Down Forum

Feile Na nGael 2017 - Castlewellan

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

The Feile na nGael is always a highlight of the juvenile hurling season and this year its back in Castlewellan on 22nd April. Portaferry done a great job the past couple of years running Feile and now its our turn.

Last year Bredagh, Portaferry and Ballyvarley all went to the National Feile in Tipp and by all accounts the kids loved the experience. Hopefully this years will be as good as last year which was the best in many years.

Frank Mitchell (Down) - Posts: 1067 - 06/03/2017 17:29:51    1964715

Link

Is Féile played on 1 day in Down?

christy sting (Derry) - Posts: 256 - 06/03/2017 19:12:10    1964765

Link

Replying To christy sting:  "Is Féile played on 1 day in Down?"
Yeah one day. The games are all short. 7.5 minutes each way for groups and then 10 or 15 mins each for semi finals and finals. Every team gets 5 or 6 games.

Seannie Og (Down) - Posts: 940 - 07/03/2017 08:01:47    1964903

Link

Replying To Seannie Og:  "Yeah one day. The games are all short. 7.5 minutes each way for groups and then 10 or 15 mins each for semi finals and finals. Every team gets 5 or 6 games."
Seanny I hear the Ports/Carryduff amalgamation are favourites although I'd still fancy Bredagh to be there or there abouts with their big panels of 13 and 14 year olds.

I wonder will they make the parade though?

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2402 - 07/03/2017 10:53:39    1964939

Link

That's poor enough. In Derry you play 2 x 40 min games each Sunday for 4 weeks and then semi and finals. 360 mins hurling at least. Teams in other counties like Down and Donegal are getting to All Ireland with little effort.

christy sting (Derry) - Posts: 256 - 07/03/2017 22:03:28    1965287

Link

Replying To christy sting:  "That's poor enough. In Derry you play 2 x 40 min games each Sunday for 4 weeks and then semi and finals. 360 mins hurling at least. Teams in other counties like Down and Donegal are getting to All Ireland with little effort."
And what happens when you get the the National Feile?

You play three 7 1/2 minute games in a round robin section, winners play 10 minutes in 1/4 final, semi-final and so forth.

The Down Feile is structured to suit teams competing in the National Feile, we've championship and league for the rest of the hurling,

If Derry want to stretch theirs over several weeks and play in a longer format than they'll face in Kilkenny then that's up to them, but its not "little effort" on behalf of Down.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2402 - 08/03/2017 09:02:29    1965323

Link

Aye we have league and championship as well. 21 proper games a year at u14. It is the only way to keep them away from other sports.

christy sting (Derry) - Posts: 256 - 08/03/2017 12:38:00    1965394

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "Seanny I hear the Ports/Carryduff amalgamation are favourites although I'd still fancy Bredagh to be there or there abouts with their big panels of 13 and 14 year olds.

I wonder will they make the parade though?"
Bredagh are always strong at u14. They've won Feile the past 4 years but we'd be confident of giving them and Ballygalget a run for it this year.

It's a long time since Ballycran won Feile or produced a decent juvenile team. Why don't you get up from your computer and do a bit of coaching with the young ones? Maybe help and improve things. Or is it easier just slag off the efforts of other clubs.

Seannie Og (Down) - Posts: 940 - 08/03/2017 14:25:11    1965438

Link

Replying To Seannie Og:  "Bredagh are always strong at u14. They've won Feile the past 4 years but we'd be confident of giving them and Ballygalget a run for it this year.

It's a long time since Ballycran won Feile or produced a decent juvenile team. Why don't you get up from your computer and do a bit of coaching with the young ones? Maybe help and improve things. Or is it easier just slag off the efforts of other clubs."
The wheels are in motion Seanny, but it'll take a bit of time before the fruits of the hard labour are rewarded.

We'd be competitive at U14 this year, but a bit short on the top three, that doesn't mean we won't still be producing senior level hurlers come the time.

We don't seem to be getting the same benefits of sanctioned players like our neighbours and considering a lot of these sanctioned players drive past our club to get to their final destinations I think the CB need to have a look at that. At the same time I think it will be interesting to see how many of these sanctioned players actually go on to play adult hurling for their adopted clubs, none to date...

Are these lads from North Down looking to hurl or only to hurl for clubs that might win something?

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2402 - 09/03/2017 09:16:11    1965602

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "The wheels are in motion Seanny, but it'll take a bit of time before the fruits of the hard labour are rewarded.

We'd be competitive at U14 this year, but a bit short on the top three, that doesn't mean we won't still be producing senior level hurlers come the time.

We don't seem to be getting the same benefits of sanctioned players like our neighbours and considering a lot of these sanctioned players drive past our club to get to their final destinations I think the CB need to have a look at that. At the same time I think it will be interesting to see how many of these sanctioned players actually go on to play adult hurling for their adopted clubs, none to date...

