Galway Forum

Galway vs Wexford (hurling)

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "I am not unrealistic, nor do I rely on Paddy Power to predict the future. If you can do a better job predicting the future than PP, then knock yourself out, and you should be capable of making yourself a fortune at it.

If you think Wexford are better, or as good, as the 'hapless' Tipp, you haven't explained why they didn't prove it, when they had the chance in the NHL semi, and their own manager admitted afterwards that he felt compelled to enter the fray himself to boost his charges. If Wexford are so superior to Tipp, it certainly didn't show that day?

You are spouting UNREALISTIC rubbish that Wexford will WIN THE ALL-IRELAND, if they win Leinster, but then you're backing off the nonsense, by predicting that Galway will defeat Wexford, so that your daft baseless prediction can't even be put to the test. I'll make a more REALISTIC prediction. Win or lose the Leinster final, Wexford imo WILL NOT WIN the 2017 all-ireland title, and I didn't even have to look at PP odds of 10/1 to reach that conclusion as things stand at this moment."
P.s . I'll come on to this public forum and offer my opinion anyway I want. It's very easy to be the keyboard warrior hurler on the ditch claiming my contribution is RUBBISH and is not transparent. That's your opinion so keep your bad tempered comments to your self. Thanks.

TribalCharlie (Galway) - Posts: 151 - 22/06/2017 20:45:09    2003742

Link

Praying for a big performance and if we get it the result please god will follow.

Wexford will be very fired up and will be buoyed by a large following but I think Galway will have too much on the day.

I do have some concerns over the depth of the panel. Wouldnt llike to see too many injuries. It is nice to see Nial Burke back playing somewhat well. Been a tough few years for him.

CraigHans11 (Galway) - Posts: 69 - 26/06/2017 11:32:35    2005558

Link

Replying To CraigHans11:  "Praying for a big performance and if we get it the result please god will follow.

Wexford will be very fired up and will be buoyed by a large following but I think Galway will have too much on the day.

I do have some concerns over the depth of the panel. Wouldnt llike to see too many injuries. It is nice to see Nial Burke back playing somewhat well. Been a tough few years for him."
Have you heard any update on any off the injuries.

bud14 (Galway) - Posts: 295 - 26/06/2017 12:01:49    2005594

Link

Replying To CraigHans11:  "Praying for a big performance and if we get it the result please god will follow.

I do have some concerns over the depth of the panel. Wouldnt llike to see too many injuries. It is nice to see Nial Burke back playing somewhat well. Been a tough few years for him."
Injuries might harm our chances of success this season? Thanks for pointing out the obvious to us.

I fully expect Galway to win this Sunday. Wexford will plant a man on the square again and hope not to concede goals via their defensive style of play but we are very adept at scoring points (33 agin Offaly!) and have a much stronger middle 3rd than Kilkenny do which is where Wexford really won the game against them.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Johnny Coen and David Burke test the mettle of Lee Chin - lets see if the hype is warranted.

Galway by 7 points.

NathinButSteel (Galway) - Posts: 115 - 26/06/2017 14:42:50    2005758

Link

Cathal Mannion is probably not going to make the game by all accounts. Was still in a walking boot last week.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1668 - 26/06/2017 15:28:17    2005807

Link

Replying To Marooned:  "Cathal Mannion is probably not going to make the game by all accounts. Was still in a walking boot last week."
Is it just brusing or has he a bone broken do you know.

bud14 (Galway) - Posts: 295 - 26/06/2017 15:42:43    2005825

Link

Replying To bud14:  "Is it just brusing or has he a bone broken do you know."
Mate seen him and Padraic in the gym last week and he was wearing a boot. If it's broken then the medical team would have taken him straight off against Offaly.
Also what injury did Joesph cooney have

grellans89 (Galway) - Posts: 251 - 26/06/2017 18:57:34    2005954

Link

Replying To grellans89:  "Mate seen him and Padraic in the gym last week and he was wearing a boot. If it's broken then the medical team would have taken him straight off against Offaly.
Also what injury did Joesph cooney have"
Joseph Cooney had a hamstring injury

Galway4molly (Galway) - Posts: 17 - 26/06/2017 21:54:47    2006057

Link

Replying To Galway4molly:  "Joseph Cooney had a hamstring injury"
Any chance he could be playing going into this game we have one player ruled out and starting forwards carrying knocks. If Mannion is out on Sunday who could slot in to his role on the team?

grellans89 (Galway) - Posts: 251 - 26/06/2017 22:09:13    2006063

Link

Both Mannion and J Cooney injured will force a deep dig into reserves - Monaghan, Brehony, E Burke, Molloy and perhaps Dan Nevin.

Playoffs should see Tipp, Waterford, Dublin and probably Kilkenny - but one never knows, thereafter expect Tipp and Waterford to challenge provisional losers in the QFs before challenging provisional winners in Semi-Finals, so great opportunity for backdoor teams to get on a run before semis - should Galway win Leinster then a few rounds of senior club championship would be in-order to keep match fit and avoid the drudgery of a five week layoff - gum shields will be provided :)

TouchOfClass (Galway) - Posts: 730 - 27/06/2017 10:51:39    2006196

Link

Replying To TouchOfClass:  "Both Mannion and J Cooney injured will force a deep dig into reserves - Monaghan, Brehony, E Burke, Molloy and perhaps Dan Nevin.

