Galway Forum

Galway vs Wexford (hurling)

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To sliotharfan:  "How are people fairing out with tickets? All we can seem to be offered all week are upper hogan and upper cusack.. Also why isn't the hill open this Sunday? Only 30000 for the dublin westmeath game last sunday and it was open."
Was offered two lower Hogans last night back in the pub so I gladly took them. Before that all I could find online was Upper Hogan and Upper Cusacks. Pity the Hill wasn't open - a lot of the local young lads back the club do prefer to go on the Hill for the bitta craic and of course the cheaper ticket prices.

NathinButSteel (Galway) - Posts: 115 - 28/06/2017 14:14:13    2006864

Link

Replying To TouchOfClass:  "Lyons is OK, let's it flow a little, prone to the odd mistake (sent off C Cooney last year on a straight red later rescinded), was the man-in-charge of League Final recently when we contained Tipperary, he does not punish tight honest-to-God hurlers - should suit both sides"
Looking for ticket for Sundays match - must be lower deck ( cant see match from upper deck). Will drive anywhere to pay and collect. Am based in Co Wicklow. Many thanks 0879225712

liam123 (Galway) - Posts: 9 - 28/06/2017 14:17:09    2006873

Link

Are the team training tonight?

grellans89 (Galway) - Posts: 251 - 28/06/2017 14:54:12    2006914

Link

Are the team training tonight?

grellans89 (Galway) - Posts: 251 - 28/06/2017 14:56:41    2006917

Link

Replying To grellans89:  "Concert on that's why no hill 16 for the game.
I have a season ticket so have a great seat right at center field so unsure of how punters buying tickets are fairing. Expect a big loud crowd from Wexford if it goes over 45k I'd be very surprised. Remember Wexford park wasn't even sold out the last game"
Apparently 30,000 tickets have been sold here in Wexford alone

https://www.facebook.com/wexgaa/posts/1317010858347719:0

Wexfjord (Wexford) - Posts: 29 - 28/06/2017 16:28:18    2006982

Link

Replying To Wexfjord:  "Apparently 30,000 tickets have been sold here in Wexford alone

https://www.facebook.com/wexgaa/posts/1317010858347719:0"
Great stuff expect 15k to 20k galway

grellans89 (Galway) - Posts: 251 - 28/06/2017 22:32:35    2007159

Link

Replying To grellans89:  "Great stuff expect 15k to 20k galway"
up to 35000 sold now in wexford the new model wexican army is on the march for sunday

gusseraneman (Wexford) - Posts: 521 - 29/06/2017 01:44:58    2007219

Link

Looking forward to this. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lee Chin picking up either David Burke or JC. I expect some real welting near the start and Galway are going to have to weather a bliztkreig first 10 mins or so. I always see some people dismissing Wexford on the back of their League Semi Final defeat which would be a mistake. Wexford were very much in that game for 60 mins and Tipp pulled clear near the conclusion with a goal slightly against the run of play and in addition to a lucky goal straight from the throw in.

WunderBar (Galway) - Posts: 234 - 29/06/2017 10:34:22    2007316

Link

Replying To gusseraneman:  "up to 35000 sold now in wexford the new model wexican army is on the march for sunday"
Wexford wont win. they will bottle it. have been thinking about it all week. Il be backing Galway at -4

clare_sparrow (Galway) - Posts: 271 - 29/06/2017 10:52:06    2007330

Link

Pity father time caught up with Ger Farragher. He would be a phenomenal addition Sunday. Wexford will crowd the defence and I could hardly think of a better man out the field to pop them over from 70 or 80 yards. Would take untold pressure of JC.

Look, a man can dream but that popped into my head. I feel as if Galway coming into this game slightly under the radar. Not that I am complaining but a lot of the talk is Wexford related.

Really looking forward to the weekend now.

CraigHans11 (Galway) - Posts: 69 - 29/06/2017 12:21:29    2007385

Link

Replying To gusseraneman:  "up to 35000 sold now in wexford the new model wexican army is on the march for sunday"
Do that many live in Wexford? They all natives?

Triffic (Galway) - Posts: 60 - 29/06/2017 15:23:09    2007510

Link

Replying To Triffic:  "Do that many live in Wexford? They all natives?"
149000 living in Wexford.... plenty left behind to mind the house!
On a serious note, looking forward to this game more than ever now. Will there be a team announced tonight?

TribalCharlie (Galway) - Posts: 151 - 29/06/2017 17:31:49    2007585

Link

Replying To CraigHans11:  "Pity father time caught up with Ger Farragher. He would be a phenomenal addition Sunday. Wexford will crowd the defence and I could hardly think of a better man out the field to pop them over from 70 or 80 yards. Would take untold pressure of JC.

Look, a man can dream but that popped into my head. I feel as if Galway coming into this game slightly under the radar. Not that I am complaining but a lot of the talk is Wexford related.

Really looking forward to the weekend now."
Yeah, if there was nothing more to hurling than just popping them over.

Anyway we have a Farragher-like player on the team for Sunday. His name is Jason Flynn.

