Galway Forum

Galway vs Wexford (hurling)

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I can not wait until this match, hopefully that there will be huge crowd in Croke Park for this one. Very hard match to call but must go for Galway.
Galway 2+

oakleafersir (Derry) - Posts: 786 - 18/06/2017 16:02:10    2001177

Link

Expected win for Galway versus Offaly, never needed to get out of 1st gear, laid-back approach in terms of defence from Galway forwards ensured Offaly gave our backs a test, and we got the reminder that complacency is a dangerous addiction - very well poised for Wexford, we will not be caught stargazing like we were when we gifted Dublin and Anthony Daly a Leinster title, Galway will power through Wexford and straight into the All-Ireland Semi-final where they will meet a back-door challenger and in all likelihood that will be Tipperary.

Wexford are cohesive, whatever they lack in touch they make up for it in terms of work-rate, fitness and team ethic but you need more to win an All-Ireland as we well know.Galway are a different "pot-of-soup" in 2017, a great mixture of positive mindset while enjoying a low-key presence, performance is telling the hurling world that we are the team-to-beat, in a nice way, we've learned from Kilkenny, here's hoping we can remain injury free and driving on.

TouchOfClass (Galway) - Posts: 730 - 19/06/2017 11:47:48    2001703

Link

Any update on Cathal Mannion?
He was going well scored two points before he went off?
What injury did Joesph Cooney have.

grellans89 (Galway) - Posts: 251 - 19/06/2017 14:01:41    2001842

Link

Replying To grellans89:  "Any update on Cathal Mannion?
He was going well scored two points before he went off?
What injury did Joesph Cooney have."
I heard on Galway bay FM that cathal is having a scan on his ankle today at some stage.

bud14 (Galway) - Posts: 295 - 19/06/2017 14:43:08    2001879

Link

Replying To TouchOfClass:  "Expected win for Galway versus Offaly, never needed to get out of 1st gear, laid-back approach in terms of defence from Galway forwards ensured Offaly gave our backs a test, and we got the reminder that complacency is a dangerous addiction - very well poised for Wexford, we will not be caught stargazing like we were when we gifted Dublin and Anthony Daly a Leinster title, Galway will power through Wexford and straight into the All-Ireland Semi-final where they will meet a back-door challenger and in all likelihood that will be Tipperary.

Wexford are cohesive, whatever they lack in touch they make up for it in terms of work-rate, fitness and team ethic but you need more to win an All-Ireland as we well know.Galway are a different "pot-of-soup" in 2017, a great mixture of positive mindset while enjoying a low-key presence, performance is telling the hurling world that we are the team-to-beat, in a nice way, we've learned from Kilkenny, here's hoping we can remain injury free and driving on."
Well Galway sure were a "different pot of soup" a couple of months ago in Salthill !!!!

I suppose you are entitled to be confident but it might not be as easy as you obviously expect it to be. Dont forget that Kilkenny were 1/3 coming to wexford Park. . . . . . and they say the bookies are rarely wrong.

yelowbelly (Wexford) - Posts: 360 - 19/06/2017 18:32:47    2002041

Link

Any up date on cathal mannions ankle scan did any body hear anything.

bud14 (Galway) - Posts: 295 - 19/06/2017 21:26:14    2002144

Link

Replying To yelowbelly:  "Well Galway sure were a "different pot of soup" a couple of months ago in Salthill !!!!

I suppose you are entitled to be confident but it might not be as easy as you obviously expect it to be. Dont forget that Kilkenny were 1/3 coming to wexford Park. . . . . . and they say the bookies are rarely wrong."
To be fair, Wexford were deserving winners of the league match. However, they had waaaayy more fitness work done and also Galway were welcoming back the St Thomas players so the league game is irrelevant as regards the Leinster final.

I think Wexfords win over kk is being blown way out of proportion. I guarantee if Padraig Walsh was fully fit, kk would have won. In addition, with so many kk players underperforming and Richie Hogan being injured, Wexford still just about got over the line.

jkiamasnake (Galway) - Posts: 81 - 19/06/2017 22:45:08    2002209

Link

Hopefully we don't get the same instance whereby the two teams where effectively indistinguishable from each other. Galway as the de facto away team should wear white jerseys. As they should have been doing since they abandoned Connacht Hurling.

