Down Forum

Christy Ring 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

RESULTS
Antrim 3-15 V 0-12 Down
Kildare 2-19 V 3-18 Wicklow
Carlow 5-18 V 2-7 Mayo
Roscommon 1-10 V 4-24 London
No surprises so far in this competition with the favs Antrim and Carlow all winning handily....Great result for Wicklow mind you.

Saturday May 06 2017 - Christy Ring Quarter-Final
London V Down
(Venue TBC)
Another very tough game here for Down against London. This is the knock-out stages, so winner takes all and no second chances for the losers.

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1606 - 30/04/2017 11:35:34    1983584

Link

Sunday May 07 2017 - Christy Ring Quarter-Final

London V Down
(Páirc na hÉireann, Birmingham )

Game now on Sunday in Birmingham.

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1606 - 04/05/2017 07:04:31    1984335

Link

Replying To THEMOLE2:  "Sunday May 07 2017 - Christy Ring Quarter-Final

London V Down
(Páirc na hÉireann, Birmingham )

Game now on Sunday in Birmingham."
Neutral venue, Birmingham, brilliant to say the least, I suppose it is a halfway house as you can get!

To the game itself based on the absolute hammering London gave Roscommon we've our work cut out for us, but not insurmountable and with a few injuries clearing up will help strengthen the squad.
Still need to big name players to produce the goods as they haven't, but hopefully one will manage to stay on the field for the full 70 minutes.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2406 - 04/05/2017 10:41:42    1984403

Link

Brilliant Result!!!!!!!

Down 2-19 V 0-19 London

Sands with both the goals! Semi final here we come!!!!

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1606 - 07/05/2017 13:37:57    1984958

Link

Fantastic result and hats off to the players and management! Sometimes it nice to get away and play somewhere new and different. The dry warm conditions suit our style of play. I guess we play Wicklow in the semi?

saulgael (Down) - Posts: 544 - 07/05/2017 13:45:50    1984960

Link

Great result........hopefully get home draw for semi final.......well done to the players who have stuck at it....

PaudieSull1 (Down) - Posts: 719 - 07/05/2017 15:48:59    1984977

Link

Replying To PaudieSull1:  "Great result........hopefully get home draw for semi final.......well done to the players who have stuck at it...."
Correct Paudie,
A big up to the lads who've soldiered on and haven't drifted off for whatever trivial reasons, we're getting better as the sod dries out.

If we do get a home draw, we need it to be either in Portaferry or Ballygalget (for a bit of atmosphere) as the bigger pitches allows our forwards the space they need to operate. As much as Ballycran has a great surface, sadly I think the pitch is too small for intercounty hurling.

Irrespective, the next game will be an even bigger ask and Kildare will probably been seen as the easier option of the four left.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2406 - 08/05/2017 07:47:03    1985091

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "Correct Paudie,
A big up to the lads who've soldiered on and haven't drifted off for whatever trivial reasons, we're getting better as the sod dries out.

If we do get a home draw, we need it to be either in Portaferry or Ballygalget (for a bit of atmosphere) as the bigger pitches allows our forwards the space they need to operate. As much as Ballycran has a great surface, sadly I think the pitch is too small for intercounty hurling.

Irrespective, the next game will be an even bigger ask and Kildare will probably been seen as the easier option of the four left."
Edit,
Wicklow, not Kildare.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2406 - 08/05/2017 08:24:09    1985102

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "Correct Paudie,

Irrespective, the next game will be an even bigger ask and Kildare will probably been seen as the easier option of the four left."
I thought the 4 sides left were Wicklow, Down, Antrim & Carlow. Are Kildare not out of it?

downredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 552 - 08/05/2017 08:28:57    1985103

Link

Replying To downredhand:  "I thought the 4 sides left were Wicklow, Down, Antrim & Carlow. Are Kildare not out of it?"
Yip,
And we're either going to draw Carlow or Antrim as we're in the same bucket as Wicklow.

Either game is going to be an uphill task as both are a level above us.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2406 - 08/05/2017 08:55:50    1985114

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "Yip,
And we're either going to draw Carlow or Antrim as we're in the same bucket as Wicklow.

Either game is going to be an uphill task as both are a level above us."
Anything from here on in is a MASIVE bonus!! I doubt there were many on here who thought we would get past London (I was one of them!), Delighted for Marty and the lads on getting to the sem-final and ANYTING can happen when it gets to this stage of the competition...!

ONE GAME AWAY FROM A TRIP TO CROKE..!!