PoolSturgeon (Galway) - Posts: 1313 - 29/06/2017 21:23:05    2007699

Link

Hopefully things will go well on sunday, first 20 mins. will be hectic. Still not convinced about some of our defenders ability to cope with speedy forwards in the wide open spaces of Croke Park. If the management team can win a Leinster and All Ireland title with 5 of the first 15 playing Intermediate hurling in the county, it will be some achievement. We live in hope.

dontknow (Galway) - Posts: 262 - 30/06/2017 09:19:50    2007818

Link

Replying To dontknow:  "Hopefully things will go well on sunday, first 20 mins. will be hectic. Still not convinced about some of our defenders ability to cope with speedy forwards in the wide open spaces of Croke Park. If the management team can win a Leinster and All Ireland title with 5 of the first 15 playing Intermediate hurling in the county, it will be some achievement. We live in hope."
Thats a very good point. With all the talk of how good the Galway senior hurling championship is - and it is exceptional... It is a total anomaly that so many intermediate players are considered better then the senior players. If 1 or 2 you would say much but 5+ is exceptional. Senior club hurling is miles apart from intermediate in so many ways, most of the senior clubs in Galway now are not far off the level in the intercounty set up wheras the intermediate clubs are more or less on a par with Junior teams or where senior was at 25 years ago. That said I would still have McInerney, N Burke, Callanan, Whelan in my team...

clare_sparrow (Galway) - Posts: 271 - 30/06/2017 09:44:07    2007824

Link

Replying To clare_sparrow:  "Thats a very good point. With all the talk of how good the Galway senior hurling championship is - and it is exceptional... It is a total anomaly that so many intermediate players are considered better then the senior players. If 1 or 2 you would say much but 5+ is exceptional. Senior club hurling is miles apart from intermediate in so many ways, most of the senior clubs in Galway now are not far off the level in the intercounty set up wheras the intermediate clubs are more or less on a par with Junior teams or where senior was at 25 years ago. That said I would still have McInerney, N Burke, Callanan, Whelan in my team..."
I think it's a stupid point. Whelan is one of our top players. Callanan is a top keeper. McInerney is new to no6, and has done extremely well so far. Hanbury & Niall Burke didn't start the league final, when we were picking from a full deck. It is a very silly point imo to suggest that Whelan & Callanan contribute to a limitation in the team, because of the level of club hurling they play at.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2299 - 30/06/2017 10:06:20    2007835

Link

Replying To clare_sparrow:  "Thats a very good point. With all the talk of how good the Galway senior hurling championship is - and it is exceptional... It is a total anomaly that so many intermediate players are considered better then the senior players. If 1 or 2 you would say much but 5+ is exceptional. Senior club hurling is miles apart from intermediate in so many ways, most of the senior clubs in Galway now are not far off the level in the intercounty set up wheras the intermediate clubs are more or less on a par with Junior teams or where senior was at 25 years ago. That said I would still have McInerney, N Burke, Callanan, Whelan in my team..."
sparrow - a whole gaggle of Intermediate players will be upset you compared them to Juniors rather than seniors, probably player Minor A and U21A for their clubs but with numbers dwindling they find their senior outfit just cannot make the breakthrough - I would compare Intermediate more with Senior B - am sure someone out there will let us know how many junior and intermediate players won celtic crosses with Kilkenny these past 10/15 years - it's not amazing that we have great intermediates but it is good that the Galway system can bring these players to the forefront.

TouchOfClass (Galway) - Posts: 730 - 30/06/2017 10:28:52    2007839

Link

Replying To TouchOfClass:  "sparrow - a whole gaggle of Intermediate players will be upset you compared them to Juniors rather than seniors, probably player Minor A and U21A for their clubs but with numbers dwindling they find their senior outfit just cannot make the breakthrough - I would compare Intermediate more with Senior B - am sure someone out there will let us know how many junior and intermediate players won celtic crosses with Kilkenny these past 10/15 years - it's not amazing that we have great intermediates but it is good that the Galway system can bring these players to the forefront."
Agreed. Good point.
BennettsBridge were junior in 2015 before winning junior and intermediate all Ireland club titles.
Is the likes of Walter Walsh playing with Glenmore.... a junior club when he played in 2012 final replay??
Indeed, KK show how picking the best players from all grades can reap rewards.
Current crop of Galway intermediates are there because they are the best in those positions.

TribalCharlie (Galway) - Posts: 151 - 30/06/2017 11:27:57    2007872

Link

It's a nothing point. So what if they play Intermediate? Head down to a Kinvara match, if Kinvara score 2-15, Conor Whelan has likely scored 2-13 of it. With no disrespect to the other lads, bar Colm and Conor there is no one else really close to even sniffing the Galway senior panel at this point on that Kinvara team.

Kinvara (Galway) - Posts: 25 - 30/06/2017 11:29:45    2007874

Link

Replying To Kinvara:  "It's a nothing point. So what if they play Intermediate? Head down to a Kinvara match, if Kinvara score 2-15, Conor Whelan has likely scored 2-13 of it. With no disrespect to the other lads, bar Colm and Conor there is no one else really close to even sniffing the Galway senior panel at this point on that Kinvara team."
Whelan hit 0-3 out of something like 4-20 last time out :D but tbf he was setting up lads in better positions for plenty of scores while he was on the field.

Personally I couldn't care less if a guy comes from a Junior C club if he is good enough to play intercounty.

It's a great sign of the times that we are reduced to pointless nonsense like this to argue about.

Stool Pigeon (Galway) - Posts: 450 - 30/06/2017 12:56:17    2007914

Link