WunderBar (Galway) - Posts: 234 - 20/06/2017 08:23:27    2002293

Link

Replying To jkiamasnake:  "To be fair, Wexford were deserving winners of the league match. However, they had waaaayy more fitness work done and also Galway were welcoming back the St Thomas players so the league game is irrelevant as regards the Leinster final.

I think Wexfords win over kk is being blown way out of proportion. I guarantee if Padraig Walsh was fully fit, kk would have won. In addition, with so many kk players underperforming and Richie Hogan being injured, Wexford still just about got over the line."
This LF match up with Wex reminds me of the build up to the 1996 All Ireland Semi when we came up to Croker confident and went home in shock... I dont want a repeat of that memory... GAL need to come out and just ravage WEX from the throw in. They like to do it against TIPP and KK in Croker but usually fall away in the 2nd half. If GAL play 70 mins of intense hurling they will of course win but WEX will come to Croker confident of beating KK (A weakened one at that) and having 1 up on GAL from the League.... WEX will have the crowd behind them, the Manager on the line and confidence. GAL have the experience of playing in 6 LF's and Croke park is their home ground in Championship..... Cut out supply to CHIN and choke the sweeper Murphy will be the key to winning this game. GAL have the forwards to do the damage. Our backs are good but not excellent at present. But I expect JC to dictate the game (once he is not man marked) and Whelan and Mannion (pending injury) to take advantage of the open spaces of Croker.... GAL to shade this one by 4 points....

TribalCharlie (Galway) - Posts: 151 - 20/06/2017 10:19:37    2002357

Link

Replying To WunderBar:  "Hopefully we don't get the same instance whereby the two teams where effectively indistinguishable from each other. Galway as the de facto away team should wear white jerseys. As they should have been doing since they abandoned Connacht Hurling."
Why are Galway the de facto away team? Both have equal standing in Leinster. Anyway, both are changing according to news elsewhere.

Triffic (Galway) - Posts: 60 - 20/06/2017 10:25:24    2002361

Link

Replying To TribalCharlie:  "This LF match up with Wex reminds me of the build up to the 1996 All Ireland Semi when we came up to Croker confident and went home in shock... I dont want a repeat of that memory... GAL need to come out and just ravage WEX from the throw in. They like to do it against TIPP and KK in Croker but usually fall away in the 2nd half. If GAL play 70 mins of intense hurling they will of course win but WEX will come to Croker confident of beating KK (A weakened one at that) and having 1 up on GAL from the League.... WEX will have the crowd behind them, the Manager on the line and confidence. GAL have the experience of playing in 6 LF's and Croke park is their home ground in Championship..... Cut out supply to CHIN and choke the sweeper Murphy will be the key to winning this game. GAL have the forwards to do the damage. Our backs are good but not excellent at present. But I expect JC to dictate the game (once he is not man marked) and Whelan and Mannion (pending injury) to take advantage of the open spaces of Croker.... GAL to shade this one by 4 points...."
We didn't compete that well with Offaly in the '94 semi loss, or with Clare in the '95 semi loss, so what was the basis for your 'shock' that we exited to Wexford in '96? Galway were operating a revolving door system of appointing management teams at the time, which seemed to ensure that we'd remain permanently shot in both feet through that particular era.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2299 - 20/06/2017 10:46:42    2002377

