Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurlers 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "As i have been saying all week it isnt easy to come to Ennis and win. I tipped Clare because we have the players and home advantage and i was proved right. Limerick were very poor but the truth is our defenders won their battles. Our forwards were very good in the second half. Kelly was sublime. John Conlon continues his hurler of the year form. Simply superb.

Jamie shanahan was my man of the match though.

Limerick wrote us off as per usual ans got thought a lesson. This was a sweet sweet victory."
I do not think anybody wrote ye off. Why should anybody write off a team that beat Tipp in their back yard. This is a young Limerick team and no serious follower of Limerick hurling would have gone to Ennis today convinced we were going to win easily. Anyway I could remind you of a string of years when Clare played Limerick as firm favourites and lost, 55, 74, 79 81 94 and 96 all come to mind.
Anyway sincere congratulations, ye were simply brilliant. Enjoy the celebrations.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2341 - 17/06/2018 20:06:08    2112387

Link

Replying To luimneachboy:  "Lets just wait and see who is the final come August!!. Sweet sweet indeed!"
Well it wont be limerick. Most overrated team i have seen in awhile. No stand out players at all, where's your tj reed, joe canning, tony kelly, colm galvin, john conlon?. Sick of the limerick hype, outhurled, outmuscled and out taught today. Just make sure that bamdwagon doesn't break down on the way to carlow..

Dec82 (Clare) - Posts: 181 - 17/06/2018 21:57:46    2112441

Link

Replying To Dec82:  "Well it wont be limerick. Most overrated team i have seen in awhile. No stand out players at all, where's your tj reed, joe canning, tony kelly, colm galvin, john conlon?. Sick of the limerick hype, outhurled, outmuscled and out taught today. Just make sure that bamdwagon doesn't break down on the way to carlow.."
Iagree with you,DEC 82, LIMERCK did not -even have one player against Clare who could ris up and take that game by the scruff of the neck. Ifelt sorry for them and thieir lousy didplay. aftter all they are our good neigbours. Ihope we can expect better thins from them in the futire

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 18/06/2018 02:41:18    2112481

Link

Replying To PeggyShippen:  "No fantastic result for Clare. They really came good in the end and I think they 'll improve again for the Limerick game. Alot of this Limerick team including Kiely have won in Ennis though in the under 21 final a few years back. It 'll be a real test of where both teams are. Huge incentive for Limerick to possibly play Cork in the Gaelic Grounds in the final and get one over on the Banner.
Cleary left the gate wide open a few times in the centre. Mis controlled the ball at least twice and threw the ball under no pressure once. Tipp got a handy score out of it.
Clare have some tremendous supporters but the are a small hard core. Clare is the worst supported county in Munster numbers wise. There isn't anybody going to deny that. Waterford has a smaller population and have more solid support. There wasn't Clare man at the Munster final against Cork last year ....about 10 to 1 in corks favour. There were about 5000 Clare supporters in Thurles Sunday according to Munster council officials that live near me which was a big improvement.
Clare will be outnumbered Sunday again at home but that won't win Limerick the game. Clare are my second team by the way and I'm looking forward to a classic."
In fairness I thought Cleary was very good yesterday. Hannon showed his frailties at center back yesterday. He is too loose. Kelly was also to stroll through several times in that second half.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1986 - 18/06/2018 02:55:17    2112483

Link

Replying To Dec82:  "Well it wont be limerick. Most overrated team i have seen in awhile. No stand out players at all, where's your tj reed, joe canning, tony kelly, colm galvin, john conlon?. Sick of the limerick hype, outhurled, outmuscled and out taught today. Just make sure that bamdwagon doesn't break down on the way to carlow.."
"Most over rated team i have seen in awhile"........ I must say you would not look out of place on the sunday game panel so if you think that. Mind you your colleagues on the panel may argue with you. Limerick were not at the races yesterday. It was a game I was very wary of because going to ennis is a tough spot for any team. Now, I am a realist not like some looking for arguments on here but still firmly believe limerick will still have a huge say in this championship. Fair play to clare yesterday, won well and hurled well but this is also hugely down to the fact that limerick were very lethargic and tired looking. You may well say limerick didnt play well because clare didnt allow them but i would not agree with that. Limerick were poor yesterday and that was simply down to limerick being poor end of!!. For me anyhow it will be a lim v kk and wexford v clare quarterfinals. I think we would give kk a right crack but i can not see clare beating wexford. Limrick /cork all ireland final

