Clare Forum

Clare Hurlers 2013

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Brilliant win for Clare, fantastic 2nd half performance and some great scores, but the first half was the opposite when we had awful wides and Cork should have been out of sight. We cant afford to start slow, twice now we have done that. Im not at all convinved by Cork tho. KK and Tip for me the 2 best teams in the country so nxt 2 weeks are gonna be a real test for us.

I think Fitzy would like to have experimented a bit more but staying in div1 is key for the development of this team so i think the team for June wil be pretty much on the lines of what weve seen in last 3 games. Id still like to see Barett get a chance in hb line, its his natural habitat. Also, maybe give Conor Ryan might be an option there too. I think a fully fit honan n mcgrath are definite starters for us in championship, gavin to provide legs fromt the bench. Cian Dillon may struggle to get back in.

for what its worth, my tweam for june if all fit wud be
kelly,
DOD
D Mac
Morey
bugler
donnellan
barrett
ryan
NOC
C Ryan
Conlon
kelly
o donnell
honan
mcgrath

up the banner

Banner1995 (Clare) - Posts: 1 - 19/03/2013 14:08:51    1351992

Link

sick as!!!

Clare should have got something out of that game.

Thats KK for you though. they always seem to do enough. Fair play to the boys though. We will be a force this year no doubt about it.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 24/03/2013 15:41:05    1355151

Link

lads why does Davy not start Honan ? Is he still not over the injuries hence only getting on as a sub in games. Also i think young O'Donnell is a fine hurler i nearly rise to the edge of my seat when he gets the ball in hand near the goal i thought his brother Marc looked to have huge potential at around u16 level but never pushed on so its great to see Shane doing so well at the moment. Also while im talking about lads from Éire Óg will Davy O'Halloran get any chance in the remaining league games or is he too light for senior ?

dubshurling7 (Dublin) - Posts: 999 - 24/03/2013 20:04:09    1355330

Link

Just wondering what people think the line up for this years under 21 team will be. My team would be 1Taffee 2Flanagan 3McInerney 4Haulie Vaughan 5Niall O'Connor 6Morey 7Stephen O'Halloran 8Galvin 9Kelly 10Peter Duggan 11Podge 12Cunningham 13Shanahan 14O'Donnell 15Tots
what changes if any would ye make?

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 25/03/2013 12:01:10    1355739

Link

they did hit 18 wides..but fitzgerald has to shoulder some of the blame.. if he brought honan on even 5 minutes earlier clare would have won that match. and stop trying to make a forward out of enda barrett..

firepower (Galway) - Posts: 45 - 25/03/2013 13:28:59    1355878

Link

if lynch wasnt playn it would have changed the result

hondabanner (Clare) - Posts: 20 - 25/03/2013 15:20:45    1356020

Link

One round to go. It could be a semi final or a relegation final for Clare. Overall, has been a good league for Clare up to this point, 2 victories and 2 defeats with both defeats only by the minimum. The major positives for Clare at this stage has been the unearthing of Shane O Donnell, a real goal threat and dangerous livewire every time he gains possession and the return to form of Colin Ryan, both from placed balls and open play. David McInerney has been solid at full back as previously suggested and would appear the front runner for the number three jersey barring injury. At this point, Clare supporters have probably seen all bar Cian Dillon and Conor McGrath who will be pushing for championship starts. Big game sunday v Tipperary, team needs to improve striking especially when shooting at the posts and get rid of the ball quicker particularly Nicky O Connell who had a nightmare against Kilkenny.

happyh10 (Clare) - Posts: 78 - 30/03/2013 09:38:55    1358714

Link

Very disappointing for us on Sunday. In fact we were lucky to lose by "only" 11 points such was the gap between the teams.
We were well beaten in every sector on the field with Seadna Morey possibly the only player to make any positive impact. Goalkeeper was poor for 2 of the goals although it may have been McInerney who was directly at fault for the long range goal.
Physically we were destroyed by Tipperary. Don't think we won a single 50/50 puck-out in the entire game. A lesson for Davy is that the short passing game will not work against a more physical team in wet & windy weather. There seemed to be no plan B whatsoever and I felt sorry for O'Donnell in the full forward line as he hardly got 2 decent balls in the whole game.

Half-back line were in big trouble for all the game, and when Patrick Maher came on he completely ran amuck. Midfield was also in trouble and this is the 2nd game in a row when Nicky O'Connell has had to be called ashore early.
Half-forward line was non-existant. Sean Collins was completely dominated by O'Mahony and Conlon got a trademark point but other than that did not make any real positive contribution. We don't appear to have any ball winners up front and this is very worrying indeed.

A lot of work has to be done before meeting Cork the next day. It's a must win game for both teams.
At least Tipperary served as a reality check for us, and we have 2 full weeks to get ready for Cork. They will be smarting from their defeat to us a few weeks back so this should be a cracker of a game.