Link

Replying To TribalCharlie:  "This LF match up with Wex reminds me of the build up to the 1996 All Ireland Semi when we came up to Croker confident and went home in shock... I dont want a repeat of that memory... GAL need to come out and just ravage WEX from the throw in. They like to do it against TIPP and KK in Croker but usually fall away in the 2nd half. If GAL play 70 mins of intense hurling they will of course win but WEX will come to Croker confident of beating KK (A weakened one at that) and having 1 up on GAL from the League.... WEX will have the crowd behind them, the Manager on the line and confidence. GAL have the experience of playing in 6 LF's and Croke park is their home ground in Championship..... Cut out supply to CHIN and choke the sweeper Murphy will be the key to winning this game. GAL have the forwards to do the damage. Our backs are good but not excellent at present. But I expect JC to dictate the game (once he is not man marked) and Whelan and Mannion (pending injury) to take advantage of the open spaces of Croker.... GAL to shade this one by 4 points...."
I remember 1996 but don't remember us at all being confident -- if anything I'd have thought we were the opposite since we hadn't done anything in the 2 previous years. When we lost to Dublin in 2010 (?) it was a bigger shock to the system IMO, especially because of the scale of it.
I'm reasonably confident that we'll win this if properly focussed but it's not going to be easy and it wouldn't surprise me either if Wexford won it.

PoolSturgeon (Galway) - Posts: 1310 - 20/06/2017 11:00:36    2002388

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "We didn't compete that well with Offaly in the '94 semi loss, or with Clare in the '95 semi loss, so what was the basis for your 'shock' that we exited to Wexford in '96? Galway were operating a revolving door system of appointing management teams at the time, which seemed to ensure that we'd remain permanently shot in both feet through that particular era."
Very true and thanks for expanding my point. Those were games that we were expected to win also and the point on the management is spot on.
Wexford in 96 were underdogs.... not in a final since the late 70's and GAL were League Champions in 1996 with Wex promoted from Divison 2 the same season.... I am not trying to compare eras.... all I am saying that I have a personal feeling which is similar to 1996. We expect to WIN in 2 weeks but WEX are on a roll... We need to hit them hard from the throw in and not to fall away like past performances...

TribalCharlie (Galway) - Posts: 151 - 20/06/2017 11:15:34    2002394

Link

Replying To PoolSturgeon:  "I remember 1996 but don't remember us at all being confident -- if anything I'd have thought we were the opposite since we hadn't done anything in the 2 previous years. When we lost to Dublin in 2010 (?) it was a bigger shock to the system IMO, especially because of the scale of it.
I'm reasonably confident that we'll win this if properly focussed but it's not going to be easy and it wouldn't surprise me either if Wexford won it."
Yes and GAL came into that game league champions aswell... and it was a shock but Dublin were coming good from previous year in reaching 1st final since '91.... We are a more balanced team now but need to keep the consistency going.... League champions (in GAL case is not a guarantee for success in Championship). We need to play smart hurling to beat the likes of WEX in 2 weeks...

TribalCharlie (Galway) - Posts: 151 - 20/06/2017 11:36:18    2002402

Link

Great discussion points - never underestimate Wexford pride, they have defeated Galway in the League in 2017, they have achieved promotion to play Div1 in 2018, they have a motivational manager, they have dished out two defeats to Kilkenny in 2017 and are injury free and on a roll into the Leinster Final. The were not a match for Tipperary in the NHL semi-final and Davy's intervention was to send a psychological message as he felt they were being dominated by a team that Galway whizzed a few weeks later.

I anticipate that Wexford will be physical from the start, will want parity at the interval and drive from the 36th to the 50th minute to stay with Galway - should they achieve this they will be there or thereabouts down the straight, however, I fully expect Galway to be well in control at the interval and will be given instruction to close it out as quickly as possible in the 2nd half.

Comparisons to 21 years ago are ridiculous in the extreme - we have lost too much since 2010 to be anything other than totally focused and driven - we were in awe of others but that dispersed when Canning and Tuohey were withdrawn in 2016 semi-final - we grew up a lot last Winter.