luimneachboy (Limerick) - Posts: 237 - 18/06/2018 08:18:18    2112494

Link

Limerick are a fine team who had a bad day and were outplayed. THere is a big future for them but they need nash and casey inside. Dowling has never been good enough and they lack pace in certains areas but still maings of a good team.

Clare hurled well, the backs were excellent and gave them a great platform.

Tony Kelly gets a lot of unfair stick but his scoring rate is ridiculous and he never stops running and working. There is a bite to Clare thats been missing for a while. Great to see.

The Rediy red card was a joke, the condon one was a definite red. A cowardly thing to do.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 18/06/2018 09:38:01    2112520

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "In fairness I thought Cleary was very good yesterday. Hannon showed his frailties at center back yesterday. He is too loose. Kelly was also to stroll through several times in that second half."
Congratulations Clare.. Disappointing to see a few posters on here rubbing it in this morning. Limerick are very young and will learn from that harsh lesson. I'd pay any money to get Colm Galvin who's parents are from Limerick I might add( JP might get out the cheque book)he's such a creator and is more important than Kelly.
There's alot of analysis to be done by Limerick management who were beaten tactically yesterday. Limerick didn't use their size and strength advantage at all yesterday. Credit to Clare for not allowing them to physically dominate but Limerick played into Clare's hand. Home advantage was huge aswell. The shed in Ennis was a great atmosphere for the game. Lots of friendly interaction.
The only cautionary advice for Clare is that they really need to beat Cork. They will be alot more economical than Limerick and whilst I believe Clare can win they 'll need to dig deep to prevent another beating from Cork. It's like Cork are punishing you guys for 2013..time to hit rewind and nail them. Up the Banner.

PeggyShippen (Limerick) - Posts: 300 - 18/06/2018 09:51:44    2112526

Link

Replying To luimneachboy:  ""Most over rated team i have seen in awhile"........ I must say you would not look out of place on the sunday game panel so if you think that. Mind you your colleagues on the panel may argue with you. Limerick were not at the races yesterday. It was a game I was very wary of because going to ennis is a tough spot for any team. Now, I am a realist not like some looking for arguments on here but still firmly believe limerick will still have a huge say in this championship. Fair play to clare yesterday, won well and hurled well but this is also hugely down to the fact that limerick were very lethargic and tired looking. You may well say limerick didnt play well because clare didnt allow them but i would not agree with that. Limerick were poor yesterday and that was simply down to limerick being poor end of!!. For me anyhow it will be a lim v kk and wexford v clare quarterfinals. I think we would give kk a right crack but i can not see clare beating wexford. Limrick /cork all ireland final"
Well i wish ye well but haven't you forgotten Galway everyone's favourites to win AI

I fully expect us to beat Cork wee are much better side now and they only beat us a few points in Cork we will push up this time on their puckouts

Conlon at full forward (hurler of year so far) and Jamie Shanaghan addition to backs Tony Kelly back on song work rate discipline in backs superb freetaker and leader in Peter Duggan wins the dirty ball as well if Conor McGrath gets back on form as god as is around

For me Clare & Galway for all Ireland Fiinal

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 465 - 18/06/2018 10:02:12    2112532

Link

I hope the final is on in the Gaelic Grounds. I feel Clare would travel in much better numbers and they deserve better support than they get. Also Thurles is a hone game for Cork.

PeggyShippen (Limerick) - Posts: 300 - 18/06/2018 10:14:06    2112540

Link

I did say here last week that I thought Limerick were over hyped, however I didnt expect them to be quiet so poor!