Playoffs should see Tipp, Waterford, Dublin and probably Kilkenny - but one never knows, thereafter expect Tipp and Waterford to challenge provisional losers in the QFs before challenging provisional winners in Semi-Finals, so great opportunity for backdoor teams to get on a run before semis - should Galway win Leinster then a few rounds of senior club championship would be in-order to keep match fit and avoid the drudgery of a five week layoff - gum shields will be provided :)"
Some clubs would object if the wrong type of gumshields were worn!

tommie (Galway) - Posts: 65 - 27/06/2017 11:45:45    2006228

Link

Replying To NathinButSteel:  "Injuries might harm our chances of success this season? Thanks for pointing out the obvious to us.

I fully expect Galway to win this Sunday. Wexford will plant a man on the square again and hope not to concede goals via their defensive style of play but we are very adept at scoring points (33 agin Offaly!) and have a much stronger middle 3rd than Kilkenny do which is where Wexford really won the game against them.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Johnny Coen and David Burke test the mettle of Lee Chin - lets see if the hype is warranted.

Galway by 7 points."
Nathinbutsteel i was clearly highlighting the weakness as we go further down our bench. Didnt mention anything about our success this year being harmed or whatever so maybe you should read posts a tad more carefully.

I fully think the starting 15 we have is right up there with the best in the country on its day.

CraigHans11 (Galway) - Posts: 69 - 27/06/2017 12:03:50    2006237

Link

Replying To CraigHans11:  "Nathinbutsteel i was clearly highlighting the weakness as we go further down our bench. Didnt mention anything about our success this year being harmed or whatever so maybe you should read posts a tad more carefully.

I fully think the starting 15 we have is right up there with the best in the country on its day."
Another bombshell from left field - CraigHans11 thinks we have a good starting 15! The fact that we are the current favourites for the All Ireland Hurling Championship would indicate to me that everyman and his dog thinks our starting 15 is somewhat decent Craig.

In terms of Sunday I'll be looking attentively to the sideline during the 2nd half. Our bench and substitutions will have to be on point given Wexford's fitness levels especially coming into the final quarter. They annihilated us in Pearse Stadium during the last 15 in the league after we had built up a lead. Granted Wexford had a lot more training done in Winter than everyone else in the country but its something O'Donoghue will have to keep an eye on Sunday.

NathinButSteel (Galway) - Posts: 115 - 27/06/2017 14:54:09    2006347

Link

Replying To NathinButSteel:  "Another bombshell from left field - CraigHans11 thinks we have a good starting 15! The fact that we are the current favourites for the All Ireland Hurling Championship would indicate to me that everyman and his dog thinks our starting 15 is somewhat decent Craig.

In terms of Sunday I'll be looking attentively to the sideline during the 2nd half. Our bench and substitutions will have to be on point given Wexford's fitness levels especially coming into the final quarter. They annihilated us in Pearse Stadium during the last 15 in the league after we had built up a lead. Granted Wexford had a lot more training done in Winter than everyone else in the country but its something O'Donoghue will have to keep an eye on Sunday."
Wasnt aware Wexford defeated Galway in the league. Nobody has spoken a word about that at all since February. Thanks for finally telling us something we all werent aware of. A true fountain of knowledge. (LOL)

Last 15 minutes will be huge though. You are correct on that one. As rightly stated above Wexford will deploy a sweeper which will surely free up Aidan Harte to do as he does best and sweep across both lines. Provided we can just get the ball to Joe before he can be bottled up- that should be enough to ensure victory.

Would have my doubts as to whether GMc could contain Lee Chin but we will wait and see Would have my doubts about him regardless of the opponent unfortunately. Daithi will be ready and waiting to get on him.

Kill the Wexford momentum early in the first and 2nd halves and before we know it the Bob O' Keeffe cup will be making its way home along the Shannon into Quinns :)

CraigHans11 (Galway) - Posts: 69 - 27/06/2017 15:56:12    2006380

Link

Does anybody know who is the ref for Sunday.

bud14 (Galway) - Posts: 295 - 27/06/2017 17:41:01    2006429

Link

Replying To bud14:  "Does anybody know who is the ref for Sunday."
Colm Lyons

game.on.now.ger (Galway) - Posts: 423 - 27/06/2017 19:07:24    2006464

Link

Replying To game.on.now.ger:  "Colm Lyons"
Is he cork

bud14 (Galway) - Posts: 295 - 27/06/2017 19:58:47    2006481

Link

How are people fairing out with tickets? All we can seem to be offered all week are upper hogan and upper cusack.. Also why isn't the hill open this Sunday? Only 30000 for the dublin westmeath game last sunday and it was open.

sliotharfan (Galway) - Posts: 87 - 28/06/2017 12:51:27    2006786

Link

Replying To sliotharfan:  "How are people fairing out with tickets? All we can seem to be offered all week are upper hogan and upper cusack.. Also why isn't the hill open this Sunday? Only 30000 for the dublin westmeath game last sunday and it was open."
Concert on that's why no hill 16 for the game.
I have a season ticket so have a great seat right at center field so unsure of how punters buying tickets are fairing. Expect a big loud crowd from Wexford if it goes over 45k I'd be very surprised. Remember Wexford park wasn't even sold out the last game

grellans89 (Galway) - Posts: 251 - 28/06/2017 13:40:08    2006822

Link

Replying To bud14:  "Is he cork"
Lyons is OK, let's it flow a little, prone to the odd mistake (sent off C Cooney last year on a straight red later rescinded), was the man-in-charge of League Final recently when we contained Tipperary, he does not punish tight honest-to-God hurlers - should suit both sides

TouchOfClass (Galway) - Posts: 730 - 28/06/2017 13:57:48    2006845

Link