TouchOfClass (Galway) - Posts: 730 - 20/06/2017 12:12:36    2002440

Link

While I was correct in predicting a hammering of Offaly, I am not a happy camper now. That is because of the injurys that are accruing to the Galway team. J Cooney, Flynn, Mannion and Kileen (long term) are 4 starters that are injured. Things arent looking too good now. I predict a loss to Wexford and I dont think we would beat Waterford or Tipp in the QF. We will be lucky if we get Cork, Clare or Kilkenny. Things arent looking as good as they were 2 weeks ago sadly. If we lose one more player I wont even bother go to the Leinster Final.

clare_sparrow (Galway) - Posts: 270 - 20/06/2017 15:09:10    2002578

Link

Replying To TouchOfClass:  "Great discussion points - never underestimate Wexford pride, they have defeated Galway in the League in 2017, they have achieved promotion to play Div1 in 2018, they have a motivational manager, they have dished out two defeats to Kilkenny in 2017 and are injury free and on a roll into the Leinster Final. The were not a match for Tipperary in the NHL semi-final and Davy's intervention was to send a psychological message as he felt they were being dominated by a team that Galway whizzed a few weeks later.

I anticipate that Wexford will be physical from the start, will want parity at the interval and drive from the 36th to the 50th minute to stay with Galway - should they achieve this they will be there or thereabouts down the straight, however, I fully expect Galway to be well in control at the interval and will be given instruction to close it out as quickly as possible in the 2nd half.

Comparisons to 21 years ago are ridiculous in the extreme - we have lost too much since 2010 to be anything other than totally focused and driven - we were in awe of others but that dispersed when Canning and Tuohey were withdrawn in 2016 semi-final - we grew up a lot last Winter."
Touchofclass, a good balanced post there, but I do need to correct you on one point " they are injury free ". Unfortunately ( for us ) that's not the case. Shaun Murphy and Conor McDonald, 2 players who are vital cogs in Davy's set-up , will miss the Leinster final.

yelowbelly (Wexford) - Posts: 360 - 20/06/2017 15:19:35    2002590

Link

Replying To clare_sparrow:  "While I was correct in predicting a hammering of Offaly, I am not a happy camper now. That is because of the injurys that are accruing to the Galway team. J Cooney, Flynn, Mannion and Kileen (long term) are 4 starters that are injured. Things arent looking too good now. I predict a loss to Wexford and I dont think we would beat Waterford or Tipp in the QF. We will be lucky if we get Cork, Clare or Kilkenny. Things arent looking as good as they were 2 weeks ago sadly. If we lose one more player I wont even bother go to the Leinster Final."
How serious are j cooney j Flynn and c mannions injuries will they be out for long.

bud14 (Galway) - Posts: 295 - 20/06/2017 15:23:21    2002594

Link

Replying To clare_sparrow:  "While I was correct in predicting a hammering of Offaly, I am not a happy camper now. That is because of the injurys that are accruing to the Galway team. J Cooney, Flynn, Mannion and Kileen (long term) are 4 starters that are injured. Things arent looking too good now. I predict a loss to Wexford and I dont think we would beat Waterford or Tipp in the QF. We will be lucky if we get Cork, Clare or Kilkenny. Things arent looking as good as they were 2 weeks ago sadly. If we lose one more player I wont even bother go to the Leinster Final."
I believe it would be a good idea for you not to go to the Leinster final for your sake.
Wexford may take the lead at some stage which will probably dishearten you.They may even be in the lead in the 2nd half and their fans will no doubt be cheering them on which amy also be upsetting for you.
I suggest you go for a long walk somewhere , bring your dog (if he'll go with you).

Condorman (Dublin) - Posts: 983 - 20/06/2017 15:23:42    2002595

Link

Sparrow, we're having lovely sunny weather -- no need to be so gloomy! On last Sunday's performance, Flynn wouldn't be much of a loss anyway. Maloney came in and did well. Joseph Cooney and Niall Burke have been interchanging all year -- if we're without one of them we're not that discommoded as long as the other doesn't get injured. Killeen is being perceived as a big loss on the basis of just one game -- if Hansbury had started against Dublin and got injured and Killeen had come in to replace him, no doubt the tune would be " we're weakened now that Hansbury is injured and Killeen is replacing him". I think we will beat Wexford and as long as Mannion is back in about 3 weeks and we don't pick up any other injuries, we'll be just fine.

PoolSturgeon (Galway) - Posts: 1310 - 20/06/2017 15:46:28    2002619

Link