Roashter (Clare) - Posts: 238 - 02/04/2013 11:49:22    1359715

Link

Very disapointing on Sunday. Think we need Conlon in the half forward line to win ball, Lynch and Barrett have been given plenty of chances and neither are good enough for wing forward in my opinion, Barrett is a very good half back but i wouldnt start him there either. Galvin should start midfield to add a bit more pace to the area, Conor Ryan is not an inter county midfielder so should not start. i was wondering where Sean Collins has been all year but seen how he played on Sunday i can see why he didnt feature before. id like to see a 2 man full forward line of Honan and McGrath for the championship. Maybe start Kelly in the other corner and let him come deep and go where he wants so that he will be most effective, or maybe even Galvin in this role if he dosnt make midfield. We have to play to our strengths which are pace and skill, this is why the short game suits Clare better. What have we won or achieved in the last 10 years playing long direct ball??? and that was when we had 6 forwards who were capable of competing in the air and were very physical players ie Griffin, Carmody, Gilligan, McMahon, Nugent, Markham

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 02/04/2013 12:18:20    1359737

Link

if clare play conor mcgrath, darack honan and shane o donnell (or aaron cunningham) in an orthodox full forward line they will get you scores.. and more importantly probably goals.. . i would have seadna morey wing back even though this may be a little harsh on pat o connor.. and if nicky o connells form doesnt improve significantly i would drop him. this is the team i would like 6to see start the championship..

kelly,
o donovan, david mcinerney,pat o connor,
brendan bugler, pat donnellan,seadna morey,
colin ryan,colm galvin,
tony kelly,john conlon, aaron cunningham,
conor mcgrath, darack honan, shane o donnell.

cunningham is a very good hurler but more importantly is also good in the air.

firepower (Galway) - Posts: 45 - 02/04/2013 14:01:44    1359792

Link

cian dillon and nicky o'connell got to start

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 02/04/2013 16:21:26    1359872

Link

I've been a big fan of Nicky O'Connell but he has been very poor in last 2 games so I'm not so sure that he should start the next day.
I think Davy will be select him, but another bad game from him would be a disaster for his confidence and Davy will have to look at alternatives.

Conlon is another player that needs to step up, he has been on the panel a few years now but while he can be very good -is never consistant & difficult to rely on. Bugler, O'Connot, Lynch, Colin Ryan also need to show more leadership, as at the moment it looks as though Seadna Morey in defence & Tony Kelly in attack are the main leaders.

The Cork game is a great chance for Clare to get the show back on the road and realistically is a last chance for players to stake a starting berth for Waterford. Would like to see Darah Honan & Conor McGrath starting here, rather than coming on as an impact sub. If they tire, then simply take them off, but they need more game time at this stage

Roashter (Clare) - Posts: 238 - 02/04/2013 17:03:58    1359899

Link

Time to put the Tipperary game to bed. Clare just didn't turn up. We know Clare are better than that, lets just move on from here starting with this very important game at the weekend. I heard people saying after the Galway game that Clare are going to have a very good year and then after the Kilkenny and Tipperary games people have completely changed to this nonsense of Clare are going no where, Davy has to be sacked, hes picking the wrong team, game plan is a disaster. Its just ridiculous people need to be more realistic in victory and defeat. Just on the issue of the way Clare play with the short passing; just give them a year or 2 to perfect it. We have won NOTHING in the last 15 years giving long direct ball into the forward line, Davy is absolutely correct a change in the approach was clearly needed. We have the players to execute this tactic and it will lead us to success in terms of winning an All Ireland, i believe as early as next year.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 08/04/2013 12:41:05    1363030

Link

hurling expert

Did you set up that account just to troll ?? Clare ain't winning no all-irelands, I was delighted for them at the start of the league. Hurling needs a strong clare and I always admired them in the 90's but sadly your not making up the ground that fast. you'd be lucky to win one in the next 15 years

Doylerwex (Wexford) - Posts: 1680 - 09/04/2013 12:15:41    1363918

Link

doylerwex..... you obviously havnt a clue whats going on in Clare so take yourself and your bag of negativity back to wexford good lad

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 09/04/2013 16:18:50    1364169

Link

Right, my team for Sunday:

Kelly

O Donavan McInerney Patch

Bugs Donnellan Morey

Galvin Kelly

Conlon S. Collins Ryan

McGrath Honan O Donnell

I would love to see this team start. That is a potent full forward line. Conlon must play in the center forward line to win ball and with nicky out, I would pair Galvin and Kelly together in midfleild. Morey needs to play in the center back line. Leave David Mc full back and push Pat O Connor corner back, although I wish Flanagan was given a but of a run in the league because I think he is a future Clare corner back.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 10/04/2013 09:06:02    1364528

Link

ditto expert :) Well with the counties swapped

Doylerwex (Wexford) - Posts: 1680 - 10/04/2013 12:59:52    1364728

Link

It don't matter if Clare do lose tomorrow they be straight back up again next year.if yee win that's great and if yee do lose once yee learn form year mistake is all.league is league and thats all it is weather ur in 1a or 1b.I think Clare are a good team and champ is all that matters really if.yee can get a win over Waterford in year first champ game yee be well capable of getting to a Munster final or maybe even winning it if fitts forgets about winning an all ire and really focus on winning a Munster yee just might do it or is that not enough.best of luck tomorrow

oll (Limerick) - Posts: 693 - 13/04/2013 21:22:28    1367196

Link

Woo hoo!!! Fantastic result for clare! Cork relegated or will they be?? Well done Davy and all the boys! Ye did us proud

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1980 - 14/04/2013 17:34:35    1367467

Link

Well done lads ye put Cork down

Dan Breen (Tipperary) - Posts: 165 - 14/04/2013 17:39:20    1367470

Link