Are these lads from North Down looking to hurl or only to hurl for clubs that might win something?"
Bricktop, As the father of one of these "cubs from North Down" I can tell you that 5 years ago when we were told that our club weren't in a position to offer him hurling any more I had to fight like a devil with the County Board for a pathway for him to continue hurling.

No Club in the county would agree to an amalgamation as they were afraid that that would harm there ability to play fiele at a national level. I ended up giving the then chair of the now defunct hurling board an ultimatum that I was prepared to take my attempts to secure hurling for my son to a provincial or national level. I was eventually told that as no club amalgamation was possible that players could be sanctioned on an individual basis to play with a club that was prepared to offer them hurling.

My Cub didn't have much of a profile and only one Club showed any interest in having him join, so this will now be the 5th year that he hurls with Ballygalget and I can assure you that having reached the eligible age this year he will hurl at adult for this club (god-willing) as he owes them a debt of gratitude for offering him an outlet for his sport when other clubs were disinterested.
Your post had a hint of sour grapes about it in relation to sanctioned players, maybe you should ask why we had to drive past Ballycran, the answer as explained above is because they and other clubs had no interest at the time of helping these lads TO continue hurling, sure when would a lad from bangor ever amount to much on a hurling field

downredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 552 - 09/03/2017 13:18:41    1965663

Link

downredhand (Tyrone)

Brilliant post!!!

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1606 - 17/03/2017 12:14:12    1967797

Link

If someone could list the teams involved in the Down Hurling Feile, that would be appreciated.

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1606 - 28/03/2017 09:40:01    1972147

Link

Replying To THEMOLE2:  "If someone could list the teams involved in the Down Hurling Feile, that would be appreciated."
10 teams entered.

Ballygalget
Portaferry
Real Bredagh
Ballycran
NCP
O'Rahilly's
Kilclief
Carryduff
St Patrick's
Continuity Bredagh

Frank Mitchell (Down) - Posts: 1067 - 29/03/2017 11:04:28    1972666

Link

Replying To Frank Mitchell:  "10 teams entered.

Ballygalget
Portaferry
Real Bredagh
Ballycran
NCP
O'Rahilly's
Kilclief
Carryduff
St Patrick's
Continuity Bredagh"
two groups of 5 I presume with continuity Bredagh unable to attend the national Feile..

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2402 - 29/03/2017 11:44:40    1972685

Link

Replying To Frank Mitchell:  "10 teams entered.

Ballygalget
Portaferry
Real Bredagh
Ballycran
NCP
O'Rahilly's
Kilclief
Carryduff
St Patrick's
Continuity Bredagh"
Thanks Frank!

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1606 - 30/03/2017 23:46:43    1973395

Link

Are the games played at Castlewellan GAC & Bann Road.... Anywhere else?

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1606 - 30/03/2017 23:49:11    1973396

Link

Replying To Frank Mitchell:  "The Feile na nGael is always a highlight of the juvenile hurling season and this year its back in Castlewellan on 22nd April. Portaferry done a great job the past couple of years running Feile and now its our turn.

Last year Bredagh, Portaferry and Ballyvarley all went to the National Feile in Tipp and by all accounts the kids loved the experience. Hopefully this years will be as good as last year which was the best in many years."
Frank, what way does the Feile work? By that I mean, is it an open draw with the teams going into a league to start with and the the top 2 playing off for the title? How many leagues are the teams split up into?
Is there a list of fixtures for the day or is it still being compiled? What time does the parade start at? I ask these questions as my plan is too make a day of it so any details you could provide would be great.
Where is the National Feile? Out of curiosity, do the respective winners of the Down Feile get any funding from the Co Board to make the trip to the National Feile?

thanks

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1606 - 11/04/2017 13:02:18    1978342

Link

Replying To THEMOLE2:  "Frank, what way does the Feile work? By that I mean, is it an open draw with the teams going into a league to start with and the the top 2 playing off for the title? How many leagues are the teams split up into?
Is there a list of fixtures for the day or is it still being compiled? What time does the parade start at? I ask these questions as my plan is too make a day of it so any details you could provide would be great.
Where is the National Feile? Out of curiosity, do the respective winners of the Down Feile get any funding from the Co Board to make the trip to the National Feile?

thanks"
No details as yet but it was a round robin last year, top 4 Div1 semi-finals, next 4 Div2 semi-finals and then the bottom two played out for the Div3 final.

Not a bad system if integrity was applied which isn't always the case.

No funding from Down GAA at all, the skills rep is lucky to get a kit to wear for the trip south which is shared between Carlow, Wexford and Kilkenny.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2402 - 11/04/2017 16:01:49    1978469

Link

Think theyre still working on the fixtures and timings. I haven't heard anything final. I did hear that theres no parade or speeches just matches like the football Feile.

Frank Mitchell (Down) - Posts: 1067 - 13/04/2017 15:53:37    1979146

Link

Can Bredagh make it 5 Div1 titles in a row. Surely not. They are rank outsiders but there again they were last year too.

down12792 (Down) - Posts: 122 - 14/04/2017 21:56:33    1979474

Link