Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurlers 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To PeggyShippen:  "I think the management have to shoulder some responsibility for the two boys leaving. They didn't rotate the squad as much as they could have during the league. By giving the guys a game they could have prevented this. They are a big loss to a smallish panel.
For me Pat O Connor will struggle with the pace of summer hurling this year. And Conor McGraths pace is gone too. It's down to legs for the both of them. They've great hands and heads in today's 'helter skelter ' thsts not enough."
I agree with you Peggy that the present management must shoulder some of the responsibility.As a small county with limited resources we just cannot afford mistakes like that. AND THAT BRINGS US BACK to a very basic question, whythe hell did we let Davy go?? His love for Clare hurling and his loyaltY to Clare is unquestioned. And his ability asa manager of a hurling team is unequalled . I have always said and 1 always will say that the goons who out of jealousy got rid of him are our greatest enemies, It is not too late to recall him but e will probably have to wait now till this season is over.I know that working at home would be an exciting prospect for Davy.Many would welcome him back with open arms

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 26/03/2018 19:52:22    2088451

Link

Thanks for that Clareman, was it just since the limerick game that they left or was it prior to that game?

Its a real pity in both cases as i would have o'brien starting in our strongest team, but hopefully the year out allows him to regain full fitness.

On gudgy, i wouldnt have him starting but k do thing he was definitely deserving of more opportunities. He is a real tough, aggressive type of player and we dont have anyone similarly with these attributes so he is a loss!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 29/03/2018 15:27:32    2089350

Link

they both left after the waterford game as far as i know. There was no row, they just made their case and that was it. Gudgie i think is going to the US for the summer

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 29/03/2018 16:30:28    2089373

Link

Judging from matches played and strength of panels I think Clare and Waterford will be fighting it out for the 'Wooden Spoon ' in Munster. Would anyone disagree.
If the game was 11 aside non touch like the tournament in the states then I would give us a great chance of silverware.

PeggyShippen (Limerick) - Posts: 300 - 05/04/2018 18:08:20    2091303

Link

After watching yesterdays league final i think it is clear to see why kilkenny won the leagur as opposed to ourselves being in that situation. It all comes down to hunger. They have 2 of the best players in the game in pivitol positiond with buckley and tj. But its the appetite of yhr team for success that makes them the team they are.

Maybe having already won an all ireland takew away that 1 or 2% of drive from our lads!!

I believe overall we have as many if not more quality hurlers than they have but our hungrt for winning is not at the level theirs is - amd that is an absolute credit to cody. The eorkrate out of them was phrnomenal yesterday. And tipp simply couldnt match it!!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 09/04/2018 10:02:45    2091786

Link

small tight pitches also suit this KK team, their wins have come in walsh aprk, nowlan park and wexford park. Lets see them in croker or thurles in the summer but we all rush to fawn over them.

Tipp were missing Callanan, Bonar, Noel McGrath and bubbles only getting back to full fitness. They will be a different animal in the summer.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 09/04/2018 14:12:38    2091848

Link

Interesting point about the tight pitches, i hadnt considered that fact myself!

With the players both sides were missing yesterday they were fairly 50/50 on paper, but kilkennys workrate was what won the game for them in my opinion.

I still think that tipp are the best team in the country when everyone is available to them. The way i see it bubbles wont get into their strongest team at the moment and that shows the strength they have in the forward line!

They do have a problem at full back though, i wouldnt be comvinced by barry at all. Michael breen could be the type of player that would excel for them back there.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 09/04/2018 15:06:53    2091863

Link

Replying To PeggyShippen:  "Judging from matches played and strength of panels I think Clare and Waterford will be fighting it out for the 'Wooden Spoon ' in Munster. Would anyone disagree.
If the game was 11 aside non touch like the tournament in the states then I would give us a great chance of silverware."
As a staunch Limerick supporter I certainly do not feel either Waterford or Clare are candidates for the wooden spoon. The fact is Munster is wide open.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2341 - 10/04/2018 20:49:58    2092227

Link

Yep Oldtourman, spot on, it will be a bear pit. I think 2 teams might go out on scoring difference. The new format is good in that it gives team more games, and also home and away ties. For Clare, id rather play limerick or waterford in a packed Ennis with 20,000 (which it can hold, ignore the official stuff always reported) than a half empty thurles.

