tipp can all beat Galway on their day. Clare and Cork certainly won't fear us.
Having said that it is the best Galway team in a number of years. Physically stronger and more mature. Lets hope they deliver on their potential.

Gmon (Galway) - Posts: 98 - 03/07/2017 17:56:20    2009853

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "Well, have a look at it, yelowbelly, and then give some consideration to the type of 'huge boost' the referee felt we'd get from his rush to award 'it'."
Like I said earlier Pope, I only came on here to congratulate a fine team on a well deserved win.
If you want to bitch about the referee, then go right ahead and do so.

And while you're at it, have another good look at the 2 cowardly, late hits on Lee Chin.

Good luck

yelowbelly (Wexford) - Posts: 360 - 03/07/2017 17:59:18    2009857

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "Well, have a look at it, yelowbelly, and then give some consideration to the type of 'huge boost' the referee felt we'd get from his rush to award 'it'."
Your at it again Pope.... give the lad a break for crying out loud. Can you just take the gratitude he is giving you in his message?? He wasnt the referee yesterday and yes indeed it wasn't a penalty but thats the way the game has gone in recent years with the speed and tempo etc...
One poor decision went against us yesterday for that peno.... we got away with it. If it was GAL who won the peno in similiar circumstances you wouldnt be complaining, would you? People on this forum did rightfully mention last week that Lyons would let alot go (and sometimes I wondered had he a whistle yesterday) but as regards the poor sportsmanship you are showing the Yellowbelly..... leave it out will ya. Take the gratitude and squeeze your stress ball!

TribalCharlie (Galway) - Posts: 151 - 03/07/2017 18:16:58    2009863

Link

Super win while playing well within themselves. Really believe there is a lot more to come from this bunch. impressed with their composure and they all hurled with an assurance that they knew what they we at as a team\panel\management.

Yes we need to keep a lid on the expectations 29 years and waiting ............ but its hard not to get excited that this bunch could end the famine.

thecut (Galway) - Posts: 308 - 03/07/2017 18:23:41    2009867

Link

Weĺl it's nice to participate in the hype!!
But on reflection we have beaten Dublin,div 2 next year,offaly div whatever,and wexford promoted to div 1.
Not trying to burst the bubble but no div 1 team beat yet,so let everyone be realistic!!!

cornetto (Galway) - Posts: 223 - 03/07/2017 20:12:59    2009907

Link

Weĺl it's nice to participate in the hype!!
But on reflection we have beaten Dublin,div 2 next year,offaly div whatever,and wexford promoted to div 1.
Not trying to burst the bubble but no div 1 team beat yet,so let everyone be realistic!!!

cornetto (Galway) - Posts: 223 - 03/07/2017 20:57:33    2009952

Link

Replying To yelowbelly:  "Like I said earlier Pope, I only came on here to congratulate a fine team on a well deserved win.

And while you're at it, have another good look at the 2 cowardly, late hits on Lee Chin.

Good luck"
Fair play YB, and dead right.

There's only one thing worse than a sore loser and that's a sore winner.

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2750 - 03/07/2017 21:18:05    2009973

Link

It's going to be very hard for Galway to avoid the favorite tag now, even though in reality we've only beaten a weak Dublin, a woeful Offaly, and a rookie Wexford side. We haven't been tested in the Championship by any of the big guns (Cork and Waterford in particular, but I still wouldn't rule out KK) and with each passing game our win over TIpp in the league is looking less impressive as they struggle to put a team together.

Some cracking games ahead, that's for sure.

Hopefully this provincial title will make our case for home games a wee bit stronger.

Gaillimh Abu!

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2750 - 03/07/2017 21:22:02    2009981

Link

Is Johnny Glynn still involved?

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1024 - 03/07/2017 22:26:42    2010020

Link

Replying To yelowbelly:  "Like I said earlier Pope, I only came on here to congratulate a fine team on a well deserved win.

Good luck"
Yelowbelly, Wexford were far from angels yesterday so cut that crap. A wild pull across Canning shortly before he went off and a dig with the hurl on the head of one of the Galway backs which prompted Michael Duignan to wonder about the damage players would suffer if they weren't wearing helmets were 2 "highlights" from Wexford.

Ailteoir (Galway) - Posts: 762 - 03/07/2017 23:50:10    2010066

Link