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1606 - 08/05/2017 09:11:04    1985121

Link

First team listed has home venue.

Christy Ring Cup Semi-Finals

Antrim v Down

Carlow v Wicklow

Seannie Og (Down) - Posts: 941 - 08/05/2017 10:36:06    1985142

Link

Replying To Seannie Og:  "First team listed has home venue.

Christy Ring Cup Semi-Finals

Antrim v Down

Carlow v Wicklow"
The draw for the semi finals is not fair.

An All ireland Semi Final should be played at a neutral venue
to give it the respect it deserves.

3 games in a row in the Christy Ring away to Antrim!!

pmack (Down) - Posts: 42 - 08/05/2017 11:07:36    1985152

Link

Saturday May 20 2017

CR Semi-Final 1
Carlow V Wicklow (Netwatch Cullen Park 3pm)

CR Semi-Final 2
Antrim V Down (Cushendall 5pm)
Nothing to loose lads! MASSIVE underdogs for this game BUT ya never know....!!

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1606 - 12/05/2017 11:54:37    1986179

Link

Excited for the game Saturday Any team news?

saulgael (Down) - Posts: 544 - 16/05/2017 17:41:43    1987228

Link

Really looking forward to the game tomorrow up the Antrim Coast in the CR Semi-final!
Like I said before, we are MASSIVE underdogs BUT if (and its a big IF) Antrim have an off day we have a chance! I understand Sands is suspended for this game and he will be a massive loss. Still, in a one off game anything can happen...believe lads!!

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1606 - 19/05/2017 09:32:11    1988226

Link

Best of luck to the Down men.

Suas Sios (None) - Posts: 1372 - 19/05/2017 11:10:53    1988276

Link

Down v Antrim (because it should matter to us)
I was on youtube on the TV the other evening catching up on an of episode of Laochra Gael it was Pat Fox in fact, the legendary Tipp corner forward of the 80s/90s he was a superb player in a memorable era of hurling. Then I started to watch games/clips of yesteryear as they came on, what followed after a few streams was the Ulster Hurling final of 1995 and as you know Down won that year after a replay in Casement Park, I have the clip below it brought tears to my eyes Im not going to lie, memories flooded back to me of the day but sadly now we know that is all they are, only distant memories. Theres something about it, its something I would love to see again. Im only on this page because Down and Antrim it should matter to us, whether your from Portaferry, Ballygalget or Ballycran or maybe even up in Rossa, St Johns or North Antrim. The fact is we wont get the coverage this weekend because in terms of the broader circle of the GAA we arent important, we wont get coverage even in our local papers. In the Southern press on Monday morning after Cork Tipp etc we wont even be 10 lines at the bottom of the page, we never were to start off with! However stuff them and what they think, there are hurls still being used on the Ards Peninsula and its not just for bringing in cows or houlding the door open. Antrim are playing to get to 'their level'-the Liam McCarthy, there is nothing wrong with their ambition. However we in Down are playing for pride of place, to show 'we havent gone away you know'. I know times have changed and this is the Christy Ring and not an Ulster final as we would have known it but we are proud Down hurling people still-we have to be. In the Ards and for the other hurling men in Down we must still remember those 20-25 odd years ago and if you were reared on stories the legends of times past, hurling in our county and in your parish should matter quite a bit to you. This is in fact a new generation, and I think its terrible of the fickle attitude of some of those who walk out and leave history as it is, maybe in fact some not even knowing any of it, and let it wilt until it becomes a distant memory to us all. Having said that, theres no real pressure on those the core group of players tomorrow because they are they guys who are prepared to pull on the red and black jersey, the same one that was wore those generations ago. At this time of the year as it is traditional with our neighbours they strut around with the chests out and heads back and do not even look anywhere near for us coming up the road. Presently, Down hurling would be proud with an honest performance to remind them and those that 'we havent gone away you know'. I know Im only a supporter, but support 'us' I will.

Hurlingandun (Down) - Posts: 2 - 19/05/2017 12:27:33    1988305

Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCo6s25vevU

Hurlingandun (Down) - Posts: 2 - 19/05/2017 12:30:12    1988309

Link

Christy Ring Semi Final Results

Carlow 0-24 V 2-8 Wicklow
Antrim 4-23 V 0-15 Down

Our lads where never at the races..I think it's fair to say that the best two teams in the competition will meet in the final (like I predicted from the outset). Good luck to Antrim in the final; I hope they go on and win it and I think they have got better as the competition has progressed.

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1606 - 20/05/2017 19:42:34    1988621

Link