My only gripe is that it seems a bit rushed and also, a bit lopsided as Leinster doesnt look that close with 3 obvious candidates to qualify. Could we perhaps now go for an open draw? Keep the provincials as a separate knock out competition but reward the winners with a better 'draw' in the Liam MacCarthy?

Just a thought.

Limerick could well take down Tipp on May 20th and then their season opens up. They have the bones of a very good team.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 11/04/2018 09:33:20    2092282

Link

Is the capacity not 14,000 or less. There was 11000 at the under 21 Munster final between limerick and Clare and it felt full

PeggyShippen (Limerick) - Posts: 300 - 15/04/2018 12:29:07    2093080

Link

peggy whats announced and what is actually there are 2 very different things, any Clare person will tell you that :)

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 15/04/2018 21:09:46    2093152

Link

I'd agree with you 10 years ago but there's ticketing now so they won't be going over capacity. It's a lovely little ground but I do have my doubts on its capacity to host Munster championship matches. That stand redevelopment was very disappointing indeed.
What Are your under 21s like this year? Limerick are relatively strong but I'd never underestimate Clare's ability to ambush anyone.

PeggyShippen (Limerick) - Posts: 300 - 21/04/2018 13:58:21    2094213

Link

u21s not great and also missing a few key lads with serious injuries. Limerick will win well

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 23/04/2018 15:12:24    2094543

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "u21s not great and also missing a few key lads with serious injuries. Limerick will win well"
how do ye rate yere u 21 side the centre bk is the only name id recognoise...

munsterchamps (Limerick) - Posts: 810 - 06/05/2018 11:04:42    2096880

Link

As I predicted, an easy win for Limerick. The last 3 years our 21s have been hammered. Whatever about 2016 and 17, where Waterford and Limerick were fantastic and went out to win the All Ireland, this is a decent limerick side, but hardly world beaters, and yet they hockeyed us.

Yes we had some injuries to good hurlers like Shanagher and Noonan, but anyone in Clare who knows anything about hurling would say that was not the best 15 to pick..

Bar our minors last year, the last few years have been dismal for Clare underage. We cant let standards slip, good coaches are not involved, it has to stop.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 08/05/2018 10:37:45    2097222

Link

Was in Ennis last night the difference in physique & skill all too obvious Limericks under age programme with Money/Work/structure working the oracle we did have injuries but cant really use that as to much off an excuse.
I watched a Clare defender turned lost his man by 20 yards diden't even bother to chase back left it to 2 last line defenders against 3 forwards only for Limerick missing so many chances it would have been over at half time.

The Clare defender slapping out for the red card absolute nuts we needed everyone on board to have even the slighest chance Manager defending him today cant see how that is right let team & himself down

Very little senior players on view last night Goalie Full Back and bott McCarthys tries hard

Clare underage in a very poor place it seems

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 465 - 08/05/2018 11:20:37    2097237

Link

Just referring back to the under 21s game, I think it panned out fairly as expected. Even with limerick missing possibly there best player in peter casey they always looked like having too much for us.
It was not a good clare team in all honesty.
There are a few players who i do expect to push through though so its not as gloomy as some comments here suggest. The full back hayes had a very tough day at the office and he was below par but ive seen him several times and he is a quality hurler. He wasnt helped greatly by those around him but he is a player i expect bigger things from, jason mccarthy being the most senior player tried hard and i expect him to impress at senior level. Then some of last years minors can offer a lot in future, diarmaid ryan and aidan mccarthy are 2 hugely promising young players who I have little doubt can make it at senior level. Gary cooney is one i am unsure of but he does show signs of quality and i would have him as a possible rather than a probable future senior hurler. 4/5 players if they make it wouldnt be a bad return in my opinion.