We were fully deserving of an 11 point victory, the backs were very impressive. It was disappointing to see seadna go off so early, but fitzgerald had a great game and his replacing can only be for the fact that he was on a yellow and management were smart to replace him considering some of the shocking decisions the ref had made.

reidy's red card after byrnes farcical dive was the most ridiculous ive ever seen!!

limerick let themselves down yesterday with the behaviour of byrne's, condon and flanagan.

i think they will regret not starting gillane as dowling didnt do much and missed a simple free. also flanagan would have been more dangerous at 14 rather than in the corner.

duggans frees were excellent, kellys hard work in the first half was rewarded on the scoreboard in the second, fitzgerald and shanahan were quality. conlon again showing incredible leadership and class.

i hope seadna is ok for the munster final, it seemed to be a bang on the knee rather than a twist so hopefully he'll be ok.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 18/06/2018 10:38:57    2112554

Link

we were beaten by a much better team yesterday,dont think clare are 11 points better but that was result.i was disappointed that kiely played an extra back in 2nd half as jamie shan did what he liked..i said at start of year i fancied clare and limerick to qualify but cork are the team i didnt expect.i feel ye have a super chance of beating cork,galvin and kelly are flying,duggan has become a real leader and conlon is playing better than ever before.davy fitz gave a superb answer to being dropped,mc inerney is a class defender in my eyes and i thought cleary was excellent.i think ye,re management must decide on mcgrath or odonnell because i wudnt play both,think podge is a definite now.i think ye are a better team than cork and ye will be more physical which they dont like.i hope reidy gets to play because ive never seen a decision on a red card like that,disgraceful.best of luck in munster final.

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 966 - 18/06/2018 11:18:18    2112577

Link

Replying To PeggyShippen:  "Congratulations Clare.. Disappointing to see a few posters on here rubbing it in this morning. Limerick are very young and will learn from that harsh lesson. I'd pay any money to get Colm Galvin who's parents are from Limerick I might add( JP might get out the cheque book)he's such a creator and is more important than Kelly.
There's alot of analysis to be done by Limerick management who were beaten tactically yesterday. Limerick didn't use their size and strength advantage at all yesterday. Credit to Clare for not allowing them to physically dominate but Limerick played into Clare's hand. Home advantage was huge aswell. The shed in Ennis was a great atmosphere for the game. Lots of friendly interaction.
The only cautionary advice for Clare is that they really need to beat Cork. They will be alot more economical than Limerick and whilst I believe Clare can win they 'll need to dig deep to prevent another beating from Cork. It's like Cork are punishing you guys for 2013..time to hit rewind and nail them. Up the Banner."
Don't think anyone is rubbing it in.

Limerick have the potential to be the top team in Ireland but ye underestimated Clare. I said last week I expected us to win as we were at home and we are rarely beaten at home. Limerick lads expected a win as ye always tend to do v Clare.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1986 - 18/06/2018 12:29:46    2112606

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "Don't think anyone is rubbing it in.

Limerick have the potential to be the top team in Ireland but ye underestimated Clare. I said last week I expected us to win as we were at home and we are rarely beaten at home. Limerick lads expected a win as ye always tend to do v Clare."
Disagree 100% that " we always expect to win against clare"... I have followed limerick with 40 years, always hopeful but thats that. I was extremely wary of going to ennis, in fact i would have given us a better chance v KK or Galway in Thurles. I Still think we have a big say and if we were to meet clare again neutral venue id be extremely hopeful of winning but not expecting. In regard to red cards, tom Condon deserved his, reidys looked harsh. But for everyone saying about " the diving/ put on injury" by byrnes, i think its very wrong. 1: it was the ref that decided on the red, 2: on the replay last night on sunday game it showed it all from behind and not in front of both players. Yes no malice by either reidy or byrnes but the two must have made contact with eachother and byrnes came off the worst, winded etc. Disgusting to see people claim diarmuid played it up,, those people obviously have not seen him come through the ranks..hes not that type of player

