"Doctors have said that I can't continue"

June 11, 2019

Former Galway footballer Cormac Bane

Two serious concussions have forced former Galway footballer Cormac Bane into retirement.

A Connacht SFC winner with the Tribesmen in 2008, the Caherlistrane clubman suffered the head injuries in 2018 and this year and has followed medical advice to hang up his boots.

Bane made 49 appearances for his county between 2006 and 2012. He used his club’s Facebook page last night to announce his immediate retirement:

“Hi guys, a disappointing day for me today. On medical grounds, I have to announce my retirement from football with immediate effect. A serious and prolonged concussion injury last year has been followed by a similar one sustained v Carrraroe.

“It’s been a rough couple of weeks! Doctors have said that I can’t continue. I just want to thank you all for your support and kind messages over the years. I really appreciated it. Cormac.”



Most Read Stories