Anyway looking ahead to next sunday, without being in the know with regards to recent challenge games, form etc. heres the 15 i would go with. 1Touhy 2Browne 3Cleary 4Morey 5O'Connor 6McInerney 7Fitzgerald 8Galvin 9Kelly 10Shanahan 11Duggan 12Reidy 13O'Donnell 14Conlon 15McGrath

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 14/05/2018 10:05:05    2100385

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Just referring back to the under 21s game, I think it panned out fairly as expected. Even with limerick missing possibly there best player in peter casey they always looked like having too much for us.
It was not a good clare team in all honesty.
There are a few players who i do expect to push through though so its not as gloomy as some comments here suggest. The full back hayes had a very tough day at the office and he was below par but ive seen him several times and he is a quality hurler. He wasnt helped greatly by those around him but he is a player i expect bigger things from, jason mccarthy being the most senior player tried hard and i expect him to impress at senior level. Then some of last years minors can offer a lot in future, diarmaid ryan and aidan mccarthy are 2 hugely promising young players who I have little doubt can make it at senior level. Gary cooney is one i am unsure of but he does show signs of quality and i would have him as a possible rather than a probable future senior hurler. 4/5 players if they make it wouldnt be a bad return in my opinion.

Anyway looking ahead to next sunday, without being in the know with regards to recent challenge games, form etc. heres the 15 i would go with. 1Touhy 2Browne 3Cleary 4Morey 5O'Connor 6McInerney 7Fitzgerald 8Galvin 9Kelly 10Shanahan 11Duggan 12Reidy 13O'Donnell 14Conlon 15McGrath"
Yeah id say most peoples team but they will have Cathal Malone starting he is favoured by Management and they will have John Conlon in half forward line id say thats the way they seem to think.

To have a chance we need to throw off the shackles forget these stupid strategies & tactics have a cut,
cut off stupid frees and Peter Duggan needs to have a stormer from play & frees and John Conlon needs to spend at least some time at Full Forward. Shane O Donnell will perform but Conor McGrath needs to up his game bit time off form for too long now.
Watching the Leinster championship yesterday its the basics that carry you over the line the missed frees crazy wides poor decisions with the ball.
Kilkenny masters of recycling until an opening appears TJ misses nothing 9/10 10/10 that's what's expected so come on now Peter Cometh the hour................ you can deliver for us and i think you will.

Who can make an impact from Bench apart from Cian Dillon who is proven at this level Jamie Shanahan Jason McCarthy & Ian Galvin probably maybe Dara Corry also.
We will miss the two Aarons from Wolfe Tones no Boddy Duggan either big losses

Without doubt a crucial game Munter is a minefield all strong contenders so good stttttttart badly needed

On the Banner

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 465 - 14/05/2018 14:10:59    2100564

Link

The Clare and Cork team are actually quiet similar in many ways, they both have a selection of serious quality forwards, while both have questionable defenses.
Apparently in a recent challenge game, cleary and mcinerney were swapped around. Which would be a strange call at this stage seen as they were in the same positions for all the league games aswell as the munster league games.
I also understand cian dillon is pushing hard for inclusion! It would be a surprise I would think as he was dropped last year and only rejoined the panel this year after the league!

I dont think we should fear cork but we have an awful record against them - losing 9 of our last 11 championship games against them. Home advantage i fear could swing it their way..

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 15/05/2018 12:07:21    2100934

Link

I can see this being 50/50. Clare know they need a good first game as yere panel is small. The closer the game is the more i see Clare winning by a few points. It 'll take a tremendous effort and I hope that Clare bring more than the one bus of Supporters unlike last year's Munster final. That was embarrassing.

PeggyShippen (Limerick) - Posts: 300 - 16/05/2018 16:52:27    2101435

Link