luimneachboy (Limerick) - Posts: 237 - 18/06/2018 13:21:49    2112634

Link

Replying To luimneachboy:  "Disagree 100% that " we always expect to win against clare"... I have followed limerick with 40 years, always hopeful but thats that. I was extremely wary of going to ennis, in fact i would have given us a better chance v KK or Galway in Thurles. I Still think we have a big say and if we were to meet clare again neutral venue id be extremely hopeful of winning but not expecting. In regard to red cards, tom Condon deserved his, reidys looked harsh. But for everyone saying about " the diving/ put on injury" by byrnes, i think its very wrong. 1: it was the ref that decided on the red, 2: on the replay last night on sunday game it showed it all from behind and not in front of both players. Yes no malice by either reidy or byrnes but the two must have made contact with eachother and byrnes came off the worst, winded etc. Disgusting to see people claim diarmuid played it up,, those people obviously have not seen him come through the ranks..hes not that type of player"
Say what you like about him but the tv angle did not look good. It looked like blatant cheating

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1986 - 18/06/2018 14:39:22    2112668

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "Say what you like about him but the tv angle did not look good. It looked like blatant cheating"
Lads, ye must have 18k clear high def televisions in clare or something.... because it was a case of reidy and byrnes coming together when neither were actually looking at each other. They hit each other and diarmuid came off worse, winded i would expect. For heavens sake what had he to gain by falling in a heap otherwise. " Blatant cheating"... lads i thought ye were above resorting to those type false comments.

luimneachboy (Limerick) - Posts: 237 - 18/06/2018 16:08:42    2112707

Link

Replying To luimneachboy:  "Lads, ye must have 18k clear high def televisions in clare or something.... because it was a case of reidy and byrnes coming together when neither were actually looking at each other. They hit each other and diarmuid came off worse, winded i would expect. For heavens sake what had he to gain by falling in a heap otherwise. " Blatant cheating"... lads i thought ye were above resorting to those type false comments."
I agree we need to drop it now it wasen't D Byrnes fault that referee & umpires got it wrong
Both would have played in LIT together and probably good friends perhaps people think that because Diarmuid is such a big man that he made a meal out off it but D Reidy is a sturdy player so as Anthony Daly said they diden't even see each other collided and Byrnes came out worst off it.
Everyone makes mistakes but definately a bad year for referees

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 465 - 18/06/2018 16:30:55    2112716

Link

Replying To luimneachboy:  "Lads, ye must have 18k clear high def televisions in clare or something.... because it was a case of reidy and byrnes coming together when neither were actually looking at each other. They hit each other and diarmuid came off worse, winded i would expect. For heavens sake what had he to gain by falling in a heap otherwise. " Blatant cheating"... lads i thought ye were above resorting to those type false comments."
I agree we need to drop it now it wasen't D Byrnes fault that referee & umpires got it wrong
Both would have played in LIT together and probably good friends perhaps people think that because Diarmuid is such a big man that he made a meal out off it but D Reidy is a sturdy player so as Anthony Daly said they diden't even see each other collided and Byrnes came out worst off it.
Everyone makes mistakes but definately a bad year for referees

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 465 - 18/06/2018 16:31:00    2112717

Link

Look if the two lads ran at eachother from 20 yards apart then id have no problem with the reaction from byrnes. if you watch the clip of the incident at normal pace, i wouldnt even call it a bump nevermind a shoulder. byrnes moved towards reidy and merely touched off him and went to ground. byrnes is an excellent hurler and a powerful man, theres no way that could have hurt him not to mention wind him! what he had to gain was the clare player getting sent off, thats why players dive in any sport - to gain an unfair advantage. he is probably feeling very embarressed about his actions and will surely never do that again now!!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 18/06/2018 16:40:51    2112724

Link

Replying To clooney:  "I agree we need to drop it now it wasen't D Byrnes fault that referee & umpires got it wrong
Everyone makes mistakes but definately a bad year for referees"
Agree 100%

luimneachboy (Limerick) - Posts: 237 - 18/06/2018 16:41:29    2112727

Link

Replying To luimneachboy:  "Agree 100%"
Some of he gaa reporters on the Clare -Limerick match surmised that Limerick did so poorly was because they were tired from their exertions aftr two tough games prior to their encounter with Clare. I have a more obvious reason.Limerick were just not good enough,and were beaten by a fitter and faster Clare team

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 18/06/2018 19:21:20    2112793

Link